Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Ehh, I get what they mean though - those are fixed camera.
Hm? Gurumin, Xanadu Next, and the entire Sky trilogy had rotatable cameras. A number of the games I mentioned had cutscenes with dynamic camera work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fully rotated with 3d models not snapping to a 45 degree angle?

I was under the impression free rotation for Sky was added in later?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Totally. have you ever seen gurumin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnR2HeOFcg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hadn't, actually. I knew the ones I hadn't played would hoist me on the petard.

It looks fun too, might have to see if I can play it today.

edit: oh hey neat I apparently drunk-bought it months ago

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

One thing I did notice is that the movement animations are still janky in Steel 3 - a scene where jaegers are all running in perfect unison and snapping 45 degrees at a time to turn stands out to me.

This is actually a HUGE plus.
This isn't a result of them not knowing what they're doing, but instead putting in extra effort that no one else really does.
You never really notice it when playing them, but RPGs in general will take every chance they can to cheap out on things like this and just throw you into battle or black out when its time for a cutscene fight. Those extra animations that will be used once or twice are the last priority, but even when slightly janky the fact that they exist is a huge plus that elevates every scene that involves them immensely compared to cheaping out with a gameplay shift. Its been one of the series' greatest strengths to not skip out on cutscene fights ever since Sky FC, so the fact that continued doing it in Cold Steel despite being immensely more difficult is just the best thing, the moment Laura jumped up on wires to cut off the Gargoyle's head in CS1's prologue was the moment I fell in love with the game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well I just tried the Cassius Bright fight in chapter6 of Sky3.
Hmmm well that did not go well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gurugurugurumin

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Well I just tried the Cassius Bright fight in chapter6 of Sky3.
Hmmm well that did not go well.

Hint of you want it:
physical immunity is your friend

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

BrightWing posted:

Hint of you want it:
physical immunity is your friend

Yeah...Round 2 went very well with that game plan until at about 1/4 hp he did his pump up and i guess caught me in a weird turn order. Went again immediately, wiped my full party's shield, Richard went used a craft, cassius went and Turn Delayed my entire party 3-4 times to a wipe. I wish I hadn't rage quit because I needed to hit retry on easy haha.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

This is actually a HUGE plus.
This isn't a result of them not knowing what they're doing, but instead putting in extra effort that no one else really does.
You never really notice it when playing them, but RPGs in general will take every chance they can to cheap out on things like this and just throw you into battle or black out when its time for a cutscene fight. Those extra animations that will be used once or twice are the last priority, but even when slightly janky the fact that they exist is a huge plus that elevates every scene that involves them immensely compared to cheaping out with a gameplay shift. Its been one of the series' greatest strengths to not skip out on cutscene fights ever since Sky FC, so the fact that continued doing it in Cold Steel despite being immensely more difficult is just the best thing, the moment Laura jumped up on wires to cut off the Gargoyle's head in CS1's prologue was the moment I fell in love with the game.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but Falcom's use of canned battle animations during cutscenes is pretty bad.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
If Musse is supposed to come off as creepy and weird, they certainly did a good job of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes yes that's all very interesting but hey have you ever thought about loving your students???

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm probably going to come across like a simpleton for admitting this but I'm enjoying CS3. It's cool to see all the characters and understand some of the references, though now I'm wishing I had played the Zero games first.

Kind of reminds me of the feeling as a kid seeing crossover comics or shows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the character work, especially the downtime in the branch campus, is quite superlative in CS3. The Erebonia cast is still one of the stronger sets in the franchise IMO and even though they added some duds in Kurt it by and large doesn't dilute the overall experience. Altina and Juna rule and I love the crossover with the Crossbell crew (even more so now that I am playing Zero/Ao).

It's the larger meta plot that is frustrating the further you get in, feeling ultimately like a house of cards that just needed to tread water until you got to the final chapter. Which might be fine if it was just a short interstitial story to bring the audience up to speed for the events of CS4; instead CS3 is the longest Erebonia game and boy do you feel it by the end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nate RFB posted:

I think the character work, especially the downtime in the branch campus, is quite superlative in CS3. The Erebonia cast is still one of the stronger sets in the franchise IMO and even though they added some duds in Kurt it by and large doesn't dilute the overall experience. Altina and Juna rule and I love the crossover with the Crossbell crew (even more so now that I am playing Zero/Ao).

It's the larger meta plot that is frustrating the further you get in, feeling ultimately like a house of cards that just needed to tread water until you got to the final chapter. Which might be fine if it was just a short interstitial story to bring the audience up to speed for the events of CS4; instead CS3 is the longest Erebonia game and boy do you feel it by the end.

:agreed:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only time cs3 felt like it was dragging to me was the seaside town chapter going on forever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should make all the CS games longer because I like hanging out and talking to people in them

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

They should make all the CS games longer because I like hanging out and talking to people in them
I genuinely think CS3 would be a better game if you could just play Rean Teacher Simulator for 100 hours and didn't really bother with an excuse for forming a party to do combat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm probably going to come across like a simpleton for admitting this but I'm enjoying CS3.
lmao what

hey y'all look at this simpleton, they're enjoying video game

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Amppelix posted:

lmao what

hey y'all look at this simpleton, they're enjoying video game

What a heretic. Disgusting.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Yes yes that's all very interesting but hey have you ever thought about loving your students???

"So you all trying to make Schwarzer commit statutory rape ? Here's a few tips for you girls."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Altina and Juna rule and I love the crossover with the Crossbell crew (even more so now that I am playing Zero/Ao).

I definitely prefer Altina as she is in CS3 compared to 2, particularly in her interactions with Rean and Millium.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, altina is in like 20 minutes of CS2 so it'd be pretty hard to prefer her there

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, yes. But in all of those interactions she was kinda lovely, give or take the intermission. Also getting rid of the dumb tail was a plus.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
The Pantagruel section in CS2 is one of my least favorite moments in the entire series. It's such a lovely rehash of Estelle's stay on board the Glorious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

??? that doesn't make any sense

why is it lovely, for one

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Death Priest posted:

"So you all trying to make Schwarzer commit statutory rape ? Here's a few tips for you girls."

CS3: I was just about tolerating the Musse poo poo because the rest of the cast was clearly bemused or uncomfortable (which is more than can be said for the Elise stuff) but I just got to this point and jfc Aurelia :shepface:

please tell me they do not actually let you date your students or your sister

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Amppelix posted:

??? that doesn't make any sense

why is it lovely, for one

(CS2) The Pantagruel section pretty much encapsulates a lot of what I don't like in CS2's writing. First, there's Crow's entire backstory dump and how easily Rean is moved by it, despite all the lovely stuff that he's done. Then there's going around and casually chatting with every antagonist in the arc like they're coworkers in a break room, which I feel is tone deaf as gently caress given the situation. Like Rean, some of these people attempted to murder your friends on multiple occasions and just threatened to attack your hometown. What the hell are you doing humoring their conversations? And to top it all off, you get this painfully cheesy power trip escape sequence where Rean suddenly gains the ability to jump twenty feet in the air and do ninja kick flips around veteran jaegers. It's sooooo bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gato posted:

CS3: I was just about tolerating the Musse poo poo because the rest of the cast was clearly bemused or uncomfortable (which is more than can be said for the Elise stuff) but I just got to this point and jfc Aurelia :shepface:

please tell me they do not actually let you date your students or your sister

They don't

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of the issues I have with CS2 I think that part is fine. Yeah it's evocative of the equivalent sequence in Sky but I think it works well enough for most of the interactions, outside of Zephyr who I have never really cared for. It has the McBurn "All of me" line which is great. I also want to say it's one of the first times that Blue Destination actually plays? Anyway, it's fine. I will never dislike a story beat that lets Rean interact with Duvalie.

CS2's problems for me are more in the shrines really padding stuff out and the post-game dungeons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Idkbutlike2 posted:

(CS2) The Pantagruel section pretty much encapsulates a lot of what I don't like in CS2's writing. First, there's Crow's entire backstory dump and how easily Rean is moved by it, despite all the lovely stuff that he's done. Then there's going around and casually chatting with every antagonist in the arc like they're coworkers in a break room, which I feel is tone deaf as gently caress given the situation. Like Rean, some of these people attempted to murder your friends on multiple occasions and just threatened to attack your hometown. What the hell are you doing humoring their conversations? And to top it all off, you get this painfully cheesy power trip escape sequence where Rean suddenly gains the ability to jump twenty feet in the air and do ninja kick flips around veteran jaegers. It's sooooo bad.

Yeah I agree that this section, more than any, felt like it was written like fanfic. The fact that Crow walks in, having just attacked your hometown, and doesn't immediately get told to choke on a bucket of poo poo by Rean, who then as you say eats up his story of "my dad lost against capitalism and died peacefully so I did a civil war teehee" and then you meeting a bunch of people some of whom it makes sense to chat casually to - Bleublanc comes to mind, but then you speak to S and V who are literally about to kill themselves but just chat to you like it's the watercooler. And then they just let Princess Alfin wander around the ship and even into your room which has a direct vent route to the escape path? Oh and then everyone and their loving dog teleports to the ship JUST as you're screwed, only for Vita to say "games over lads, let's go home" without any complaints? I know the game loves to pull that last twist a lot but even then it felt a little silly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I will never dislike a story beat that lets Rean interact with Duvalie.

That's fair. Although as I mentioned before I more love her reactions to McBurn giving zero fucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The pentagruel section is the best part of the entire trails series

And for real if you dont like that bit i dont think trails has anything to offer you besides town npcs updating their conversations with 17 variations of 'i like apples'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 17, 2020

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

And for real if you dont like that bit i dont think trails has anything to offer you besides town npcs updating their conversations with 17 variations of 'i like apples'

Well, those NPC conversations and such can lead to a bunch of entertaining subplots and lore bits. One of my absolute favorite moments in the series is from an optional event in Ao where you're asked to look for Reins from the Crossbell New Service after infiltrating Crossbell City in the final chapter. You manage to track him down to an unused Geofront facility near the Old Dragon Inn. Turns out, he's an undercover agent working for Richard and has been using a newer version of the anti-orbal shutdown phone that Professor Russell invented in SC to relay information back to Richard, who's currently on a business trip to Altair. Needless to say, I had the biggest poo poo eating grin on my face during that whole conversation. It's little things like that which the series special to me.

EDIT: Fixed one bit of lore I got wrong.

Idkbutlike2 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I certainly think it is fine and valid to like the Pentagruel segment as one's favorite Trails sequence but if I might offer one potential counterpoint, it's a sequence that doesn't feature Wazy Hemisphere so I would, personally, be reluctant to agree.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This is a reminder courtesy of my Youtube recomendations: Inevitable Struggle loving slaps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean I didn't dislike the Pantagruel section, it just felt out of place, and didn't really make that much sense. All the effort to get you on board and then Vita says "bye Alfin lol" and Crow hands you the strategy guide to kick his rear end and everyone goes on their merry way. It was interesting backstory for a lot of the noble-alliance-allied it just didn't feel like it made much sense outside of Cayenne's initial offer. I suppose (CS2 ending spoiler) Rufus's intervention is what creates the ability to just flip them the bird and abscond.

BrightWing posted:

This is a reminder courtesy of my Youtube recomendations: Inevitable Struggle loving slaps.

Hell yeah it does.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Idkbutlike2 posted:

The Pantagruel section in CS2 is one of my least favorite moments in the entire series. It's such a lovely rehash of Estelle's stay on board the Glorious.

counterpoint: Estelle's stay on board the glorious kind of sucks

at least the part where she escapes but has to be rescued by Joshua even if you manage to clown town Gilbert and friends. it felt like a scene that should have been tailor made to let Estelle stand strong on her own for once but nope, gotta give Joshua the spotlight back.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dmboogie posted:

counterpoint: Estelle's stay on board the glorious kind of sucks

at least the part where she escapes but has to be rescued by Joshua even if you manage to clown town Gilbert and friends. it felt like a scene that should have been tailor made to let Estelle stand strong on her own for once but nope, gotta give Joshua the spotlight back.
I more or less agree; thematically Rean's exit on the Pentagruel lands way better than Estelle's for this reason, a reason that circles constantly back to Sky SC's main fault (Joshua sucks).

On the other hand the music on the Glorious is very memorable and I will always be a sucker for the gravitas of an evil dude menacingly playing an organ to welcome the protagonist into their lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I mean I didn't dislike the Pantagruel section, it just felt out of place, and didn't really make that much sense. All the effort to get you on board and then Vita says "bye Alfin lol" and Crow hands you the strategy guide to kick his rear end and everyone goes on their merry way. It was interesting backstory for a lot of the noble-alliance-allied it just didn't feel like it made much sense outside of Cayenne's initial offer. I suppose (CS2 ending spoiler) Rufus's intervention is what creates the ability to just flip them the bird and abscond.
the purpose of this section is to characterise the antagonists and give them screentime. that's it.