Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's zen 2 and GCN-based, so there really shouldn't be any reason why these won't be in B450s (and since 400 series chipsets are practically the same as 300 chipsets, it's possible to have the A300-based Deskmini support them). I can imagine that an RDNA-based APU would require a switchover to what Ian Cutress calls AM4+, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

8 core 35W for my Plex and IP cam server please

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Wonder if you could legit downclock them to run on passive cooling, an 8C/16T 8CU running on 10W sounds incredible. I'd probably lose my poo poo if ASRock came out with a Raspberry Pi sized Renoir board.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is one heck of a dual-EPYC motherboard, and as the article points out, also the only one that currently exists.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

nice, so if zen 3 won't work on my B450 motherboard I'll just keep my 2600x until there's DDR5 stuff out there

if it does work (bios size limitation is poppycock, a fairly big bunch of motherboards have flashback so MSI or whoever can just make a "3XXX+4XXX only" bios if push comes to shove, or just get rid of the graphic bios and I'll live anyways) I might think about dropping in a 8/16 4700X or whatever

I don't get what all the fuss is, I'd like to be able to upgrade honestly but if I can't, eh... for my use, playing videogames at 1440p 60hz, CPU is really not that big a deal - actually it might be better to keep this CPU and get a better GPU for Christmas :)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TorakFade posted:

I don't get what all the fuss is

Deceptive marketing is always worth making a fuss over.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yep, this makes the choice easy to upgrade from a 1700 non-x to a 3900x in my x370 Taichi and then wait for AM5 for the next upgrade. The x600 chipsets better be awesome or I don't see a lot of people buying them with DDR5 around the corner.

AMD's marketing gaffe aside, I've had a very good experience with the Zen line of CPUs and am glad they brought some actual innovation and competition into the CPU market again.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In case you haven't seen it in any video game oriented threads/fora, here's what Unreal Engine 5 can do with RDNA2 hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mdxi posted:

In case you haven't seen it in any video game oriented threads/fora, here's what Unreal Engine 5 can do with RDNA2 hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

It's pretty, but rendered at 30 fps. Where's muh HFR?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

mdxi posted:

drat, those are some good lighting effects.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

It's pretty, but rendered at 30 fps. Where's muh HFR?

It's just being true to the console experience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It's just being true to the console experience.

Haven't Sony and MS made a big deal about this upcoming gen being capable of 60-120+ FPS at 1080p/4k?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Haven't Sony and MS made a big deal about this upcoming gen being capable of 60-120+ FPS at 1080p/4k?

If history is anything to go by, we will start to hear about how "cinematic" experiences are closer to artistic visions closer to launch.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

teagone posted:

Microsoft has. They also said the one x can to "true 4K" so they're kinda of full of poo poo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TSMC really taking aim at Intel by building the fab in Arizona, though of course, yet another water-intensive manufacturing facility in a desert area...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/tsmc-to-build-chip-plant-in-arizona-with-u-s-government-support

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

New assassins creed is confirmed to run at 30fps on the next Xbox lol. They all lied again

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

teagone posted:

I mean any device is capable of running whatever it can put out. There are phones that could do 4k/120. That doesn't mean everyone is going to make games that actually perform that way.

As long as gamers continue to be doofuses who are sold more on impressive screenshots/30 FPS ad videos than gameplay, big budget gaming is by necessity going to focus on doing the most impressive 30 FPS possible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

AMD Renoir SKU leaks, from Igors Lab - https://www.igorslab.de/en/all-technical-data-of-amds-new-renoir-desktop-apu-portfolio-for-am4-at-a-glance-exclusive-leak/

Looks like 65W and 35W versions (gently caress yea!), and from 4 to 8 cores, 6-8CU. Speculation based on the spreadsheets, a lot of it seems to be repeated so likely Pro versions as well.

65W (Unlocked TDP?)
4700G: 8C/16T, CPUClk 2.0-4.45Ghz, 8CU, GPUClk 200-2100Mhz, $299
4600G: 6C/12T, CPUClk 2.0-4.3Ghz, 7CU, GPUClk 200-1900Mhz, $199
4400G: 4C/8T, CPUClk 2.0-4.1Ghz, 6CU, GPUClk 200-1700Mhz, $129

35W (Locked TDP?)
4700GE: 8C/16T, CPUClk 2.0-4.35Ghz, 8CU, GPUClk 200-2000Mhz, $259
4600GE: 6C/12T, CPUClk 2.0-4.2Ghz, 7CU, GPUClk 200-1900Mhz, $179
4400GE: 4C/8T, CPUClk 2.0-4.1Ghz, 6CU, GPUClk 200-1700Mhz, $109

I think well get an Athlon 4000G/GE with 4C/4T and 4CU (CPUClk 2.0-3.9Ghz and GPUClk 1.4Ghz?), probably for 59$, at a much later date (Mid 2021?), or AMD may just throw the 3000 series APUs on sub $100 firesale

It seems unlikely that we'd see APU's priced less than the 3000 level CPU's for the same core/thread count, doesn't it? Unless 4000 series CPU's are going to be released at way lower price points than their predecessors, which seems unlikely.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I came across a Gigabyte B450M motherboard that was not stable with the XMP profile provided by 2x 8GB 3600mhz sticks of Hynix C die ram.

It turns out that the bios was ignoring the "I need 1.35v" part of the XMP profile, and decided to just go ahead and supply the ram with good ol' 1.20v JEDEC stock spec voltage instead. Despite running at advertised speeds / timings while being voltage starved, I could boot into Windows and not catch a blue screen until loading something heavy like Chrome.

It was trivial to fix, but I had to go through some *serious* menu garbage to find the the setting I needed to change. The flow was something like "Power Management >> advanced settings >> power user settings >> advanced power user settings >> power user advanced power settings >> WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE FIRES >> I AGREE >> dram voltage >> (switched it from AUTO to MANUAL) >> YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE CHANGING THIS SETTING. TEAR WARRANTY IN HALF BEFORE PROCEEDING >> OK >> ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS? >> YES >> (changed 1.20v to 1.35v) >> SAVE AND EXIT AND PROBABLY SCREW EVERYTHING UP >> OK.

I rebooted, and it's been wonderfully stable at the correct timings and speed. But I can see how a lot of users would have thrown in the towel and RMA'd one or more things, further growing the legend of "RYZEN SO PICKY WITH RAM."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SourKraut posted:

TSMC really taking aim at Intel by building the fab in Arizona, though of course, yet another water-intensive manufacturing facility in a desert area...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/tsmc-to-build-chip-plant-in-arizona-with-u-s-government-support

We'll see how far this goes, given whats happened with previous "big" industry projects in the US.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

The flow was something like "Power Management >> advanced settings >> power user settings >> advanced power user settings >> power user advanced power settings >> WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE FIRES >> I AGREE >> dram voltage >> (switched it from AUTO to MANUAL) >> YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE CHANGING THIS SETTING. TEAR WARRANTY IN HALF BEFORE PROCEEDING >> OK >> ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS? >> YES >> (changed 1.20v to 1.35v) >> SAVE AND EXIT AND PROBABLY SCREW EVERYTHING UP >> OK.

I don't think your bios did say that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

We'll see how far this goes, given whats happened with previous "big" industry projects in the US.

Yeah this was almost immediately followed up by the US demanding that TSMC cut out Huawei from getting chips from them

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You have no right to deny their life experiences!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You do get warned a whole lot about the AMD Overclocking menu in the bios and you have to hit "I agree".

Anyhow, 1.35V is very safe for all of the DDR4.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I have a 3200 set that will only run at 3000. I really should mess around with the voltages but life's too short

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
as i gaze wistfully at my B450 board and Ryzen 2600 i am reminded all too much of socket 939 and Athlon 3700 :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

c0burn posted:

I have a 3200 set that will only run at 3000. I really should mess around with the voltages but life's too short

Ryzen and tediously tinkering with RAM timings/voltages when you get a pair of RAM whose XMP profile won't properly set is annoying, but we deal.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

teagone posted:

PS4 already outputs 120 FPS in some PS VR games. PS5 will support the current PS VR headset (1080p resolution). On PS5 more PSVR games might do real 120 FPS instead of reprojecting a lower framerate.

Sony added mouse support to PS4 and they already supported keyboards. CoD has native mouse/keyboard support on PS4. They have different matchmaking buckets for those users. Xbox added mouse support in 2018.

I could see developers of shooters adding 120 FPS modes to their PS5/XSX games. Adaptive sync/VRR makes it more forgiving so they don't have to nail a locked 120.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They already announced that Dirt 5 will run at 120fps on the new consoles (albeit at a lower resolution than the 60fps mode)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Invested in a nice X470 board hoping to be ready for the generation after 3XXX CPUs but that didn't seem to work out. Not interested in a 3600/3700x. Bummer. :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is anything on the current consoles even running at 4k60 (or even 30 for that matter) at a real 4K resolution? I’m not sure how the Xbox one x does it but the ps4 pro does some checkerboard rendering thing so the resolution is actually 1080p or lower frames rendering in a checkerboard pattern that alternates every frame so each frame is the same number of pixels as 1080p. Lots of games don’t even hit a true 1080p internal resolution for their 4K output.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Invested in a nice X470 board hoping to be ready for the generation after 3XXX CPUs but that didn't seem to work out. Not interested in a 3600/3700x. Bummer. :(

Literally the same. If they don't backtrack on this I'll probably grab a 3xxx CPU when the 4xxx come out and they go on sale.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Is anything on the current consoles even running at 4k60 (or even 30 for that matter) at a real 4K resolution?

It's not super common but some XB1X games pull it off, for example BF1/BFV on the XB1X is dynamic 4K (dropping to about 90% res scale at the lowest) at 60fps.

Most "4K" games on PS4 Pro are using some kind of reconstruction upscaling though, yeah.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

can changing motherboards affect the reporting of CPU temps for AMD? i moved from a (lovely) b450 board to a (better) x570 board with this 3700x and the temps seemed to jump like 10 degrees - from like 29 at idle to 39-45 at idle (both at stock, no oc as of yet). this is with a noctua nh-12s which is a pretty great cooler by any stretch. tried repasting/replacing the cooler but no difference.

not unhappy with the temps by any means, just odd to see a board change come along with a large change in the temperature reported by a diode on the processor itself

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can't help but wonder if the heatsink didn't seat properly or has a glitch in the thermal paste or something.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure it does, I had a B450 that claimed it was idling 10C higher than what Ryzen Master reported. Repasted multiple times, made it so brackets were tighter, nothing changed it. Switched to an X570 mobo and now the mobo reported temp is more in line with RM.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

charity rereg posted:

as i gaze wistfully at my B450 board and Ryzen 2600 i am reminded all too much of socket 939 and Athlon 3700 :(
I still have my sticks of memory from my 939 Athlon x2 4200 system. They were pretty sweet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Budzilla posted:

I still have my sticks of memory from my 939 Athlon x2 4200 system. They were pretty sweet.

good god, we've found patient zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Budzilla posted:

Mine were OCZ with their own heatpipes. Fast but stupid.