Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Helmets work as a sneeze guard.

Source: living with the aftermath of sneezing in my helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're serious, the last time I heard about it, scientists were starting to think the virus could travel in airborne aerosols and not just the heavier droplets. Helmets will keep the bulk of your disease-filled spit droplets inside, but some will exit out the bottom, and so will aerosols.

They will not stop you from inhaling other people's disease-filled droplets. At best they might make the droplet path more tortuous and less likely to find its way to your mucosa. And if the aerosol thing is true they won't help a bit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Phy posted:

If you're serious, the last time I heard about it, scientists were starting to think the virus could travel in airborne aerosols and not just the heavier droplets. Helmets will keep the bulk of your disease-filled spit droplets inside, but some will exit out the bottom, and so will aerosols.

They will not stop you from inhaling other people's disease-filled droplets. At best they might make the droplet path more tortuous and less likely to find its way to your mucosa. And if the aerosol thing is true they won't help a bit.

Also if any of that virus-laden aerosol hits the outside of your helmet, you're going to get it on your hands/gloves when you take your helmet off (it can persist on hard surfaces for days) and unless you're extremely careful you're pretty much definitely getting on your body from there.

The best defence remains doing what goons do best:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's looking more and more like you're going to get it from being in a confined space with someone who has it for prolonged periods of time, not your bare hand touched your helmet which you wore two hours ago when you rode by someone who sneezed.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's a coronavirus - it spreads like colds do. Being in a confined space for prolonged periods with someone who has it isn't good, but it's certainly not the only way to get it. Wash your hands frequently and do your best to stop touching your face.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have finally ridden the goldwing enough to require the first fill up of the year. So I pull up at Costco and they have these new pumps that require you to push them into the filler before they’ll activate. Like there is a very audible click when you push them into the filler neck and only then will they activate.

Car filler necks are mostly all the same and bike filler necks are all pretty different, so I didn’t really trust it to stop at the right time and not spray gas all over everything, so I held the weird nozzle foreskin back with one hand and pumped with the other so I could actually see what was happening.

Anyone used these? Do they actually stop on time for bikes?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have finally ridden the goldwing enough to require the first fill up of the year. So I pull up at Costco and they have these new pumps that require you to push them into the filler before they’ll activate. Like there is a very audible click when you push them into the filler neck and only then will they activate.

Car filler necks are mostly all the same and bike filler necks are all pretty different, so I didn’t really trust it to stop at the right time and not spray gas all over everything, so I held the weird nozzle foreskin back with one hand and pumped with the other so I could actually see what was happening.

If I recall correctly most pump nozzles use a venturi to stop flow, so if you insert the tip of 'er into the tank a few inches and leave it, it'll stop before it wets your pants. The nozzle condom is of no consequence.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have not had success with these stopping in time for me. I would 100% believe it is user error.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think it’s a vapor recovery system. All the pumps in California have it. Yeah, I just have to pull it back with one hand while I pump. My tank has a weird bar right across the filler hole for some reason so I can put the nozzle in more than an inch or so anyway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

further proof california Sucks rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I held the weird nozzle foreskin back with one hand and pumped with the other so I could actually see what was happening.

Yeah, as people have said, every pump in California is like that, and your technique is what you have to do. On one bike I can rest the thing on the edge of the fuel filler and push hard and it'll sort of work, but it won't fill the tank up all the way, so you've really got to hold it back with your other hand at least part of the time. At least it only takes like thirty seconds to fill a motorcycle tank. It's always a nice surprise when I ride to a different state and the fuel nozzles are normal.

I also think that every dude who's ever had to use one of those on a motorcycle immediately makes the foreskin connection.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so the prospective middle weight africa twin model is going to have a bored out NC700 engine (honda fit) who could thunk it
https://www.bikewale.com/news/45941-middleweight-honda-africa-twin-to-feature-a-790cc-engine.html

what else are they gonna dredge up and piss all over

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I've seen little "cards" on ADV sites that slip onto the nozzle, and hold that gasket back so that you can fill up normally. They are like $5.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Razzled posted:

so the prospective middle weight africa twin model is going to have a bored out NC700 engine (honda fit) who could thunk it
https://www.bikewale.com/news/45941-middleweight-honda-africa-twin-to-feature-a-790cc-engine.html

what else are they gonna dredge up and piss all over

The Hawk GT.

No seriously, they've submitted a new patent drawing for a V-twin that looks suspiciously Bros-like.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
With a supercharger too! :allears:

Please Honda go back to the 1990s

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They release a V-twin supercharged hawk with updated suspension and rider aids, but it's got the dogshit aesthetics of the UK version

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also, it's built by the same team that made the Grom so there is no swingarm bearing, seat is a hard nightmare, the engine is missing critical bearings to shave pennies, and the engine is a detuned shadow engine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

They release a V-twin supercharged hawk with updated suspension and rider aids, but it's got the dogshit aesthetics of the UK version

Yup, it's a new Dough-ville.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/honda-v-twin-works

Also no supercharger. The UK does have a version of the Hawk (in 400cc and 650cc flavors) called the BROS.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bros was the Japanese name for the Hawk, the UK only ever got them through grey import. Our official version was the Revere, basically a naked Deauville and roughly what you'd get if you rode a Hawk through the uncanny valley.

But yes the patent drawing on visordown looks a lot more like the Revere than the Hawk, what with the squat frame and extra plastic under the seat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good, it took long enough, drat. The SV has been around for 21 f-ing years already

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bros was the Japanese name for the Hawk, the UK only ever got them through grey import. Our official version was the Revere, basically a naked Deauville and roughly what you'd get if you rode a Hawk through the uncanny valley.

But yes the patent drawing on visordown looks a lot more like the Revere than the Hawk, what with the squat frame and extra plastic under the seat.

:lol: this is bang on. Like someone else at Honda tried to copy the hawk guy's homework.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The 400 Bros is still the most fun Japanese bike I've ever ridden, a perfect distillation of what you'd want out of a small-capacity bike - just powerful enough to keep you interested, but light and agile enough that it felt like you were controlling it with your mind. No wonder Honda dropped it, they can't have everyone knowing that they could do that all along.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Bros was the Japanese name for the Hawk, the UK only ever got them through grey import.

I didn't know it was a grey, since they seemed so common over there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The 400 Bros is still the most fun Japanese bike I've ever ridden, a perfect distillation of what you'd want out of a small-capacity bike - just powerful enough to keep you interested, but light and agile enough that it felt like you were controlling it with your mind. No wonder Honda dropped it, they can't have everyone knowing that they could do that all along.

This but with every small multi cylinder Honda. It's why we've now reached the pinnacle of boring in the form of the cbr300 - a small bike with every fun thing carefully sucked out, up to and including a single cylinder engine seemingly intentionally designed to be as unfun as possible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

I didn't know it was a grey, since they seemed so common over there.

Loads and loads of them came over at the tail end of the grey market peak around the turn of the millennium - I think they might have changed the law to make them slightly easier to import, and that shop down by Box Hill that I can never remember the name of, which was responsible for most of the grey market imports at least into the south-east, was bringing them over by the container load.

Alas most of them ended up in the hands of couriers once they'd run out of 80s UJMs to kill.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw another bike in my mirror for a few miles. When I stopped at the next intersection, a guy on a newish Rebel rolled up next to me and gave me a big thumbs up and fist bump. I don't think I was doing anything particularly cool, but it's nice to run into someone who's excited about bikes in general.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

One time when I was riding home a guy on a VFR750 pulled up next to me and gave me a fist bump. He started talking to me but I couldn’t hear him, so he grabbed his chin bar and ripped his helmet up over his face so I could see is mostly toothless mouth and asked me what my bike was, told me I could “handle a 900 no problem,” put his head phones back in “gotta have my tunes, love music man!” and put his helmet back on (no chin strap) and sped off into the night.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

One time when I was riding home a guy on a VFR750 pulled up next to me and gave me a fist bump. He started talking to me but I couldn’t hear him, so he grabbed his chin bar and ripped his helmet up over his face so I could see is mostly toothless mouth and asked me what my bike was, told me I could “handle a 900 no problem,” put his head phones back in “gotta have my tunes, love music man!” and put his helmet back on (no chin strap) and sped off into the night.

I visualized Florida in this story. Close?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

California. I thought his 900 response when I told him my bike was a CB300R and I just started riding 6 months ago was very on brand for him.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went to the WI DMV to plate the 690 today. No counter service for anything other than driver's license processing.

Ok whatever I'll do it online. No online registration for out of state titles, mail only. Ok let's just see how far behind they are on mail in tags & title transfers, can't be more than a week right? FIVE loving WEEKS.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yerok posted:

Went to the WI DMV to plate the 690 today. No counter service for anything other than driver's license processing.

Ok whatever I'll do it online. No online registration for out of state titles, mail only. Ok let's just see how far behind they are on mail in tags & title transfers, can't be more than a week right? FIVE loving WEEKS.

Lol a friend of mine bought a Himalayan at the beginning of quarantine and he’s just been riding around with the plate from his 500 Classic on it till the dmv opens again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do that if you have a plate to steal. Or ride with the paperwork so you can prove that you are in-process with registration

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Wrong thread

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do that if you have a plate to steal. Or ride with the paperwork so you can prove that you are in-process with registration

It turns out some of the third party title transfer/registration agents listed on the DMV website still have motorcycle plates on hand.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
keep the paperwork on you and DIY a tag: QUARANTINE

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Mostly it's funny to me that I spent so much time trying to get the XR legit, then I gave up and bought a 690 and now the DMV is closed. Maybe this is for the best though. I get to just go through a bank drive through and have them put the plate in the sweet pneumatic tube thingy instead of watching people cough on each other in the DMV.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yerok posted:

It's so rare to get pulled over here in WI (depending on uh, factors) that I would just throw a different plate on there and ride while the paperwork processes. It's a victimless crime anyway. I hope this isn't a nail in the coffin of our walk-in DMV system because the one here is decently efficient and I can get in and out in 30 minutes to an hour.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finally got past the malaise and dread of loving with the DRZs carb and went down to the garage to swap the PO’s JD jetting with the DJ jets I could source after installing a new exhaust.

One of the screws on the top needle diaphragm cover was a bit cheesed up and overtorqued making it impossible to undo, so that project came to a quick conclusion.

Larger JIS screwdrivers, a mini hacksaw to make it a flat blade screw, and some screw remover bits ordered. Not sure the best way to deal with it tbh.

Did manage to reinstall the cover plate that fell off after the petcock decided to piss fuel everywhere last month, and adjust the chain.

But when putting everything back together the fuel hose split ... and pissed fuel all over the newly and redone cover.

2/5 jobs done, one new one, and one struck off as impossible... I guess that’s progress?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Horse Clocks posted:

Finally got past the malaise and dread of loving with the DRZs carb and went down to the garage to swap the PO’s JD jetting with the DJ jets I could source after installing a new exhaust.

One of the screws on the top needle diaphragm cover was a bit cheesed up and overtorqued making it impossible to undo, so that project came to a quick conclusion.

Larger JIS screwdrivers, a mini hacksaw to make it a flat blade screw, and some screw remover bits ordered. Not sure the best way to deal with it tbh.

Did manage to reinstall the cover plate that fell off after the petcock decided to piss fuel everywhere last month, and adjust the chain.

But when putting everything back together the fuel hose split ... and pissed fuel all over the newly and redone cover.

2/5 jobs done, one new one, and one struck off as impossible... I guess that’s progress?

i'd just cut slots and try to flathead them out. if that doesn't work maybe a set of ez outs? they can't be in there that tight, the heads of the screws would just break off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

Try to grab the sides of the screw and turn with the sharpest pliers you have. Preferably something like knipex cobra that has straight teeth that bite into the screw head. Another option is vise grips.