Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You know, the different types of dumps taken by aliens in Star Trek does deserve more discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RaySmuckles posted:

they make picard into a robot? that's interesting cuz he's already a clone

yeah picard's body was destroyed in some incident involving a transporter in a tng episode but some "energy" was found floating out in space that they thought might be his soul, so they had the teleporter recreate picard's corporeal form based on its last transport and then somehow zapped that "soul/energy" into it. seemed to work, so no one asked any questions about it

but its also very possible that the energy wasn't his soul and he's just a clone who was smart enough to play along with the questioning so that they didn't destroy him

That was the episode where Picard turned into a Sith Lord and used Force Lightning on the crew. Which means that JJ Abrams took the clone Sith Lord Picard idea and used that for Emperor Palpatine in episode 9

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You know, the different types of dumps taken by aliens in Star Trek does deserve more discussion.

Bolians canonically produce the biggest and nastiest toilet-defiling turds in the Federation

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I thought that was the conference room.

It's a corridor, the conference room is off it to the right. The corridor is ramped down and hooks back to the left down to deck 1B. In addition to the mentioned bathroom there are bathrooms and lounge there along with the bench of hapless redshirts who rush in to reoccupy consoles when they fry the previous redshirt but remain fully functional for some reason.

Depending on which blueprint and interpretation you subscribe to, of course.

You may now swirlie me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bolians canonically produce the biggest and nastiest toilet-defiling turds in the Federation

Normally I'd think this was a joke but I could honestly believe that somewhere in the canon, somebody described a Bolian ripping a horrifying deuce

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Klingons eat nothing but raw meat (much of it organ meat), worms and what appears to be hideous looking seafood, plus they drink constantly. The bathroom probably looks like a crime scene when they are done, although I am sure real warriors only poo poo outside and they have too much pride to cover it in dirt when they are done. That is how you know where a warrior has been.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Romulans have ceremonial weapons for poo poo breaks and are taught how to defend themselves from the toilet at a young age because of how easdy it is to assassinate someone in such a vulnerable position.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cardassians are only comfortable when they know they are on camera and they know the government is protecting them when taking a crap.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
at some point the starfleet bathroom design team gave up so it's just an empty room that transports your waste into space

this is why the transport station needs to be manned 24/7.

obrien is a bathroom attendant

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Normally I'd think this was a joke but I could honestly believe that somewhere in the canon, somebody described a Bolian ripping a horrifying deuce

It must be referenced somewhere because as soon as it was brought up, the phrase “Bolians drop legendary shits” sprang to mind, unbidden.

Maybe it was something with Rom when he was working sanitation on DS9?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The bathrooms are just the holodeck.

The computer doesn’t create toilets, but your immediate superior. Mouth open and ready to go.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

at some point the starfleet bathroom design team gave up so it's just an empty room that transports your waste into space

this is why the transport station needs to be manned 24/7.

obrien is a bathroom attendant

The discovery of warp travel being the determining factor for contacting alien civilizations is the great lie the Federation is founded on.

It is, in fact, the discovery of poo poo disintegration.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Klingons eat nothing but raw meat (much of it organ meat), worms and what appears to be hideous looking seafood, plus they drink constantly. The bathroom probably looks like a crime scene when they are done, although I am sure real warriors only poo poo outside and they have too much pride to cover it in dirt when they are done. That is how you know where a warrior has been.

That used to be the case but no longer, for they have discovered prune juice, a warrior's drink

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaukler posted:

It must be referenced somewhere because as soon as it was brought up, the phrase “Bolians drop legendary shits” sprang to mind, unbidden.

Maybe it was something with Rom when he was working sanitation on DS9?

I think it was a Voyager episode, some negative space inversion the ship ran into that week interfered with some systems and for some reason only one lavatory was working, someone mentioned a Bolian being the current occupant and Janeway was like ":stare: FIX THE drat SHIP"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah no, you're right; It's actually a rarely-seen door that's around the corner from that one to the left.

Yup, shown here at the bottom of the set plan.

If memory serves, they one showed someone walking into or out of it once, in seven years: Number One walking out onto the bridge, presumably after taking a Number Two.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
From the TNG Technical Manual there's a section that references Bolian waste products as being highly toxic and noxious to non-Bolians.

We can see this on Earth; aquatic creatures can eliminate excess nitrogen as ammonia because their surroundings quickly dilute ammonia to non-toxic levels, but terrestrial creatures have to convert their waste nitrogen to something less toxic like urea or uric acid before excretion.

In real life, an alien would be a walking toxic waste dump. Their flesh would be poisonous, they could exhale hazmat, and their waste products would be like swimming in a superfund site.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

do you think data sits on the toilet for no reason every day to emulate being human
sorry if this offends anyone i just thought it was a funny thing

another thing i am wondering is what smell he gets the computer to artificially produce haha im curious just for laughs i would like to smell it

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Powered Descent posted:

Yup, shown here at the bottom of the set plan.

If memory serves, they one showed someone walking into or out of it once, in seven years: Number One walking out onto the bridge, presumably after taking a Number Two.

slide-out bed????????????

did we ever see that being used?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why would Picard need to sleep in his office? Is he that far from a turbo lift?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tell miss troi im not here

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Also where is the ready room and what is the officer's lounge

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the ready room is the code word to go smoke a joint

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
What I'm saying is, don't engage in watersports with a Bolian.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

bolian piss is a great metal cleaner

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

McSpanky posted:

The discovery of warp travel being the determining factor for contacting alien civilizations is the great lie the Federation is founded on.

It is, in fact, the discovery of poo poo disintegration.

it wasn't cochran's warp signature the Vulcans detected that day, it was the celestial fragrance of his frozen poop in stable orbit

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it was fortunate he was a raging alcoholic, the fumes from that dump registered as far away as Qo'nos

truly, a warrior's stench

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

adjusting his pants, the rarely seen Reverse Picard Maneuver

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the episode where B'elanna suddenly decides tom is a mokbha, or "bad match" because he asks to participate in a race and she's like "sure it's no problem! have fun" then gets all mopey and like "oh how could i be with someone who enjoys fun" like god B'elanna quit being such a stuck up jerk all the time, christ

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

RaySmuckles posted:

they make picard into a robot? that's interesting cuz he's already a clone

yeah picard's body was destroyed in some incident involving a transporter in a tng episode but some "energy" was found floating out in space that they thought might be his soul, so they had the teleporter recreate picard's corporeal form based on its last transport and then somehow zapped that "soul/energy" into it. seemed to work, so no one asked any questions about it

but its also very possible that the energy wasn't his soul and he's just a clone who was smart enough to play along with the questioning so that they didn't destroy him

Isn't he also a time travel paradox duplicate from Time Squared? Future Picard came back in time and killed past Picard so that the loop couldn't be closed so, he's... I dunno, does that count as the same person?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Riker rips rear end in the bridge shitter and leaves the door open as a power move

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Danaru posted:

Riker rips rear end in the bridge shitter and leaves the door open as a power move

And you know he AC Slaters the toilet AND does it by swinging his leg clear over the tank

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Isn't he also a time travel paradox duplicate from Time Squared? Future Picard came back in time and killed past Picard so that the loop couldn't be closed so, he's... I dunno, does that count as the same person?

lmao, good example

just who really is this "jean luc picard?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So in order he was a clone made out of transporter static, from a different dimension, and now he's straight up a roboman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I say the bridge bathroom attendant has the worst job because they're probably a civilian like the Ten Forward waiters and they can actually hear all the frightening poo poo that happens on the bridge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Why would Picard need to sleep in his office? Is he that far from a turbo lift?

Pretty sure the idea is that if some ongoing crisis or other event was happening, he could duck into the ready room for a nap and be able to hop right back out to the bridge in the event something new cropped up.

This is obviously a pre-production drawing (I don't think the dimensions on the captain's office/ready room are right); the "captain's office" is what they came to call the "ready room", and the "officer's lounge" became the conference room.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

TOS had an officer's lounge, but as noted it functionally became the conference room before production probably because of the militarism. There is still an officer's lounge near the bridge in the Whitefire drawings.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is obviously a pre-production drawing (I don't think the dimensions on the captain's office/ready room are right)

Entirely possible, I literally just GIS'ed "Enterprise-D bridge set plan" and picked one that labeled the bathroom.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol this voyager episode on the dystopian computer run mining colony just gave up on alien makeup altogether for the miners, they’re just regular rear end people

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty sure the idea is that if some ongoing crisis or other event was happening, he could duck into the ready room for a nap and be able to hop right back out to the bridge in the event something new cropped up.

Precisely, that's right from modern warship design where the captain has a ready room (called a sea cabin IRL) adjacent to the bridge with a basic office space, bed and toilet available if he expects to be needed directly.

One time in WWII a ship in the Pacific was attacked and the captain, who liked sleeping in the nude, rushed directly from bed in his sea cabin to the bridge buck-rear end naked to issue orders, then went back in to get dressed. History remembers this as the Riker Maneuver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wikipedia posted:

In 2015, SyFy ranked the departure of Neelix in this episode as one of the top ten best moments of Star:Trek Voyager