Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

a computer is spite frying a persons hdds

evidently and we must suffer too op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

but, like, raid is not backup. this is a great example of how it's not. if this was all in a fileserver, and he lost 4 drives due to a failing psu or a surge or any other reason, the array is still gone.

did i loving say it was?

the point is 8 hard drives stuffed in a gaming rig is grody, put that poo poo in a dedicated box stuffed in a closet somewhere

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have a pretty big home NAS and i back it up offsite

it sucks to have to consider that part into the costs equation when deciding to get a NAS cuz you don't want to think about it but it truly is part of the cost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

now that's a name i haven't heard in a very, very long time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sniep posted:

i have a pretty big home NAS and i back it up offsite

it sucks to have to consider that part into the costs equation when deciding to get a NAS cuz you don't want to think about it but it truly is part of the cost

boo hoo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SO DEMANDING posted:

did i loving say it was?

the point is 8 hard drives stuffed in a gaming rig is grody, put that poo poo in a dedicated box stuffed in a closet somewhere

its sloppy, yes, but doesnt have anything to do with the failure, except that a server psu might be more reliable

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone have an Amazon Fire tablet (preferably the 7) and a Spotify account, can you get Alexa to control Spotify? I get a "i can't play from spotify music on that device" response and I don't know if its a setup thing or if its specifically not supported. Googling says probably the latter which sucks, I can ask for my TuneIn radio shows to be played but not my Spotify playlists? :mad:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SO DEMANDING posted:

did i loving say it was?

calm down mate. chumbawumber4eva64 is a forums legend now and if an individual wants to do something you think is stupid just let him do whatever and don't ruin his day coz you presume your idae is superior.

chumby... can you write a book or song about your times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

[*]Buy some new drives to back up everything to. I think the 10TB WD externals are a pretty good value.

just ordered these. thank you

Raluek posted:

[*]Back up two of your *working* drives to new drives, so that anything that happens to them will not destroy the only copy of data.

i actually have em already because i was literally going to start doing regular backups tomorrow which is why this situations is all the more insane

Raluek posted:

[*]Swap the PCBs between the two working drives. Do they still work after?

it looks like i only had 2 that were really close to each other in terms of PCB model numbers and stuff. they were still off by a little but the first line of numbers was the same

the dead drive began spinning! however, windows did not recognize the drive. i'm guessing this could be due to either there being a BIOS involved (god i hope not) or the model number of the pcb not being 100% identical

Raluek posted:

[*]If no, we know that they are paired with the drive somehow, or the "identical" drives aren't. If you're feeling adventurous, you could poke around with a voltmeter and compare a bad board to a good one, but be careful. The only time I've attempted to repair a drive PCB I had success, but it was because there was a physically damaged component that was obvious to see, which I replaced from a junk drive. Probably no similarly easy win here.

i do have a voltmeter; what exactly should i try checking with it?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 11, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
and yes a lot of it is lunix ISOs and blu-rays i've ripped and music and stuff like that but it doesnt really matter, if it was in a synology and a bad PSU or messed up UPS is what's causing it i would still be in the same mess so thanks for trying to make me feel like a moron when i already do but it wouldnt have changed anything, it's not like i got bitcoin malware and that's why my drives can't be accessed or something

the home movie VHS rips are what i need. i can always re-rip Super_Mario_Bros_The_Movie_(1993).mkv

sports
Sep 1, 2012
does anyone know who makes good ram i bought corsair ram for a ryzen 2400g b450 thing and the display crashes every minute or so when crunching triangles i dont know i did sticks test and it says its good sticks

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

sports posted:

does anyone know who makes good ram i bought corsair ram for a ryzen 2400g b450 thing and the display crashes every minute or so when crunching triangles i dont know i did sticks test and it says its good sticks

Same thing with just one of the sticks (It might bitch and moan about only one stick but it should still boot)?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sports posted:

yeah. corsair is ok

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i mean i have gskill ram and it seems fine to me,

your motherboard's manufacturer should have a supported RAM list on their site

sports
Sep 1, 2012
this rams not on the supported ram list initially/identical ram was patched on i think but i really didnt expect it would be such a poo poo show
edit: rams on QVL but with different non hynix chipset gently caress

sports fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 12, 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

imma be honest i've never actually bought ram based on the mobo makers lists lol

u have any other ram you can test with to make sure its the ram? memory settings in the bios are correct?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

imma be honest i've never actually bought ram based on the mobo makers lists lol

same, i haven't seen problems with dimm compatibility since single-sided sticks hosed up all those people with pentium 3s

if you're running some insano timings or overvolting or whatever then that stuff starts mattering but at sane timings (sub-3600 let's say), "defective" is a way safer bet than "incompatible"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sonic: gotta go fast

computer: hold up now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

u have any other ram you can test with to make sure its the ram? memory settings in the bios are correct?

yeah. ive also never heard of a mobo that doesn't work with corsair ram, but i also don't have an amd

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am trying to fix one of the five dead hard drives. This particular one receives power just fine, but blue screens any windows pc I plug it into. Same for linux

I managed to find a dos version of western digital diagnostic tools and it detected the drive just fine. I had it scan the drive for errors and it found none which is great. Also it means this drive won't crash dos.

That being said, is there any disk repair utility for dos? I tried chkdsk on my floppy drive but it only discovered the A:, probably because the hard drive is sata. Western Digitals diagnostic utility in dos found the drive just fine

Does anyone know of one that I can try?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 14, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
you dont wanna try to repair the filesystem in-place, if the drive is already partly hosed. you're not supposed to do anything that would write data do the bad drive

what you wanna do instead is try to make a block-level copy of the drive. in linux you would typically use dd

once the data is exfiltrated from the drive, you can try to piece the filesystem back together with utilities

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Helianthus Annuus posted:

you dont wanna try to repair the filesystem in-place, if the drive is already partly hosed. you're not supposed to do anything that would write data do the bad drive

what you wanna do instead is try to make a block-level copy of the drive. in linux you would typically use dd

once the data is exfiltrated from the drive, you can try to piece the filesystem back together with utilities

it's weird tho, WD tools (running in DOS; the only place i can plug the drive in and not crash a computer) saw zero errors on the drive

so say i boot into ubuntu or something and i have the bad drive plugged in (which itself kinda crashes ubuntu) what do i do next? open a command prompt and type dd?

aside from some python scripts and android fuckery i am not really well versed in linux :shobon:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a health checker or whatever isn't a data recovery attempt; don't do that to a failed/failing drive please :ohdear:

data recovery software that saves its info elsewhere is what you want, in a pinch dd's fine, i like ntfs phoenix (when i can't use deepspar, anyway), other people have their own preferred doodads

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ok thank you! so is this what i do?

1) use my usb stick with a live boot ubuntu on it and plug it into my POS office computer
2) plug in the 8tb SATA drive that's giving me problems, and a brand new external 8tb drive
3) boot up into ubuntu
4) type some sort of command (dd + a bunch of other stuff i'll probably never figure out on my own) to get it to copy everything from the messed up drive to the new drive

?

and when that's done the data on the new drive will only be readable/useful after i do something else as well? if so, what is that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving the chumbawumber saga

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the saga of mr wamber

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
this is too high stakes for you to be just trying random poo poo. i dunno if that data is recoverable or not. but what i do know is that the situation is stable as long as the drives are unplugged and away from environmental hazards.

that means you have time, so take it easy

specific dangers: liquids, fire, electric shock, strong magnetic fields, kinetic (being dropped, bashed apart by a hammer, run over by a car, shot thru by a gun, etc)

if the drive is blue screening immediately, you're troubleshooting with a multimeter, not a linux live CD

if the OS can see the drive, but not mount, you can try to use linux or a file system recovery tool, like people are suggesting

either way, avoid writing anything to the bad disk. copy the data off to another disk somehow

but if i were you, i would try your recovery process on a good drive first to make sure you know what you are doing first

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Sagebrush posted:

but god drat like seriously who needs 64 terabytes in tyool2020

echinopsis posted:

bad rear end mother fuckers

noone on here then

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i would try your recovery process on a good drive first to make sure you know what you are doing first

this

take your time and dry run first

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

maybe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wt

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

My drive spins down
I spin it up again
You ain't never gonna shut me down

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

this is too high stakes for you to be just trying random poo poo. i dunno if that data is recoverable or not. but what i do know is that the situation is stable as long as the drives are unplugged and away from environmental hazards.

that means you have time, so take it easy

specific dangers: liquids, fire, electric shock, strong magnetic fields, kinetic (being dropped, bashed apart by a hammer, run over by a car, shot thru by a gun, etc)

if the drive is blue screening immediately, you're troubleshooting with a multimeter, not a linux live CD

if the OS can see the drive, but not mount, you can try to use linux or a file system recovery tool, like people are suggesting

either way, avoid writing anything to the bad disk. copy the data off to another disk somehow

but if i were you, i would try your recovery process on a good drive first to make sure you know what you are doing first

i found the DOS version of western digital datalifeguard tools or whatever it's called and it detected the drive just fine. i had it run a deep scan overnight and the drive came back with zero errors after like 12 hours of scanning.

this was in DOS though. it crashes any windows PC it gets plugged into, and glitches out linux if i try to access the drive there as well.

is there any way you recommend getting the data off this drive to a brand new one?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
quit scanning your drive for errors, you obviously know it has a problem. you're gonna make everything unrecoverable.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2020

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My drive spins down
I spin it up again
You ain't never gonna shut me down

he makes a bios brick, he makes a mobo brick
he makes a harddrive brick, he makes a memory brick
he runs the checks that remind him of the good times
he runs the scans that remind him of the best times

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik posted:

quit scanning your drive for errors, you obviously know it has a problem. you're gonna make everything unrecoverable.

yeah i started it before reading the rest of this thread, i'm not gonna do that any more. but it's very reassuring that it passed.

i just need to know the lunix command i need to type in to copy this hosed up drive to a new blank one i just got

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dd

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm typing dd into a terminal window and it's not doing anything.

The source disk is dev/sdc1. The new empty hard drive is dev/sdb1

What do I type exactly?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
is

sudo ddrescue - f /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb1

OK to run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dd if=/dev/deadharddrivepartition0 of=/dev/goodharddrivepartition0 bs=1M

_do not mix up the if and of arguments._

it's a completely silent op so don't expect progress bars or anything. just let it go.