Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

shovelbum posted:

I miss the drat Hop Wars

I survived the IBU wars of the early 10's. I've...tasted things :gerty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm having a flashback of paying like 20 dollars for a bottle of the Mikkeller 1000 IBU IPA and thinking "hell yeah this is gonna be great"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

internet celebrity posted:

I'm having a flashback of paying like 20 dollars for a bottle of the Mikkeller 1000 IBU IPA and thinking "hell yeah this is gonna be great"

Holy poo poo! I think I paid like $5 for a decent pour. Was that beer really that expensive?

It was definitely awful...

I think that whole thing peaked with the Ruination 10th Anniversary, which I quite liked at the time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I unironically miss Devil Dancer. :(

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The best bitter beer I have had is XX Bitter, and that's just 60-65 IBUs. I feel you get diminishing results after that.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I survived the IBU wars of the early 10's. I've...tasted things :gerty:

Hop Wars were a lot better than the Sugar Snacks Offensive we've been living in for a while

Every loving beer is candy/dessert flavored

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I unironically miss Devil Dancer. :(

Years and years ago I went to Founders Fest and had a batch of Devil Dancer that was aged in brandy barrels.

The name was better than the beer though, it was called Looking Glass. Get it?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Agreed. I would much rather live through the IBU Wars again.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
When all the beer is sold in pint cans for huge money with big hype and a good review is "wow i could drink 2oz of this"....

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

danbanana posted:

I think that whole thing peaked with the Ruination 10th Anniversary, which I quite liked at the time.

I'm 100% a haze fiend at this point but I still find Ruination a pretty good old-school DIPA, especially when compared to Hopslam and its ilk.

Also from the last page buy all the Commonwealth beer you can find, their success rate at everything is off the charts and they're much less likely to get caught up in a VA hype war or copyright infringement issue.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MunchE posted:

Hop Wars were a lot better than the Sugar Snacks Offensive we've been living in for a while

Every loving beer is candy/dessert flavored

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

danbanana posted:

Holy poo poo! I think I paid like $5 for a decent pour. Was that beer really that expensive?

Yeah that was bar price for the original paper wrapped corked and caged bottle.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Beer thread 3: Every loving beer is candy/dessert flavored

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

RuinTen was so good the first time, then they rebrewed it in a larger quantity and it was awful. I remember grabbing a few bombers during the re-release expecting that original citrus hop bomb and being hugely disappointed in what the second batch was.

Currently working my way through a Highland Park local delivery, and I'm so glad I was able to land two WC IPAs. With everything being hazy, it's always nice to enjoy some clear beer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
We got this far in bitter hop bomb chat without mentioning Palate Wrecker?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
IMO beer peaked at two hearted ale. Anything created after that is unimportant.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HamAdams posted:

IMO beer peaked at two hearted ale. Anything created after that is unimportant.

Hm.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

That beer was always trash. Though most of the overhopped brews were...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ruination was good as hell

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

shovelbum posted:

Ruination was good as hell

They still make it! I had to google that! Also, they've apparently made this since 2015:

https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/year-round-releases/stone-ruination-double-ipa-20-sans-filtre#ageGatePassed

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mahoning posted:

god I miss this poo poo and WCIPA

green flash why did you try to open that virginia brewery and gently caress it up so hard that you had to basically completely pull back distribution. I'd be going hogwild if I could get original WCIPA in the new 6 pack can format in this hazy hellscape

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

deadwing posted:

god I miss this poo poo and WCIPA

green flash why did you try to open that virginia brewery and gently caress it up so hard that you had to basically completely pull back distribution. I'd be going hogwild if I could get original WCIPA in the new 6 pack can format in this hazy hellscape

We distribute the West Coast cans here in Ohio. And we have Palate Wrecker as draft only. I haven’t had Palate Wrecker yet but the WC tastes exactly how I remember it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Finally got some Precarious up my way.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

HamAdams posted:

Beer thread 3: Every loving beer is candy/dessert flavored

True, but Vocation's Breakfast Club 2.0 is loving great.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

True, but Vocation's Breakfast Club 2.0 is loving great.

It helps that it's not tooo sweet despite the adjunct list

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Enjoy those 400 calorie fudge cake stouts now boys, summer is coming and that’s crispy time :cheers:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The local scene has kicked out a few really lovely lagers recently and I'm 100% for it. I didn't think I'd get into it, as a craft beer baby, but like there's nothing quite like a crisp lager during the summer.

Hefeweizen and Gose are still the champions of summertime beers though, come fight me if you disagree.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Couple of these tonight lads

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I quite like Buoy Cream Ale

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I quite like Buoy Cream Ale

Buoy makes good lagers too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kalsco posted:

Hefeweizen and Gose are still the champions of summertime beers though, come fight me if you disagree.

Such controversial statements will surely get you booted from this group.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Hoppy low abv lagers is where it's at. I will fight people who disagree.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

danbanana posted:

Such controversial statements will surely get you booted from this group.

Ok fine I think stouts are pretty much always better as a dessert drink with adjuncts/aggressive barreling than just like, as a stout thats been aged in
some relatively neutral tasting wood/has a strong malt/roast/smoke flavour or whatever.

Maybe I'm just too moderate about beer opinions, okay!!!

e: heavy fruited stouts are cool and very good, especially during the summer.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah!!! There's a brewery here that pretty much exclusively does aggressive hopping/hazy/milkshake IPA stuff and they have a low ABV hopped ale and it kicks. It is a 7.5 Hazy Hop Beast? No, but it's definitely within shades of and that's cool and good.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 18, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Klaus Kinski posted:

I wish these were more common. It's not a thing but I really want IPLs to be a thing. I also like Black IPAs a lot so i have some wack opinion.s

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kalsco posted:

Hefeweizen and Gose are pastry stout is still the champions of summertime beers though, come to Florida and fight me if you disagree.

:hmmyes:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

It's barely summer but I had a mikkeller turbo-gently caress-you pastry stout a week ago and I wouldn't disagree.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish these were more common. It's not a thing but I really want IPLs to be a thing. I also like Black IPAs a lot so i have some wack opinion.s

Personally, I find it is a pretty delicate balance. Go too crazy with it and it takes away from the appeal of a lager imo. To Øl Raid Beer for instance is a bit too hop forward for me, and I would rather have most of the focus on noble hops, maybe with a hint of something more modern in the aroma. The sweet spot for me is pretty close to Pivo Pils. If they made a 4.5% version of that beer, just to bring out the crispness a little more, it would be perfect. That said, I've had some IPLs that were basically just 6% West Coast IPAs fermented with a lager yeast, and it can still be a nice beer.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 18, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

thotsky posted:

Personally, I find it is a pretty delicate balance. Go too crazy with it and it takes away from the appeal of a lager imo. To Øl Raid Beer for instance is a bit too hop forward for me, and I would rather have most of the focus on noble hops, maybe with a hint of something more modern in the aroma. The sweet spot for me is pretty close to Pivo Pils. If they made a 4.5% version of that beer, just to bring out the crispness a little more, it would be perfect. That said, I've had some IPLs that were basically just 6% West Coast IPAs fermented with a lager yeast, and it can still be a nice beer.

I mean like a regular lager with regular noble hops etc but with a dry hop of something fun or like basically a modern medium IBU clean pale ale thats already made with mostly pilsner malt but now with lager yeast.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I crushed some Rolling Rocks today and they were ice cold and I enjoyed them :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Spanish Manlove posted:

I mean like a regular lager with regular noble hops etc but with a dry hop of something fun or like basically a modern medium IBU clean pale ale thats already made with mostly pilsner malt but now with lager yeast.

Yeah, that does kick rear end.

As far as dark beers go I still believe that the the best expression of them remain the 6,0 - 6,5% ABV American versions whose clones were a staple in any brewpub up until not so long ago. Stuff like Kalamazoo Stout, Obsidian Stout, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter and especially Founders Porter. The only dark beer that could even remotely be described as dessert-like that I fancy is Aphrodisiaque.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 18, 2020