Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Ooh boy, this aged as well as a corpse. loving idiot, even in 2008:

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/87298?programid=2785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/cahlberg/status/1261373108516089857?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/PetraMHall/status/1261371994085285889

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Idg, Isn't that just a private think tank/foundation not really connected to the government?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why are you posting Paolo Roberto itt?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Why are you posting Paolo Roberto itt?

Former S politician counts, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy 'gently caress You Denmark Day'!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'd gently caress us too. :quagmire:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Setting off 17. mai fireworks to frighten away Danish spirits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Putting out surströmming to appease the swedish spirits.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Drinking norwegian spirits to appease norwegian spirits

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pensively eyeing Bohus Fortress lest Danish-Norwegian aggression threaten Swedish-Fino independence again.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Make jemtland and herjedalen norwegian again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Make Götaland Goth Again

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Balkanize Scandinavia!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/cnute/status/1262026778522071046

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

Happy 'gently caress You Denmark Day'!

Weeeell... arguably the shenanigans of 1814 were more of an attempt at "gently caress you Sweden" given exactly who our guys were trying to install as King of the independent Norwegian state.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Groke posted:

Weeeell... arguably the shenanigans of 1814 were more of an attempt at "gently caress you Sweden" given exactly who our guys were trying to install as King of the independent Norwegian state.

You are right, the Danes gave us a pretty cool king so we good. Swedes however, gently caress'em. Been invading and harassing us for centuries, and then getting all buddy-buddy with the nazis in ww2. NOT something a good neighbor would do! :mad:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's a good thing we Scandinavians can bicker and in-fight so much over trivial nonsense - because the last time we didn't, we sort of ended up with an empire.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's a good thing we Scandinavians can bicker and in-fight so much over trivial nonsense - because the last time we didn't, we sort of ended up with an empire.

the kalmar union was essentially a 100 year long civil war, not an empire

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ahaha, nu ska de korrupta gamarna sälja Huddinge sjukhus. :suicide:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Followed by divorce proceedings that lasted another 200 years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Scandinavia was pretty much a low key civil war until 1905.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

GyverMac posted:

You are right, the Danes gave us a pretty cool king so we good.

Not talking about Haakon VII, but Christian Frederik. You know, that Danish prince who later inherited the throne of Denmark, and was elected as king of Norway for some months in 1814. Arguably an attempt to preserve a personal union between Norway and Denmark.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Scandinavia was pretty much a low key civil war until 1905.

Low key? I know it tends to be glossed over in history lessons, but genocide, guerrilla warfare and brutality was part of this conflict for centuries. Vlad wasn't the only one who impaled.

Come to think of it, the harmony of Scandinavian intranational relations is a fantastic example of how more than a thousand years of enmity can be forgiven and even turned into positive feelings of mutuality. It's proof that generational perpetuation of hatred and enmity can be broken. Hopefully all of the regions currently plagued by ethno-nationalist conflicts will one day have the same bonds as we do, aware of the past, but having cast it aside.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why did Sweden fold in 1905? You could have forced us to give away large areas of economic and strategic importance in exchange for independence. The only concession was that we had to remove some fortifications that no longer needed now that their political purpose had been accomplished. The working class may not have been very eager to figth, but that did`nt stop anyone in continental Europe 9 years later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baudolino posted:

Why did Sweden fold in 1905? You could have forced us to give away large areas of economic and strategic importance in exchange for independence. The only concession was that we had to remove some fortifications that no longer needed now that their political purpose had been accomplished. The working class may not have been very eager to figth, but that did`nt stop anyone in continental Europe 9 years later.
Feminism.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Baudolino posted:

Norway was already functionally independent and had been so from the beginning, but especially after the king had to fold to Stortinget in 1884 and accept parliamentarianism (in Sweden this took until 1917 to finally shake out, see borggårdskrisen). The only thing the union actually did was make Oscar II king of both Sweden and Norway, and put the Swedish state department in charge of the foreign policy of both countries. It had been apparent for decades already that the union was going to split sooner or later because there was not much of a benefit for either party, the only question was when it was going to happen. The conflict was mainly around the terms of the dissolution of the union and whether Stortinget really had the authority to do it (hence the referendum), not so much about the dissolution itself, and even among Swedish conservatives who thought the whole thing was unconstitutional, only a few ultraconservative weirdos were outright in favor of doing what you're proposing (setting unreasonable demands so as to force a war). Most Swedish conservatives took the long view and figured that starting up the whole intra-Scandinavian wars again would be counter-productive for national security. King Oscar II himself did not believe the union could be held together by force at all, especially not since the great powers would probably interfere.

Basically the complaint from Swedish conservatives was that well ACTUALLY you didn't have the constitutional right to dissolve the union without negotiating first, and also you insulted the king, so there.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 18, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Baudolino posted:

norway was a ridiculous backwater which provided almost no treasure and no troops. whatever benefit there would've been to the swedes in holding on would likely have been vastly outweighed by having to actually occupy the loving place, which has lots of very rough terrain and a population determined to have independence.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

PederP posted:

Low key? I know it tends to be glossed over in history lessons, but genocide, guerrilla warfare and brutality was part of this conflict for centuries. Vlad wasn't the only one who impaled.

Come to think of it, the harmony of Scandinavian intranational relations is a fantastic example of how more than a thousand years of enmity can be forgiven and even turned into positive feelings of mutuality. It's proof that generational perpetuation of hatred and enmity can be broken. Hopefully all of the regions currently plagued by ethno-nationalist conflicts will one day have the same bonds as we do, aware of the past, but having cast it aside.

One should note that many noble families were related across the “borders” and any form of modern national state didn’t appear until at earliest Vasa.
Before that was basically noble families versus other noble families where “nationality” was a lesser concern. Which kinda explains how we had the same person as king on 5 separate occasions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Most Swedish conservatives took the long view and figured that starting up the whole intra-Scandinavian wars again would be counter-productive for national security. King Oscar II himself did not believe the union could be held together by force at all, especially not since the great powers would probably interfere.

Not to say that there wasn't tension. Norwegian troops was posted on the border for example:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Not to say that there wasn't tension. Norwegian troops was posted on the border for example:

Hygge

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

Drinking norwegian spirits to appease norwegian spirits

loving Norwegians don't just have better mountains, more money, prettier nature and nicer people than we do in Sweden, hey have better aquavit too.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The Swedish navy had actual plans on how to face the Norwegian navy and had pre deployed to the west coast.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Cardiac posted:

One should note that many noble families were related across the “borders” and any form of modern national state didn’t appear until at earliest Vasa.
Before that was basically noble families versus other noble families where “nationality” was a lesser concern. Which kinda explains how we had the same person as king on 5 separate occasions.

Absolutely, but that was the case across Europe. And we did have some pretty rough times during the wars - post-battle impalements, genocide in Halland, etc. Luckily we didn't have religious strife to add gasoline to the bonfire, but still, I think the end result of all that bloodshed and tragedy gives hope that humanity is capable of moving on. Rwanda is another example of this. I heard a radio documentary on the forgiveness process in Rwanda, and it's incredibly how far they've come. Humans can be pretty horrible, so it's nice to be reminded that there's also an incredibly capacity for moving on and trying to do good. One of the people talking in the documentary talked about how tribes and nations that do great evil will often be reborn in the aftermath of their misdeeds - maybe it's a bit naive, but it's interesting thought.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

and nicer people than we do in Sweden,

[Citation needed]

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PederP posted:

Absolutely, but that was the case across Europe. And we did have some pretty rough times during the wars - post-battle impalements, genocide in Halland, etc. Luckily we didn't have religious strife to add gasoline to the bonfire

The christianization of Norway was pretty rough. Olav Tryggvason for example forced snakes into people that wouldn't convert and drowned people who practiced seidr:

There was definitely wars were religion was one of the elements.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Baudolino posted:

before the oil Norway was just trash, better to be thrown away

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zzulu posted:

before the oil Norway was just trash, better to be thrown away

What is old is new again! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The christianization of Norway was pretty rough. Olav Tryggvason for example forced snakes into people that wouldn't convert and drowned people who practiced seidr:

There was definitely wars were religion was one of the elements.

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of the sectarian monotheistic warfare that plague the second half of the second millenium. Areas with multiple Abrahamic sects seem to be significantly worse off when it comes to stability and peace.

But you are right that the christianization of Scandinavia was not a peaceful time. The brutal crusades launched in the Fenno-Baltic region by opportunistic feudal lords of Denmark and Sweden were also pretty bad.