Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Daniel Bryan posted:

People have been this crazy about stuff, but I feel like people are misunderstanding what the MBA is.

In their (extremely light) defense, we had to sell people on the 2011 model by being like “no, actually it’s way more powerful and capable than you think. No, it’s really better than the Pro. Really. It really is. I promise you, thats the one you want to get. It will be faster and better. For real. No you aren’t going to burn any DVDs....”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The MBA is cursed by the 2012-2013 model being the basic “I need a laptop” recommendation.

Now the 2020 sits where the old 12” MacBook used to sit. If you just want some computer to do things, the 2 port MBP is a much better buy I think.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The thermals on my i9-9980HK MBP are really great, haven't noticed any throttling. It's a speedy motherfucker.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine getting a 20-30% performance boost from just 1mm of extra thicc. Or XPS style vapor chamber. But nah, apple target demographic would notice the thickness more than the performance.

Bring back 2008 thickness. Call it a Pro S Max. Change $5999 for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Part of the issue is that “can it edit 4K” has quickly gone from being something that no laptop could really do to a pro/prosumer feature to a mainstream “new grandpa editing clips from his phone” feature kind of all at once.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine getting a 20-30% performance boost from just 1mm of extra thicc. Or XPS style vapor chamber. But nah, apple target demographic would notice the thickness more than the performance.

Adding more cooling doesn’t change the processor being a 10W part.

Don’t buy a MacBook Air if you want performance in more than 10-30 second chunks. Buy a MacBook Pro.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Adding more cooling doesn’t change the processor being a 10W part.

Don’t buy a MacBook Air if you want performance in more than 10-30 second chunks. Buy a MacBook Pro.

I was speaking in general. The MBPs could use some extra cooling too.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 16, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Part of the issue is that “can it edit 4K” has quickly gone from being something that no laptop could really do to a pro/prosumer feature to a mainstream “new grandpa editing clips from his phone” feature kind of all at once.

"Well, my Apple phone can record 4k60... are you saying my much bigger COMPUTER, which costs twice as much- can't edit it in a timely fashion???"

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I agree re: TDPs on the Air, it doesn't make any sense except as a web browsing device, and then, why wouldn't you just buy an iPad? I remain convinced they A) expected greater perf/watt improvements out of Intel by now, but they should have already learned that lesson on the 2019 Pro :shrug: and B ) macOS maintaining compatability with both ARM and x86 [in any sort of reasonably unified fashion] is proving harder than they thought, else, why not throw an A13 in the MBA and call it a day?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Crunchy Black posted:

I agree re: TDPs on the Air, it doesn't make any sense except as a web browsing device, and then, why wouldn't you just buy an iPad? I remain convinced they A) expected greater perf/watt improvements out of Intel by now, but they should have already learned that lesson on the 2019 Pro :shrug: and B ) macOS maintaining compatability with both ARM and x86 [in any sort of reasonably unified fashion] is proving harder than they thought, else, why not throw an A13 in the MBA and call it a day?

It fills the same hole left by the outgoing 12” MacBook and fits the needs of the same target market from that.

The “good for drat near everyone” laptop is the 2 port MBP.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It fills the same hole left by the outgoing 12” MacBook and fits the needs of the same target market from that.

The “good for drat near everyone” laptop is the 2 port MBP.

That’s not how these laptops are being marketed though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's nothing wrong with the Air, it fits the $999 Macbook price point just fine and will be perfect for the millions and millions of college students who will buy them by the truckload.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm not saying there isn't a niche there, I'm saying, Apple is being absoute rear end at filling it right now and people in this thread need to buy Pros if they're going to do anything more than install Chrome. That is a substantive difference in the model lineup compared to how its been leveraged in the past.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

17“ 18“ MacBook Pro please :getin:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm not saying there isn't a niche there, I'm saying, Apple is being absoute rear end at filling it right now and people in this thread need to buy Pros if they're going to do anything more than install Chrome. That is a substantive difference in the model lineup compared to how its been leveraged in the past.

The Air is just fine for all kinds of things. MS Office is less demanding than web browsing, outside of edge cases like huge Excel-based financial models. Lots of popular applications are either run through the browser, or their desktop versions literally are Chrome (well, technically, Chromium) thanks to Electron. Lots and lots of people don't need anything more out of a computer than, "runs a web browser, runs Word, plays Netflix, plays Spotify, and can do my taxes once a year."

If you want to do any video editing, batch processing (like raw photo import off an SD card, or compiling largeish chunks of software), or for some reason you want to game on a Mac, then a Pro is a better choice. For everybody else, the Air does a perfectly reasonable job.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crunchy Black posted:

This is absurd lmao.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Did electron apps suddenly get better? They’ve been resource hogs as long as I’ve used them.

I could see a low spec Air choking if you have a heavy Chrome instance, Discord, Atom/VSCode/Whatever.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ironic the people who need more performance are relatively poor compared to those who just need a web laptop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

"Well, my Apple phone can record 4k60... are you saying my much bigger COMPUTER, which costs twice as much- can't edit it in a timely fashion???"

pretty reasonable to be surprised by this if you're not a tech nerd though

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Did electron apps suddenly get better? They’ve been resource hogs as long as I’ve used them.

I could see a low spec Air choking if you have a heavy Chrome instance, Discord, Atom/VSCode/Whatever.

Electron eats a lot of RAM, but it's not as bad as you'd think looking at activity monitor/task manager/top. There's a lot of caching, as well as uncollected garbage and straight-up free space, that can be pushed out if Chromium sees memory pressure. Chromium will actually allocate memory in big chunks, and not bother to give it up if it sees that there's a decent chunk of free system memory. It does a lot of its own memory management, and OS-level malloc and free calls are relatively expensive operations.

There's an interesting dive into how things look for Electron memory consumption from the development side, rather than just "I see a big number of megabytes next to that process name!" here: http://seenaburns.com/debugging-electron-memory-usage/

quote:

Electron will truly eat free memory (documentation defines as “The total amount of memory not being used by applications or disk cache.”) until it gets pressure from the OS. Maybe this is a combination of disk cache from loading the images because working set size and previous measures of RSS don’t match up with how much of free gets used

Microsoft has some documentation about Teams memory usage, as well, complete with a graph that shows scaling across different amounts of installed RAM: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-memory-usage-perf Basically, if you give Electron/Chromium more RAM, it'll take it.

And, to take this back to Apple hardware - the very lowest-end, cheapest Macbook has eight gigs of RAM. Eight gigs isn't enough for everybody, but it's acceptable for most lower-demand users. Lots of people complain about how Electron apps are eating all their precious RAM, but there aren't a lot of people saying "this brand new MBA is too slow!" for usage that doesn't produce sustained CPU work/heat output.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 17, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Weedle posted:

pretty reasonable to be surprised by this if you're not a tech nerd though

That's the joke. People don't necessarily know you need a gpu for fast video editing.
They see the price and assume more = better than.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The dirt that is unseen cannot be unseen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

You have a point, but XPS has been bad for a while and it remains to be seen whether the vapour chamber (which is only on the 17 as well) will help it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

:wrong:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

This is absurd lmao.

Uh well yall have fun buying underpowered Intel machines that Apple is overcharging you for lol

And I say this as a huge Intel Mac apologist.

what niche is it filling, pray tell?

edit just to make sure I'm absolutely clear: the Air should have more *effective* power than it does.

The A-whatever ARM and or macOS version to support it in situ weren't ready so we have the current situation.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 17, 2020

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Does anyone with a new MacBook Air have any recommendations for either an HDMI or (full size) Displayport adapter that will 100% definitely work at driving a 4k 60Hz monitor? The USB-C to Displayport cable that works with my Windows laptop worked for about a minute before prompting a 'not enough power' warning on my MacBook Air and then stopped working altogether. I have a USB-C hub with an HDMI port that only works for 4K 30Hz. It's really hard to find info on whether any particular product will do 4K 60Hz on the Air as opposed to the Pro, so first hand experience would be pretty great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

This is absurd lmao.

I think a better way of putting it is that Apple (and lots of other companies, of course) set the tone in the early/mid 2000s for differentiating between “consumer” and “professional” laptop, and for what criteria shoppers could use to tell them apart.

Apple in particular really hitched their brand identity to creative work—filmmaking, photo editing, digital art, and so forth. And for a while it was really easy to be like “gonna edit serious stuff? get a MacBook Pro. Not really gonna edit stuff? Regular MacBook is fine for you.”

In the last ten years those metrics have dramatically changed. If the videos that you post on Facebook or send to your friends are shot in 4K, because every camera that you own is somehow now a 4K camera, then “can it do 4K” stops being a useful means to differentiate “consumer” vs “prosumer”.

A decade ago, we were still in the 5D Mk2 era, where professional-quality 1080p video capture had juuuuust become accessible to the average prosumer at $2500 minus lenses. The DSLR revolution was happening in the digital video space. Phones shot images that were 0.1 megapixel, 1.0 mp, 3.0 mp and took VGA-scale video. There was zero danger in 2010 that the video you shot on your iPhone 3GS would be too much for your polycarb MacBook.

Apple needs to reframe how they tier out their computers, or make hardware changes (ARM chip, video coprocessor, etc) that allow users to, say—easily transition from recording 4K video of their child or pet on their iPhone or iPad to quickly editing it on a MacBook Air. That’s the vision that Apple’s been selling since iMovie. And now that the A13 has proven itself capable of handling basic 4K work the deficiencies in the low-power intel hardware become more clear.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 17, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
YouTube is what I’d be worried about on the MacBook Air, given what it randomly does to my MacBook Pro. Also a very common use case.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

YouTube is what I’d be worried about on the MacBook Air, given what it randomly does to my MacBook Pro. Also a very common use case.

I haven't had an issue with YouTube running at 1440p in Chrome on my 2020 i5 16GB Air. In general I haven't had any real performance issues with it outside of using IntelliJ IDEA with a bunch of other poo poo open (Chrome, Slack, Steam, etc.) causing the fan to spin up a lot (and it still manages to feel fairly snappy). I don't do any video/photo editing though, mostly general usage and light dev work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

Uh well yall have fun buying underpowered Intel machines that Apple is overcharging you for lol

And I say this as a huge Intel Mac apologist.

what niche is it filling, pray tell?

edit just to make sure I'm absolutely clear: the Air should have more *effective* power than it does.

The A-whatever ARM and or macOS version to support it in situ weren't ready so we have the current situation.

I'm saying the premise that the Macbook Air can't do anything more than "run Chrome" is absurd.

It does 95% of what it's intended target needs it to do.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think a better way of putting it is that Apple (and lots of other companies, of course) set the tone in the early/mid 2000s for differentiating between “consumer” and “professional” laptop, and for what criteria shoppers could use to tell them apart.

Apple in particular really hitched their brand identity to creative work—filmmaking, photo editing, digital art, and so forth. And for a while it was really easy to be like “gonna edit serious stuff? get a MacBook Pro. Not really gonna edit stuff? Regular MacBook is fine for you.”

In the last ten years those metrics have dramatically changed. If the videos that you post on Facebook or send to your friends are shot in 4K, because every camera that you own is somehow now a 4K camera, then “can it do 4K” stops being a useful means to differentiate “consumer” vs “prosumer”.

A decade ago, we were still in the 5D Mk2 era, where professional-quality 1080p video capture had juuuuust become accessible to the average prosumer at $2500 minus lenses. The DSLR revolution was happening in the digital video space. Phones shot images that were 0.1 megapixel, 1.0 mp, 3.0 mp and took VGA-scale video. There was zero danger in 2010 that the video you shot on your iPhone 3GS would be too much for your polycarb MacBook.

Apple needs to reframe how they tier out their computers, or make hardware changes (ARM chip, video coprocessor, etc) that allow users to, say—easily transition from recording 4K video of their child or pet on their iPhone or iPad to quickly editing it on a MacBook Air. That’s the vision that Apple’s been selling since iMovie. And now that the A13 has proven itself capable of handling basic 4K work the deficiencies in the low-power intel hardware become more clear.

The vast, vast majority of people don't do any video editing more sophisticated than "cut a selection from a single longer shot," and they almost invariably do it straight from their phone. Cutting a larger movie together out of multiple shots, using a camera that's not built into a phone, or editing a video on a computer is already in way-out-of-the-norm territory.

Your “gonna edit serious stuff? get a MacBook Pro. Not really gonna edit stuff? Regular MacBook is fine for you” options still hold just fine if you consider the MBA the "regular MacBook."

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 17, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’d wager to say the MBP line has drifted from serious work loads. It’s more like the middle tier and the top tier is just non existent in the Apple lineup.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shaocaholica posted:

I’d wager to say the MBP line has drifted from serious work loads. It’s more like the middle tier and the top tier is just non existent in the Apple lineup.

I dunno man, I've got the 16" MBP and its pretty much top tier with the exception of I/O and workstation-type GPU offerings. Dongle Life is retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Idk that I agree with that considering that the new 16” MBP is a good like 2-3x more capable than my TOTL 2013 model and has 8 cores in it.

Describe your ideal “top tier” MacBook.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Brain Issues posted:

I dunno man, I've got the 16" MBP and its pretty much top tier with the exception of I/O and workstation-type GPU offerings. Dongle Life is retarded.

strong disagree. i'm a programmer and while i have a work issued 16" mbp (with 16gb of ram and the i9 8 core) i do 95% of my work on a five year old desktop with a quad core i5. regardless of what geekbench or whatever show, the performance of intellij, xcode and even vscode is so much better on the desktop than on the mbp. i don't know and don't care if it's thermals or tdp or lack of nvenc or what, but the performance of apple's laptops is embarassing

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Yeah I basically (minus storage and maybe a useless CPU upgrade, don't remember) have the TOTL 2013 15". I'm sort of psyching myself up for spending $3K+ to get the same thing again on the justification of future-proofing and 7-10 years of usage out of it. The 2013 is frankly still fine for me and only halfway through the 2nd battery's cycle-life so I don't need to go out and do this tomorrow.

My biggest concern future-proofing wise is if I'm going to buy into the tail end of Intel Macs and while I'm sure the first few years would be tolerable, on year 5 of ARM-life if I'm going to be treated like a bastard child and abandoned and told to upgrade only halfway though the amount of life I want to get out of it.

On the other hand the alternative seems like buying into v1.0 of ARM Macs and lol at buying into v1.0 of any Apple product.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yeah I basically (minus storage and maybe a useless CPU upgrade, don't remember) have the TOTL 2013 15". I'm sort of psyching myself up for spending $3K+ to get the same thing again on the justification of future-proofing and 7-10 years of usage out of it. The 2013 is frankly still fine for me and only halfway through the 2nd battery's cycle-life so I don't need to go out and do this tomorrow.

My biggest concern future-proofing wise is if I'm going to buy into the tail end of Intel Macs and while I'm sure the first few years would be tolerable, on year 5 of ARM-life if I'm going to be treated like a bastard child and abandoned and told to upgrade only halfway though the amount of life I want to get out of it.

On the other hand the alternative seems like buying into v1.0 of ARM Macs and lol at buying into v1.0 of any Apple product.

One Hundred Years of SolitudeFourteen to Twenty Years of Basically The Same MacBook Pro

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

This poster gets it (tm)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the talent deficit posted:

strong disagree. i'm a programmer and while i have a work issued 16" mbp (with 16gb of ram and the i9 8 core) i do 95% of my work on a five year old desktop with a quad core i5. regardless of what geekbench or whatever show, the performance of intellij, xcode and even vscode is so much better on the desktop than on the mbp. i don't know and don't care if it's thermals or tdp or lack of nvenc or what, but the performance of apple's laptops is embarassing

You can't really compare that because you're running Linux on the desktop, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doesn't help that 10nm Intel is what- three years late?

Everyone else caught up.