Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'd think 1/32nd would be fine for any infantry you're actually going to magnetize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Maneck posted:

What size magnets do you use for infrantry, versus heavy jacks?

You don't need bigger magnets for the base depending on the model, you just need more magnets. You only need larger magnets when trying to magnetize specific pieces of a model, like arms, or wings; and only because you don't have room to go the "more magnets" route. Your ideal magnet can be glued on underside of base and be perfectly flush with the table. I bought a bunch years ago, I think the one I mostly use is 4mm x 2mm,?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Mugaaz posted:

You can't gently caress up the magnetization of the bases without either being incompetent or an epic fail down the stairs. If you're into mini/wargaming as a hobby, magnets are always cheaper in the long run. You never can have enough foam, and large chunks of are either not useful or require you to insert extra foam to gap fill. It is a never ending hassle. Magnets are just so, so much better. I can fit a unit of 40 infantry in a 6x11x3 inch space. Try doing that with foam.

I've never really had these issues with foam. I'm comfortable with it, it works for me, and doesn't end up with me smashing some of my minis if I gently caress it up somehow. I'd rather just stick with what I know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Magnets are dirt cheap, there's no reason to not have them around. I just bought a bunch of magnets in anticipation of Neo Mechanika, and I paid more in shipping than I did for the magnets themselves.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Ordered 100 8x1mm discs from China. Cost $10. Magnets are definitely an exception to the "support your local shops" philosophy. The in store prices everywhere here are absurd compared to the actual cost, with the result that the size selection is also terrible.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Wartable has now launched their (unofficial) support for Warmachine.
https://www.loswarmachine.com/reviews/2020/5/19/wartable?fbclid=IwAR23O_47eCb1xa4eYkJbiMXA3FWEkgQS8QdXcfV0t9qDsM91gRRADMP58Yo

Looks very promising.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

so, Trip report: Feora 4 is pretty cool.

I ran Fe4ra
Crusader
Sanctifier
Redeemer
Indictor
Wrack
2x Archons
Elias
Warder
Exemplar Errant
Max Vengers
Choir
Errants+UA

Redeemer with cont. fire was really strong, and spread to the enemy backlines. The Vengers gave me a good opening for the rest of my army to advance, since the warjacks were slow.

I misplayed the errant package, putting them too far on a flank to deal with doomy2, but I like the idea of them. I don't know if there's a better theme list, but my list felt pretty solid. Free run/charge gives a ton of focus flexibility.

I am going to change the Indictor to an unironic Guardian (at the cost of a wrack), so I have a good pow Hellwrought target with an arc node, other than that, I think I'm gonna keep this list.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I just saw 4eora's card yesterday and I thought she looked bananas so I'm glad she actually is. What were you playing on? That looks cool.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rantmo posted:

What were you playing on? That looks cool.

Yeah that cant be vassal can it? If so it came a loooooong way

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

waah posted:

Yeah that cant be vassal can it? If so it came a loooooong way

Looks like Tabletop Simulator to me. Amazing product, can plays thousands of games on there.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

lol @ Using vassal in 2020

Tabletop Simulator is everything Vassal wishes it could be and all the wargames are free workshop content.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Our locals are super into Wartable for virtual mandollies. It’s browser based and pretty fully featured from what I’ve seen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I really want to give Wartable a try, it looks really easy to use.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So what are people's thoughts on Captain Piggeus Shae?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
He's going to be usable in farrow lists?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

rydiafan posted:

I see a lot of "Why is this pig everything Thyron should be, but isn't?"

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cross-posting, because I think we should share our Warmahordes mini-painting here too!

TotalHell posted:

Finished Lady Aiyana and Master Holt.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Those are excellent looking miniatures, friend. You should be proud.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

rydiafan posted:

Still doesnt make TFA usable.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Still doesnt make TFA usable.

In specific he's not answering the problems the Farrow infantry actually has. The single wound farrow infantry are SPD 5, and have DEF 12 ARM 14 victim stats with no movement shenanigans for delivery. He's a pure infantry caster who on feat turn buffs Farrow infantry to ARM 17 which still means they die in large numbers to POW 10s (electroleaps, high explosive, very basic shooting) and burn and corrode prettily. He protects up to two units (his henchmen and with Phantasm) but does little for everyone else for the predictability of the Farrow or even to really help deliver them. So about all he does in practice is helps the Farrow win head to head beatdowns when using infantry.

He's nearer to being another Helga than he is a Shae. Shae does ridiculous things to threat ranges - 5" extra on feat turn. And if I want to run farrow for funzies then I'm picking Helga and her grand slam.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I sometimes wonder what the impact of just putting an option to take a 6 woman valkyrie unit or a 10 man slaughterhouser unit onto the card would have. Almost all the pig casters have a infantry buff, but the lack of decent sized units other than brigands often make them pretty inefficient, furywise.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 7, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

counterspin posted:

I sometimes wonder what the impact of just putting an option to take a 6 woman valkyrie unit or a 10 man slaughterhouser unit onto the card would have. Almost all the pig casters have a infantry buff, but the lack of decent sized units other than brigands often make them pretty inefficient, furywise.

I imagine it would be a pretty big loving deal. And honestly the regular pigs have no excuses for not being at LEAST DEF 13, that's trencher stats. Who would give a poo poo if they were 13/15? I mean seriously.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

And it feels like it helps the worst pig warlocks the most, which is nice. No impact on Arkadius, not much for Lord Carver, big impact on Helga1 and Midas. And yes, the 12/14 basic statline is a travesty.

Also my Helga2, because it's topical.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 7, 2020

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

counterspin posted:

And it feels like it helps the worst pig warlocks the most, which is nice. No impact on Arkadius, not much for Lord Carver, big impact on Helga1 and Midas. And yes, the 12/14 basic statline is a travesty.

That’s a really nice looking model!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

counterspin posted:

Yo this is dope

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

X-postin'

TotalHell posted:

A Mechanik and his Gobber.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Those are nice.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Even though it looks like a hydralisk, I'm really liking this.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's pretty good, and the mechano shreeders are both cute and awesome. Not sure about the new flying legion units though.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So, did I pick a bad time to try and get into anything PP made? It looks like most Warmachine/Hordes products are on low stock or sold out everywhere. I'm guessing the pandemic wasn't kind to Privateer Press, and they've got Warcaster coming up as well. Was hoping to pick up a Cygnar battlegroup when I got paid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Deleter posted:

So, did I pick a bad time to try and get into anything PP made? It looks like most Warmachine/Hordes products are on low stock or sold out everywhere. I'm guessing the pandemic wasn't kind to Privateer Press, and they've got Warcaster coming up as well. Was hoping to pick up a Cygnar battlegroup when I got paid.

I would guess it's the pandemic. PP apparently makes all their pewter and resin in house, while plastics are apparently contracted. The starter sets use colored plastics.

My suggestion would be to check your flgs (if they're open).

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'll see what I can do then.

E: managed to find a local place that does have some stock! Lucky.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 23, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I would guess it's the pandemic. PP apparently makes all their pewter and resin in house, while plastics are apparently contracted. The starter sets use colored plastics.

My suggestion would be to check your flgs (if they're open).

Yeah if this is true, then PP has been unable to make new stuff. They are based in Washington State and we have been one of the most heavily locked down states during this pandemic.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

They're substantially back up and running but I suspect most, if not all, of their production is focused on Warcaster because they're on the cusp of starting the first wave of Kickstarter fulfillment.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

A fair amount of stuff was already out of stock and unavailable for long periods even prior to the pandemic lockdown. Infernals + Riot Quest + Monsterpocalypse seemed to have not allowed much space for getting older sold out kits back into circulation, or even reprints of relatively new kits that sold out comparatively quickly.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The starter boxes are pretty much ebay only right now (though you can get most of them there new for less than MSRP). PP has most models in stock and is selling at 25% off. DiscountGamesInc has a decent portion of the line in stock at 30% off. Like, I've been able to buy whatever I was looking for across 4 factions during the past 3 months (lotta painting getting done for a change)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, when will the Infernal cards be available in the card database?

Edit: They are the first option :downs: Nevermind!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In addition to any production disruption due to Covid, PP moved their warehouse and that hosed everything good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rydiafan posted:

In addition to any production disruption due to Covid, PP moved their warehouse and that hosed everything good.

God, I forgot about that. Forced to move, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm going to be playing my first game of Warcaster on Thursday (on TTS, protect yourself against COVID-19 kids!), and I've been banging out an army/deck list and re-reading the rules.

To make sure I'm not totally blind, there are no rules against using ranged in melee and there's no disengaging strike rule?