Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

arent the numbers going down because they're no longer reporting them as thoroughly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

why do I keep reading the comments :cripes:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/HouseGOP/status/1261298800435568642?s=20

i remember the long ago days of early march, when greater than a 5% positive rate was considered wild, out of control spread

there's also the thing about the "rapid test" not working half the time and still being widely used, and apparently the numbers are a week or two old when they get released

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Malcolm XML posted:

That thing has a 80% NPV and 98% PPV, (positive=survival, negative=death), so IMO it's only useful as a tool to determine if you're not gonna die

Ok let's look at it another way

How do you improve those 3 markers?

Marker 1: Lactic Dehydrogenase

quote:

The increase of LDH reflects tissue/cell destruction and is regarded as a common sign of tissue/cell damage.

https://www.healthline.com/health/lactate-dehydrogenase-test

quote:

Large amounts of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) may lower LDH levels. Alcohol, anesthetics, aspirin, narcotics, and procainamide may raise LDH levels. Strenuous exercise may also raise LDH levels

Marker 2: Lymphocyte

quote:

Lymphopenia is a common feature in patients with COVID-19 and might be a critical factor associated with disease severity and mortality.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/node/4088

quote:

In general, lymphocytopenia (a low lymphocyte count) occurs because:

Many acquired diseases, conditions, and factors can cause lymphocytopenia. Examples include:

Infectious diseases, such as AIDS, viral hepatitis, tuberculosis, and typhoid fever.

Autoimmune disorders, such as lupus. (Autoimmune disorders occur if the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s cells and tissues.)

Steroid therapy.

Blood cancer and other blood diseases, such as Hodgkin's disease and aplastic anemia.

Radiation and chemotherapy (treatments for cancer).

Marker 3: High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein

quote:

The increase of hs-CRP, an important marker for poor prognosis in acute respiratory distress syndrome, reflects a persistent state of inflammation. The result of this persistent inflammatory response is large grey-white lesions in the lungs of patients with COVID-19 (seen in autopsy).

https://labtestsonline.org/tests/high-sensitivity-c-reactive-protein-hs-crp

quote:

Taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen) or statins may reduce CRP levels in blood. Both anti-inflammatory drugs and statins may help to reduce inflammation, thus reducing CRP.

Women on hormone replacement therapy have been shown to have elevated hs-CRP levels.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

arent the numbers going down because they're no longer reporting them as thoroughly?

Seriously, how does anyone not understand this? Trump and friends decided that they can't stop the virus anymore, so they switched over to trying to fool the public into thinking it's not as bad as it really is which means fudged numbers everywhere.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol a guy who would post that the virus is liberal bullshit on every single one of a nurse friends posts on Facebook’s wife just had to go to the hospital for covid and he is screaming about calling the police for harassment because we screenshotted his now deleted posts about how anyone who gets this is weak and survival of the fittest and posted them in response to his asking for prayers.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
So stock up on Vitamin C, Ibuprofen and Naproxen I guess - aspirin is bad for LDH

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TMMadman posted:

Seriously, how does anyone not understand this? Trump and friends decided that they can't stop the virus anymore, so they switched over to trying to fool the public into thinking it's not as bad as it really is which means fudged numbers everywhere.

If journalism in this country still had any integrity, they would be tracking hospital admissions rather than official test rates.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Well the Miller's should be happy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1.5 million cases holy gently caress

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

jisforjosh posted:

Well the Miller's should be happy

mein fever and dry cough

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

fosborb posted:

mein fever and dry cough

sick heil

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

I can't remember the study off the top of my head, but some hazard ratio analysis was also showing statins significantly improving outcomes.

Are there bad side effects of regularly taking naproxen?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

free 2day shipping

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Shut the thread. Covid is done. Thank you trump

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I can't remember the study off the top of my head, but some hazard ratio analysis was also showing statins significantly improving outcomes.

Are there bad side effects of regularly taking naproxen?

Eats your stomach lining like aspirin and ibuprofen

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Starks posted:

I’m having trouble even parsing this post let alone figuring which part is ironic (Brazil has 200 million people) so I’ll just chime in to say that Amazonas is already in dire straits and will soon be a humanitarian catastrophe: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brazil-coronavirus-bolsonaro-1.5550341

the point of my post was not that Brazil is small. I know brazil is huge and the death number is small in comparison. It's all out of context data to sell a macabre story about stacking bodies as if that's even rare in the first world during normal times.

The out of context numbers are not very helpful especially if I'm not well versed on the statistics of the country at hand hence the 'i love this kind of reporting'

my comments about standards was that countries are all vastly underestimating Total Death Counts. It would be helpful, for comparisons sake, if they all under counted using the same most efficient method. Should of spelled it out better.

sorry for the confusion. I post in c-spam so of course i'm not coherent

That story does not share good news.

pigz has issued a correction as of 00:10 on May 16, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I thought NSAIDs were negatively associated with covid outcomes?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

MorrisBae posted:

Eats your stomach lining like aspirin and ibuprofen

RIP. Looks like exercise and a decrease in BMI also reduce CRP significantly so that's the way to go.

Low intensity fat burning cardio is probably extremely good at improving your resiliency to covid given these factors.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

1.5 million cases holy gently caress

It's basic Math!

Getting 20k to 30k cases each days means 600k to 900k total cases each month.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1261430334748573699

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea that a few months of poor sales (and not at a peak time of the year I assume) was all that stood between a company like JCPenney and bankruptcy.

Edit: I guess JCPenney itself was limping to begin with though.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 00:21 on May 16, 2020

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had no idea that a few months of poor sales (and not at a peak time of the year I assume) was all that stood between a company like JCPenney and bankruptcy.

They have been limping along for the past few years so its not surprising the covid stressors got them.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
About to catch probe in the Los Angeles thread for suggesting don't open er up actually, and no don't test the legal limits of what is safe actually, and then having people jump down my throat for it

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Zil posted:

They have been limping along for the past few years so its not surprising the covid stressors got them.

it was, as they say in the biz, immunocompromised

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Using covid as the excuse to shut down a failing business and not blame the execs for 'bad luck' is going to happen a lot as vulture capitalists try to cash out / regrift.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

snoo posted:

why do I keep reading the comments :cripes:

Dunno about in the US, but here you get tested for the flu as well as covid if you have flu-like symptoms. Flu cases are down dramatically because social distancing and frequent handwashing lessen the spread of many viruses. They also rolled out flu vaccine a few weeks early because of covid and there was a much larger uptake than normal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lolie posted:

Dunno about in the US, but here you get tested for the flu as well as covid if you have flu-like symptoms. Flu cases are down dramatically because social distancing and frequent handwashing lessen the spread of many viruses. They also rolled out flu vaccine a few weeks early because of covid and there was a much larger uptake than normal.

Cool that means it can take off when we go back into public. Maybe we can have two different flu seasons happening at the same time.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

MorrisBae posted:

Ok let's look at it another way

How do you improve those 3 markers?

Marker 1: Lactic Dehydrogenase

https://www.healthline.com/health/lactate-dehydrogenase-test

Marker 2: Lymphocyte

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/node/4088

Marker 3: High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein

https://labtestsonline.org/tests/high-sensitivity-c-reactive-protein-hs-crp

Biomarkers often don't have utility for therapeutic targeting. These are like the tracks left behind from the covid tiger that inform you of the dire situation. You can try filling in the tracks, but the tiger that's nearby can still eat you.

LDH is a leakage enzyme, so altering the small amount of natural extracellular levels won't change the infection destroying cells and releasing large amounts.

Lymphocytes are being consumed from the infection, so low levels likely mean they're dying in the covid wars.

CRP is one of many inflammatory proteins, so targeting it by itself won't do much. Inflammation causes a lot of collateral damage, so keeping it under control while allowing it to clear the virus is a fine line to walk. Bats carry lots of viruses because they tolerate their presence and don't run an effective immune response against them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zil posted:

yeah they're definitely part of that "mall anchor" group of big box retailers that couldn't make a pivot to something sustainable as malls have been dying or being replaced by strip malls

this now means that, of all the anchors in the mall I grew up going to, Target is the only company of the 4 still operating

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Samurai Sanders posted:

yeah even in the magical world where the Invisible Enemy is already defeated and we enter a V-shaped recovery within a month or two, i don't think department stores are gonna be a thing anymore

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Azathoth posted:

yeah they're definitely part of that "mall anchor" group of big box retailers that couldn't make a pivot to something sustainable as malls have been dying or being replaced by strip malls

this now means that, of all the anchors in the mall I grew up going to, Target is the only company of the 4 still operating

macys?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Samurai Sanders posted:

they got VCd. Covid was just an excuse, like Amazon Christmas sales for toys r us and helium shortages for Party City (:rip: snoo)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

they got VCd. Covid was just an excuse, like Amazon Christmas sales for toys r us and helium shortages for Party City (:rip: snoo)

yep, retail is doing fine right, like millennials arent killing "stores"

even tho they should be

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hah, I looked and I was wrong, apparently Sears is technically still operating a few stores (though the one in the mall I went to has closed), but no Macys, none of that fancy poo poo. We had a Target, a JC Penneys, a Sears, and a Herbergers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1261314977752907778?s=20