Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Desire to know more intensifies.

Like for instance, why did they skip Denmark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Invasive species go both ways.

Take back your goddamn weeds Russia.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

YANKEE BEETLES ARE SUPPOSED TO DESTROY OUR HARVEST. THEREBY THEY ALSO THREATEN YOUR LIVELIHOOD!

Destroying the potato beetles means fighting against the plans of the warmongering imperialists. Your fight against the ruinous pest from the USA is a FIGHT FOR PEACE!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Looking it up, we've had a few minor invasions of it in Southern Denmark but they always die out. They can't handle the constantly shifting temperatures during our winters and end up getting fungal infections. Our winters are getting milder and milder though, so they might become a more permanent fixture soon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

Couldn't understand the language.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Invasive species go both ways.

Take back your goddamn weeds Russia.

What is the map and what are the weeds

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Of the tumbling variety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsWr_JWTZss

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Quorum posted:

I'm from Bordeaux and I say kill 'em all!

The French did call the German occupiers of WW2 Colorado Beetles, or doryphores.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guavanaut posted:

Couldn't understand the language.

Ah, so they're civilized

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Falathrim posted:

Butterburger is the best they could come up with for Wisconsin? Didn't realize the Midwest was that vanilla, geez.

Whole smelt is probably the weirdest WI food.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the weirdest food local to here is probably burnt ends, not because they're weird, but because we don't really have a lot of weird foods in kansas

bierocks?? they're russian/german pasties/pierogies/runzas

tho google is schooling me that while the Nebraska runza is always rectangular, the Kansas bierock is usually round, and it's that sort of meaningless distinction that powers the entire flat part of the country

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just learned about bierocks recently on the Burger Show. There's a whole lot of weird specific regional variants of food that you'd never really expect.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Honestly the weirdest thing about a lot of these is their names, many of which are completely off-putting. Yeah I'm just gonna call my delicious plate of hearty food "scrambled oxturds".

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

the weirdest food local to here is probably burnt ends, not because they're weird, but because we don't really have a lot of weird foods in kansas

bierocks?? they're russian/german pasties/pierogies/runzas

tho google is schooling me that while the Nebraska runza is always rectangular, the Kansas bierock is usually round, and it's that sort of meaningless distinction that powers the entire flat part of the country

The US is like a vault experiment where you draw completely arbitrary lines on the map (half the states are just basic geometrical shapes), but then you give these entities enough powers that the people in them actually start diverging from each other, and identifying a certain way. Well, that's basically the entirety of human cultural history, but nowhere is it as clean and obvious as in the US.

It's a really clever form of federalism, the states have far-reaching powers, but the borders mostly have no meaning whatsoever and are usually just straight lines, so local identities will still never become strong enough for people to want to seriously secede based on them. The regional identities that people might actually feel strongly about (Southern, etc.) don't correspond to anything within America's federal structure.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Coloroado beetles are also notoriously resistant to several pesticides, both due to historically bad synchronization of pesticide use with associated selection for resistance, and preadaptions for pesticide resistances from consuming plants with toxic glykoalkaloids for a living. High fecundity, coupled with bethedging propensities (good dispersal and diapause strategies) also add to making this species a pain in the rear end to deal with in agriculture.

Potatoes are not even the beetles original food source, as they are native to North America (west and southwest), and potato being a south american Andean plant. Its massive expansion across the US and later Eurasia was made possible by a host shift to potatoes as late as the 19th century. Pretty neat how it adapted to this new toxic plant these people were suddenly planting all over the place. Its free real estate.

Dont remember which the original native host plants were, but it was also toxic in a similar way to the potato plant. Probably the world champion of pesticide resistance, this beetle,

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 16, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably the buffalo-bur, that's a nightshade native to the area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Falukorv posted:

Potatoes are not even the beetles original food source, as they are native to North America (west and southwest), and potato being a south american Andean plant. Its massive expansion across the US and later Eurasia was made possible by a host shift to potatoes as late as the 19th century.

Yeah it’s interesting that we brought the crop to the pest. It’s almost always the reverse. Usually the pest hails from the crop’s homeland and follows it to new continents (with no predators), or is at least something of a generalist.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

How come East Asia seems so mercifully free from Invasive species? I'm alway dealing with Stilt Grass and poo poo I want them to suffer too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galagazombie posted:

How come East Asia seems so mercifully free from Invasive species? I'm alway dealing with Stilt Grass and poo poo I want them to suffer too.

It's not. That map is for tumbleweeds. Much of East Asia is unattractive terrain for tumbleweed, lots of mountains.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Coloroado beetles are also notoriously resistant to several pesticides, both due to historically bad synchronization of pesticide use with associated selection for resistance, and preadaptions for pesticide resistances from consuming plants with toxic glykoalkaloids for a living. High fecundity, coupled with bethedging propensities (good dispersal and diapause strategies) also add to making this species a pain in the rear end to deal with in agriculture.

Potatoes are not even the beetles original food source, as they are native to North America (west and southwest), and potato being a south american Andean plant. Its massive expansion across the US and later Eurasia was made possible by a host shift to potatoes as late as the 19th century. Pretty neat how it adapted to this new toxic plant these people were suddenly planting all over the place. Its free real estate.

Dont remember which the original native host plants were, but it was also toxic in a similar way to the potato plant. Probably the world champion of pesticide resistance, this beetle,

I like how he's farting out an aeroplane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
China has plenty of invasive species.

water hyacinth, guinea grass, prickly pear, American bullfrogs, quite a lot of fish

Here are the worse insects attacking agriculture there:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not. That map is for tumbleweeds. Much of East Asia is unattractive terrain for tumbleweed, lots of mountains.

What, Korea and Japan have no appetite for flavorless Tex-mex?!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hey wait, that ground-beef-and-rotel plate burrito covered in velveeta has..... flavors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Korea doesn't have much Mexican food, Tex- or otherwise, but far and away the worst Tex-mex I've ever had was in Korea.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Korea probably has pretty good Korean food though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Korea probably has pretty good Korean food though

Eh. You have to search if you don't want crap drowned in sugar and rice syrup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Five Thousand Years of Chilies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As far as dubious food maps go, I liked this one

as a lifelong resident of new jersey can someone please inform me what a new jersey style sloppy joe is

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alaois posted:

as a lifelong resident of new jersey can someone please inform me what a new jersey style sloppy joe is

According to the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/new-jersey-sloppy-joes/14457/

"In certain parts of the Garden State, the term "sloppy Joe" refers not to the ground-beef-and-tomato-sauce sandwich but to a no-cook deli classic. The double-decker sandwich combines two meats, Swiss cheese, coleslaw and Russian dressing on rye bread.

This recipe pays homage to the Town Hall Delicatessen in South Orange, N.J., which claims to be the originator of the sandwich in this form."

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Eh. You have to search if you don't want crap drowned in sugar and rice syrup.

the fun thing about 'ethnic cuisine' and 'street food' is that the world over, people love overspiced fried sugary bullshit

for a lot of folks, having a global palate is just broadening the range of garbage fast food you eat. thai fast food? romanian fast food? angolan fast food? i'm here for it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Japan has a unique Tex-Mex inspired dish made to appeal to US soldiers called Taco Rice which is basically taco fixings on white rice with the meat cooked with both the regular packed seasonings but also soy sauce, mirin and sake.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Alaois posted:

I’d tell you but this is a family webzone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Japan has a unique Tex-Mex inspired dish made to appeal to US soldiers called Taco Rice which is basically taco fixings on white rice with the meat cooked with both the regular packed seasonings but also soy sauce, mirin and sake.

you say Japan when you really mean Okinawa

#ryukyurevanchist

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

not gonna lie that sounds pretty good

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

all the animals here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/iGn4QeM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chesapeake Chessie and Tahoe Tessie don't seem particularly original.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm the fouke monster.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Colossal Claude looks like a B-rate Ogopogo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Chesapeake Chessie and Tahoe Tessie don't seem particularly original.

Tahoe Tessie’s territory is mostly in California. Sad!

Doesn’t Nevada have greys or something?