Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RandomFerret posted:

You don't understand, Scorsese was overdue for an oscar, therefore the movie was good

eh, as a movie it was alright, but its true greatness was exposing to the world the ongoing widespread pandemic of prosopagnosia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Can I post the opposite of subtle?

No.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BiggerBoat posted:

Can I post the opposite of subtle?

The "Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments" thread is pretty much the opposite of this one
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631122

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just a reminder that page 1 has the ending of Inception on it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

You don't understand, Scorsese was overdue for an oscar, therefore the movie was good

I watched Departed and Infernal Affairs back to back and I still don't get how Scorsese got an Oscar for reshooting someone else's movie

(the answer is obviously because furrin movies don't fucken matter if you're the academy)

(also Infernal Affairs is by far the better name)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Len posted:

Just a reminder that page 1 has the ending of Inception on it

Thanks, I hate reading about Inception.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Phy posted:

I watched Departed and Infernal Affairs back to back and I still don't get how Scorsese got an Oscar for reshooting someone else's movie

(the answer is obviously because furrin movies don't fucken matter if you're the academy)

better movie too imho

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Am I right in thinking that it's pretty much the same plot as Hard Boiled, as well?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flint_Paper posted:

Am I right in thinking that it's pretty much the same plot as Hard Boiled, as well?

Ehhhh, Infernal Affairs/The Departed have gangsters infiltrating the police & vice versa, while Hard Boiled just have one cop going undercover with the gang.

Now I'm all sad that COVID-19 cancelled the local screening of The Killer with guest appearance by John Woo. :negative:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ehhhh, Infernal Affairs/The Departed have gangsters infiltrating the police & vice versa, while Hard Boiled just have one cop going undercover with the gang.

But it's the same actor as the undercover cop, so that's pretty cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you compare early episodes of the cooking show “chopped” to later episodes of the cooking show “chopped” you’ll notice the judges are much fatter and look much worse and unhealthier

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

oldpainless posted:

If you compare early episodes of the cooking show “chopped” to later episodes of the cooking show “chopped” you’ll notice the judges are much fatter and look much worse and unhealthier

The Chairman on Iron Chef had to go on a weight loss regimen because he was eating so much ridiculous food.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm p sure there are two kinds of food critics; fat drunks and skinny cokeheads.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ah, the two genders

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In season 3 of Master Chef the only black contestant at that point is sent home. On the very next episode they have a special guest, Paula Deen.

Edit: the next episode they bring him back.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 09:14 on May 17, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Push El Burrito posted:

In season 3 of Master Chef the only black contestant at that point is sent home. On the very next episode they have a special guest, Paula Deen.

Edit: the next episode they bring him back.

The edit makes it so much worse for them. Wow.

"Ok, she's gone, you can come back now."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Reminder that Paula Deen held a wedding at a former plantation and had all the black employees (which were all of the servers) act as slaves because "it was a historic era, after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War"

EDIT: In a deposition, answering the question "Have you ever used the N-word?" she said "Of course" and went on to complain that things have changed since the 60s and who knows what blacks want to be called now.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Reminder that Paula Deen held a wedding at a former plantation and had all the black employees (which were all of the servers) act as slaves because "it was a historic era, after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War"

EDIT: In a deposition, answering the question "Have you ever used the N-word?" she said "Of course" and went on to complain that things have changed since the 60s and who knows what blacks want to be called now.

Please tell me she used the word ‘uppity’ too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The host of Man versus Food had to quit because doing food challenges all over the country is surprisingly unhealthy.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Master Chef contestant didn’t want to be around Paula Deen and asked to skip it that episode. She’s racist af, but she’s had Black people on her show. It’s not like she won’t be around them. They just won’t appreciate how she treats them.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Phy posted:

They also made the plot dumber. As the other poster said, apparently the Academy determined it was the right time for his career achievement Oscar. I'm in the vast minority but I actually thought he deserved it more for The Aviator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sand Monster posted:

They also made the plot dumber. As the other poster said, apparently the Academy determined it was the right time for his career achievement Oscar. I'm in the vast minority but I actually thought he deserved it more for The Aviator.

He definitely deserved it more for Gangs of New York. I think it was mainly The Departed because they realised they'd been snubbing a GOAT candidate and he was pushing 70. The best example of that was always Henry Fonda, who was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy when he turned 75 and was in poor health. The next year he got his second acting nomination for On Golden Pond and won.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Academy has a history of loving up their awards for years because they gave someone a "we hosed you over in the past, here's an award because you're old now" Oscar they didn't really deserve. Biggest one is when they gave Pacino the Oscar for Scent of a Woman. Had they given it to Denzel, they avoid like an entire decade of questions about why he hadn't won an Oscar yet, which of course leads to yet another problem in 2001, when Denzel finally wins for Training Day but everyone realizes he didn't deserve that one nearly as much as he did for Malcom X or The Hurricane.

The Oscars are full of stuff like that, each year there's at least one person getting an award they probably don't deserve, as penance for being screwed out of an award years earlier.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

He definitely deserved it more for Gangs of New York. I think it was mainly The Departed because they realised they'd been snubbing a GOAT candidate and he was pushing 70. The best example of that was always Henry Fonda, who was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy when he turned 75 and was in poor health. The next year he got his second acting nomination for On Golden Pond and won.

Gangs of New York is a mess. For every two awesome scenes there's one dedicated to its terrible romantic subplot. Most of its appeal is DDL hamming it up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Aviator, on the other hand, is hella good but a smidge too long.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ah yes, the “hot fuzz” affliction

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The Academy has a history of loving up their awards for years because they gave someone a "we hosed you over in the past, here's an award because you're old now" Oscar they didn't really deserve. Biggest one is when they gave Pacino the Oscar for Scent of a Woman. Had they given it to Denzel, they avoid like an entire decade of questions about why he hadn't won an Oscar yet, which of course leads to yet another problem in 2001, when Denzel finally wins for Training Day but everyone realizes he didn't deserve that one nearly as much as he did for Malcom X or The Hurricane.

Isn't Denzel's win in 2001 also attributed to Russell Crowe being a gigantic prick (in the Academy's eyes) after he won the previous year?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

That's a movie I always forget is really long until the cloak scene.

Never upset by it, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sand Monster posted:

Isn't Denzel's win in 2001 also attributed to Russell Crowe being a gigantic prick (in the Academy's eyes) after he won the previous year?

I'm not sure, but the only other real contenders that year were Crowe(Beautiful Mind) and Will Smith(Ali). So it may have just been a year where they saw an opportunity to reward Denzel and it wasn't going to be controversial because they weren't snubbing someone else by doing it. None of the other nominees were like, transcendent performances or anything like that, and Crowe had just won the previous year.

A few years later though they gave the award to Sean Penn(also a nominee the year Denzel won), which was another one that felt at the time like a lifetime achievement award but then he comes right back five years later and wins for Milk, which was much more deserved. But because they felt the need to give it to Penn for Mystic River, Bill Murray will probably never win an Oscar. So the Academy gets themselves into trouble with this stuff every time, they should learn their lesson and stop worrying about the past when they give awards.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And when they give some long suffering actor or director their Oscar for a sub-par performance they stiff a different nominee who should have won, but will have to settle for a consolation prize 20 years later. And thus the cycle continues.

BRB, going to watch the Oscar winning movie City Slickers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

oldpainless posted:

Shut it!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

The host of Man versus Food had to quit because doing food challenges all over the country is surprisingly unhealthy.

Didn't he have to quit because he told some woman on twitter to kill herself or something lol.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hot fuzz is long but I’ll never complain about how long it is. That movie is delightful and one of the rare comedies that’s actually funnier the second time around when you know what’s going on.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

That's a movie I always forget is really long until the cloak scene.

Two hours is "really long". Kids these days smh

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Two hours is "really long". Kids these days smh

Ok firstly, it’s 121 minutes which isn’t just “2 hours” and nextly the story just feels stretched out like it could have taken around 15 minutes out of the runtime

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

Ok firstly, it’s 121 minutes which isn’t just “2 hours”

Is this joke from the movie or something, I’ve only seen it once.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Ok firstly, it’s 121 minutes which isn’t just “2 hours” and nextly the story just feels stretched out like it could have taken around 15 minutes out of the runtime

15 minutes you're not posting is a great use of time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

15 minutes you're not posting is a great use of time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hot Fuzz is a treasure. I kind of wish I never watched one of those YouTube videos on all the hidden stuff because up until then I'd find something new every time I watched it.

I haven't really watched The World's End much. Maybe that has a bunch of little things too.

Annabel Pee posted:

Didn't he have to quit because he told some woman on twitter to kill herself or something lol.

Yeah, looking that up it appears tell someone to slit their wrists will get your show canceled too, but if you gain 70lb over 5 years eating 64oz steaks you can say it's a mutual decision based on your health.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got around to continuing watching Breaking Bad, currently onto season 4 (I watched the first two seasons years ago then kind of stopped caring, just figured I'd pick back up this year) and I like the triple-meaning of the title of the season 4 episode Open House - there is the obvious meaning of Marie crashing open houses with a made-up story to steal random poo poo, a real-estate metaphor due to Skyler forcing the purchase of the Car Wash to go through, and Jesse throwing his house open to all manner of lowlives to throw an endless party to distract himself as an unhealthy coping mechanism. I thought that that was clever. Although I already miss Crystallography Nerd Hank :3:

Also Skylar is basically just like Walt when it comes to things that she cares about - she's willing to break rules to satisfy her pride, and she is as much of a perfectionist in their legal and financial cover story that she weaves as he is in cooking his meth, in that it's really unnecessary to be that perfect, but they both are obsessive about their parts due to their prideful natures.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:45 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Basebf555 posted:

The Oscars are full of stuff like that, each year there's at least one person getting an award they probably don't deserve, as penance for being screwed out of an award years earlier.

The other issue with that is that Al Pacino took the wrong lesson away from winning for Scent of a Woman. He didn't think "this is recognition for a lifetime of excellent, understated, intense performances", he thought "I should yell HOO AHH and chew scenery a lot more". Not saying he didn't do that before SoaW, but he sure did it a hell of a lot more afterwards.