Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
It was an extremely poor decision to release a patch right before the free weekend, especially with their history of loving things up in patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah seriously. The game is borderline unplayable right now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm playing 2.7.2 beta, and apparently I'm not seeing any war votes in my research coop federation? My fed allies are just going to war without any notice or vote, kind of loving up my plans. Level 2-3 fed with no non-default laws. Is this normal or yet another dumb bug? If a bug, is this new?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

What mod?
It kicks off colonisation of habitats and ringworlds automatically, and lets you build your habitats and megastructures over stations by demolishing the stations afterwards. The second bit is in vanilla now. Obviously I don't mean someone went "Hey did you see this mod with less than 300 subscriptions? We gotta get this in the game!", but I'd had a rough week so I'm enjoying the vicarious validation.
e:

And Tyler Too! posted:

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the habitat/megastructure QoL mod.
Yes that one

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 16, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So why uh, did they sneak in this absolutely ridiculous "feature" of showing you the DLC you don't own in the game itself and advertising it there? I know which DLC I don't own, because I didn't fuckin buy it. I don't need you to fuckin tell me I could unlock 20 new plantoid species portraits by purchasing the DLC. Christ sake, this looks like the kind of freemium garbage you get on phones now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drone_Fragger posted:

So why uh, did they sneak in this absolutely ridiculous "feature" of showing you the DLC you don't own in the game itself and advertising it there? I know which DLC I don't own, because I didn't fuckin buy it. I don't need you to fuckin tell me I could unlock 20 new plantoid species portraits by purchasing the DLC. Christ sake, this looks like the kind of freemium garbage you get on phones now.
The Stellaris brand associating with freemium phone garbage? But that would be completely unprecedented.

Out of curiosity what are the actual contexts where it's showing up? I already own all the DLC because I have brain problems. Are the plantoids showing up in the empire build screen even if you don't own the DLC?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

My guess is someone from a marketing or sales background probably got promoted too high and now they are pushing stupid ideas that help ruin the product side.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The Stellaris brand associating with freemium phone garbage? But that would be completely unprecedented.

Out of curiosity what are the actual contexts where it's showing up? I already own all the DLC because I have brain problems. Are the plantoids showing up in the empire build screen even if you don't own the DLC?
This is what posters over on the Paradox forums have been screenshotting. They are quite upset about it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
EU4 and CK2 already had if not identical than very similar displays, HOI4 too I imagine. imagine getting mad about it lmao

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Did this guy import a race from someone else that uses DLC they didn't have? How else should the game say "no" here?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

I'm playing 2.7.2 beta, and apparently I'm not seeing any war votes in my research coop federation? My fed allies are just going to war without any notice or vote, kind of loving up my plans. Level 2-3 fed with no non-default laws. Is this normal or yet another dumb bug? If a bug, is this new?

it just happened again, this is some bullshit

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ShadowHawk posted:

Did this guy import a race from someone else that uses DLC they didn't have? How else should the game say "no" here?

It's not saying no, it's saying 'hey bro, this race you've made is sort of poo poo, if you had this DLC maybe that wouldn't be the case'. It translates to recommended.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bofast posted:

This is what posters over on the Paradox forums have been screenshotting. They are quite upset about it.

An affront to gamers. A slap in the face.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

pmchem posted:

it just happened again, this is some bullshit

If the AI outvotes you, you usually will not see the vote. But unanimous? I dunno, man.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It looks like the game is on fire so I will probably hold off playing for a bit. That said, the patch notes mentioned some fixes for a few of the out of synch errors- has anyone noticed any improvement on that front?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think you still need to vote no instead of abstaining to stop a war going through with unanimous war declaration. Could you have somehow disabled the vote notification?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

RandomBlue posted:

It was an extremely poor decision to release a patch right before the free weekend, especially with their history of loving things up in patches.

Can this be the new thread title

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stellaris: Extremely poor decisions
Also I love VLUUR a lot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The beta branch is pretty good right now. Not that a new player on a free weekend would know how to switch to it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Staltran posted:

I think you still need to vote no instead of abstaining to stop a war going through with unanimous war declaration. Could you have somehow disabled the vote notification?

There are some notifications that the player is not allowed to disable, and while I'd like to say I can't imagine that list would not include "choose to start/prevent a war that will probably lead to your ally accepting a status-quo peace that results in you losing several valuable systems"... ahaha no, I've seen too many ridiculous oversight bugs to give paradox the benefit of the doubt.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Staltran posted:

I wouldn’t even know how to do that, so, I don’t think so

It’s bugged as gently caress

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Rogue servitors are extra likely to join hegemonies, either as boss or willing servant

Lmao get this: Planet of the simps

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What does that word even mean?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Simps are men who vie for the affections of women who never reciprocate.

Aka Incel vocabulary

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Let's not use that word? The idiots on social media thread already went through this and it's basically cuck 2.0 complete with all the implications of the kind of person who uses it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

this just showed up in my recommendations, did paradox throw a bunch of money around to have big name youtubers(well...moderately-sized name) make videos to advertise their game that was cripplingly buggy during almost the entire free "weekend" they offered? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIakGRuXYrs&hd=1

cute video though

"you blew up our MOM!"

Yes, they've been sponsoring a lot of youtubers to do gameplay content lately.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Is it possible to yoink trade value from a system in another empire's borders? That rear end in a top hat neighbor is just sitting there with an outpost not collecting it at all and I just upgraded my starbase next to it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Anticheese posted:

Let's not use that word? The idiots on social media thread already went through this and it's basically cuck 2.0 complete with all the implications of the kind of person who uses it

hope she sees this bro

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's a strip of tiny icons on the side of the screen, which is infinitely more subdued and unobtrusive than what "freemium" games do. It's barely noticeable and all of the Paradox titles do it.

It's not a list of DLC that you own or don't own, it's a list of DLC that are active; you can disable DLCs in the launcher

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Moktaro posted:

Is it possible to yoink trade value from a system in another empire's borders? That rear end in a top hat neighbor is just sitting there with an outpost not collecting it at all and I just upgraded my starbase next to it.

no but maximizing trade value is a perfectly justified reason to take the system off their appendages

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Question, is conquest in this game pretty much always several small wars to conquer an enemy instead of one big leap? It seems like war exhaustion hits really fast, so I basically need to have multiple quick campaigns planned out.

Also, is there an easy way to deal with the massive resource shortfalls that seem to hit when you capture a major world? I captured my idiot rival's capitol planet and suddenly I'm 40 or more in the hole on energy, food, and goods.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You can liberation war empires, which forcibly changes them to your ethics and if you only get a few planets/systems then the newly created empire tends to vassalize under you immediately unless you're inward perfectionist or otherwise uninterested in vassals.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Question, is conquest in this game pretty much always several small wars to conquer an enemy instead of one big leap? It seems like war exhaustion hits really fast, so I basically need to have multiple quick campaigns planned out.

Also, is there an easy way to deal with the massive resource shortfalls that seem to hit when you capture a major world? I captured my idiot rival's capitol planet and suddenly I'm 40 or more in the hole on energy, food, and goods.

Depends on the kind of empire you're playing. If you're playing a standard empire then yes, you will have to wage several smaller wars to devour your foes because you'll need to spend influence to claim systems. If you're playing a "total war*" empire, the entire opposing empire is up for grabs as soon as you declare war.

*Any of the genocidal empires: Fanatic Purifiers, Devouring Swarm, Determined Exterminators, etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Lategame you can build a colossus (AKA a Death Star), which inexplicably lets you Total War anybody, even if you never fire it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The last time I played this game was right after release and every time I think to myself "hey I should play some more Stellaris" I check this thread and it's not in good shape. Bleh.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

The last time I played this game was right after release and every time I think to myself "hey I should play some more Stellaris" I check this thread and it's not in good shape. Bleh.

The beta is actually great. Haven't seen anything gamebreaking well into the midgame.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

You can set yourself up to take lots of territory quickly through reducing the cost of claims:

Fan Mil -20%
Nationalistic Zeal -10%
Interstellar Dominion -20%
Both cost reduction techs -20%
Rival -20%
Belligerent or Supremacist stance -10%
Khan's Throne -20% (always be the one to kill the Khan!)

I think there's a minimum cost, but stacking modifers can easily get you a 80% cost reduction which is more than enough to swallow vast gobs of territory at once.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It's a strip of tiny icons on the side of the screen, which is infinitely more subdued and unobtrusive than what "freemium" games do. It's barely noticeable and all of the Paradox titles do it.

It's not a list of DLC that you own or don't own, it's a list of DLC that are active; you can disable DLCs in the launcher

You've clearly not made a new empire yet. All portraits are shown now, even ones you don't own. They then have a purple forcefield over them. clicking that gives you a cool and good advert about how great it would be for you to buy the lithoids pack to use this icon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This discussion about DLC-visibility must be terribly confusing for the people from the control group. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow, that's kinda lovely. It is just like how transaction trash "games" does it. Fits with the dlc icons being extremely visible and meant to stand out on the main screen. Gotta pleasure those shareholders above all else! Mmmm, slurp slurp slurp.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 17, 2020