Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Atrocious Joe posted:

I haven't read the novel it's based on, but I have some reservations about that John Brown series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s

this dang youtube comment(!?) sums it up sort of well

that feels like a comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

theres an extremely good chance theyre going with crazy john brown whos got some growing up to do because free state of jones starred matthew mcconaughey fairly straightforwardly portrayed the title character as a white dude who realizes that slavery and racism is bullshit and was either panned for being too boring or too racist because you see this actual historical person who led a counterinsurgency against the confederacy only to see it all collapse when the north wins the war and gives the rich assholes back their plantations is actually just an extremely problematic white savior

I get the feeling that there are some white people who love the backlash against the white savior thing because it gives them an excuse to sit around and not do anything.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

that feels like a comedy

i read up on the book its based on and apparently it is supposed to be a comedy part of what makes this so jarring is that theres a huge literary tradition about john brown that stretches all the way back to w e du bois thats typically discussed john brown in terms of his theological convictions making him out to be in anachronistic parlance a dude who spent his life slowly being blackpilled with the raid on harpers ferry basically being him going to loving hell with it if i dont do it no one else will

but apparently in 2013 some guy wrote a slapstick novel where john brown gets into barfights and goes on wacky forrest gump style adventures with an escaped slave who he forces to crossdress a story that was somehow so well received in literary circles its now going to become a tv show that will probably become the permanent pop culture image for john brown going forward

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get the feeling that there are some white people who love the backlash against the white savior thing because it gives them an excuse to sit around and not do anything.

thats absolutely whats going on and its loving enraging because apparently any white person taking a selfless interest in race issues is a white savior now this started out as a legitimate critique thats been so horribly warped and twisted its straight up regressive even lincoln dipped into this with the frankly disgusting closing scene which suggests that the only character in the movie with genuine moral conviction only had strong opinions about slavery because he was loving his black housekeeper

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 07:00 on May 16, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Some Guy TT posted:

theres an extremely good chance theyre going with crazy john brown whos got some growing up to do because free state of jones starred matthew mcconaughey fairly straightforwardly portrayed the title character as a white dude who realizes that slavery and racism is bullshit and was either panned for being too boring or too racist because you see this actual historical person who led a counterinsurgency against the confederacy only to see it all collapse when the north wins the war and gives the rich assholes back their plantations is actually just an extremely problematic white savior

I liked that movie.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Some Guy TT posted:

i read up on the book its based on and apparently it is supposed to be a comedy part of what makes this so jarring is that theres a huge literary tradition about john brown that stretches all the way back to w e du bois thats typically discussed john brown in terms of his theological convictions making him out to be in anachronistic parlance a dude who spent his life slowly being blackpilled with the raid on harpers ferry basically being him going to loving hell with it if i dont do it no one else will

but apparently in 2013 some guy wrote a slapstick novel where john brown gets into barfights and goes on wacky forrest gump style adventures with an escaped slave who he forces to crossdress a story that was somehow so well received in literary circles its now going to become a tv show that will probably become the permanent pop culture image for john brown going forward

thats absolutely whats going on and its loving enraging because apparently any white person taking a selfless interest in race issues is a white savior now this started out as a legitimate critique thats been so horribly warped and twisted its straight up regressive even lincoln dipped into this with the frankly disgusting closing scene which suggests that the only character in the movie with genuine moral conviction only had strong opinions about slavery because he was loving his black housekeeper

jesus christ

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Granted, I'm still waiting a Haitian Revolution movie or miniseries.

Also, a Nat Turner movie not directed by and starring a rapist.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 08:49 on May 16, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's disturbing to me that after multiple classes covering the Civil War I never heard of Newton Knight. Almost like even in the 2000s school curricula were influenced by post-reconstruction attempts to rehabilitate the Confederacy, even if the "lost cause" idea was out of fashion by then.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

p funny to see people in the replies discover wonder showzen in 2020

https://twitter.com/hoseoksparkles/status/1261474190470905856

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Wonder Showzen is going to be as historical as Blazing Saddles where it's going to have insufferable people say they can't do humor like that anymore when it's more about the structure and execution.

They both kick rear end, though.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Wonder Showzen is going to be as historical as Blazing Saddles where it's going to have insufferable people say they can't do humor like that anymore when it's more about the structure and execution.

They both kick rear end, though.

will blow people their minds to learn this is from the same show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmyF-DBIq2I

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
clarence is some absolute A+ material

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I love wondershowzen

when it used to come on mtv2 i would get high with this guy in my building and watch it

we would just be getting high and watching wondershowzen

a different time

and just lol that the end of that sketch is a kid going ":rolleyes:ohh I get it your racism is ironic"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Totally forgot Vernon Chatman also made The Heart, She Holler and very surprised that got two more seasons.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Totally forgot Vernon Chatman also made The Heart, She Holler and very surprised that got two more seasons.

I loved Xavier Renegade Angel and even that got a second season

So in the MST3K reboot how come crow and servo are back did they get captured or something

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Zerilan posted:

Isn't he also behind the Shimmering Truth, which is a claymation version of the Outer Limits?

Speaking of Adult Swim shows that get renewed, 12oz mouse looked like it was made on a $20 budget and it got two seasons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Whoever said Community is not good after season 3 is missing out on moments like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzE64A28NI

Serf
May 5, 2011

deleted now but lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

deleted now but lol

That looks like its Michael Biehn

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm never watching this but it will haunt me

quote:

The Great is a satirical, comedic drama about the rise of Catherine the Great from outsider to the longest reigning female ruler in Russia's history. A fictionalized, fun and anachronistic story of an idealistic, romantic young girl, who arrives in Russia for an arranged marriage to the mercurial Emperor Peter. Hoping for love and sunshine, she finds instead a dangerous, depraved, backward world that she resolves to change. All she has to do is kill her husband, beat the church, baffle the military and get the court onside. A very modern story about the past which encompasses the many roles she played over her lifetime as lover, teacher, ruler, friend, and fighter. Incorporating historical facts occasionally, the series stars Elle Fanning as Catherine, Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi and Belinda Bromilow.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

some of the marketing was pushing how it had the same writer as The Favorite, which as a movie really emphasized how terrible those early modern aristocrats were. there's a small chance the girl boss aesthetic is for the marketing. i'm probably gonna watch it at some point, and will report back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

vyelkin posted:

Whoever said Community is not good after season 3 is missing out on moments like this:

Lol at britta just barely avoiding the laugh there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

deleted now but lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJrxxnBWPdI

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

vyelkin posted:

5-6 are great- I’m finishing 6 up now- but seasons 1-3 contained maybe some of the most consistently phenomenal comedy writing on American television. Seasons 5 & 6 are funny and clever throughout, but they lost the inspired momentum Harmon and co had been barreling ahead with previously.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

5-6 are great- I’m finishing 6 up now- but seasons 1-3 contained maybe some of the most consistently phenomenal comedy writing on American television. Seasons 5 & 6 are funny and clever throughout, but they lost the inspired momentum Harmon and co had been barreling ahead with previously.

Oh absolutely. Even by the end of season 3 that momentum was flagging a bit imo, but the dislocation of season 4 killed it off and cast members leaving meant it was hard to get it going again. Seasons 5 and 6 aren't as consistent but they do still hit it out of the park sometimes. I just rewatched the Honda episode last night and it is so good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Oh absolutely. Even by the end of season 3 that momentum was flagging a bit imo, but the dislocation of season 4 killed it off and cast members leaving meant it was hard to get it going again. Seasons 5 and 6 aren't as consistent but they do still hit it out of the park sometimes. I just rewatched the Honda episode last night and it is so good.

Agreed. I don’t think they could have ever kept it going, even if season four never happened, because Dan was more or less drinking/working himself to death and not delegating, or outright rewriting entire finished scripts after delegating (if I remember Harmontown correctly, it’s been a while). He was going to blow his brains out over a goofy show about adult education if he tried to keep that pace up.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1262381734739562502?s=20

LOL
https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1262156845898240004?s=20

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I have watched more Solar Opposites and it gets better... or I got worse. It’s wackier and less clever than Rick & Morty, but it’s also way less mopey and up its own rear end, which kinda balances out. I’m just watchin’ it all, I tell ya.
—-
Speaking of my slow descent into inanity, I recently started watching Joe Pera Talks with You and it’s maybe one of the best things to watch in a lockdown. I feel very relaxed and chuckle sensibly when I watch it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This man explained Quibi to me. Previous to watching this video I had assumed, based on intersection of bland icon design & name, it was some kind of social app for business children. Now I know that it's a Boomer's attempt to compete with tiktok... by slicing up Steven Spielberg movies into ten minute increments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFePUknSIc

At the end he bitches about how they could have hired proven content creators in the medium to make new programming(1), but I'm just here to watch the money burn.

e: 1: at this point in the historic cave painting our survivors will make to teach their children of the horror that befell the Gods in their hubris, if you're still bemoaning the fact that we could have had something nice if everyone wasn't just the worst, you're intentionally driving yourself insane.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 15:38 on May 21, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

rottentomatoes has been pushing quibi behind the scenes lately and i had no idea what quibi was or why rottentomatoes would care and now that i have a better idea what quibi is i think i can safely say its hard to think of a distribution method thats more at odds with the idea of traditional reviews

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure what's worse that American Media is so averse to ideas that no matter what they're given they just revert it into being a cookie cutter police procedural to be safe. Or they took the movie and just turned it into more Cop-aganda

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

rottentomatoes has been pushing quibi behind the scenes lately and i had no idea what quibi was or why rottentomatoes would care and now that i have a better idea what quibi is i think i can safely say its hard to think of a distribution method thats more at odds with the idea of traditional reviews

Yeah, imagine Roger Ebert reviewing Gallipoli, except he's in middle school and his world history teacher was showing it during class in 30 minutes chunks over the course of the week because he was on a bender. It's like that, except worse.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I'm not sure what's worse that American Media is so averse to ideas that no matter what they're given they just revert it into being a cookie cutter police procedural to be safe. Or they took the movie and just turned it into more Cop-aganda

remember when they made a minority report tv show that was just a police procedural with future psychics

not necessarily a bad idea on its own but anyone whod ever actually seen the movie was unsurprisingly just scratching their head thinking uhhh wasnt the whole point that the police were the real bad guys

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Last night my wife and I watched about four episodes of After Life, a show starring, written, and directed by Ricky Gervais.

The basic premise of the movie is that Tony, played by Gervais, just lost his wife to cancer, and he's having a hard time dealing with it and is taking it out on everyone he meets.

As far as I can grasp through, it's really an excuse for him to be a complete and utter nihilistic dick to people he comes across, but the presumed backdrop of "he's doing it because he's hurting over losing his wife" is meant to make the behavior endearing or tragic rather than simply abrasive.

He constantly talks about wanting to kill himself, he calls everyone "oval office", he's abusive to his workmates, but the first episode ends with him almost being mugged except he subverts the scene by daring the muggers to kill him and it befuddles them so much that he gets one good punch in and it disarms the situation.

The show is also primed to let Gervais work through all of his real-world grievances and neuroses:

* The premise is that Tony works for a small-time, dead-end newspaper run by his late wife's brother. This brother, Brendan, constantly has to ask his employees if any of the remarks Tony is making is offensive, and when pressed why he needed to ask the intern if she was okay with Tony calling someone else fat, he just shrugs and says "well you can't be too careful nowadays"

* As part of the premise, Tony goes out and interviews people for crank tabloid stories, such as a man who can play the recorders at the same time through his nose. One other such scene involves him interviewing a man whose wallpaper water stain looks like Kenneth Branagh. The man digresses about an incident where his wife recently got injured by muggers, but the police refused to chase them down because if they turn out to be kids, then the police are liable (?), and then he literally says "PC gone mad, eh?"

* Twitter comes up a bunch in the show. The first mention was that the newspaper Tony works in is still valuable because "not everyone is on Twitter", which I thought was a fine throwaway line, but then there's a scene where Tony is in a therapy session and his therapist (who is generally played off as being really bad their job) is on his phone all the time and he explains that he got into an argument with a know-nothing medical student that proceeded to block him and now the therapist wishes he could see the user in person and give them what-for. There's another scene where Tony gets into an argument with the nursing home carer for his dementia-addled father and the nurse tells him "you're like a Twitter troll - just because you're upset means everyone else has to be."

* Gervais's atheism! Tony babysits for his brother-in-law's son and the kid asks him "why didn't God save her [Tony's wife]", and he replies with "because God's an rear end in a top hat". And then in a later scene the straw-woman feminist in the newsroom has an argument with Tony over his "not believing in anything" and it's just a perfectly teed-up exchange where Tony gets to channel what Gervais believes and shoots down a bunch of creationist arguments from her.

In the last episode we watched, Tony has another of his marijuana-and-heroin sessions with the neighborhood junkie, since he discovers that getting high is the only way he can get to sleep. From talking to the guy, Tony finds out that he recently lost his girlfriend to a drug overdose, and that they're both feeling the same kind of nihilism, except the guy tells Tony that Tony hasn't completely given up, because he hasn't killed himself yet when he has the opportunity to do so, whereas the junkie only can't OD because he doesn't have enough money to buy enough drugs to do it. Then Tony gets out a wad of money, hands it to the guy, and then sits in stoic silence as the guy walks out and we see him buy drugs and presumably inject himself with enough to kill himself.

And this is played up by the show as a poignant moment, instead of being completely loving gross!

It's a completely awful show and it sucks and is bad.

Late to the party but you read my mind! Hate that show but pretty well-liked among people i know who watched it.

It gets even harder to sympathize with Gervais when he is such a prick to his brother-in-law, who is unreasonably accomodating towards Gervais even though he lost his sister, his loss is rarely akcnowledged in his ineractions with Ricky,

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1263227589465976833?p=v

even beyond the always appreciated gently caress phyllis schafly sentiment this is actually a fairly effective and reflective piece about the current trend of victim fetishization regarding women and minorities in historical fiction it isnt just contrary to the facts as we know them but even directly contradicts the ideological arguments and claimed experiences of the marginalized people such woke programming is allegedly attempting to educate us about

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's one of the loving Hamilton guys lmao, worse yet I think that's the one who plays George "ripped the teeth out of his Black slaves to make his dentures" Washington holy poo poo

Some Guy TT posted:

Quibi is a scam to destroy the labor rights and pay standards of production crews, because the episodes are 8-10 minutes each. Yeah. That's it. That's literally the entire scam. It's nothing but destroying labor rights and labor pay in order to Make Number Go Up. All for the glory of "muh golden arm." I'm not even loving joking.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

remember when they made a minority report tv show that was just a police procedural with future psychics

not necessarily a bad idea on its own but anyone whod ever actually seen the movie was unsurprisingly just scratching their head thinking uhhh wasnt the whole point that the police were the real bad guys

I watched two episodes of the Minority Report show, and the premise of it was bizarre. The show was supposed to be a sequel to the films, and the psychic siblings were supporting characters. Who wanted a real followup with those specific characters? And like you said, seeing them not understand the point of the movie and re-litigate all the debates about future crimes was mind-numbing.

The weirdest part is that there are multiple ways to make Minority Report an actual show with a less absurd premise:

Flesh out the plot of the story/film and build to not-Tom Cruise getting screwed over at the end of the season
Have not-Tom Cruise go rogue in the pilot and the rest of the show is a cyberpunk Fugitive knock-off with psychics
Just play out the plot in a single season and worry about S2 if you get the renewel

none of these required the creators to spend a bunch of money on CGI and props to fit the aesthetic of the film either

that's my take on a 5 year old show that aired 10 episodes

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I finally watched Joker a couple nights ago and was somehow able to keep from getting spoiled on it. When he does a sort of awkward jig on stage near the end is probably my favorite part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

holy gently caress lmao this is wonder showzen??? I went like three years without watching TV during the 00's and missed all of this

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)