Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008
Anson as pike was the only good thing to come out of s2 Discovery.

But I have little faith in the writing crew seeing what we got in Picard. I just don't think that Trek works in a serialized format. It narrows the world down and ruins character development. The short seasons don't help anything either. You can't build on character relations or world building with 10 episodes. TNG DS9 etc had what 20+ episodes a season? And yes I know DS9 started going in a semi serialized production but it still had individual episodes which helped world building and character development.

And aside from what I've mentioned above but the writing in discovery and Picard is so lazy and weak. There's hardly any stakes and everything gets neatly resolved with flimsy explanations. The torpedo in the enterprise hull has to be the worse writing I've ever seen. No mention of giving the admiral a space suit or transporter beam out before the torpedo activates. And somehow a glass door provides enough protection as pike watches... Hell even if the transporter won't work etc at least mention they're offline or something.

Blinkz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

When I saw that he and some other Disco writer were working on a Foundation tv series my heart sank

Oh... Thanks but nah, guys

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Thom12255 posted:

I know Anson has got to be thrilled about this but lol he's really subdued in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6kUZwMOjQ

"I can't wait to put on that gold uniform and deliver number one"

Come on Rebecca now you are just loving with us.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Well CBS is now 0/2 in making Star Trek that is passably acceptable so im guessing this new show with all the same bad producers will also suck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These shows would be significantly improved if they weren't writing episodes during shooting, which apparently happened at times

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it would be best if they weren't writing episodes while shooting, and also while not shooting.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It would be best if anyone else was writing the episodes, and maybe one sole person that had a vision was in charge of Trek. Even if it was a bad vision, it would at least be consistent.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the expected plan for season 2 of Picard? They brought the Borg down to the synths for no reason this season so that must have something to do with it? Raffi literally had nothing to her story except table dressing and something about owing everything to Picard despite the fact Picard has done literally nothing for her. Magic tool exists for no reason despite the fact the synths are going to try and betray them.

What a loving fart.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Adventures of Robo Jean-Luc Across the Eighth Dimension

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Picard is the next doctor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

These shows would be vastly better if they weren’t shooting

... is what I think you guys meant to write

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Please be an episodic show.

Also please lean into the 60s aesthetic. I hope they straight up use the TOS theme like how the TMP theme was recycled for TNG and V.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

Also please lean into the 60s aesthetic. I hope they straight up use the TOS theme like how the TMP theme was recycled for TNG and V.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll get to see the USS Constellation arrive, accompanied by a bright, rear end-kicking rendition of its sad-sounding leitmotif from The Doomsday Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jZbAhF3nE&t=25s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You’ve all been clamoring for a Pike series to happen ever since Mount showed up in Disco, and now it’s happening and you’re falling over yourselves to poo poo on it, lmao

gently caress it, I’m pumped. Literally can’t be worse than the worst parts of Disco and Picard since we already know the lead trio is excellent.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’ve all been clamoring for a Pike series to happen ever since Mount showed up in Disco, and now it’s happening and you’re falling over yourselves to poo poo on it, lmao

gently caress it, I’m pumped. Literally can’t be worse than the worst parts of Disco and Picard since we already know the lead trio is excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't you just enjoy something?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Mal-3 posted:

Y'know, as long as it isn't killer robots I think I can live with that? I don't know who in the production office has such a hard-on for killer robots but I'm just tired of it. Enough, already! There are more ancient bad things in the galaxy than just "ooh, scary AIs" for gently caress's sake!

Nah the universe ending threat this time will definitely be contagion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They should fight Dracula. The actual Dracula, not some bogus alien dupe Dracula.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gonz posted:

They should fight Dracula. The actual Dracula, not some bogus alien dupe Dracula.

And Dominic Purcell should play him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

8one6 posted:

And Dominic Purcell should play him.

Wentworth Miller plays Alucard and allies himself with the Disco crew.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

I'm still holding out hope that we'll get to see the USS Constellation arrive, accompanied by a bright, rear end-kicking rendition of its sad-sounding leitmotif from The Doomsday Machine.

This should absolutely happen. Hell, pick a good actor and make Captain (later Commodore) Decker a recurring guest. Jeffrey Combs of course of course. Hell, they gave us what we want once already.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The cast could be a screeching mob of barely sentient pigmen and it wouldn't give me quite the sinking feeling as seeing the same roster of key creatives, who have failed upwards their whole careers, again back in charge.

Cast don't really matter. They're successful working actors, there's a baseline of competence in that field at least.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for another Goldsman and Kurtzman outing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

The cast could be a screeching mob of barely sentient pigmen

But enough about Neelix

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2020

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Did somebody say The Doomsday Machine? My favourite TOS episode?

<———

Powered Descent posted:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I guess, if I were trying to be optimistic, it would be a good sign that this idea and this show came up organically because of what actually worked on-screen, as opposed to some idea Kurtzman had that they threw money at.

If I were trying to be optimistic.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And if I were human, I believe my response would be, "Go to hell."

If I were human.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CPColin posted:

And if I were human, I believe my response would be, "Go to hell."

If I were human.

:thejoke:, I think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

The cast could be a screeching mob of barely sentient pigmen and it wouldn't give me quite the sinking feeling as seeing the same roster of key creatives, who have failed upwards their whole careers, again back in charge.

Cast don't really matter. They're successful working actors, there's a baseline of competence in that field at least.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for another Goldsman and Kurtzman outing.

Pretty much this

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mllaneza posted:

This should absolutely happen. Hell, pick a good actor and make Captain (later Commodore) Decker a recurring guest. Jeffrey Combs of course of course. Hell, they gave us what we want once already.

I've said this before, but the opportunities to bring back TOS era characters and explore them are big. Every admiral and captain on TOS could show up younger. So we could see Decker, Ron Tracey, Mendez, Garth of Izar. Same for movies--Morrow, Terrell, the unseen Nogura. Because of the merger, anyone from the JJ movies is available-like an alternate, not as bad Admiral Marcus could be played by Peter Weller and he can direct too. Robert and Sarah April from TAS would work. T'Pol from Enterprise should be alive, maybe even Shran-how long do Andorians live? Plus USS Enterprise crewmembers like Boyce or Piper as the CMO would be logical. Scotty is fair game too--he's established as older than Kirk and in beta canon he was always on the Enterprise pre-Kirk.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've been of the firm opinion that Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible writer since the frickin' Nineties, and nothing with his name on it that I've seen has ever been any good. Yet somehow he keeps getting high-profile, highly-paid work in Hollywood. It's one of those things that makes me question reality in a "What? But... just... what?" way, because clearly other people have a very different perception of it than me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You’ve been clamoring for reunification to happen ever since you showed up on Romulus, and now it’s happening and you’re falling over yourself to poo poo on it, lmao
                                     \

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

I've been of the firm opinion that Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible writer since the frickin' Nineties, and nothing with his name on it that I've seen has ever been any good. Yet somehow he keeps getting high-profile, highly-paid work in Hollywood. It's one of those things that makes me question reality in a "What? But... just... what?" way, because clearly other people have a very different perception of it than me.

Hey, John Logan keeps getting work. poo poo is weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Payndz posted:

I've been of the firm opinion that Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible writer since the frickin' Nineties, and nothing with his name on it that I've seen has ever been any good. Yet somehow he keeps getting high-profile, highly-paid work in Hollywood.

Yeah, ever since I've been into film discussion as a teenager Goldsman has been a widely accepted hack and the savvy have known that him getting attached to a project is a death knell for its quality. But unfortunately for us, people are successful in Hollywood if they're easy to work with, deliver on time and under budget, don't push back on executive notes, and ultimately make profitable content.

Quality of end product isn't really a factor—Hollywood is a business first and foremost. One could argue that they have to be careful about damaging the brand long-term, but Trek fans have shown themselves to roll with the punches well at pretty much every turn.

They're still in charge of Trek because fans are paying for CBS All Access and talking passionately about Star Trek on social media. They'll only care that you don't like it when you stop engaging. And if you're posting in this thread, well...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 16, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The only way to save Star Trek is not to watch Star Trek?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah yes the famed Tighclops Maneuver

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
*rubberbands into a flash of light right the gently caress in front of youuuu* can't blame me or anybody for straight up giving up at this point

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, ever since I've been into film discussion as a teenager Goldsman has been a widely accepted hack and the savvy have known that him getting attached to a project is a death knell for its quality. But unfortunately for us, people are successful in Hollywood if they're easy to work with, deliver on time and under budget, don't push back on executive notes, and ultimately make profitable content.

Quality of end product isn't really a factor—Hollywood is a business first and foremost. One could argue that they have to be careful about damaging the brand long-term, but Trek fans have shown themselves to roll with the punches well at pretty much every turn.

They're still in charge of Trek because fans are paying for CBS All Access and talking passionately about Star Trek on social media. They'll only care that you don't like it when you stop engaging. And if you're posting in this thread, well...

My theory: the dude seems to have made a career attaching himself like an eel to the underside of big projects that use existing, known properties. That way they make a ton of money regardless of quality and he looks like a genius storyteller or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Hey, John Logan keeps getting work. poo poo is weird.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

:hmmyes:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Astroman posted:

I've said this before, but the opportunities to bring back TOS era characters and explore them are big. Every admiral and captain on TOS could show up younger. So we could see Decker, Ron Tracey, Mendez, Garth of Izar. Same for movies--Morrow, Terrell, the unseen Nogura. Because of the merger, anyone from the JJ movies is available-like an alternate, not as bad Admiral Marcus could be played by Peter Weller and he can direct too. Robert and Sarah April from TAS would work. T'Pol from Enterprise should be alive, maybe even Shran-how long do Andorians live? Plus USS Enterprise crewmembers like Boyce or Piper as the CMO would be logical. Scotty is fair game too--he's established as older than Kirk and in beta canon he was always on the Enterprise pre-Kirk.

Here's what's going to happen. Scotty will be introduced on the ship, probably as a starting main character since he was hinted at in Discovery. Early season 2, Lt. Kirk is going to show up as a frat boy lothario who hits on Number One and probably bangs a minor character who hasn't been cast yet. He then learns responsibility from Pike. By the end of season 2, every TOS main character will have shown up for an episode or more, even teenage Chekhov somehow. Then a new spinoff is announced: Star Trek: Year Four, which is about the 4th year of the five year mission with the original crew, all recasted. We'll also get updates on what happened to all the Pike-era crew throughout that show, and at least one joins the Kirk crew but somehow doesn't look years older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly, that's an optimistic view. It'll be about some dark secret at the heart of Starfleet and will make everyone hate the OS characters due to incredibly melodramatic and off-model takes on their characters.