Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
That certainly was an episode. :stonk:

New Angela gave me flashbacks of "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!" :iia:

Maybe the AI companions being on All-Out-Attack strategy caused at least part of the deaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

No, that fight is simply badly designed.

The boss barrages you with strong fire spells requiring active dodges (by the way, you have a dodge button. Use it).
Meanwhile the floor is lava, adds keep spawning in, and the boss has also two "gently caress you"-sized AoEs. Plus status effects.
Seriously, both the vanilla bonus superboss and the new bonus superboss have less poo poo going on than this jerk gate.

In addition, the AI is simply BAD. AI Angela is the least bad of the bunch because she understands how to magic, even if her fire rate leaves something to be desired.
Apart from that, they have serious problems keeping up an offense, they barely understand dodging out of the red zones, they instead absolutely understand dodging INTO red zones, and they treat their CS gauge like it was a Megalixir. Man, this gives me flashbacks to WoW raiding :v:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That's neat. Each of Riesz's costume changes keeps her keepsake ribbon around. Valkyrie Riesz has it wrapped around her wrist.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bil and Ben were about 10000x easier in this version because they do not react to literally every screen freezer ever by removing your spine by way of your mouth.

I no-damage-bonused it on both playthroughs. :smugdog:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

It does seem like tier II class strikes deal more damage... when you can land the full combo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bill and Ben are mostly fair actually.
Their worst thing is the multi-target jutsus next fight and the only gently caress you they have is the Resurrection. It's a big one, mind, but it can get a player at most once. Everything has proper tells and there's plenty of dodge space.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

You're not giving them enough authority to use class strikes - you're telling them to save 75% of their meter (and use only 25% of it) when the Tier I strikes cost 33% of the meter after the first class change.

ETA: Oh good, you did figure it out.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, it's so weird to see Hawkeye's words and actions actions actually line up for that scene with Niccolo. I'm so used to the fan translation which inexplicably has him threaten doing a violence while on hands and knees with head bowed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So from Level 18 on, it seems like you gain training points at a 3/2 levels rate; every odd-numbered level gives 2 points instead of 1. It coincides with the number of training points needed to gain new abilities increasing from 2 to 3 and may be intended to allow you to build up stats that you haven't done much with up until now. I assume the same thing will happen with Tier 3 classes at level 38.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Trying to go for strength as Hawkeye is a mistake imho, dark Hawke is arguable the second best caster in the game, (closely) behind Angela.

Also: "I don't need to save(again)" right before the boss fight :downs:

Edit: By the way, right now you only have two debuffs: Water diversion and thunder diversion. Earth diversion is just pure damage.

Edit2: Decision Bell time, one of the best OSTs in the game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 15, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Torrannor posted:

Trying to go for strength as Hawkeye is a mistake imho, dark Hawke is arguable the second best caster in the game, (closely) behind Angela.

Also: "I don't need to save(again)" right before the boss fight :downs:

Edit: By the way, right now you only have two debuffs: Water diversion and thunder diversion. Earth diversion is just pure damage.

Edit2: Decision Bell time, one of the best OSTs in the game.

Uh, you mean Fire Diversion? Earth Diversion and Thunder Technique are learned later on than Water and Fire Diversion.

(But yes. Earth Diversion deals noticeably more damage compared to other jutsus which makes it Hawkeye's go-to jutsu for damage in this game and this is intentional because Hit/Evade buffs and debuffs are no longer a thing.)

I'll note that what I did for my playthrough with Dark!Hawkeye was to basically dump everything into Luck (to learn his moves) and Intelligence (to increase his damage and get the Ninja Chain ability). It was pretty straightforward to build Hawkeye in this game compared to the original.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So for those who are curious, here's the rate of training point gain.
Spoilered just in case.

Level.... Training Points
01-20... +1
21-40... +1.5
41-60... +2
61-70... +3
71-75... +4
76-80... +5
81-85... +6
86-90... +7
91-95... +9
96-99... +10

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So full disclosure I'm about 10 episodes ahead of the LP now because I love playing this drat game.

Spoilers lie ahead for the second half of the game (Level 35+):

I'm level 38/39 on my characters after releasing the Benevedons. Does the game expect me to farm ??? seeds now? Or will it be more entertaining if I just play along and wait for them to come to me?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Natural 20 posted:

So full disclosure I'm about 10 episodes ahead of the LP now because I love playing this drat game.

Spoilers lie ahead for the second half of the game (Level 35+):

I'm level 38/39 on my characters after releasing the Benevedons. Does the game expect me to farm ??? seeds now? Or will it be more entertaining if I just play along and wait for them to come to me?

Being intentionally vague:
I didn't until my third, which was also when I started finding them off enemies. That third was a LOT easier afterward but it's also considered one of the worst parts of the game anyway so it's difficult to gauge.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Also being vague: I farmed for all of 'em before the first Benevedon.

It made the first few ridiculously easy, although part of that may have been the handful of levels it gave me in the process.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say just let them come to you as you go along.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You shouldn't have to farm them.

There's 1 in a chest in each of the places you haven't been. Opening all of those up at once on a new playthrough should get you one of each item so you can class change however you want.

Farming them will just subject you to the RNGness of them from the originals, without being able to save scum them the same way.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Not exactly.

If you have six seeds (and have not used any/changed anyone to third class), and plant all 6 at the same time you are guaranteed one of each item.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Weeble posted:

Not exactly.

If you have six seeds (and have not used any/changed anyone to third class), and plant all 6 at the same time you are guaranteed one of each item.

This is not at all the case. I did this in all three playthroughs and got duplicates every time.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Huh.

I've never gotten duplicates.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Seeds are weird. Hence why I said 'should.' I'm convinced there's some RNG proofing in there but there's plenty of people who had to farm things that I can't tell where the proofing starts.

The only guarantee is that you will never get a seed you cannot use to class change, IE a Duran Class item in a team without Duran.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One difficulty is that seeds on a first playthrough and NG+ are definitely handled differently. As I understand it your first six seeds (or maybe all seeds until you have the six items) are coded to not give an item you already have, but you don't "have" it yet if you grow multiple seeds at once. After that, including NG+, it's open chance.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Bruceski posted:

One difficulty is that seeds on a first playthrough and NG+ are definitely handled differently. As I understand it your first six seeds (or maybe all seeds until you have the six items) are coded to not give an item you already have, but you don't "have" it yet if you grow multiple seeds at once. After that, including NG+, it's open chance.

I am pretty sure it's not the first 6 seeds, but rather the seeds specifically from the chests. On my new game save I went around collecting all seeds from the chests before fighting the bosses and got 2 extra ones from enemies, when I planted them I had 2 duplicates and the rest were all unique.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh god the thread became a Control document.

There are 6 of those in chests, in each new dungeon (so not in Gusthall, you've already been there).
Once you have 6, plant them one at a time. There's an RNG protection that should prevent dupes, although from reports it doesn't seem to work for some people.

You need to keep the items you need until you have the three you want though, or the RNG protection stops working.

Farming them is not an option early on because enemies start dropping them after 4 cleared dungeons IIRC. I don't know what party level that puts you at, but at least 50.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 16, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Farming them is not an option early on because enemies start dropping them after 4 cleared dungeons IIRC. I don't know what party level that puts you at, but at least 50.

2 cleared, I was finding them in my third.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Your pot also needs to be levelled up. 3 and you'll barely start finding them

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Just go with the flow, Natural20. When in doubt, channel your inner Yorkshire Tea. What would they do?

Think of it this way: Farming is boring to watch. Editing videos to cut out all the farming is just extra work for you. Which, I assume, would also be boring to do.
Even if you like editing or don't have to edit the episodes yourself, would farming really add anything other than extra time to make the game easier?

In conclusion, not farming is how it is done in Laurent. Stay true, Nat20. :frogc00l:

Pea fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's true, those ladies live all in one castle, there's no room for any agriculture there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And the only notable thing that grows in the immediate region is somnosa flowers. Real classy there ladies. Real classy.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
If you haven't left Beuca yet, you should speak to everyone in Tomatotown before leaving.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

And the only notable thing that grows in the immediate region is somnosa flowers. Real classy there ladies. Real classy.

This and the mention of only working once brings a thought to mind: Why the hell does Laurent not deliberately expose themselves to the flowers to immunize themselves? That's a hell of a weakness to leave unaddressed.

If I were there, I'd suggest dragging all the new recruits to the somnosa meadow... as a hazing ritual, if that's what it takes to convince them. Or plant a somnosa garden in the castle. Or SOMETHING that results in mass immunization being standard.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if it's just implied or outright stated, but I'm pretty sure the ninjas used the flowers in their invasion, which also justifies why some of them didn't fall asleep: Those are the ones who actually delivered the spores into Laurent, so they're immune.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

CptWedgie posted:

This and the mention of only working once brings a thought to mind: Why the hell does Laurent not deliberately expose themselves to the flowers to immunize themselves? That's a hell of a weakness to leave unaddressed.

The wind blew the spores in a direction not safe for hazing rituals, is my guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CptWedgie posted:

If I were there, I'd suggest dragging all the new recruits to the somnosa meadow... as a hazing ritual, if that's what it takes to convince them. Or plant a somnosa garden in the castle. Or SOMETHING that results in mass immunization being standard.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if it's just implied or outright stated, but I'm pretty sure the ninjas used the flowers in their invasion, which also justifies why some of them didn't fall asleep: Those are the ones who actually delivered the spores into Laurent, so they're immune.

It's equally incomprehensible why the ninjas didn't immunize themselves after they took Laurent, but that's just one of many story loopholes. Why didn't Koren quickly finish off the Hero King? Why didn't the ninjas murder all amazons? There cannot have been that many amazons outside the castle. Instead the ninjas retreat for a bit, allowing a lot of the Laurentians to escape, and then they fully take the castle? Why do the beast men leave Jadd just because the Priest of Light put up a stronger barrier in the caves?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Torrannor posted:

It's equally incomprehensible why the ninjas didn't immunize themselves after they took Laurent, but that's just one of many story loopholes. Why didn't Koren quickly finish off the Hero King? Why didn't the ninjas murder all amazons? There cannot have been that many amazons outside the castle. Instead the ninjas retreat for a bit, allowing a lot of the Laurentians to escape, and then they fully take the castle? Why do the beast men leave Jadd just because the Priest of Light put up a stronger barrier in the caves?

The ninjas not immunizing themselves can easily be explained with "they're being mind controlled by someone who doesn't actually need to keep the castle." I mean, why else would she just disappear as soon as she's done taunting you?

Koren doesn't finish off the Hero King because he's a cocky bastard who's just proven that the entire Valsena army isn't a threat to him, so obviously he can come back anytime he wants and finish the job.

The ninjas not finishing off all the amazons can probably be explained with "they're being mind controlled by someone who assumes they're not a threat and thus not worth bothering to finish them off." Belladonna certainly strikes me as that sort of villain.

The beastmen... I dunno, either "searching for an alternate route" or "wandered off to invade someone else while they're waiting for someone to open up the new barrier." Take your pick; they both seem pretty likely to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Nevarl Kingdom was pretty much set up to fail. That's why Laurant wasn't hard to take back because the villains don't actually care about it (and thus sabotaged their efforts in keeping it.)

Crimson Wizard's cocky but I imagine even he knows it'll take more than a single spell to bring down the Hero King. I mean, it's the Hero King. And the wizard ran out of time to do that when the party shows up. Also he kind of accomplished his goal there anyway, which was 'making sure Valsena isn't a threat' and had other things to do.

The Beastman invasion failed, but also succeeded. They wanted to strike a blow to the people's of the world by invading Wendel. Their invasion prompted the Priest of Light to put his own life at risk (and effectively take Wendel off the map) with a strong barrier. Which struck a blow to the people of the world. So uh, mission accomplished.
I imagine they got bored of holding Jadd and just went home.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the Nevarl invasion was just to gain access to the Wind Stone, but the Darkshine Knight beat them to it.

Same with the Beastmen and Jadd. When we dropped the barrier to Wendel, they were likely able to reach the Light stone under the cover of invading Wendel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.