Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

There is a paper out there by the devs about how they did the ai if anyone is interested, but I don't have it at my fingertips

Here it is! It’s really interesting.

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While newer consoles probably have it beaten on sheer numbers, it's still probably notable that there was so much shovelware for the Atari that it's widely seen as having actually killed the idea of video game consoles (in the States at least) because people literally couldn't find good games for it. Generally with that ET game you all know about being blamed for it, possibly a one-two punch with a really bad Pac-Man port; that two of the most promoted games for it turned out to be garbage even by Atari standards and they somehow managed to screw up Pac-Man seems an understandable last straw.

To the point where Nintendo introduced the Seal of Quality that didn't really mean anything except that they'd signed off on it to assure consumers and investors that they weren't going to let the platform get flooded with poo poo no one wants.

Also, before the Wii, p sure the DS was the shovelware queen, especially given it was so much easier to develop for as a portable in the burgeoning HD age.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I found GTA5 to be kinda boring overall but that's just because of how few heists you do and how much work you have to do to set them up. Say whatever you want about the rest of the game, the heists were actually rad as hell.

Also the game got a genuine chuckle out of me with the line "ya gotta put it in a ticket" so that's good

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

food court bailiff posted:

so now that gta v is literally free ima give it a serious try, does anyone have any tips or anything

what little i played in the past seemed pretty sour and punishing of ridiculous shenanigans but it was ages ago, was I being too harsh/is there any way to Maximize Fun?

the faster you push through the missions, the worse they seem. make sure to spend a lot of time just chilling in the game world and driving around, getting in to random scuffles, enjoying the tunes, etc.

I think that holds for all rockstar games really -- the faster you try to play through the story stuff, the worse it gets. it's like a non-newtonian fluid in game form.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like Vice City was the last one that really let you think outside the box with missions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I believe that every video game developer who is famous (individuals not companies) should do everything in their power to stay out of the limelight so as to avoid a normalization of weird fucks like Cliffy B. For the sake of their own mental health and the world’s, there should be never have been a Cliffy B.

Just be like Nobuo Uematsu and pump out good work forever and leave your name solely associated with your work alone. I blame John Carmack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While newer consoles probably have it beaten on sheer numbers, it's still probably notable that there was so much shovelware for the Atari that it's widely seen as having actually killed the idea of video game consoles (in the States at least) because people literally couldn't find good games for it. Generally with that ET game you all know about being blamed for it, possibly a one-two punch with a really bad Pac-Man port; that two of the most promoted games for it turned out to be garbage even by Atari standards and they somehow managed to screw up Pac-Man seems an understandable last straw.

To the point where Nintendo introduced the Seal of Quality that didn't really mean anything except that they'd signed off on it to assure consumers and investors that they weren't going to let the platform get flooded with poo poo no one wants.

Also, before the Wii, p sure the DS was the shovelware queen, especially given it was so much easier to develop for as a portable in the burgeoning HD age.

yeah but all Atari games are trash, even the "good" ones

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

jokes posted:

I believe that every video game developer who is famous (individuals not companies) should do everything in their power to stay out of the limelight so as to avoid a normalization of weird fucks like Cliffy B. For the sake of their own mental health and the world’s, there should be never have been a Cliffy B.

Just be like Nobuo Uematsu and pump out good work forever and leave your name solely associated with your work alone. I blame John Carmack.

But didn't Carmack try to stay out of the limelight as much as possible also? I remember him mostly posting .plan updates that I totally claimed to have fully understood back then, and giving the occasional speech on a game dev conference. Romero, though....

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Carmack is certainly not a Bob Dylan type, he attends industry events and accepts awards all the time.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pilotwings 64 was dope

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

john carmack seems like the most normal and well adjusted very very very smart person out there. every article, interview, and story I have heard of has him being incredibly down to earth and modest, while he's also an insanely talented software developer and games developer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

John Romero is probably nice enough if you meet him too. I doubt he'll tell you to suck it down nowadays.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

piratepilates posted:

john carmack seems like the most normal and well adjusted very very very smart person out there. every article, interview, and story I have heard of has him being incredibly down to earth and modest, while he's also an insanely talented software developer and games developer.

He's a hardcore libertarian true believer unfortunately.

e: also a bitcoiner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

yeah but all Atari games are trash, even the "good" ones

Seriouspost: There's literally only one good Atari game and that's Pitfall II and it's not trash.

That being said, I'd much rather play it on some better system, much as I did back in the day.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pole Position, Dig Dug, and Missile Command were good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think dig dug is namco

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

piratepilates posted:

Exactly, and everyone figured they could do that too. John Carmack isn't bad but he has such good public opinion and did "wacky" enough stuff that people emulate it making it a problem.

Like, everyone wants to be Steve Jobs and everyone who tries to be Jobs is absurd and obnoxious. Was Steve Jobs an annoying presence on stage or in the public eye? A little, but not nearly as bad as every turtleneck wearing techbro.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MuskyFlavor posted:

Superman for the N64 was the highlight of my childhood.

your parents should be arrested

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought the original Wii was the king of shovelware. Endless titles where you do little more than shake the Wii remote and (something happens) and wow! Motion controls!

The Wii library has a ton of great games that completely flew under the radar since it was dismissed as a bad console for casuals by console warriors (Sega published a lot of good stuff, for example, once you got past their Sonic games). But three-quarters of the library is absolute garbage tier filler.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

None of that is actually true, though it's the story that gets told a lot because by 1988 people were looking for something to blame for why that Japanese company was coming in and taking over good American industries. The Pac-Man game, for example, was a massive hit selling millions of copies... but Warner Brothers (who ran Atari at the time) printed nearly twice as many carts for as their were 2600's in existence. E.T. was published two years before the crash. I wouldn't even call them especially heavily promoted. E.T. had the standard television commercial for a major release and catalog listings that was pretty much it; it wasn't like there was a media blitz.

What hurt the industry was a bunch of companies making terrible business decisions; Warners deciding to strip mine Atari after they bought them, everyone and their cousin deciding that they could get rich making video games (a process that would repeat in Japan with the NES three years later and flood the market the same way), Mattel's completely half-assed attempt to set up their own platform, Coleco's... well... every decision Coleco made.

The fact is that the NES had a much worse ratio of godawful games to the 2600 where almost everything on it were simple arcade ports that did the one job they had as nicely as 1978 technology could. The Nintendo seal of quality existed solely because Nintendo was very light on restrictions for third-parties in Japan, then got mad that they weren't making even more money when the Famicom became the biggest thing since sliced bread. So when they brought the NES to the US, they took total control over manufacturing of cartridges and put heavy restrictions on their third-parties so they could get even more money (this behavior directly led to a lot of those companies going "gently caress you, Nintendo!" and going off to make their own console, refuse to publish with Nintendo in the US and instead hand over their stuff to Atari to publish on the NES, and generally look for anyplace else they could take their games).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The video game crash is the biggest lie ever told.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

The Wii library has a ton of great games that completely flew under the radar since it was dismissed as a bad console for casuals by console warriors (Sega published a lot of good stuff, for example, once you got past their Sonic games). But three-quarters of the library is absolute garbage tier filler.l

I don’t think it was entirely the “bad console for casuals”. A lot of the release titles had people crazy hyped from previews but ended up being the gaming equivalent of an on-fire paper bag full of dogshit. That kind of expectations—>delivery mismatch made people wary of a lot of stuff that came out on there that wasn’t a Nintendo game/riding insanely good reviews. Also the motion controls were often infuriating so a lot of people just gave up on it early for anything that wasn’t Smash.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

goethe.cx posted:

your parents should be arrested

Maybe it was the highlight of his childhood because that was the point he gave up video games forever and grew up to a be a rich, successful sex haver.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
AOC's favourite N64 game is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. drat, she has the best taste!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is quest 64 good? I remember liking it a lot for some reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

Only had an N64 as a kid, huh?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jokes posted:

From what I recall it was a cool looking tech demo with no game behind it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Only had an N64 as a kid, huh?

Please. I had all the video game consoles, making me too cool to have friends.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had a YT channel where I could have done blind LPs of FF7R. The game is totally asking for someone to make fun of it non-stop.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Rutibex posted:

that why everyone got bored of Wii like a month after it came out

getting drunk with my roommates and playing wii sports was a loving blast in college

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Wii was probably the weirdest mainstream console I can think of. I don't think there's a lot of games I'd call good without asterisks, and the motion controls really haven't ever added much at all outside like 2-3 games (and I doubt many will agree on what those games were) but it was still pretty fun at the time. That said, I had a PC for playing other games on.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in order of quality: Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana

Secret of Evermore is a beautiful game, the atmosphere in that game rules and i really like how everything from the story to the sound design and graphics is original, the game did its own thing and there isn't another game exactly like it. Secret of Mana is good but flawed, but the sequel tried to cram too much poo poo into the game that made the story just confusing and i didn't care for the lack of a single, clear antagonist. i dont think a nonlinear story is necessarily better

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Superb N64 games I can think of off the top of my head: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Mario Golf, Diddy Kong Racing, Paper Mario, Blast Corps, Beetle Adventure Racing, Rogue Squadron, Ogre Battle 64, Jet Force Gemini, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Snap, Sin and Punishment, Excitebike 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mischief Makers

I'd say that's pretty drat good.

Most of these are mediocre at best.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

yeah I loving adore Blast Corps but I wouldn't call it "superb" by any means

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

Most of these are mediocre at best.

They're mostly bad games. N64 is bad.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I spent a few minutes lurking the twitch stream of a popular WoW player while waiting for a kitchen timer and in about 10 minutes he stoked a bunch of anti-China sentiment in his chat, discussed how threatened he felt because white people are villified, and then told his chat how dangerous some trans person is and how she "controls your fate." I always knew that stuff is common among certain twitch communities, but I was impressed at how much he crammed into a short window.

Also WoW and EQ, and all other MMOs have never been good games, they were just graphical chatrooms.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I had a YT channel where I could have done blind LPs of FF7R. The game is totally asking for someone to make fun of it non-stop.

It is, but you'd get dogpiled by 100 weebs that think it's brilliant for every 1 person willing to laugh with you.

I honestly think the game is pretty fun even if it's not my type of game (still not sure I'll get up the motivation to finish though. It drags a lot) but it feels like it was written by a middle schooler.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yea sorry any game where you have to drive the loving backlash is a badgame by default

like who the gently caress designed silver sands or whatever that stage was called "let's make a level where you have to use this piece of poo poo car to destroy a huge number of buildings in a straight line, but the catch is that the middle is indestructible and also impassable so you have to be pixel perfect and then drive all the way around back to the other side and start over again i hope you have enough time!!!!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 16, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hot take thats probably been said in here but gently caress me if im reading 800 pages:

Breath of the Wild is a 6/10, 7 at best, and the reason why it is as popular as it is is entirely due to the Zelda branding. If it was released as a new and unknown franchise, it would've sold a tenth the number of copies, and the Switch would have floundered.

The game isn't even a Zelda game, and it really feels like it wasn't created from scratch to be one. I won't look into it, but I am willing to bet that it was pretty far into development before some executive told the people working on it to change the assets to be Zelda-themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know this one is probably a really unpopular take: for the most part, I despise most traditional boss battles where you have to learn the patterns and weak points. They give me bad anxiety, mostly due to the fact that of knowing that if you screw up you have to endure the whole sequence over again, which in turn causes me to mess up more than I would otherwise. I could never ever enjoy a game like Cuphead, despite how cool it looks visually.

That brings me to point B: any video game where the enemies don't react to attacks bothers me at least a little. Cuphead also does this, but I'm assuming its because of the limitations of the frames being hand drawn.