Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It's so weird seeing someone have a cyclops and prawn suit before they even find the moonpool :psyduck:. The first thing I do after I get a seamoth is hunt down moonpool fragments so I have a place to charge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Damage to the Cyclops also doesn't work the same as damage to other vehicles. I've never had a Cyclops destroyed, but I have had one damaged, and it's always an adventure when it is.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Oh I really like that. The bridge looks like it has a hull-piece health monitor, so you can see where breaches are. I'm assuming that that and the bulkheads Actually function.

But I was worried that, before you could repair your Cyclops, the nebulous health number would plummet and leave you floating freely amid the wreckage of too many resources

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
The bulkheads functioned much better before the Cyclops was made destructable. Originally the only risk was flooding and the bulkheads allowed you to repair a section and be able to get it to drain so you could breath, then go section by section and do repairs to get it back into shape. It also made using floaters on a sunk one to get it up to the surface a useful tool.

Now the upper floor bulkheads are just more of a hindrance to getting to the fires caused by going top speed too long. At least the ones below make sense to keep everything from flooding when then docking bay opens.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Also, DN, are you saving a lecture on the Horrors of Floaters or is it okay to talk about them and the many fun ways in which they can gently caress up your vehicles? :v:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

IMJack posted:

Your fixtures even tilt to conform to the walls of the Cyclops' storage bay!

And you can stack wall lockers in two rows on both walls, and still access the built-in lockers flush with the wall from the vertical gap between them.

You can also put lockers in the "prawn bay" part of the ship, and while they look glitchy, they won't hamper the use of it. In total, I think you can put a 100+ lockers on it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, DN, are you saving a lecture on the Horrors of Floaters or is it okay to talk about them and the many fun ways in which they can gently caress up your vehicles? :v:

Be my guest!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So Floaters. You might've noticed them attached to a few casually hovering boulders, as well as massive versions of them under the Floating Island that the Degasi survivors settled on at first. But for some cursed reason they're not just decorative objects, the small ones can be picked up, they can float free, they can latch on to other things, and when they do, they will exert a permanent upwards force until they're at the surface. This tends to mean that they're wonderful for completely loving up vehicles, and I believe, at least in the past, they could even get attached to the player character under certain circumstances.

gently caress leviathans, floaters are absolutely the most dangerous lifeform in the seas of this planet. If you could attach them to the leviathans themselves, the floaters would certainly win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t00kYLF368c

This video shows them off, also shouldn't contain anything we haven't already seen in DN's videos except for a completed moon pool as far as I'm aware.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 15, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I haven't lost any vehicles to floater shenanigans. Usually it's not too hard to notice 'why do I keep going up' and 'why can't I go down' before you have problems, since the majority of floater's you'll swim past are in shallow depths.

I've lost at least 3 Prawn's to Reaper Leviathan's though. And at least 6 hours of playtime.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I've never had any issues with floaters, honestly. I do make sure to get a certain upgrade on my Seamoth if I'm using it in order to avoid having it easily destroyed by Reapers, but I'm careful enough that it hasn't been necessary.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Every Seamoth I've lost to leviathans has been when I've jumped out to collect something and then had my Seamoth powerbombed by a Reaper out of nowhere. I swear those fucks just hide behind rocks and wait for me to jump out so they can eat my vehicles.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#18 - Alien Containment

A three story fishtank is pretty cool.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Need to finish the bee theme

Vespamantis- a praying mantis that mimics wasps

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I kind of feel like reloading my game now and poking around with it. I don't recall picking up that suit, although maybe it's just been a long time since I played. I'd also really like to build a deep water base, which is something I didn't bother with in my game.

Definitely going to need that map mod installed though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There is BTW a mod to toggle the Prawn Suit lights off with a keypress.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Is there any way to scan the more dangerous fauna or is it the case that saved limbs are worth more than lore?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stasis rifle makes scans pretty easy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Samovar posted:

Is there any way to scan the more dangerous fauna or is it the case that saved limbs are worth more than lore?

Yeah, the manual way! :v: I'm just preferring to not take unnecessary damage that I don't have to. But if you're feeling particularly ballsy, there's nothing stopping you from swimming with the sharks, so to speak. Or you can use the Stasis Rifle and pray it doesn't wear off before the scan finishes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

By popular demand posted:

There is BTW a mod to toggle the Prawn Suit lights off with a keypress.

Guess I need to grab that one then.

I know the sharks can be easily scanned if you dance around a bit. Haven't tried scanning a warper yet. Too busy stabbing it too pull out the scanner, Or yeeting it away.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, the manual way! :v:

:hai: You're not truly living unless you're tailing a Ghost Leviathan and trying to scan it before it manages to outmaneuver and eat you.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
One of the later hostile Leviathans is actually extremely easy to scan, because it doesn't have a melee attack. :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

One of the later hostile Leviathans is actually extremely easy to scan, because it doesn't have a melee attack. :v:

I don't think I ever realized that - I thought I'd just gotten real clever at staying in their blind spot.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Love the alien containment triple decker. My favorite thing is growing a bit of creepvine in there - they grow to full size as long as you have two stories and give off some nice light.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
If you catch an infected fish and put it in the aquarium with other fish, will it spread the infection to them?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, I don't know if it's possible, but I would love to see the Queen Bee do a breach like you can with the smaller vehicles. Like, once from a camera or two and once from inside. I am easily amused.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ousire posted:

If you catch an infected fish and put it in the aquarium with other fish, will it spread the infection to them?

Yes!

It won't kill them; the effect is purely visual, but it happens.

You can get a similar effect from one of those sparkly-trail peepers.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

If you could attach them to the leviathans themselves, the floaters would certainly win.

The floater entry actually mentions that. If a bunch of floaters manage to attach to a leviathan, it kills the leviathan, and they all grow huge on the corpse. That's how you start getting the enormous ones that attach to islands. Add in that I don't think you can actually KILL floaters and yeah, they're some scary poo poo.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
So floaters are invincible physics-breaking jellyfish that latch onto you and do terrible things to man and machine. What you're saying is that they are essentially Metroids of the sea.

Also, the fact that removing specifically the left powercell from the Prawn disables the headlights is a completely believable hardware quirk and yet :psyduck:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Picked up this game ages ago for cheap/free and didn't play for long due to getting frustrated with thirst (the game really needs to make it more obvious what your early water sources are), getting disoriented because I didn't know about beacons or being able to change their colors, etc, etc.

Turning hunger & thirst off is definitely much better. I've gotten to the point where the rescue ship gets shot down and the warp thing introduced itself; managed to scan the "passive" one that shows up near the gun building, though it did teleport me into itself and take off about half my health bar. Got a bit of a roadblock (seablock?) due to not being able to find the shipbuilding station schematics anywhere.

e: Of course the schematics turned up in the first wreck I looked at after loading up the game again. Now I just need to find more lead for a moonpool.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 19, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#19 - Grand Reef

Let's go deep. Really deep. Well more than double our previous dive record (~345m).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why do you need the thermal reactor if you have a nuclear reactor?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That green stuff is most likely meant to be Brine. :eng101:
Which makes that area a large Brine pool, which is something that can occur at extreme depths. We're talking 2000m below the surface levels of extreme in this case.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Why do you need the thermal reactor if you have a nuclear reactor?

Mostly for the purposes of demonstration. Also because, materials-wise, thermal reactors are cheaper to build than nuclear. Let's just say that I'm not done setting up FOBs yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

That green stuff is most likely meant to be Brine. :eng101:
Which makes that area a large Brine pool, which is something that can occur at extreme depths. We're talking 2000m below the surface levels of extreme in this case.

Isn't this a freshwater ocean? The water needs to be sanitised before we drink it but not desalinised.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's saltwater.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God those loving crabsquid. I hate them, I hate them so much. They are the CREEPIEST loving THING in the Subnautica oceans.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hwurmp posted:

It's saltwater.

Yeah, considering we can find literal salt crystals, this ocean is hella salty. Maybe even Dead Sea levels of salty.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow. So it turns out that I've not only managed to beat the game without ever finding this habitat, but also apparently without ever encountering (or noticing) a crabsquid. I'd remember that.

e: ...I think.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 19, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DoubleNegative posted:

Mostly for the purposes of demonstration. Also because, materials-wise, thermal reactors are cheaper to build than nuclear. Let's just say that I'm not done setting up FOBs yet.

Also you don't exactly have fuel rods growing on trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

anilEhilated posted:

Wow. So it turns out that I've not only managed to beat the game without ever finding this habitat, but also apparently without ever encountering (or noticing) a crabsquid. I'd remember that.

e: ...I think.

I think they guard all the entrances to the underground river, and you can't progress the plot without passing within a couple hundred meters of one. I think you were just lucky and oblivious.