Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

teacup posted:

So Morrison leading the charge to get an international investigation into the origins of coronavirus- what is the end game here?

Originally I thought it was just red meat to the racist base but it looks like labor support it as well (lol) but also now like- many countries including now the collective EU support the idea?

Now that it’s hurting trade so much for us with beef and barley exports being hit why is this so important to us? Is it a matter of it wasn’t at first but we shouldn’t back down on principle? Or is this investigation actually going to result in getting China to admit something?

Genuine questions- I legitimately don’t understand what can be gained here, but also realise if it was completely unimportant then we wouldn’t risk blowing up our relationship for it.

We've probably been chosen to provide "evidence" for the USA's next invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

Oh also we don't want to risk the new born getting exposed to anything.

Because we don't know where the lady who was infected went during the two weeks she was about were going to wait till next weekend now to see if things are given the all clear.

Gridlocked had a baby 😊. Congrats mate! (pincushion)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Quantum Shart posted:

Don't conflate legitimate criticism of the CCP as racism.

Definitely not meaning to come across that way.

Most of the responses seem to confirm my suspicion that... the libs legitimately want an investigation into it to just be better at it next time and are willing to stick their necks out for it?

I am just so used to spineless bullshit they I dismissed this before

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

teacup posted:

Definitely not meaning to come across that way.

Most of the responses seem to confirm my suspicion that... the libs legitimately want an investigation into it to just be better at it next time and are willing to stick their necks out for it?

I am just so used to spineless bullshit they I dismissed this before
Your first instinct was the correct one. Australia is spearheading this push entirely in concert with our American 'partners'. Our Neoliberal overlords don't even have the spine to withstand pressure from the US. It could be further speculated that this is a way to loosen China's grasp on the WHO but I think that places far too much weight on the clowns in charge in the US and Australia being able to think further than lunchtime on a good day.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-15/australia-china-trade-stoush-over-coronavirus-inquiry/12241640

With any luck this completely myopic and out of proportion 'stoush' will cause a bunch of primary producers to tell the Nats and LNP to go gently caress themselves when the time comes (lol like that will ever happen). Not that China is blameless here in promoting this discord to further it's own agenda. That however, if anything, points out what complete plonkers we, as a nation, would have to be to let things get to this point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The today show woman beat up on a kid speaking on behalf of UV kitchen workers by calling him lazy and then telling him to get a job in another industry. Why would you even agree to go on a show that only has demented boomer reach? Pointless.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Gonna be a interesting tight rope walk for the gov.

Keep the rhetoric up while also getting as many international students back into the country as possible.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

realbez posted:

Gridlocked had a baby 😊. Congrats mate! (pincushion)

Not my baby, my friends baby.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well wishes withdrawn.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

realbez posted:

Well wishes withdrawn.

Please donate them to someone in need.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

The today show woman beat up on a kid speaking on behalf of UV kitchen workers by calling him lazy and then telling him to get a job in another industry. Why would you even agree to go on a show that only has demented boomer reach? Pointless.

What is the best response to this idiotic thought process? "Alright, I'd like your job please, I'm sure I could do a better job."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

What is the best response to this idiotic thought process? "Alright, I'd like your job please, I'm sure I could do a better job."

"Get hosed."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

If all the people who did my job disappeared, or all the people who did your job disappeared, which do you think the general public would choose?

So maybe we don't want all workers in my position to "get a better job".

Alternatively

JBP posted:

"Get hosed."

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
While that would make for some compelling television I would probably watch 5 times over, it'd just make them look like a twat. I'd rather enjoy watching the host search for an answer when it's up to them to solve the issue.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What do you guys call that psychological life stage in parents and grandparents where they want Dick Smith to be everything.

Went over for Mothers Day earlier and Dick Smith should: Buy Virgin, Buy Telstra, Fix NBN, Become Prime Minister, Stop Coronavirus. All in one conversation.

Does Dick Smith regular in Sky News because my older section of the family now wants him to fix everything because he is a "smart businessman"

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Anidav posted:

What do you guys call that psychological life stage in parents and grandparents where they want Dick Smith to be everything.

Went over for Mothers Day earlier and Dick Smith should: Buy Virgin, Buy Telstra, Fix NBN, Become Prime Minister, Stop Coronavirus. All in one conversation.

Does Dick Smith regular in Sky News because my older section of the family now wants him to fix everything because he is a "smart businessman"

I get people thinking an Aussie should (I think it’s dumb nationalism but I get it) like if they said Gerry Harvey or something because at least he had a successful at the moment business.

But dick smith has what? A failed food line, a failed chain of shops?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Sounds like your grandparents are just die hard superfans.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What was that ad he had years ago where it was interspersed with people saying "I love dick"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

teacup posted:

I get people thinking an Aussie should (I think it’s dumb nationalism but I get it) like if they said Gerry Harvey or something because at least he had a successful at the moment business.

But dick smith has what? A failed food line, a failed chain of shops?

Buddy being in business for 50+ years and selling the majority to Woolies for a huge amount of cash is hardly the definition of a failure in retail.

E: wow I had a look, he sold the entire business to Woolies in the 80s.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 17, 2020

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JBP posted:

Buddy being in business for 50+ years and selling the majority to Woolies for a huge amount of cash is hardly the definition of a failure in retail.

E: wow I had a look, he sold the entire business to Woolies in the 80s.

I didn’t realise he did that. Regardless then what has he done lately.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
back on the beers!
https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1261807402162155520

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Didn't Dick Smith try to unseat Tony Abbott?

He can't be that bad.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Illuminti posted:

Also your new born is probably one of the safest humans in the world from Corona!

While they did think this was true for a long time; and newborns are STILL far safer from this than seniors and people with heart conditions and hypertension etc; there is a growing concern among paediatricians working in Corona hot spots about an inflammatory condition similar to Kawasaki syndrome that seems to follow the virus in children. It's still a small minority of cases, but it does highlight once again the fact that we have been overly focused on the case fatality rate, rather than the potential long term impacts of COVID-19.

You definitely shouldn't take any risks with regards to your children under the commonly misheld assumption that the virus would just pass through them and leave them unaffected either way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

teacup posted:

I didn’t realise he did that. Regardless then what has he done lately.

Nothing lately but he did a fair bit in the 80s as a young man. He seems preoccupied with nothing but protectionist lobbying after 2000. The food business was a nfp I think.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wikipedia says that in the last decade Dick Smith has been involved in advocacy for various things including limiting population growth and increasing taxes for the rich. I'm too lazy to read it all but it sounds like his views on population growth are complicated - he seems to want to decrease immigration but accept more refugees. I'm sure there's something bad about it but it doesn't sound terrible.

quote:

On 6 December 2016, Smith spoke in support of the One Nation party's policy of reducing immigration to historical levels of about 70,000 per annum whilst at the same time rejecting its leader Pauline Hanson's call for a Muslim ban.

Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't say what his opinions on the NBN or Coronavirus are :v:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i thought dick smith was just another example of relevance deprivation syndrome so keeps saying things to keep in the media.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JBP posted:

Nothing lately but he did a fair bit in the 80s as a young man. He seems preoccupied with nothing but protectionist lobbying after 2000. The food business was a nfp I think.

Maybe I’m just too young to understand why people think he’s a good business man. I’ve just associated him with low key racism and isolationism lately.

But then again even if he was successful still it doesn’t mean he can run an airline

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

Maybe I’m just too young to understand why people think he’s a good business man. I’ve just associated him with low key racism and isolationism lately.

But then again even if he was successful still it doesn’t mean he can run an airline

I think you'll find that making money anywhere perfectly qualifies you to make money everywhere.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

Wikipedia says that in the last decade Dick Smith has been involved in advocacy for various things including limiting population growth and increasing taxes for the rich. I'm too lazy to read it all but it sounds like his views on population growth are complicated - he seems to want to decrease immigration but accept more refugees. I'm sure there's something bad about it but it doesn't sound terrible.

Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't say what his opinions on the NBN or Coronavirus are :v:

Despite common rhetoric there are legitimate reasons to want population control. It isn't all automatically racism.

Speaking in the long term (though not even that long, this century for sure) worldwide population control is going to be the only way to prevent rolling famines. Current food production can support maybe 12 billion people, but current food production is already unsustainable.

The best ways to limit population is education of women and free birth control (including vasectomies as well). No death camps, and no means testing or equivalent, including rich nations. Get the global birth rate below 2 and hold it there until our population is back around a billion.

Only dumb racists claim that poor countries are currently the problem, but you also have to be pretty blind to not see that poor countries can't get to the point of western resource use with the worlds current population.

To say that population control isn't an issue is also saying that we can have a good standard of living using maybe 1/10th or less the per person resource use of the average western nation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think huge African populations would be sustainable with some infrastructure, but you'd have the kill a lot of people who are on the take in the west and in the third world.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Turks posted:

Despite common rhetoric there are legitimate reasons to want population control. It isn't all automatically racism.

Speaking in the long term (though not even that long, this century for sure) worldwide population control is going to be the only way to prevent rolling famines. Current food production can support maybe 12 billion people, but current food production is already unsustainable.

The best ways to limit population is education of women and free birth control (including vasectomies as well). No death camps, and no means testing or equivalent, including rich nations. Get the global birth rate below 2 and hold it there until our population is back around a billion.

Only dumb racists claim that poor countries are currently the problem, but you also have to be pretty blind to not see that poor countries can't get to the point of western resource use with the worlds current population.

To say that population control isn't an issue is also saying that we can have a good standard of living using maybe 1/10th or less the per person resource use of the average western nation.

Isn't the best way to decrease population growth to decrease death rates and improve standards of living. Sadly capitalism works by having a bunch of really poor people to exploit for profit so there isn't an incentive to actually take these steps.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Improving healthcare and education in developing nations is the best way to combat overpopulation. Any discussion about overpopulation that does not start with this is usually just someone trying to cloak their racism.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sparticle posted:

Improving healthcare and education in developing nations is the best way to combat overpopulation. Any discussion about overpopulation that does not start with this is usually just someone trying to cloak their racism.

This, and gender equality.

Tardscream
Nov 3, 2007

Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

Quantum Shart posted:

Don't conflate legitimate criticism of the CCP as racism.

Why are people saying CCP rather than PRC in these kind of international relations contexts? Don't really hear ppl saying the Republican Party instead of the USA. Noticing it heaps by fb boomers. Seems like a some sort of red scare dog whistle. Better than just saying generic China I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tardscream posted:

Why are people saying CCP rather than PRC in these kind of international relations contexts? Don't really hear ppl saying the Republican Party instead of the USA. Noticing it heaps by fb boomers. Seems like a some sort of red scare dog whistle. Better than just saying generic China I guess.

Who is the federal opposition party in China?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JBP posted:

Who is the federal opposition party in China?

the KMT depending on who you talk to

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Tardscream posted:

:hmmyes:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Tardscream posted:

Could be red scare but could also just be trying to distinguish between the actions of a totalitarian government vs the people or entire nation. Or the newspapers are doing this and then people just copy and dont think about it, they know that CCP means China but the reference is comparatively educated, so they use that. And it's not just boomers, most everyone tries to use exclusionary/seemingly educated language to prop up their position

Because clearly, if you're smart enough to make a complicated thing sound simple, then you must be dumb. The trick is to make simple things sound complicated

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/kenmcalpine/status/1261881364695023616?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I struggle to understand what this fuckhead thinks he is gaining here. Trumpmentum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

I struggle to understand what this fuckhead thinks he is gaining here. Trumpmentum?

He tweeted about DICTATOR DAN like 18 times today alone lmao