Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Can anyone recommend good two player switch puzzle games?

Or, good one player puzzle games which could be played as a team, but 2 players at once would be ideal.

E: local coop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think i mentioned it before but Good Job! is a physics puzzle game kind of along the lines of the untitled goose game, set in a fully destructible corporate office. its pretty fun especially for local coop

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Human Fall Flat.

And of course Snipperclips if you never got around to that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Another suggestion if you don't mind fantasy in your strategy, Age of Wonders 3. There's also AoW Planetfall that's more sci-fi, but I've never played it so can't comment.
I have, it's good

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oysters Autobio posted:

Games I used to play:

- Red Orchestra
- Vietcong

If you liked those two games, then check out Rising storm 2: Vietnam. Its made by the same people who made red orchestra.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm really in the mood for a game in the caesar 3/pharoah type city building area, but made recently?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the recommendations!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm really in the mood for a game in the caesar 3/pharoah type city building area, but made recently?

No idea if it's good but I saw this game Builders of Egypt pop up on Steam the other day and it reminded me of Pharaoh, link below is to a free Prologue version:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1207590/Builders_of_Egypt_Prologue/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tildes posted:

Can anyone recommend good two player switch puzzle games?

Or, good one player puzzle games which could be played as a team, but 2 players at once would be ideal.

E: local coop!

Boxboy + Boxgirl
it's rad and less likely to cause fights than almost an co-op game

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Old World is more 4X / dynasty game in the style of Civ and Crusader Kings 2 than a city building game, but you do develop your cities with new buildings and improvements on a hex map. It is in early access on Epic Games Store but very good. You play as either Romans, Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks or Carthage. I recommend it.

edit: Thread for Old World:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 11, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What are some more PC games like Jackbox where one person can host, and others can join the game without needing to spend money? Ideally without downloading anything as well, but that could work.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

What are some more PC games like Jackbox where one person can host, and others can join the game without needing to spend money? Ideally without downloading anything as well, but that could work.

Keep talking and nobody explodes, a game where the person with the game is a bomb-defuser and the other player(s) have the bomb defusal manual. The manual is a free pdf to download or open in browser.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The combat in FF7R i found to be fun as poo poo soo...

I’m really bored and have nothing but unlimited free time for months, would finally jumping in to monster hunter world on PS4 be cool? When it came out I had just completed bloodbourne + dlc so I found the combat weird and stuff and didn’t give it much of a shot... is it still going strong on PS4? The thread has been on the first page for years it seems. I assume I can play with a friend?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can, though the PC version is about to hit update sync with the PS4 version(so they'll be getting the same updates simultaneously from now on), so that's the better platform to play it on if you can manage it. plus, well, mods. and really, who doesn't want to replace The Handler's head with the Meowscular Chef's head, or replace every NPC with The Handler, or put Wiggler Heads on every NPC?(sorry this is the only video I could find that actually shows off Wiggler World)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4fmThJmqpc&hd=1&t=188s

it completely takes the gravitas out of any situation.

he is right though, they should add dogs to the next monster hunter world

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2020

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Looking for games where I can rapidly theorycraft builds. Examples of what I'm after are games like bytepath and nova drift. Doesn't have to be a shooter those were just the first examples I could think of! Even stuff like crimsonland I guess.

I'm looking for the experience of building a character like in diablo/path of exile but without the time sink - ideally a playthrough would last less than an hour.

I definitely don't want traditional roguelikes, or to rely too heavily on random drops or anything. Ideally I'd get to choose skills/perks etc that I want every playthrough.

Doesn't have to be an action game - I'd prefer it was but I'm open to interesting suggestions.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Are there any good MP FPS games that are not Overwatch, TF2, COD, CS, Valorant, battle royale or isn't dead?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Planetside 2 still running? I saw a video for some big update they were doing recently. Dunno if it's any good or not though, I was a planetside 1 guy.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

We Know Catheters posted:

Are there any good MP FPS games that are not Overwatch, TF2, COD, CS, Valorant, battle royale or isn't dead?

Warframe?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

field balm posted:

Looking for games where I can rapidly theorycraft builds. Examples of what I'm after are games like bytepath and nova drift. Doesn't have to be a shooter those were just the first examples I could think of! Even stuff like crimsonland I guess.

I'm looking for the experience of building a character like in diablo/path of exile but without the time sink - ideally a playthrough would last less than an hour.

I definitely don't want traditional roguelikes, or to rely too heavily on random drops or anything. Ideally I'd get to choose skills/perks etc that I want every playthrough.

Doesn't have to be an action game - I'd prefer it was but I'm open to interesting suggestions.

Iratus lord of the Death has a lot of options for theory crafting. A playthroug is longer though. Not much randomness.

Trials of Fire also contains theory crafting and the playthroughs are very fast, but there's some randomness involved.

Slay the Spire is an obvious recommendation but it contains a lot of randomness.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

What platform?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Do you mean Team Fortress or Titanfall 2? Because Titanfall 2 was just on sale for $3 and matches are still filling up fast with a bunch of new blood

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can get Far Cry 4, 5 or New Dawn really cheap on the epic games store but I'm not sure which is best. 5 sounded dreadful and New Dawn seems to have less UbiSoft bloat to make it 60 hours for no reason, but 4 has a cool setting and I'm a little tired of post apocalyptic America by now.

The last one I played was 2 lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can get Far Cry 4, 5 or New Dawn really cheap on the epic games store but I'm not sure which is best. 5 sounded dreadful and New Dawn seems to have less UbiSoft bloat to make it 60 hours for no reason, but 4 has a cool setting and I'm a little tired of post apocalyptic America by now.

The last one I played was 2 lol

4 is pretty but very grindy and New Dawn is an rpg-shooter so just be aware of that but if you're okay with that it may be the best choice. 5 is tonally strange, yeah, but I think mechanically the most fun/respectful of your time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

4 is pretty but very grindy and New Dawn is an rpg-shooter so just be aware of that but if you're okay with that it may be the best choice. 5 is tonally strange, yeah, but I think mechanically the most fun/respectful of your time.

4 was my favorite Far Cry, I thought it was a ton of fun, but yes it absolutely has the Ubisoft problem of opening your map and there being four million little icons representing things to pick up, 2 minute long minigames to do, meaningless side quests, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

far cry 2 is still very good, imo, and kind of unique

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Far Cry 5's tutorial island was extremely blah. Does it pick up significantly after that or is that more or less what I can expect from the rest of the game?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Far Cry 5's tutorial island was extremely blah. Does it pick up significantly after that or is that more or less what I can expect from the rest of the game?

imo its the worst of the series. there are a few cool vehicles and the map itself is ok i guess though they went way overboard with animals attacking everything everywhere, the story is really corny and the open world gameplay gets interrupted by lovely cutscenes that will force you back into the main plot while you are in the middle of some side mission or just loving around in the world

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The correct answer is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Played 1000 hours and burned out

Captain Beans posted:

What platform?
PC

Vadun posted:

Do you mean Team Fortress or Titanfall 2? Because Titanfall 2 was just on sale for $3 and matches are still filling up fast with a bunch of new blood

Team Fortress

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PC

Team Fortress

Squad is pretty good, and Rainbow Six Siege is still popular and "good"

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

PC

Team Fortress

Deep Rock Galactic just released. It’s like L4D but with dwarves in space doing mining and shooting bugs. 15-20 minute missions with 4 people, 4 classes and upgrades in the overworld to unlock. It’s pretty cool with the world destruction tech. Rather chill.

Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum are WW2 shooters that live in the space between Battlefield and Arma. Little less arcady than Battlefield but not even approaching the clunky-ness of Arma. Squad is the a modern day version in the same style. All rely heavily on teamwork and voice coms. All have building and vehicles which is cool.

Tons of goons seem to still be playing that Escape from Tarkovsky game, but that may be a little to close to battle royal for your taste. Another option in the ‘sort of battle royal, but not really’ is Hunt:Showdown.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 15, 2020

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I tried Hell Let Loose and it was too slow. I miss just playing simple TDM but I guess that mode is popular anymore. Oh well, thanks for the suggestions.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Is there any other game anything like the space combat of Star Wars Empire at War?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Homeworld series is the other big space-RTS.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

I tried Hell Let Loose and it was too slow. I miss just playing simple TDM but I guess that mode is popular anymore. Oh well, thanks for the suggestions.

You need to check out Titanfall 2, that wont be too slow.

Rainbow Six Siege is a nice compact 5v5 TDM option.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 16, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Insurgency: Sandstorm (or the original) is quite good imo. It comes off as a more realistic shooter with weapon attachments, super low TTK, and no hit markers etc. And it does have that, but it is way faster paced and rewards aggression quite a bit. I really like it.

I would echo Rainbow Six Siege and titanfall 2 as well- they’re not my favorite, but well worth trying.

There are others which also have active player bases (or at least active enough), but I didn’t necessarily like as much. Maybe worth investigating to see if they might click with you though.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam— totally serviceable. More of a realistic vibe, but not as slow as Hell Let Loose etc.

Splitgate- Halo but everyone also has a portal gun.

Quake Champions: Quake but with characters with skill loadouts.

Paladin: IMO this is a decent Overwatch substitute. It’s probably a worse game by some objective metric, but I actually found it more fun.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tildes posted:

Paladin: IMO this is a decent Overwatch substitute. It’s probably a worse game by some objective metric, but I actually found it more fun.

Seconding Paladins. It is really fun once you get the hang of things and the synergy between the classes. In my opinion it is way more fun than Overwatch. Oh and it is free.

tildes posted:

I havent tried this one yet. Do they still have that weird "lease" thing on heroes where you could only get certain heroes for a limited amount of time unless you paid for them with real money?

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

tildes posted:

Insurgency: Sandstorm (or the original) is quite good imo. It comes off as a more realistic shooter with weapon attachments, super low TTK, and no hit markers etc. And it does have that, but it is way faster paced and rewards aggression quite a bit. I really like it.

I would echo Rainbow Six Siege and titanfall 2 as well- they’re not my favorite, but well worth trying.

There are others which also have active player bases (or at least active enough), but I didn’t necessarily like as much. Maybe worth investigating to see if they might click with you though.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam— totally serviceable. More of a realistic vibe, but not as slow as Hell Let Loose etc.

Splitgate- Halo but everyone also has a portal gun.

I'dd add Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the newest version) to this list as well. It had a bad launch and worse reputation thanks to loot box mechanics that have now been completely altered. The game has also received a lot of updates and it's a fun shooter. Still looks stunning thanks to the Frostbite engine.

The only problem for me is the limited hero roles; they're quite a lot stronger than the other classes. I'm no good at playing them, but some people are so insanely untouchable that they can ruin the game a little bit.

It depends on the mode, the map and your own team as to how much of a pain in the rear end these enemy heroes are. There are modes without them, including several coop modes.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Something that came up in the roguelike thread: RPGs that don’t have consumables. TOME4 and Fell Seal don’t have consumables or they are on cool downs. Are there other games out there that are like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Been playing a lot of "forever" games lately, that is games with a heavy sandbox element or an extensive endgame. I like them not just for the sandbox element but also because they tend to have pretty deep systems I can mess around in. Thing is, it gets a little tiring when I realize I haven't "finished" any of them beyond accomplishing some arbitrary goal and then finding something more interesting. So I'm looking for something with a definite end. Doesn't really matter what genre, so long as its good although my computer struggles with new titles from the past couple years.

Oh and it would be cool if the game has some well-written characters or story. This is not something sandbox games do well.