Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Hypocrisy posted:

So...that happened. Was that what you wanted to happen?
You had me worried for a minute but it turned out even better than I expected. :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:suspense: I think we have a problem.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IT'S. loving. HAPPENING

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that was a way to return :prepop:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Slap S2

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A different group has picked up Burning Effect, which had previously left off on one hell of a cliffhanger.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah.

I was thinking about translating them on a Pastebin or whatever cause I wanted more people to read it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It feels like the author really should have given us this backstory in God of High School before the current events going down in the present...

EDIT: Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell is a really great series holy poo poo

Gologle fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 5, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to bump this thread with the news that The God of High School anime is now starting to air on Crunchyroll! Viewers new to the series, all I can say is you won't be able to predict where this series goes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, the anime heavily restructures things so it can cover 11-12 chapters in one episode.

I guess it wants to cover the entire first tournament in one cour, which means ~112 chapters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope it's better than the tower of god anime

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lmao i forgot that this series is completely insane from the start

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Manatee Cannon posted:

hope it's better than the tower of god anime

Did people think that was bad? I think the 1st ep was rough but it got better? I liked about how it ended up so far.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm finally starting my read of Season 3 of Kubera after giving it a few years to build up, and man, Kubera is so good you guys. I'm on chapter 80 and the plot has finally, after hundreds of chapters, made itself slightly transparent. Anyone who has read further than me, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in the following, I don't mind as long as you don't spoil anything that happens to the main characters:

So the entire plot is a game being waged between mainly 2 people, Vishnu and Kali, over the fate of the universe using various pawns. Vishnu wants to achieve the best possible ending that results in the maximum lifespan of the universe, and Kali wants to speedrun the destruction of the universe. They have played this game over the course of multiple universes, Kali has won the game every single time. Kali has already won this game too in a sense, in that she successfully corrupted everything so that getting the best possible time remaining in the universe is no longer possible, this was achieved through both killing Ananta who was never supposed to die and keeping Gandharva as a mostly-rear end in a top hat for a sufficient amount of time, because Ananta being alive and Gandharva being a good person were both crucial for the Best End. However, it's still faintly possible to get a Mostly Good End.

Vishnu only really cares about prolonging life in the universe, and to meet that end he will use any and everything he can, both good and bad people. So he used Asha, maybe probably Leez, and a bunch of other people and stuff. Kubera feels bad about killing Ananta and loving everything up but I'm not sure what his role is. Kali's main pawn is Yuta, who just needs to die and resurrect to lose all his attachments (mostly Leez at this point), since he's not only a Taraka but THE Taraka, and become an unstoppable killing machine that will destroy the universe. Asha is still, as far as I can tell, just a selfish bitch, but again, she's on team Vishnu, guy who works for the best possible end, so although she's a villain, in the long run it's probably going to work out fine. And then there's Sagara who is in way over her head.

So the game has basically reached a tipping point as far as I can tell. Because Yuta got stronger last season, so did the rest of his clan, and they're starting Kali's endgame of eating the universe. Sura realm is hosed, human realm will probably be hosed soon. I'm really not too sure what achieving Maruna's FINAL FORM will do at this point, because seems everything is too far gone for any one person to do anything about. I'm not sure how any of this is supposed to get fixed, because killing Yuta just accomplishes what Kali wants.

All I know is, Agni and Ran best bois, and Leez is 100 percent going to die at the end, and probably Yuta too, because this is a setting where nobody is allowed to be happy.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I thought the ToG anime was fine? GoH one looks decent from the first episode too.

Anyone been keeping up with UnOrdinary? It's been doing some interesting stuff, but I'm hoping the author hasn't gotten a little lost in their own story. There's a lot of loose threads that don't seem to have a way to get tied into what the central plot has developed into. Still enjoying the ride though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

I thought the ToG anime was fine? GoH one looks decent from the first episode too.

Anyone been keeping up with UnOrdinary? It's been doing some interesting stuff, but I'm hoping the author hasn't gotten a little lost in their own story. There's a lot of loose threads that don't seem to have a way to get tied into what the central plot has developed into. Still enjoying the ride though.

Unordinary became a bit of a slog, then moved again when some major bits about one main character that we all knew were revealed to another main character that didn't. Then it went into John's past and was interesting for like 1 of the x number of chapters it kept running with that. The story is overall interesting, but it's definitely one of those stories that would be better if it was cut in half or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tower of god anime really suffers from dropping a bunch of details/scenes from the original webtoon to fit into its episode format. it didn't exactly have the best animation either. I can't really blame the studio tho, because this series doesn't seem easy to adapt. the author loves big text dumps

if you're familiar with the source material, it's barely above acceptable imo. if you're not, you're prob gonna feel lost on a lot of things and that's only gonna get worse if future seasons stay like this

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gologle posted:

Kubera is so good you guys.

gently caress yeah it is.

Vishnu & Kali: Given who they're named for, preservation vs annihilation would make sense, but I'm not sure I buy it. It's a little too pat and a little too straightforward, for a story that is so in love with messy, ambivalent, emotional motivations. I also think it's significant that all the positive readings of Vishnu and his actions, and the "Best End" thing in particular, are imputed onto him by other characters- those few occasions he's actually appeared on screen have all been framed much more negatively. Though, most of those are in Asha's memories IIRC, and she's definitely inclined to read everyone negatively. And of course- if this is Kali's scheme, she's already won. The other primaeval gods have all given up already- what's she still going for, an end-run?

Of course, I haven't done a reread in years and there's absolutely a bunch of subtle cues and hints that I'm going to be forgetting. You may well have a better grasp of it than I.

The God Previously Known As Kubera: I think of all the schemers he's the most straightforward and solved? He was party to the murder of Ananta by deceit, and regrets it. In atonement, he surrendered his name and teamed up with Sagara to resurrect the big snek daddy. Because of how names work in this universe, surrendering his left his power up for grabs to anyone who claimed it- which is how Asha got her power, why Kubera Leez is so strong, etc. I don't think there are any mysteries left there? Except possibly why he thought calling back Ananta's name-zombie would end well.

Yuta: I think there might be a possibility he could be killed permanently with the Sword of Re? Or acquire another name, and escape his position as Taraka.

The universe generally: It does seem rather comprehensively hosed. At this point I think a "good end" for most of the characters would be something like getting to continue on in a new, fresh, non-hosed universe. But Currygom could go loving anywhere, really, I don't think she's boxed herself in at all, cosmologically.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that Leez gets a happy ending. She can't just suffer miserably the entire manwha and die at the end, that'd be mean. :colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think the first episode of GoHS is better but I'm still confused on why they just threw us in with negligible introduction to the characters.

Not sure how many episodes are going but I'm guessing they're going to try to get to the truth about Mori given how it started at a ludicrous pace already

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It needs to move at a considerably faster pace than Tower of God if it wants to get that far so a lot of stuff is going to be skipped or restructured.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

tower of god anime really suffers from dropping a bunch of details/scenes from the original webtoon to fit into its episode format. it didn't exactly have the best animation either. I can't really blame the studio tho, because this series doesn't seem easy to adapt. the author loves big text dumps

if you're familiar with the source material, it's barely above acceptable imo. if you're not, you're prob gonna feel lost on a lot of things and that's only gonna get worse if future seasons stay like this

I re-read the beginning of ToG about 5 months ago since the story was getting even more complex etc. I love ToG but it suffers from having 50,000 characters sometimes.

Anyways, having re-read that and watching S1 of the anime I don't remember thinking they cut out tons of stuff that made a huge difference? Overall I liked how they did it. The animation was rough in ep 1 for sure, but I think it improved a little and was good enough while not great overall. I'd put it as acceptable / good myself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
GoHS anime is starting out strong. Already both its OP and ED kick the poo poo out of ToG's, and because of the wacky nature of the work, it's able to get to the fun stuff basically immediately. Don't get me wrong, I liked ToG's anime, but if this one keeps up the energy from the first episode, it'll probably be a better adaptation of its source material.

EDIT: LMAO I had completely forgotten that Mira's whole motivation at the start was (spoilered for anime only watchers) "I must breed with the strongest warrior to pass down my clan's fighting power." She was thirsty right from the get-go

Gologle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2020

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Kubera chat:

It is basically still a mystery how many big players there are in this conflict and what their motivations are. It has been long portrayed that this is a duel between Vishnu and Kali but recently Brahma has been shown to have her own plans.

The more the story goes on the more sinister Vishnu is portrayed while Kali seems to have some symphathetic reasons for her actions. Not all of Vishnu's appearances in flashbacks had to necessarily be him though. Can't wait to see it continue.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

GoHS anime is starting out strong. Already both its OP and ED kick the poo poo out of ToG's, and because of the wacky nature of the work, it's able to get to the fun stuff basically immediately. Don't get me wrong, I liked ToG's anime, but if this one keeps up the energy from the first episode, it'll probably be a better adaptation of its source material.

EDIT: LMAO I had completely forgotten that Mira's whole motivation at the start was (spoilered for anime only watchers) "I must breed with the strongest warrior to pass down my clan's fighting power." She was thirsty right from the get-go

Yeah I finally just watched GoHS and it does kick the poo poo out of ToG. I wonder why the animation discrepancy is so much? I still like ToG as one of my more favorite reads of any comics right now but yeah the ToG anime seems like its gonna be fun as hell.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Kubera:

Asha has recently floated the notion that Vishnu and Kali might not be entirely opposed on the relatively small scale of recent events in the universe. Vishnu's deal is that he's a sort of spiritual utilitarian and wants to maximize the good on a scale that's utterly beyond humans and doesn't necessarily mean good things for something as ultimately expendable as a universe.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That Works posted:

Yeah I finally just watched GoHS and it does kick the poo poo out of ToG. I wonder why the animation discrepancy is so much? I still like ToG as one of my more favorite reads of any comics right now but yeah the ToG anime seems like its gonna be fun as hell.

I love ToG a lot but action isn't a super strong suit of it compared to GoHS so if I had a budget to make the two into anime I'd probably give more of it to GoHS

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
More Kubera:

I'm not totally through all the chapters released so far in Season 3, I'm on chapter 150, but I see that currygom has gone on another hiatus so I'm hesitant to keep going for now. The whole reason for waiting all this time to read Season 3 was to build a nice backlog; for something like Kubera I don't like to be on the hook for so long for the next chapter. But from what we've learned this season, I still don't fully understand what Segara is trying to do, and I'm not sure if it's the translation or my flawed understanding.

I could swear in season 2 it was said that Nastika, when they die, they're gone. Their soul gets destroyed in the 0th Dimension, and only their Name is left, kept in that dimension where nobody can use it. The whole reason why Sagara needed to be stopped was she didn't understand that her way of bringing back Ananta would just be bringing back an incarnation of unstoppable, mindless, ultimate power that would probably just destroy everything. But this can't be completely true, because Menaka and Shakuntala's souls were shown to be active, which in itself doesn't make sense. Agni, one of very few, if not the only, god able to get into Paradise through his virtue, said that Shakuntala's soul is in Paradise, yet apparently she was part of Taraka? Was that just her body acting to persuade her dad? And Menaka's soul was waylaid by Kali and made into the Taraka Mom, and later somehow misplaced into Teo.

Judging by Agni's reaction to Sagara still trying to resurrect Ananta, there's something very crucial that we haven't been shown yet, but I can't piece together what it could be.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gologle posted:

More Kubera:

I'm not totally through all the chapters released so far in Season 3, I'm on chapter 150, but I see that currygom has gone on another hiatus so I'm hesitant to keep going for now. The whole reason for waiting all this time to read Season 3 was to build a nice backlog; for something like Kubera I don't like to be on the hook for so long for the next chapter. But from what we've learned this season, I still don't fully understand what Segara is trying to do, and I'm not sure if it's the translation or my flawed understanding.

I could swear in season 2 it was said that Nastika, when they die, they're gone. Their soul gets destroyed in the 0th Dimension, and only their Name is left, kept in that dimension where nobody can use it. The whole reason why Sagara needed to be stopped was she didn't understand that her way of bringing back Ananta would just be bringing back an incarnation of unstoppable, mindless, ultimate power that would probably just destroy everything. But this can't be completely true, because Menaka and Shakuntala's souls were shown to be active, which in itself doesn't make sense. Agni, one of very few, if not the only, god able to get into Paradise through his virtue, said that Shakuntala's soul is in Paradise, yet apparently she was part of Taraka? Was that just her body acting to persuade her dad? And Menaka's soul was waylaid by Kali and made into the Taraka Mom, and later somehow misplaced into Teo.

One of the big themes of this season is that souls are not exactly the same thing as people. The exact implications of this are uncelar to me (kubera.txt), but I assume it's going to have some bearing on this. Though, Shakuntala was a Rakshasa, are they subject to the same rules as Nastika?

Minor (?) spoiler re: Sagara: her motivations are made more clear in the latest chapter.

e: I actually completely forgot the discussion of Vishnu that's in the latest chapter :downs:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just watched god of high school and yea the animation is miles ahead of tower of god. there's a lot of style in this show

it's definitely trying to cram too much into one episode tho. a fast pace is good but this doesn't even stop to breathe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

just watched god of high school and yea the animation is miles ahead of tower of god. there's a lot of style in this show

it's definitely trying to cram too much into one episode tho. a fast pace is good but this doesn't even stop to breathe

I'm kinda OK with it just going all out nonstop, totally fits the manwha being usually just batshit at all times.

At least there's a toooon of material to get through.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The author of GoHS really should have given Mubong this backstory waaaaaay earlier than he did.

lijmo
Mar 17, 2014
The people who are doing the daily releases of burning effect have started doing the prequel as well https://mangadex.org/title/51877/control. Only 8 chapters out but seems pretty cool so far, am already grasping at straws trying to work out how things connect

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad.

Burning Effect does explain how the two works connect, and the author intended for BE to be readable even without knowledge of the former series, but Control itself is a fun read in of itself.

lijmo
Mar 17, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm glad.

Burning Effect does explain how the two works connect, and the author intended for BE to be readable even without knowledge of the former series, but Control itself is a fun read in of itself.

Would you reccomend stopping reading burning effect (as much as it would pain me) to prevent spoilers for control? The latest chapters of burning effect Seem to be exploring Kai's authority and my hunch is that the control has something to do with it, don't really want to spoil myself completely. Thanks for stanning burning effect btw, got me to start reading it and is now my favourite webtoon.

lijmo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 28, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
English scans are on like, what, 105 or so right now? Control spoilers will be coming up soon, but the spoilers are the epilogue of Control , and don't really spoil much of the plot other than the identity of Y and the origins of the first Bear, and even if you read said Burning Effect chapter with spoilers about Control, it wouldn't really spoil the mystery of Control itself, is what I feel.

Admittedly I only read Control once, and speed-read it at that cause I had access to the chapters for a limited amount of time.

EDIT: Oh, wait, there is another major revelation on top of that which would definitely be a big Control spoiler.

That said, Control has 59 chapters + an Epilogue, so if you want to wait for Control to finish, you'd have to, uh, wait a long time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 28, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

how was someone(s) actually insane enough to animate god of high school

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Unclear, but it's great that they did

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

English scans are on like, what, 105 or so right now?

english is on 111 and has been updating every day for a little while now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, rooftop swordmaster certainly went in an odd direction. like, what even is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yinlock posted:

Biggest mark against the series is never getting to see jin tae-jin fight peoperly