Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Oh someone died? Alright let me just grab their corpse and carry it through the Ghost Tube. I sure do enjoy my commute through Actual Literal Hell

e: didn't realise there's a new page and this has been pointed out

Body Chute ala Waverly Hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LashLightning posted:

Presumably there was a period in time where it was discovered that bodies caused explosions and efforts were taken to avoid the damage they caused. I wouldn't be surprised if half or more of the breakdown of the US was caused by various hare-brained schemes by the Elon Musk's of the country.

"No, I assure you that this refitted carnival ride will launch the projectile accurately, I paid someone on the internet to do the maths, and if you disagree - you're a paedophile!"

Bad news everyone, we noticed corpses have to be delivered to the incinerator before they explode so we gave all the money in America to Jeff Bezos in the hope he'd fix it and now we can't afford to pay anyone and Jeff is not returning our calls so we're downsizing the executive branch to exactly three utter weirdos

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
One of whom might actually be Jeff Bezos because he talks funny and wears a mask and who knows? It could be anybody under there.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Overall an improvement, if I'm being honest.

Yeah thats pretty metal. Really.. enjoying? These videos. I find the times when characters arent talking good and enjoy the virtual hiking.

Looking forward to the next installment

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'm going to give a shout out to the band Low Roar, which is a band I've listened to for a while, back when...Pandora was still a thing, I suppose.

The choice of band and album is really interesting. Besides it being an atmospheric choice, the band leader started the band as a way of making money for his family, after he suggested they all move to Iceland. The songs so far come from his third album, which he wrote when he was going through a divorce with his ex-wife. The idea of picking songs from an entire album written about separation is an awesome choice, even if Kojima did or didn't know this. His earlier albums are terrifically ambient, in case anyone likes what they hear.

Anywho! I'm digging Walking Simulator 2019 so far :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If you bury your nose in your work, it's important to look up sometimes and check that the world around you is still there. There's a lot to love out there in the wide open world, but sometimes you have to go looking for it yourself.

(And for the record, oxytocin isn't used as an anti-depressant in the real world. Not yet anyway.)

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Really enjoying this so far. I think this game lends itself quite well for an LP, what with the heavy cinematic's and all. Keep up the good work man.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Yeah, it's really interesting!

2 things from early on:

I wonder what, if any, the significance is of Amelie briefly having a different blue outfit in the dream sequence.

And did Sam handcuff himself to the bed after the meeting?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hellyeah: Norman Reedus Shower Simulator 2019 is fully underway :woop:

Such a weird constant recurring mechanic, but it's very entertaining.

e: glad to hear it was just him and a mocap suit in front of a mirror, it really felt like that but I never knew for sure.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strand is also the German for beach. That meaning of the word sort of survives in English too.

Also jesus christ shotgunning 3 cans of monster energy doesn't give you stamina it gives you like, an aneurysm.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 17, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm loving this LP; thank you so much!

What were the other markers Sam passed up on his way to the waystation, the ones with the vaguely star-shaped blue icons? If you can tell us, that is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hirayuki posted:

I'm loving this LP; thank you so much!

What were the other markers Sam passed up on his way to the waystation, the ones with the vaguely star-shaped blue icons? If you can tell us, that is.

Assuming you mean these:

They're crystalized chiralium! They'll be explained in a few episodes' time, we can't interact with them for now. If we were to try and pick one up, Die Hardman would let us know we don't have any way to harvest them yet.

edit: Also, thanks!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 17, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yes, exactly those. Thanks for the explanation!

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I am convinced that no one involved in this project has any idea how the president of the united states works. You don't get to just appoint a new one guys! Its not for life either!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anfauglir posted:

I am convinced that no one involved in this project has any idea how the president of the united states works. You don't get to just appoint a new one guys! Its not for life either!

Let's wait a few months before making such broad statements

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Anfauglir posted:

They’re just following what Fallout already said about apocalyptic presidency.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anfauglir posted:

Well to be fair, with the chiral network all spotty and disconnected I don't think they're gonna get many write-in votes for the next election. Or any candidates!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anfauglir posted:

Tell that to FDR.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I, no joke, want a Die-Hardman mask. Something about it just clicks for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just don't think too hard about how it actually stays on his face. That thing's gotta be pressure sealed like a space helmet, otherwise those are some very strong suction cups.

edit:

(it is actually pressure sealed onto his face though)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
"Delivering every package" says CJacobs, having walked right next to and ignored a second extra large package minutes earlier. :crossarms: (tbf, it was apparently to be delivered to the place Sam had just come from.)

Neat LP so far; looking forward to more adventures in postal services.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 17, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Repatriation only work for voidouts, or is Sam immune to all forms of death?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yapping Eevee posted:

"Delivering every package" says CJacobs, having walked right next to and ignored a second extra large package minutes earlier. :crossarms: (tbf, it was apparently to be delivered to the place Sam had just come from.)

Neat LP so far; looking forward to more adventures in postal services.

We have to go back to Capital Knot to deliver all that lost cargo at some point, maybe we'll get it on the return trip ;)

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Repatriation only work for voidouts, or is Sam immune to all forms of death?

Dude straight up can't die for good at all. There are a myriad of terrible ways you can kill Sam in this game and he'll always find his way back to his body. With that said, if he gets munched on like Igor he'll still leave a void out crater, so that form of demise in particular is one to avoid at all costs.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 17, 2020

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
so the cutscenes in the early part of this episode don't give the best impression of the game's writing. die-hardman kind of spends the first one Explaining The Metaphor, and then the second dream sequence just is amelie outright Explaining The Metaphor. "Here's what we're using the term Strand to refer to and here's why it's meaningful that it's several characters' last names." Death Stranding's writing isn't bad. it's just that the dialogue sometimes has problems, and certain characters really show that more often than not. Amelie is one of them. conversely, every scene with mads mikkelsen in it i've seen so far has been fantastic. also, while the dialogue has problems, god drat does this game look gorgeous. every cutscene is at worst pretty nice looking.

something else positive; I really like this game's implementation of online functionality! it's a lot like dark souls's message system but taken to the logical extreme and without even the slightest whiff of PVP, so i imagine CJ also likes it quite a lot. the likes system is really good, the way that the dark souls messages you leave can give other players (but not you!) little benefits is really good, and as we see more of the system there's more stuff about it i like.

also while i don't mind the private room, boy howdy does norman reedus keep looking at me and winking and it freaks me the gently caress out every time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, there's the over explaining the metaphor problem, and a couple cases of as you know, which made me wince. There was one big one at the start of Nier Automata, and it made me wince pretty badly too. I really wish people learned to sidestep them, it doesn't take that much effort to make it a speech at an audience in universe rather than directly at the audience outside.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 17, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For a fun drinking game to enjoy while watching my let's play, take a shot every time Die Hardman says "Sam, this is Die Hardman" or "As you know, [explains the thing Sam already knows]". You will almost certainly die before the let's play is over

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

CJacobs posted:

For a fun drinking game to enjoy while watching my let's play, take a shot every time Die Hardman says "Sam, this is Die Hardman" or "As you know, [explains the thing Sam already knows]". You will almost certainly die before the let's play is over

I do love that everyone introduces themselves every time they talk to you, even if its a hologram chiralgram and you can see exactly who you're talking to. Die Hardman (current front-runner for dumbest name in a video game) does that once or twice this very episode!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anfauglir posted:

Die Hardman (current front-runner for dumbest name in a video game) does that once or twice this very episode!

Would you rank him higher than such luminaries as Hot Coldman?

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
yeah, no thanks, i've come to enjoy having a functional liver over the course of my life and would like to continue to do so.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Good Lord, 3 hours in and still in tutorial land?
Don't get me wrong, this is super interesting. And looks gorgeous to boot. But right now I'm feeling like Hideo is leading you by the hand and painstakingly explaining everything, thrice. Just let me get into it, I promise I can read a text!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I, no joke, want a Die-Hardman mask. Something about it just clicks for me.

For all the associated baggage death-masks get, it's a very pretty death mask.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
One of the things I do like about DS is the theme of "hands" comes up over and over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I did notice that he does that every time, even when he's standing in front of you. Like yes mate I know, there aren't any other brick shithouses in a period vest with a skull faceplate talking to me.

Regards the cargo you pick up around the place, do you have to go back to the specific object or depot you stored it at to pick it up, and is it normally to be delivered to a nearby location? Do you end up with lots of random bits of cargo scattered all over the place going random places or is it generally easy to get enough stuff at the same place with the same destination to make a delivery run worthwhile?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 17, 2020

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

OwlFancier posted:

Strand is also the German for beach. That meaning of the word sort of survives in English too.

Also jesus christ shotgunning 3 cans of monster energy doesn't give you stamina it gives you like, an aneurysm.

I think that's why he's kicking to try to keep from falling back after slamming each can down. Like he's fighting to stay conscious from the massive spike in blood pressure from all that taurine hitting his system.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

mortons stork posted:

Good Lord, 3 hours in and still in tutorial land?
Don't get me wrong, this is super interesting. And looks gorgeous to boot. But right now I'm feeling like Hideo is leading you by the hand and painstakingly explaining everything, thrice. Just let me get into it, I promise I can read a text!
The game will be rolling out lots of tutorials and you will Like it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sam, this is Plot Explainman. As you know,

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OwlFancier posted:

I did notice that he does that every time, even when he's standing in front of you. Like yes mate I know, there aren't any other brick shithouses in a period vest with a skull faceplate talking to me.

Regards the cargo you pick up around the place, do you have to go back to the specific object or depot you stored it at to pick it up, and is it normally to be delivered to a nearby location? Do you end up with lots of random bits of cargo scattered all over the place going random places or is it generally easy to get enough stuff at the same place with the same destination to make a delivery run worthwhile?

Well, as I mentioned near the end of the video, you can deliver lost cargo to any waystation (postboxes included) if you don't feel like carrying it all the way there. Your relationship stars won't improve, though, so it's always worth taking them the whole nine yards if you're gonna bother picking them up. Most of the time lost cargo is generally nearby the intended destination, sometimes it's like halfway across the game world in which case you will get tons of Likes for returning it. If you don't have room for it on your current wiggly box stack, you can store the lost cargo in the locker at a waystation and make a pit stop for it next time you're in the area.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sam, this is Plot Explainman. As you know,

One package of exposition delivered in fine condition!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Man, as it is, it only took a few people ringing in to talk to Sam for me to start responding with "What is it this time?" "Oh, for gently caress's sake." And I'm a passive viewer! I can't imagine how it would grind on the player. Or on Sam, my God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OOrochi posted:

I wonder what, if any, the significance is of Amelie briefly having a different blue outfit in the dream sequence.

I might be linked to how Sam was wearing the chiral necklace he just received in this video while on the beach in a cutscene back in the first video.

Time is literally falling from the sky like rain, so I'm guessing cause and effect might be a little fungible.