Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Hendrick's isn't really gin, it's more it's own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That's neither fair nor accurate. Hendricks is certainly Gin. Hendricks is not a London Dry Gin, nor does it claim to be. Hendricks can be subbed in for London Dry Gin in almost any cocktail that calls for it and you will get a drink that is slightly different but still immediately recognizable as a gin cocktail.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I really like Aria gin, but I'm not sure what its flavor profile is most similar to. They also have a version aged 12 weeks in a Rose Vermouth barrel so it's like a martini in a bottle.

Also, recommend me a grenadine that's not just purple syrup.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I really like Aria gin, but I'm not sure what its flavor profile is most similar to. They also have a version aged 12 weeks in a Rose Vermouth barrel so it's like a martini in a bottle.

Also, recommend me a grenadine that's not just purple syrup.

Pomegranate juice + equal parts sugar + your choice of orange zest, lemon zest, rose water, orange flower water, or all or none of the above, + a bit of pomegranate molasses. If you do it stove top just do it very low heat, unless you like the cooked flavor. It will be pretty sweet and pretty concentrated; it will last a long time.

Use less sugar if you want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a list somewhere of cocktail type terminology (preparations?), eg swizzle, flip, smash, etc? All my searching has lead me to specific drinks (Manhattans, martinis, whatever), but not the broader classifications.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a list somewhere of cocktail type terminology (preparations?), eg swizzle, flip, smash, etc? All my searching has lead me to specific drinks (Manhattans, martinis, whatever), but not the broader classifications.

For that kind of thing, I might recommend that you read Imbibe! by David Wondrich. It's a book on the development of the mixed drink from the very first definition of "cocktail" at the turn of the 19th century. Originally these terms were generic descriptions of preparation that would have the liquor applied to them; the Old Fashioned is what was called a "whiskey cocktail", because a cocktail specifically referred to liquor, sugar, water/ice, and bitters. A sling would be liquor, sugar, and water/ice (so a cocktail was sometimes called a "bittered sling" in slang of the time). Before the days of specific named recipes for everything, that was the system in the US.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Had a couple Hendricks + Martini & Rossi martinis, first was the 6:1 ratio from wikipedia and I didn't care for that too much so the second one I made 3:1 and liked it a lot more. Added a little olive juice and liked it even more. The Hendricks overpowers the vermouth so I'm curious to try it with different ingredients. I'm sure it would taste even better if I had the proper glassware ;)

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

wormil posted:

I went ahead and bought the Martini & Rossi and then at least when I find a better vermouth I'll appreciate it more. I'm surprised actually I went to the better grocery store in town they have a fairly good wine selection I expect them to have more options.

I'll check at the ABC store and see if they have any. I want to branch out and try more gin anyway. So far I like Hendrick's and Tanqueray.

M&R is cheap and lousy in a perfectly serviceable, standardized, plain-McDonalds-hamburger kinda way. Noilly and Dolin are going to be significant upgrades, particularly if you are using a higher ratio of vermouth (which you should!).

If you like Tanq, I find the Tanq Ten to be one of my all time favorite gins.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Imbibe! is a strong recommendation, and also just a very pleasant read. That said, I think that an updated cocktail taxonomy would be very useful, and now I'm thinking it might be worth an effortpost.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

CleverHans posted:

M&R is cheap and lousy in a perfectly serviceable, standardized, plain-McDonalds-hamburger kinda way. Noilly and Dolin are going to be significant upgrades, particularly if you are using a higher ratio of vermouth (which you should!).

If you like Tanq, I find the Tanq Ten to be one of my all time favorite gins.

Here's another vote for Tanq Ten.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Grabbed some Tanqueray and Sapphire and I can see why the Sapphire is so popular in martinis because it's very good with the vermouth. I think the Hendrick's is better in gin & tonic. The Tanq is good but there seems to be an underlying bitterness. I definitely prefer the martinis dirty though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite bartender prefers to recommend Tanqueray 10 whenever someone requests Tanqueray in a drink. I don't think I've had a Hendrick's and tonic but I imagine the flavor would be incredibly refreshing and I should try that soon.

For my current James Bond thread, I did some Noilly Prat with tonic (Fever Tree) and it was a great hot weather drink over ice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been drinking whisky for the last decade but occasionally foray into other liquors and gin is one I keep coming back too. It's also about margarita time, might grab some tequila and Cointreau next trip. I prefer them simple, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, no sugar/simple syrup.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

wormil posted:

I've been drinking whisky for the last decade but occasionally foray into other liquors and gin is one I keep coming back too. It's also about margarita time, might grab some tequila and Cointreau next trip. I prefer them simple, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, no sugar/simple syrup.

Try a Tommy's margarita. Just tequila, lime, and agave syrup, no salt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And then buy mezcal and make it with that.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Be a pretentious rear end in a top hat and infuse tequila with jalapeño in a whipping siphon and then clarify some lime juice with agar agar then make a margarita with it both of those and some simple syrup and carbonate it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Didn't even acid adjust the like juice smh

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Really looking forward to mint cocktails when my plant really gets going. Mojitos with Wray and Nephew overproof white and my hybrid mint julep old fashioned thing with Branca Menta. I even have some mint-lime Wegman's seltzers to use for the soda component.

The Wray and Nephew overproof white is an unorthodox choice just the VA ABC was affected by covid, can't shelf shop, and i wanted something with some character.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Honestly a Wray & Nephew Daq is really good, way better than it has any right to be.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It also makes a crazy Last Word. Strong as hell though, with the Chartreuse in there too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Drinking a mojito right now. I used up all my simple by infusing it with blood orange so I made a lime honey syrup in a hurry

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

prayer group posted:

It also makes a crazy Last Word. Strong as hell though, with the Chartreuse in there too.

This is real good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tried a “Written Word” tonight (Last Word with Cointreau instead of Luxardo), it was very nice.

Love that luxardo though

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Didn't even acid adjust the like juice smh

Hey now, I've also made the crazy fake lime juice with citric, malic, tartaric, and phosporic acid (it's not good enough to replace lime juice as an actual ingredient imo but it is def enough to replace a squeeze of lime)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Honestly a Wray & Nephew Daq is really good, way better than it has any right to be.

if youre gonna do that you might as well add green chartreuse and make it a nuclear/atomic daq

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I swear until tonight I’d never noticed green Chartreuse was 55% alcohol lmao.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is that why it's $3,000 a bottle?

Slight hyperbole.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I swear until tonight I’d never noticed green Chartreuse was 55% alcohol lmao.
Yep. Make a Diamondback with 100-proof apple brandy and rye to be both delicious and capable of getting you where you want to go in a hurry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, all I've got's this Calvados I've been trying to find a good use for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay I impulse bought Del Maguey Vida mezcal. First glass, it seems really good and a little smokey and yeah mezcal feels like a cheap way to get some of that flavor.

So what do I do with it (other than sip neat, which I'm already happy with the bottle for)? I have regular ol ango bitters but no other kinds...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Okay I impulse bought Del Maguey Vida mezcal. First glass, it seems really good and a little smokey and yeah mezcal feels like a cheap way to get some of that flavor.

So what do I do with it (other than sip neat, which I'm already happy with the bottle for)? I have regular ol ango bitters but no other kinds...

Mezcal margarita yo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Mezcal margarita yo

Forgot to get fresh citrus...my head's kinda not in it right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep. Make a Diamondback with 100-proof apple brandy and rye to be both delicious and capable of getting you where you want to go in a hurry.

Good suggestion btw, I ended up using apple schnapps and bourbon but it was deffo worth making a second one

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s a decent run for mixing? I’ll probably make pain killers with it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Data Graham posted:

drat, all I've got's this Calvados I've been trying to find a good use for.

Diki-Diki Cocktail

Calvados
Swedish Punsch
grapefruit juice

The classic recipe is 2:1:1 but I prefer Dr. Cocktail's proportions: 1 1/2 oz, 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz

I guess this only helps if you have Swedish Punsch, but if you don't,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMqiFCOaqA&t=25s

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

nwin posted:

What’s a decent run for mixing? I’ll probably make pain killers with it.

Pusser’s is the traditional painkiller rum, so much so that they actually hold a trademark on the cocktail.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Diki-Diki Cocktail

Calvados
Swedish Punsch
grapefruit juice

The classic recipe is 2:1:1 but I prefer Dr. Cocktail's proportions: 1 1/2 oz, 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz

I guess this only helps if you have Swedish Punsch, but if you don't,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMqiFCOaqA&t=25s

I feel like if someone's like, "I have Calvados what should I make with it" and you recommend a recipe with Swedish Punsch that's like the biggest flex imaginable.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 17, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Kenning posted:

I feel like if someone's like, "I have Calvados what should I make with it" and you recommend a recipe with Swedish Punsch that's like the biggest flex imaginable.

I mean what else do you make with it except a fancy sidecar or fancy jack rose? Anything else would have even less common ingredients

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jack Roses are a good impetus to make your own grenadine if you haven't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Calvados Old Fashioneds are fantastic, either as a straight replacement or a split-base with bourbon or rye, though a little seasonally inappropriate right now.