Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I've been replaying 1/2 as I play through 3 and the turbo mode in 1/2 is rather lazy compared to 3's.

Pressing it will do a quick screen fade-out and fade-in to show the damage number but cancel all animations, except for S-crafts, which you can skip with the start button. Only pressing start will skip the results screen, though?

What version are you playing? I just finished 2 on the PS4 and turbo mode (mapped to L2) was just like 2.5x speed or something, the only way I saw animations being skipped was with the start button.

The only time I ever noticed jank was some cutscenes have voice lines tied to the animations, so every so often you’d have a line cut off early if you forgot to turn it off after battle

Erg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The CS1/2 PC turbo is intentionally designed like that, although yeah I'm not a big fan of the animation skipping either. The reason it behaves differently than the PS4 one is because the PS4 port and the PC port were made by different teams, and do not share a codebase, as I understand.

And yes, you have to hold to turbo on PC while it's a toggle on PS4. You can work around this by using the Steam per-game controller button mapping feature, though it would be nice if it was just a game option instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Being able to press a button to skip the animations in combat in CS is an absolute lifesaver and it makes me really miss it in other games.
I didn't realise that counted as a "turbo mode"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mirello posted:

I wish it just sped up animations like previous games. seems like a lot of 1 step forward, 1 step back stuff. Oh well.
Cold Steel 1 and 2 for PC were the first ones to get Turbo Mode. It was then added to Sky, and its popularity caught the eye of Falcom who are adding it themselves nowadays.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I played through Sky1/2 twice each and CS1 without turbo. I am very much enjoying having any implementation in Sky3 right now haha.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who's not a big fan of the combat, I'm loving just delaying everyone/everything in cold steel. I can't believe I played 5 games before switching to easy mode. other than that I'm liking it quite a bit. too bad like all of the plot of cold steel 1 and 2 is apparently spoiled by the end credits in trails of ao. lol, whoops. when the heck are they gonna make a series set in the republic?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The animation skipping turbo really sucks so I run cheat engine and map speedhack @ 6x to L2.

This also kinda sucks because L2 has to be mapped to a notebook shortcut so you can’t use it on the field. I just switch to the in game turbo / R1 for dash in the field.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thats really weird

Considering how much of a selling point Turbo is, sounds like PS4 trumps the hell out of PC.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mirello posted:

As someone who's not a big fan of the combat, I'm loving just delaying everyone/everything in cold steel. I can't believe I played 5 games before switching to easy mode. other than that I'm liking it quite a bit. too bad like all of the plot of cold steel 1 and 2 is apparently spoiled by the end credits in trails of ao. lol, whoops. when the heck are they gonna make a series set in the republic?

Isn't that where they've outright declared the next series is going to be?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Turbo is so important I find myself constantly trying to use it on games that I know don't have it, just out of reflex.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

Turbo is so important I find myself constantly trying to use it on games that I know don't have it, just out of reflex.

Same.

I can play CS 400 hours straight, but struggle to play any other game now for 30 minutes and I know its because of Turbo.

Its just
the most important quality of life feature a game can ever have. It takes almost all the passivity of waiting out of the game which makes it an active experience all the way through which does wonder's for my focus.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Alright I got bored and tried to figure out where the game does the auto-skipping, I think I found it for CS1:

The highlighted call here seems responsible for it, if you NOP it and the mov before it it no longer happens.

I'll play around with this to see if this needs more changes and make this into a proper patch in a bit, probably for CS2 too.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo dude, I had no idea my shitposting could lead to an actual solution! You're a saint!

btw, I'm up to gaius' hometown and its pretty good. I like the merging of persona and trails. I know it takes a while for the plot to get started, but I'm ok with that. slow burn isn't bad, and I'm liking all of the characters, which is the most important thing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Mirello posted:

Holy poo poo dude, I had no idea my shitposting could lead to an actual solution! You're a saint!

btw, I'm up to gaius' hometown and its pretty good. I like the merging of persona and trails. I know it takes a while for the plot to get started, but I'm ok with that. slow burn isn't bad, and I'm liking all of the characters, which is the most important thing.

Thats my favorite part. Nord is the best place in Zemuria.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do agree with someone who recently completed Steel 1 that it is definitely just the 'set-up' to Steel 2, more so than Sky 1 which could really have ended without it's cliffhanger and been a solid game.

And yeah Nord owns, I finished replaying that chapter just yesterday in fact.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like how Gaius gets his S-craft not from some deep personal revelation, but from just having a chance to be back home and thank god the winds that his family is happy and sane and alive

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hwurmp posted:

I like how Gaius gets his S-craft not from some deep personal revelation, but from just having a chance to be back home and thank god the winds that his family is happy and sane and alive

Hey, now. Gaius would thank both.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Tesseraction posted:

I do agree with someone who recently completed Steel 1 that it is definitely just the 'set-up' to Steel 2, more so than Sky 1 which could really have ended without it's cliffhanger and been a solid game.
Yeah, I just finished CS1 for the first time, and I imagine I'd have been really mad if I'd played it at release and didn't have 2 to jump right into and continue the story - several big revelations, some of them confusing, every plot thread left dangling with no resolution, all characters in peril, and after the final fight the boss just cracks his knuckles and goes 'not even my final form bro' and Rean gets involuntarily rocketed away from the battlefield leaving everyone to their fate..

THE END :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a weird relationship between the two because while the basic gist of CS2's plot feels like the "real" opening act of the Erebonia arc, CS2 itself is paced really weird with a lot of padding. It feels like the final chapter of CS1 just stretched out to an entire game. I'd be very interested to know what the design doc looked like when CS1/2 were originally one game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Okay, here's the no-turbo-skip patch for English CS1 if anyone wants to test it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uszmuvycb7h4lqw/trails-of-cold-steel-turbo-auto-skip-remover-v1.0.zip?dl=1

Follow the included instructions, you'll need xdelta to patch. Please report if you run into any issues. Keep a backup of your original ed8.exe just in case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, I just finished CS1 for the first time, and I imagine I'd have been really mad if I'd played it at release and didn't have 2 to jump right into and continue the story - several big revelations, some of them confusing, every plot thread left dangling with no resolution, all characters in peril, and after the final fight the boss just cracks his knuckles and goes 'not even my final form bro' and Rean gets involuntarily rocketed away from the battlefield leaving everyone to their fate..

THE END :)

I just love remembering the whiplash of like four different cliffhangers colliding into your face at once.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Okay, here's the no-turbo-skip patch for English CS1 if anyone wants to test it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uszmuvycb7h4lqw/trails-of-cold-steel-turbo-auto-skip-remover-v1.0.zip?dl=1

Follow the included instructions, you'll need xdelta to patch. Please report if you run into any issues. Keep a backup of your original ed8.exe just in case.

I tested it out in a couple of battles, and it seems to work perfectly! My one big complaint about cold steel, fixed in like a day. Wow. Does this patch work for 2 as well?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That optional one on one fight in CSIII's third chapter is a real 'gently caress you'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

That optional one on one fight in CSIII's third chapter is a real 'gently caress you'.

Is that the one vs. the Golden Rakshasa?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Justin_Brett posted:

It's basically abuse the 0 cooldown spells.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Is that the one vs. the Golden Rakshasa?

I'm thinking CS3 Ch3 Rean vs Wallace
On nightmare it can frustrating.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gotta have Shining

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tae posted:

It's basically abuse the 0 cooldown spells.

I ended up getting thrown a guard break tile and then I S-Crafted him twice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mirello posted:

I tested it out in a couple of battles, and it seems to work perfectly! My one big complaint about cold steel, fixed in like a day. Wow. Does this patch work for 2 as well?

Here's the patch for CS2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/crhm2x3xsv9oj35/trails-of-cold-steel-2-turbo-auto-skip-remover-v1.1.7z?dl=1

And also another one for CS1 for anyone playing with Japanese text, which is a different executable: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c22yydo5fzbkppf/trails-of-cold-steel-turbo-auto-skip-remover-v1.1.7z?dl=1

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm in the last chapter in Ao and I'm like 99% sure that if the Crossbell games had been made in the Cold Steel era Falcom would have absolutely made the duel against Arios the final boss battle of the game and spent an entire third game on just the final chapter. It's extremely refreshing that this isn't the case but at the same time playing these games has had the unfortunate side effect of making me even more frustrated with CS3.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm in the last chapter in Ao and I'm like 99% sure that if the Crossbell games had been made in the Cold Steel era Falcom would have absolutely made the duel against Arios the final boss battle of the game and spent an entire third game on just the final chapter. It's extremely refreshing that this isn't the case but at the same time playing these games has had the unfortunate side effect of making me even more frustrated with CS3.

Don't read the spoilers in this post until you finish the chapter.

Same, but CS2. If you think about the timeline, the final chapter takes place more or less across the same span of time as CS2, and you can even see the tree! What makes it even more egregious is the fact that it's very similar in plot structure as well - the protagonist starts separated from the rest of the party and reunites with them one by one while traveling through the land and seeing how the people are coping with the new order. Then they join up with the resistance for a grand assault on the occupied capital, which is taken over by magical golems. Suddenly, a supernatural huge towering final dungeon sprouts up out of the ground where the villains await. They need to be fought one by one in order to finally reach the end, where a small child wielding great power needs to be defeated and rescued from their clutches.

The parallels are too strong not to be deliberate, which is a shame, because not only does Ao do all of this in much less time, it does it far more effectively and with more emotional weight behind it as well.

Now more than ever, I feel like Cold Steel 2 is an unnecessary and outrageously padded game. They could have easily fit everything there into an additional chapter of CS1, as Ao demonstrates.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Now more than ever, I feel like Cold Steel 2 is an unnecessary and outrageously padded game. They could have easily fit everything there into an additional chapter of CS1, as Ao demonstrates.

On one hand, I agree that CS2 has a lot of problems with its writing, pacing, and excess of menial dungeons and side content, but I'm not sure you can easily compress CS1 and CS2 into a single game without shrinking the cast and rewriting a few significant parts of the story.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I definitely think that Cold Steel 2, while padded out, was too vast in scope to include in a theoretical Steel 1+2. I do know what you mean, though. I was actually thinking last night about how I first felt when you got the Highwind in FF7. Imagine if that part of the game was locked off in a FF7-2.

Yes I know about FF7R, you don't need to point out the irony.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really dont think its a 'modern falcom LOVES padding games out!!' thing

cold steel was their first full 3d trails game and they have deadlines to hit, and the team was clearly inexperienced at full 3d because they managed to make a game that looks like freaking trails of cold steel a laggy mess. i doubt it was anything resembling a deliberate choice on their parts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the end of the day none of this is particularly shocking, I could have told you Cold Steel had pacing/structure problems well before playing Zero/Ao. I also don't know what a hypothetical "right" version of that story looks like and supremely doubt that it'd be a simple case of removing XYZ characters and compressing the rest.

But playing the Crossbell games after Cold Steel is like, drat Falcom used to be able to figure this stuff out. Hopefully whatever they put together for Calvard after Hajimari is plagued with fewer such issues now that they're presumably more used to 3D engines and that development cycle.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
There's also just no reasonable way to make 2 (And 4, for that matter) Function on the same logic as 1 and 3, due to school calendar poo poo.

Spending the second half of a game with completely different progression mechanics would be pretty weird. It'd be like going from the world of balance to world of ruin in FFVI but on crack, I suppose.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest if anything I feel Cold Steel 2 suffered more for just having Western Erebonia's entire campaign as a girlfriend in Canada situation. I get that they only had Rean see Eastern Erebonia in 1, which was why, for example, they couldn't send you to Sutherland, but it just meant that when all the people who were so busy in the West popped in at the end of 2 going "oh yeah it's solved fam" it felt a little hollow.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

cold steel was their first full 3d trails game and they have deadlines to hit, and the team was clearly inexperienced at full 3d because they managed to make a game that looks like freaking trails of cold steel a laggy mess. i doubt it was anything resembling a deliberate choice on their parts.

How could Falcom be inexperienced at fully 3D games when they already released Gurumin, Xanadu Next, Zwei 2, Ys Seven, Nayuta no Kiseki, and Ys: Memories of Celceta prior to Cold Steel? Not to mention most of the character and enemy sprites in the Trails games come from converted CG models.

Granted, there were major development problems with Cold Steel. Falcom had so much trouble with the Phyre Engine that Sony had to step in and help with Cold Steel's development directly. It also didn't help that the Erebonia arc went through a number of scrapped drafts, including ones where it was meant to immediately follow the Liberl arc instead of Crossbell.

Idkbutlike2 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 16, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Poor Phyre Engine, thought of alpha effects and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Idkbutlike2 posted:

How could Falcom be inexperienced at fully 3D games when they already released Gurumin, Xanadu Next, Zwei 2, Ys Seven, Nayuta no Kiseki, and Ys: Memories of Celceta prior to Cold Steel? Not to mention most of the character and enemy sprites in the Trails games come from converted CG models.

Ehh, I get what they mean though - those are fixed camera. In Steel you can rotate 360 outside of battle, something you couldn't always do in Sky/Bell. They also moved to a non-grid-based system.

One thing I did notice is that the movement animations are still janky in Steel 3 - a scene where jaegers are all running in perfect unison and snapping 45 degrees at a time to turn stands out to me.