Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sweevo posted:

What this three hour long movie needs is for the action to stop dead so we can watch a dancing fairy man speak in rhyme for 40 minutes while adding absolutely nothing to the plot.

Just go all in on the fact that he clearly grows his own weed in there and make it a 40 minute Cheech & Chong routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would watch a stoner movie featuring Hobbits and Tom Bombadil in a loving heartbeat

Merry and Pippin Go To White Castle

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

purple death ray posted:

I would watch a stoner movie featuring Hobbits and Tom Bombadil in a loving heartbeat

Merry and Pippin Go To White Castle

Do all the hobbits run around naked in a meadow like in the book, asking for my creepy uncle.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I’ve never even seen the hobbit films. 99% of you can’t repost this.

I saw the first one, it seemed fine but unremarkable. Disappointing compared to LotR and not interesting enough to make me come back for the next two, which I guess was the right move.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I could not even be allowed to enjoy the Hobbit with my eyes closed, considering Peter Jackson kept cutting away from Howard Shore's still quite amazing soundtrack.
But as others said, there are good parts in there. 2 Films would have been more palatable.

Edit: also seeing Movie 3 in a 3movie marathon was the second dumbest cinema Idea I ever had. (The first being to go to a a Jurassic World midnight Marathon)

Sweevo posted:

What this three hour long movie needs is for the action to stop dead so we can watch a dancing fairy man speak in rhyme for 40 minutes while adding absolutely nothing to the plot.

To be fair, it didnt clash too much with the tone set out by the book thus far. To my 14year old dumb-rear end-self that is.

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 15:26 on May 16, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DeafNote posted:

Edit: also seeing Movie 3 in a 3movie marathon was the second dumbest cinema Idea I ever had. (The first being to go to a a Jurassic World midnight Marathon)

I went to the college where Jack Horner, the inspiration for Alan Grant, taught paleontology. They held the Jurassic Park III premiere at a downtown theater in Bozeman, and a few of my friends who studied under Horner were invited.

At the after party, one of them got into a conversation with a producer.

Producer: So, how did you like it?
Friend: Well...it was short.
Producer: Yeah...it was definitely short.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Tom Bombadil has been a solved mystery since the 90's. He's the Witch King of Angmar.

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, I prefer the one where he's a timeless inhuman abomination beyond all other forces who will be around long after the rest of reality unravels dancing and rhyming.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
He's Tolkien's self insert

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tom Bombadil ís obviously an unknowable cosmic being that was already ancient when Morgoth was first created that will eventually rise and destroy the world once this insignificant business with rings is done.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Let's all take a moment to be grateful that if the LotR movies were filmed in 2 years later they would have probably tried to include Bombadil as a special DVD you had to buy separately or... *shudder* a web-exclusive short film.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean... Have you seen the extended content of LOTR? They did that poo poo, adding in every single fuckin cut scene they ever shot into one gigantic like 9 hour slog of a trilogy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Glagha posted:

I mean... Have you seen the extended content of LOTR? They did that poo poo, adding in every single fuckin cut scene they ever shot into one gigantic like 9 hour slog of a trilogy.

the theatrical cuts are the superior films

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glagha posted:

In high school my friends and I marathoned all three of those in one shot and I have no idea how we made it through. We were all going a bit nuts by the end, especially since ROTK feels like it’s about to end for like 45 minutes even in the theatrical cut.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

One thing that bothered me about the theatrical releases is they don't show how they dealt with Sarumon. For all we know, this incredibly dangerous evil wizard is still chilling in his tower by the end of the movies.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Last Chance posted:

the theatrical cuts are the superior films

Yeah, yeah, and Wagner's Ring Cycle is only a middling Opera. Who gives a poo poo give me the whole thing and not a second less.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

mind the walrus posted:

Let's all take a moment to be grateful that if the LotR movies were filmed in 2 years later they would have probably tried to include Bombadil as a special DVD you had to buy separately or... *shudder* a web-exclusive short film.

Hell, they managed to release a patch for Cats.
I figure it won't be too long before they start putting paid DLC in movies.

"Click here to buy the 'Luke doesn't die' alternate ending DLC for The Last Jedi!"
If the DLC makes at least X million dollars, we'll make it canon!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the_steve posted:

Hell, they managed to release a patch for Cats.
I figure it won't be too long before they start putting paid DLC in movies.

"Click here to buy the 'Luke doesn't die' alternate ending DLC for The Last Jedi!"
If the DLC makes at least X million dollars, we'll make it canon!

They patched out Show Dogs last year after the whole "it teaches children to be okay with being molested" debacle

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Len posted:

They patched out Show Dogs last year after the whole "it teaches children to be okay with being molested" debacle

....wait what

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Dogs#Child_grooming_controversy_and_resulting_re-cut

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

What the actual.flying gently caress

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

One thing that bothered me about the theatrical releases is they don't show how they dealt with Sarumon. For all we know, this incredibly dangerous evil wizard is still chilling in his tower by the end of the movies.

Yeah this and the extended Helms Deep stuff are the only extended edition stuff I feel should have been included.

I know HD is already pretty long but the extended one actually flows better.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

bunnyofdoom posted:

What the actual.flying gently caress

To the surprise of no one, the UK: no biggie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Turn on the sun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FljQ2HEJkP4

At least they understood that second life was full of disgusting fetishists. Cameo by Nick’s dad from Freaks and Geeks.

I always bring this one up when we talk about computer stuff on TV shows.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Sorry folks but there's only one Hobbit adaptation that'll do for me: https://youtu.be/4gzWA4Euzck

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Glagha posted:

I owned them. You know what I'm talking about-- releasing a Bombadil movie as like a stand-alone bonus feature a 'la the Animatrix.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This has similar vibes to that guy who ran nick studios (or Disney maybe?) and had a foot fetish and made sure all the shows had weird feet stuff with the young actresses

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ambitious Spider posted:

This has similar vibes to that guy who ran nick studios (or Disney maybe?) and had a foot fetish and made sure all the shows had weird feet stuff with the young actresses

That was Dan Schneider at Nick Studios. I remember him from Head of the Class.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was he also the one who had the cuckold fetish and jammed a bunch of nods to that into some Nick shows, or do they just have a long history of hiring pervs? John K was a sex pest too, wasn’t he?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Tarantino worked for Nickelodeon?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always laugh when I hear about Tarantino. Most people hide fetishes like that and he seems to have made it his mission in life to make sure every single person on earth knows his.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always laugh when I hear about Tarantino. Most people hide fetishes like that and he seems to have made it his mission in life to make sure every single person on earth knows his.

Seems like a fair tactic. Especially if you do it while still single, whoever ends up interested in going out with you already knows the weird niche thing you like and since they decided to go through with it anyway it seems a fair hope they'd be willing to participate.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I always mix that up with welcome freshmen.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was he also the one who had the cuckold fetish and jammed a bunch of nods to that into some Nick shows, or do they just have a long history of hiring pervs? John K was a sex pest too, wasn’t he?

Don’t know about the cuckold thing but absolutely john k is a sec pest. There was a whole thing about him grooming a 13 year old and she eventually moved in with him, and I can’t remember if he succeeded but he definitely tried. loving creep

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah. He was also the manager in Goodburger. He had like 10,000 blind items devoted to him on those anonymous gossip sites. He resigned out of nowhere once MeToo broke with his series being like #1 on Nickelodeon and Nick saying they just want to go in a different creative direction from the dude who made every non-Spongebob hit they had in the last 12 years and everyone thought that meant the dam was about to break and then the dam never broke and he just peacefully faded into obscurity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

I always mix that up with welcome freshmen.

Don’t know about the cuckold thing but absolutely john k is a sec pest. There was a whole thing about him grooming a 13 year old and she eventually moved in with him, and I can’t remember if he succeeded but he definitely tried. loving creep

There was more than one. He’s a serial child rapist. He groomed them on fan websites about Ren and Stimpy and forced one to get an abortion because he had impregnated her.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Maybe that's the real fetish

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Glagha posted:

If you look at the trailers, you will know that that isnt even true.
And I feel I cannot agree with the notion that the theatrical editions are superior, even the scenes I know are superfluous I absolutely enjoy as additions.
Meanwhile with the Hobbit trilogy, there were clearly some extended scenes that should have been in the regular version instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah. He was also the manager in Goodburger. He had like 10,000 blind items devoted to him on those anonymous gossip sites. He resigned out of nowhere once MeToo broke with his series being like #1 on Nickelodeon and Nick saying they just want to go in a different creative direction from the dude who made every non-Spongebob hit they had in the last 12 years and everyone thought that meant the dam was about to break and then the dam never broke and he just peacefully faded into obscurity.
Yeah there are some.... vile loving rumors about him and Amanda Bynes and Britney Spears' little sister... and yeah he's the guy with lots of circumstantial evidence that he forced foot fetish material into all of his shows starring underage girls...

It's a shame I remember genuinely liking The Amanda Show. It was stupid, but you could tell a lot of the kid performers had chops and they weren't getting the chance to develop-- at the time I thought it was like Mad TV where their material always played under the level of their talent, but the actual truth seems to have been much much worse :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember getting a few laughs from the Amanda Show too but it was mainly the other actors or a particularly laboured joke that wrapped back around to being funny like some of the reactions in the blockblister sketches. I particularly remember something from the actor who went on to play Lewbert in iCarly (I think) just because of how hard he threw himself into his overacting, like when it's like "We didn't think it was that bad...:(" "IT MADE MY EYES BLEE~D!"

I also used to enjoy Jerry Trainor for a similar reason despite his characters often being whacky for whacky's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's what I mean, like sometimes you can just tell a performer/artist was given the wrong advice by the wrong person, or had the wrong instincts cultivated. Key and Peele practically had to unlearn some bad instincts they got from Mad TV when they got their Comedy Central show. There's a bit in a Donald Glover stand-up special-- the guy went to NYU and ended up doing work on 30 Rock while he was still a student, he was pegged very early for stardom--and told a story about how Tracy Morgan told him to just do a stand-up on penis jokes because it was easy and guaranteed to get a laugh. The "punchline" was that Glover did this, then met Chris Rock immediately after who was unimpressed with the material, which probably had a marked effect on how Glover's career would develop and go.

My point being-- I really try to look beyond the instincts that some of those Disney and Nick show kid actors develop because it's clear they're being taught a form of comedy that really doesn't translate well to anything but an audience of children, even though yeah at best you could say that those shows are funny after they shoot way past their intended humor and hit a zen state of being so-dumb-its-funny-again.