Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

drat I didn't know the results of Trump's dementia screening were leaked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Fox posted:

I can't even laugh at this anymore because I'm watching people in real time start to warm up to this line of thinking

absolute hellnation with gutless leadership

It's kind of like a twilight zone episode.

Some really capable people I used to think were smart have turned to either "The Virus has Been Defeated" or "If the Virus comes back then Shutdowns don't work and the cure can't be worse than the disease" arguments.

It's really bizarre. We owned ourselves with a halfassed shutdown that kneecapped our economy while solving nothing and are going to get hit 10x+ worse the second time around as people screech that shutdowns obviously didn't work and our economy gets double tapped. All while tens of millions of people hoot and cheer the whole way down to the bottom of the cliff because they've convinced themselves it's true freedom to fall on your own terms.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's kind of like a twilight zone episode.

Some really capable people I used to think were smart have turned to either "The Virus has Been Defeated" or "If the Virus comes back then Shutdowns don't work and the cure can't be worse than the disease" arguments.

It's really bizarre. We owned ourselves with a halfassed shutdown that kneecapped our economy while solving nothing and are going to get hit 10x+ worse the second time around as people screech that shutdowns obviously didn't work and our economy gets double tapped. All while tens of millions of people hoot and cheer the whole way down to the bottom of the cliff because they've convinced themselves it's true freedom to fall on your own terms.

What about "America is structurally incapable of response so just enjoy your life and never trust a vaccine again"

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahaha, so for the fun of it I decided to see if there was some way I could get a test, and the soonest I can get tested according to the state is next Tuesday in a town 3 hours away

sure hope i don't die in the next 9 days cool

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

lol, I made this post on March 14th

fknlo posted:

In other news, Aspen is a hotspot of virus havers and there have been a shitload of mexican registered aircraft in and out of the Aspen and Eagle airports all day dragging it back to to Mexico.

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to do the whole Andy Kaufmann thing, aren't I? I get to the miracle testing place and then it turns out that it's an abbott test that doesn't do anything, i start laughing, fade to me in the coffin

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Skypie posted:

she's now extra worried about going to work and i keep telling her to stay home if she isn't safe

we have some money saved but also i have a union tradeskill so make a good wage and we could survive a while on just my income

I would never tell someone to stay at home for their safety even though I want everyone to stay home for their safety because I don’t know what anyone’s financial position is or if they’re reliant on an unsafe job for health insurance or what your roni risk factors are or whatever but maybe do the math on if your wife’s job would cover the potential medical costs if one or both of you got sick from her job.

I’m WFH but if my boss told me I had to come back and I didn’t feel safe I wouldn’t come back because I don’t make enough in a week to even cover the cost of walking into an ER much less any complications that could arise if I got the roni. My husband is also WFH but if his boss said he had to come into the office it’s a whole other discussion because we’re financially dependent on his salary.

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zberan Madowinty posted:

hahaha, so for the fun of it I decided to see if there was some way I could get a test, and the soonest I can get tested according to the state is next Tuesday in a town 3 hours away

sure hope i don't die in the next 9 days cool

i should note that i had to fill out a 46 question survey first also, so if you tell them you don't have the right symptoms you don't even get this

Zberan Madowinty has issued a correction as of 18:29 on May 17, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

So what's the deal with Singapore? Back in March the line was that their World Class Public Health System was defeating the virus and they're up to 28000 cases now

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

sum posted:

So what's the deal with Singapore? Back in March the line was that their World Class Public Health System was defeating the virus and they're up to 28000 cases now

Its a global pandemic the likes of which we haven't seen in a century. Even the "good" countries that dramatically slow it down are gonna have hundreds of thousands of cases over the next two years.

Basically Singapore is doing as well as can be expected and still has 28k cases. So RIP USA.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sum posted:

Turns out bad stuff happens when your economy depends on having a huge population of migrant workers and you force them to live in ultra dense + super lovely conditions.

Vast vast majority of daily new cases in sg are in the dorms, not the "local community".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

A cashier at the store just now was wearing a mask but momentarily pulled it down so that she could cough into her hand :stare:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

slippery doc posted:

A cashier at the store just now was wearing a mask but momentarily pulled it down so that she could cough into her hand :stare:

I assume also didn't sanitize their hands afterwards

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Funion posted:

I think someone predicted a thread or two ago that the USA would do the worst possible thing in terms of the economy and death, by having ineffective lockdowns followed by opening up prematurely. Good thing that didn't happen.

:911:

I think a lot of us predicted that because the US is run by the dumbest man alive who's also an evil sack of poo poo.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Anime Store Adventure posted:

One of my friends’ fiancée is back from a military deployment overseas but has to be in another state in quarantine for three weeks.

So naturally instead of making an 8 hour drive, he’s going to get on a plane to gently caress. This is why horny needs to be prohibited, folks.

That and some friends invited me for dinner, insisting they had adequately quarantined. Except one was still semi regularly going to an office and oh also a relative was in town visiting so they just dropped in awhile (which they weren’t going to tell me but let slip.)

Even otherwise intelligent people think social distancing is a loving parents’ curfew - like if no one else finds out you broke it, nothing bad will happen. At this rate I’m not going to have a single friend I want to see in person until a full on vaccine because you literally cannot trust anyone’s word since they’ll lie to save face and do what they want despite the potential risk.

So the fiancee is in quarantine and your friend who isn't is flying over to gently caress? Granted, flying is a bigger risk than driving but shouldn't your friend stay put anyway because the fiancee is under quarantine and should not see anyone? Will the base even let him in? Will he also be in quarantine then? Being so horny you can't wait 14 days to make sure both stay healthy should be prohibited.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Facebook Aunt posted:

They have decided that letting 1% of the population die is better than letting 15% of the working population be temporarily unemployed. Of course they say it isn't that bad and it will be much less than 1%, but even if it was a guaranteed 2% of the population they'd go with let 'em die. Mostly elderly, sickly, or poor people dieing? Hell yeah, let 'em die. (They won't say this part out loud yet, but letting those people die may even improve the national finances.)

Once things open up they won't close again regardless of the numbers of deaths. Sacrificing a few hundred thousand citizens to Mammon for continued prosperity is a bargain they are willing to make. The government isn't going to protect anyone.

So that puts the ball in your court.
  • You can try to hold out in seclusion for a year while it rips through the population, hoping for herd immunity or better tested and proven treatments to be released.

• You can go back to work, do what you can with sanitizer and masks (and face shields?) to try to prevent yourself from getting it for as long as possible -- this has the advantage that you don't need to forage for nuts and berries to survive.

• You can throw up your hands, return to your normal lifestyle, and embrace the bloodshed -- accept that you will inevitably get the roni and just hope that you'll be in the majority of infected who don't have serious complications. Once you get it be one of those people who doesn't even bother to self-isolate. Embrace your destiny as a plague rat and breath on every boomer chud you see and hope to take them down with you.

I'm lucky, since I'm on disability I can try for seclusion without having to learn how to snare squirrels for protein. If you don't have a guarenteed income you'll have to work out the best plan with what you got.

Nah.

"Mild" cases are too harsh and long-lasting, even when they affect younger, healthy people. China pressed the panic button because they were afraid for their economy, not because they were so worried about people dying. We're just too stupid at this point to understand how much damage this is going to do when you have whole offices or stores burning through a virus that can knock someone on their rear end for 2-3 weeks or longer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Nah.

"Mild" cases are too harsh and long-lasting, even when they affect younger, healthy people. China pressed the panic button because they were afraid for their economy, not because they were so worried about people dying. We're just too stupid at this point to understand how much damage this is going to do when you have whole offices or stores burning through a virus that can knock someone on their rear end for 2-3 weeks or longer.

On top of that, China pressed the panic button and their economy is still suffering badly. https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3083823/coronavirus-china-prepared-handle-unemployment-crisis

quote:

A research report by brokerage firm Zhongtai Securities in late April put the real jobless rate at 20.5 per cent with 70 million unemployed, while Liu Chenjie, chief economist at fund manager Upright Asset, estimated at the end of March that the pandemic may have pushed 205 million Chinese workers into “frictional unemployment”.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

InsertPotPun posted:

*deep breath*
thurston howell iii was a terrible, terrible person but at least he was a good man. he was actually capable of love, compassion and on more than one occasion charity for charity's sake. he was able to work with others and was competent in both his very evil business practices and the more practical day to day island life.
while he was a spoiled, rich, entitled, evil rear end in a top hat but at least there was actually another side of him.
in other words he was better than trump in every single way.

:thermidor:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/1262044643799240706?s=19

Zisky
May 6, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

On top of that, China pressed the panic button and their economy is still suffering badly. https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3083823/coronavirus-china-prepared-handle-unemployment-crisis

It still boggles my mind that people looked at the second largest economy in the world kneecap itself and went LOL LOOK AT THOSE OVERREACTING AUTHORITARIANS.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

slippery doc posted:

i saw 3 separate employees wearing their masks under their chins, and a few more exposing their noses.

one of the guys wearing it under his chin was coughing while stocking shelves.

can't wait to die because people can't be loving bothered to be mildly inconvenienced.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

I agree. This on in the house planet galaxy is a of loving bullshit this...

PRISON
SUCKS
CAMEL
DICKS.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gonna drive the anti-vaxxers into a frenzy and do recruiting for them, awesome.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

A lovely vaccine could kill more people than like the absolute ceiling kill count of the virus

just the possibility of a poo poo vaccine will increase the percentage of the population that refuses to get it and will kill people even if the vaccine is good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mummy Xzibit posted:

It still boggles my mind that people looked at the second largest economy in the world kneecap itself and went LOL LOOK AT THOSE OVERREACTING AUTHORITARIANS.

It’s just racism, Americans are incapable of believing that the Chinese can do anything better.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bernie Panders posted:

I thought the line was

:fuckoff:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

just the possibility of a poo poo vaccine will increase the percentage of the population that refuses to get it and will kill people even if the vaccine is good.

hellworld scenario: an actual good vaccine is released but everyone's so suspicious of it that we can't vaccinate enough of the population to hit herd immunity

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Like, the entire narrative here is that the Chinese economy runs solely on stolen American intellectual property.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just feel the need to observe that if more chuds were anti vax, Trump would be trying to block development of vaccines.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, China cares about number even more than we do, they're just not dumb enough to think you can run your economy like normal during a loving pandemic.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mystes posted:

I just feel the need to observe that if more chuds were anti vax, Trump would be trying to block development of vaccines.

Mass producing a dangerously untested vaccine is worse.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Chuds and capitalists please eat poo poo and hang. This is becoming so much more painful than it ever needed to be. Approaching ten weeks in lockdown in the Seattle area and we could be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but noooooooooo

My husband is incredibly fit and healthy, but he has a genetic clotting disorder so now he's stuck isolating here at home for the next year and my 9yo son had a huge crying meltdown from the stress last night. Quarantine is still wildly preferable to the plague but apparently people cannot understand that.

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 19:15 on May 17, 2020

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Good news, everyone!
https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1262080649642590209

Zisky
May 6, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Mass producing a dangerously untested vaccine is worse.

In the meantime we still aren't directly mass producing and distributing effective PCR tests and N95s.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hopper posted:

So the fiancee is in quarantine and your friend who isn't is flying over to gently caress? Granted, flying is a bigger risk than driving but shouldn't your friend stay put anyway because the fiancee is under quarantine and should not see anyone? Will the base even let him in? Will he also be in quarantine then? Being so horny you can't wait 14 days to make sure both stay healthy should be prohibited.

I didn’t want to ask the logistics of why that’s okay or what her situation I was already basically “screaming” over text and having it fall on deaf ears. I think she’s off base, though.

In either case I’m furious because either he thinks he’s invincible or is literally too weak to hold out for a few weeks to not risk getting (and spreading!) the virus to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

yeah it took gen x to start home brewing and being like man my beer sucks but I’d like to try some made by someone who knows what they are doing

boomers want brands not actual flavor. they live entirely in their own minds