Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
OOOHH YEAH. great work Kommander.

But I don't envy you playing the next mission. What are the penalties of just skipping a mission? is it worth it?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
In this case? Yeah, probably. LMAO they're all Sharpshooters too :allears:

You should have bought beam pistols over the serpent suit upgrade and tried to OK Corral it with six magnificent plasma heaters. Or just camp four squadsight snipers on high ground while two Sparks go find targets for them.

Yes, the AI does put a lot of weight on the "grenade multiple targets" priority. So much so that I've watched an Advent Mec teamkill the Warlock in order to grenade the Ranger and Templar who just slashed him. It usually works out well for them in terms of guaranteeing damage to your troops and shredding cover. I find it a tad frustrating, because even if you're in hard cover, the only way to really prevent unstoppable damage to your troops is to kill every single grenade carrying enemy on the opening move. Still not as annoying as an Assassin with shadowstep and planewalker. I hate planewalker so much.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FairGame posted:

We will nevertheless continue and win this campaign, but you have no idea how much cursing I did at a certain point in tomorrow’s episode. You’ll know it EXACTLY when you see it.

To those about to die, we salute you!

And a fond farewell to Apples and Deadford as well. What a bloody week is has been.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man how did you not open up with a rocket there, I was drooling. Five of them all stacked up in a tight circle!!!!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack posted:

Man how did you not open up with a rocket there, I was drooling. Five of them all stacked up in a tight circle!!!!

Because I couldn't. SilentSnack was already visible after the opening pod, and rocket range isn't sufficient to open up from out of range.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blaster Bomb.

FYI, what Spark bombard does is give you a once-per-mission ability that causes an explosion anywhere on the map. Infinite range, doesn't need LoS. It's pretty sweet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's honestly kind of fun to see our gameplay differences, and how they somehow always boil down to my willingness to blow the gently caress out of everything compared to your, you know, actual tactics :v:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Wahey! Low Profile! Of all the unfun things the game could throw at you, it goes for a Low Profile supply raid just after Sectopods enter the enemy assortment. I think there's a very good chance of there being plenty of chonky enemies guarding those supplies.

Grapplejack posted:

It's honestly kind of fun to see our gameplay differences, and how they somehow always boil down to my willingness to blow the gently caress out of everything compared to your, you know, actual tactics :v:

Mindless destruction definitely counts as a tactic. Peace Through Expanding Clouds Of Plasma, I like it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's 100% worth getting the munitions expert one, mostly to replace your grenades with acid bombs, because those are infinitely better than plasma grenades.
e: the acid bomb does the same amount of damage as the plasma grenade but coats everything in its radius with acid and does 4 points of armor shred. The only downside is that it doesn't destroy cover but you're not using it against things in cover.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2020

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
FairGame

Am I in any of the queues? I can't see myself in the recruits pool?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ooooofff.

On the one hand, it does suck that I'm not finished with training. On the other hand, with my poor character LP luck that means I will probably survive a bit longer.

Comedy options. Equip Sugaraddict with the Serpent Suit and watch as he and the vipers panick and hide from each other.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sad King Billy posted:

FairGame

Am I in any of the queues? I can't see myself in the recruits pool?

Pretty sure you were with the rookies in the abandoned structures that I ignored. Don't think you're getting into this campaign for a while, if at all. Sorry!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm curious about something. If you use Threat Assessment on a panicked soldier, will they still take their overwatch shot?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gothsheep posted:

I'm curious about something. If you use Threat Assessment on a panicked soldier, will they still take their overwatch shot?

I don't know, but I'm guessing not. Not because "panicked units won't shoot," but because overwatch requires 2 tiles of movement in visible range, and usually when someone panics, they hunker, and lose all visibility.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

FYI, what Spark bombard does is give you a once-per-mission ability that causes an explosion anywhere on the map. Infinite range, doesn't need LoS. It's pretty sweet.

Is it possible to just get 6 sparks on "kill the objective" mission and just instawin it at turn 1?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Is it possible to just get 6 sparks on "kill the objective" mission and just instawin it at turn 1?
I don't think you even need six. Yes, you can do it, but the game will still make you sweep the map of hostiles, or hoof it to the evac zone through pods of angry aliens after exploding the VIP. The only thing I can see it being good for is original recipe Avenger defense, where I have done exactly that. I believe it took two bombards and 1-2 blaster bombs to kill the McGuffin, and the WAR suit wearers had to leave the ramp a bit to get in range. You do still need some way of getting vision on the target though: the game won't let you launch them into the fog of war.

Three Sparks plus backup/spotter is actually a surprisingly strong squad. High shred, high DPS, lots of heavy weapons + rainmaker buff, good action economy thanks to multiple overdrives. Immune to fire, poison, and mind control.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

It's 100% worth getting the munitions expert one, mostly to replace your grenades with acid bombs, because those are infinitely better than plasma grenades.
e: the acid bomb does the same amount of damage as the plasma grenade but coats everything in its radius with acid and does 4 points of armor shred. The only downside is that it doesn't destroy cover but you're not using it against things in cover.

The one bad thing about acid bombs is that they don't destroy cover. My typical Grenadier loadout is acid bomb and either a plasma or a flash, depending on what I expect to be facing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fairgame it's too bad your PC isn't very beefy, since the tactical legacy pack for xcom 2 is pretty cool and I think you'd really enjoy it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

He's playing it on PS4

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

biosterous posted:

He's playing it on PS4

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what eventually kills this run of Xcom2.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what eventually kills this run of Xcom2.

I've never owned a PS4 but do things like this actually help? I'm surprised how popular they are in terms of Amazon sales.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

cambrian obelus posted:

But I don't envy you playing the next mission. What are the penalties of just skipping a mission? is it worth it?

It's rarely worth it to skip a mission.

For Guerrilla Operations, there is no penalty for not picking one and skipping a set. Failing one causes the attached Dark Event to fire right a way. On the other hand, they are guaranteed to be non-evac missions so they are a good place to get alien corpses in addition to the reward in the mission briefing.

If you lose an Avenger defense mission, you lose the game (except if you are playing Ironman where it gives you the option to restart).

Every other mission type causes you to lose the sector if you let it time out or fail it. If the sector is the one that you start the game with, you don't lose it but you take a penalty to that region's income.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

bpACH posted:

Every other mission type causes you to lose the sector if you let it time out or fail it. If the sector is the one that you start the game with, you don't lose it but you take a penalty to that region's income.

Oh, is that why that happened? I'd assumed it was just random if you lost the region entirely or just some of the region's value.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

God drat, nice mop-up of that surprise double pod at the end of that last mission. I haven't seen much of this game but my defining memory of sectopods is them double-tapping a unit to kill it, and having ludicrous dodge chance when they go into tall mode.

And yes, screw these sitreps, especially so late in the game. But I get to go on my first covert op, in the footsteps of our fallen homie Apples. Come to think of it did we ever do that final "hunt the assassin" mission? Or did it expire and we're waiting for it to pop again?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crazy Achmed posted:

God drat, nice mop-up of that surprise double pod at the end of that last mission. I haven't seen much of this game but my defining memory of sectopods is them double-tapping a unit to kill it, and having ludicrous dodge chance when they go into tall mode.

And yes, screw these sitreps, especially so late in the game. But I get to go on my first covert op, in the footsteps of our fallen homie Apples. Come to think of it did we ever do that final "hunt the assassin" mission? Or did it expire and we're waiting for it to pop again?

We already finished it. We just haven't run the actual mission to invade her lair and kill her yet.

The various "Hunt the Chosen" Resistance ops are always available if you haven't completed them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Scrub team did it :allears:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Good job scrub team!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy poo poo I'm a voodoo pimp looking Santa, I love it.

Good job scrub team!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh no a vip rescue mission and I just came out of the infirmary :ohdear:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The little squaddies that could! Big laffo at the sectopod faking Reign out like that. Looming over him only to spin 180 degrees and go after the turncoat across the map.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, sectopods are apparently programmed to hate traitors. Go team squaddie!

Also, there definitely can be more than one sectopod on a map, but it was also not a normal mission when I ran into them.

When double agent procs, does it actually remove an Advent soldier from one of the pods, or do you just spawn with a spare one?

Donkringel posted:

Holy poo poo I'm a voodoo pimp looking Santa, I love it.
Next on War of the Chosen: Black Santa fights evil aliens with a machete.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

That Santa dude is awsome, especially the frosty white on the legs armor.

Also, THE MACHINE will always call this to mind first and foremost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paG1-lPtIXA

Dancer
May 23, 2011
"yeah, I was with XCOM. Only got sent once though. I did get to kill a sectopod!"

"yeah, yeah, cool story Frank..."

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
The squaddies done good! They'll make a movie about it when all this is over - The Sectopod, The Spark and The Squaddies. A knockabout wartime caper full of thrills, spills and cowering behind trees.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dancer posted:

"yeah, I was with XCOM. Only got sent once though. I did get to kill a sectopod!"

"yeah, yeah, cool story Frank..."

"The sectopod actually fell on me! Check out the scar it left!"

Honestly, with the way other missions have gone you couldn't ask for a better tenure with XCOM. Show up for one mission, take on a big bad, complete the objective with aplomb, then retire (maybe with promotion) and never go on a squaddie grinder mission again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You know how the various Star Trek shows would occasionally have an episode that would focus on a bunch of random low-ranking dudes who only ever showed up for that one episode and then were never seen again?

This was one of those episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"you can skip all the way ahead to 28:30... so we've got what looks like 2 regular dudes"
I did not skip ahead to 28:30

I'm so proud of all my sniper kids! If only there weren't timers on pretty much every other mission.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 16, 2020