Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't think I liked Rogue One as much as a lot of people, but I'll admit its highs were pretty high.
I really think Mads was wasted in it though.

I enjoyed a lot of Rogue One, but there were some odd choices.

Like in the beginning of the movie we're introduced to Saw and his crew, then they all die, then later we get a bunch of rando rebels to fill out the strike team and then THEY all die. Even if you had to have Saw die in the first half of the film, wouldn't it have made more sense to have Jyn and company rescue the rest of Saw's crew and have it be them who go along to attack Scarif? By having them around for the whole movie, especially if you give some of them lines and personalities, maybe let them mourn Saw with Jyn, then maybe we care at all when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Moon Slayer posted:

And instead of maintaining and expanding that fleet the Empire poured a significant part of its budget into a giant battlestation built around a planet-killer weapon.
Grand General Tagge was smart enough to know this.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

OhFunny posted:

Grand General Tagge was smart enough to know this.

Even Super Star Destroyers are arguably too big. Imperial class Star Destroyers are actually about perfect, because they're so versatile. Each one has fighters to control a wide area of space, ground troops (including AT-ATs and AT-STs for armored support) to hold critical targets on the ground, devastating orbital bombardment capabilities for when the ground troops aren't enough, and are dangerous combatants in space combat on their own.

A Death Star's weight in regular Star Destroyers would have been much more useful than either Death Star turned out to be.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Even Super Star Destroyers are arguably too big. Imperial class Star Destroyers are actually about perfect, because they're so versatile. Each one has fighters to control a wide area of space, ground troops (including AT-ATs and AT-STs for armored support) to hold critical targets on the ground, devastating orbital bombardment capabilities for when the ground troops aren't enough, and are dangerous combatants in space combat on their own.

A Death Star's weight in regular Star Destroyers would have been much more useful than either Death Star turned out to be.

Especially if said Star Destroyers had Tie-Defenders.

Seriously, as someone rewatching the last episodes of S4, I could just see Thrawn getting more and more furious at how situation is slipping from his control. He never let it effect his judgment in tactic or actions, but it didn’t matter.

Thrawn’s biggest weakness was the Force. The Force isn’t just Jedi and Sith, its also life itself. And it’s doesn’t follow logic. Thrawn was off Lothal only for a few days, and that’s all it took to derail his Defender project, and in his attempt to fix the situation Pryce caused, would cause Lothal to kick the Empire off the planet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Tie Defender is an overdesigned, super expensive crutch for pilots who can't achieve similar results in a Tie Avenger.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a drag racer, at least in tabletop X-Wing. Goes fast as all hell, but can’t turn for poo poo. Also, can’t fit 3 of them into a list...no matter what pilots you choose :argh:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Tie Defender is an overdesigned, super expensive crutch for pilots who can't achieve similar results in a Tie Avenger.

Counterpoint: it looks rad as poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Funky Valentine posted:

Counterpoint: it looks rad as poo poo

Still prefer the Avenger.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Just lol if you’re not stylin’ on fools in your sweet TiE Interceptor.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

TheCenturion posted:

Just lol if you’re not stylin’ on fools in your sweet TiE Interceptor.
Agreedo.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
All of you are fools. After all, it’s obvious that superior method of hyperspace travel and combat is by purgill. So what if you need the Force to get them to listen to you? The results speak for themself!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All these fools who've never played Tie Fighter.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

twistedmentat posted:

Serve the Emperor before all others.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheCenturion posted:

*missile lock on noise*

The sheer destructive power when you're in the TIE D is insane.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

twistedmentat posted:

*missile lock on noise*

The sheer destructive power when you're in the TIE D is insane.
I mean yeah it let's you double tap with cannons but the tie x7 title gives you a free evade if you go fast

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

*Puts his homebrew TIE Armageddon on the table*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

TheCenturion posted:

Simply pleased as punch to be the Emperor's stool pigeon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

*Puts his homebrew TIE Armageddon on the table*

Sounds like the TIE aggressor. The worst tie in the game

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Logical1234 posted:

All of you are fools. After all, it’s obvious that superior method of hyperspace travel and combat is by purgill. So what if you need the Force to get them to listen to you? The results speak for themself!

Hyperspace ramming, but with living creatures

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I hope Filoni has opportunity squeeze the Starwing back into canon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me a modern X-Wing/TIE Fighter game but it's all done in the style of the OT graphics-wise

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I bought X-Wing: Alliance just to fly the final mission in the Death Star II’s tunnels, everything else was a bonus.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Vinylshadow posted:

Give me a modern X-Wing/TIE Fighter game but it's all done in the style of the OT graphics-wise

...and VR

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

It is a ways off, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4qHsisO1K8&t=160s

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

I'm viciously vomiting right now thinking about the motion sickness I would get from this (not saying it wouldn't make me think twice about investing in a VR set for it...)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s a drag racer, at least in tabletop X-Wing. Goes fast as all hell, but can’t turn for poo poo. Also, can’t fit 3 of them into a list...no matter what pilots you choose :argh:

Fly it with Countess. :)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I suppose this counts for the purposes of the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDMTiamRRY

Worth noting that this was originally announced for D+, I wonder if their recently getting a new Direct-to-Consumer head might have changed things.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 27, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who's gonna be the first rear end in a top hat kid to join the Sith?

For real though, Jedi Temple Challenge would be extremely my poo poo if I were still in the age demographic.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Could also be that they're moving it online since YouTube kids content is less of a poo poo show than it used to be in the past. No comments and hidden stats.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint is that there's no giant stone head voiced by Dee Bradley Baker to complete the obvious callback

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AndyElusive posted:

Who's gonna be the first rear end in a top hat kid to join the Sith?

For real though, Jedi Temple Challenge would be extremely my poo poo if I were still in the age demographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That little girl loving rules.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

My only complaint is that there's no giant stone head voiced by Dee Bradley Baker to complete the obvious callback

That's Sam Witwer as the cackling "Dark Side" voice taunting the kids, though

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

jivjov posted:

Not too late for the Bendu to show up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

That's Sam Witwer as the cackling "Dark Side" voice taunting the kids, though

Of course it is.

The guy is all in on Star Wars. His enthusiasm is amazing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sam Witwer finally found his redemption from Force Unleashed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Of course it is.

I feel like Sam Witwer and Felicia Day ought to know each other, being nerd royalty and all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

Of course it is.

Unless it's post-Lucas Star Wars. Dude hates anything not made by "the maker" (though he's happy enough to take the paychecks from it...)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Witwer's a purist, but that's ok. He's still cool even though he doesn't like The Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Witwer's a purist, but that's ok. He's still cool even though he doesn't like The Last Jedi.

Eh it's not just TLJ, after he got raked over the coals for that one, he clarified that nobody knows Star Wars like Lucas and he doesn't see any of it as being as "valid" as when he was making it. He seems like a decent enough guy other than taking potshots at directors for "not doing their homework"...but he keeps. Doing. That. One. Thing.