Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is pretty good guys and I love the sound effects/music. Try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thanks to everyone who posted about what they enjoyed in TOME!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decided to gently caress around in freeware adom and a dwarven paladin I rolled managed to stumble over Whirlwind in the unassuming cave good god.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So Zorbus is hard. I'm getting my poo poo wrecked at level 2.

Here is a video of the dev remaking Zorbus into a Star Wars themed roguelike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5di9ehQTLg

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao nevermind I went into a random dungeon and got loving splatted by a chaos mutant. :thumbsup:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Stuntman posted:

TOMEnet is a decently active multiplayer port of an early ASCII version of TOME and handles doing turn-based in real time very well.

fair warning that tomenet is based on tome2 and thus has a tendency to be insanely user unfriendly. also there's no god drat visible monster subwindow in a realtime roguelike, which is really annoying!!!! especially when there's ego monsters who get stupid powers sometimes. it was really fun to mess around in for a month or so though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Zorbus is good a cool and IMO incredibly polished for a free game like these, but I feels like it has followed the Stone Soup path to much in that with every update it become less and less fun as it chases perfect balance and ladder boards statistics.

So I dunno, I like games where you can end up becoming a walking unstoppable God of destruction with big numbers going off, who cares about balance when things are fun instead.

BTW, add the "sonyvanda tileset", the best tileset.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm subscribed to the Shrapnel Games newsletter because I used to play a lot of Steel Panthers MBT/WW2 and they just sent out a notice about Approaching Infinity:

quote:

Our Final Days of Approaching Infinity!

Shrapnel Games to Discontinue Approaching Infinity

Hey, Approaching Infinity players, at the end of May, 2020 we will discontinue selling Approaching Infinity. We recommend those with downloads make sure they have archived the game. All players should archive the newest patch which does away with the registration process for the game.

Developer Ibology wants all those who supported Approaching Infinity to know that they appreciate your support.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm subscribed to the Shrapnel Games newsletter because I used to play a lot of Steel Panthers MBT/WW2 and they just sent out a notice about Approaching Infinity:

I haven't followed this one at all, does that mean the game can come to Steam at some point?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I haven't followed this one at all, does that mean the game can come to Steam at some point?

I figure there's a better chance of it now than there used to be, at least. The dev hasn't posted anything on his blog/itch.io or twitter since 2018 though.
https://ibol17.itch.io/

I'm guessing either Shrapnel decided to cut their losses on trying to sell a roguelike for $40 and burned all the physical copies they were sitting on in a pit, or the dev managed to work something out with them to relinquish control of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Im_Special posted:

So I dunno, I like games where you can end up becoming a walking unstoppable God of destruction with big numbers going off, who cares about balance when things are fun instead.
it's not really as if balance and fun are mutually exclusive and also I have no idea what changes to zorbus you're talking about, unless you are unhappy that they are making literally any balance changes at all

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm incredibly bad at Crawl but have miles of fun every time I play it. I follow it loosely so re: the polish and balance talk, I've noticed that slightly over the years and there were some things removed that I miss, but mostly I haven't noticed. Again, I'm bad, which is probably why.

Zorbus looks good and fun, the thing I definitely like is a game with massive depth and variation where you can become a maniac. I wish there were either better tilesets for the more popular roguelikes (Nethack comes to mind) or better, I could get over my debilitating inability to enjoy something in ascii

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Monster Train, judging by the demo, is going to be really, really good.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Memnaelar posted:

Monster Train, judging by the demo, is going to be really, really good.

i think its going to be good but one thing i dont like is how all the bosses basically look and act the same. bigger guy with wings flying outside the train jumping from floor to floor. ive been watching someone play the full version a lot and i cant tell you which boss is which.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i think its going to be good but one thing i dont like is how all the bosses basically look and act the same. bigger guy with wings flying outside the train jumping from floor to floor. ive been watching someone play the full version a lot and i cant tell you which boss is which.

Yea, they have completely different attacks but the visuals have them feeling almost identical. I get they want the angel aesthetic but it's weird how good the rest of the game is visually and how samey the bosses are. I do hope the devs are able to continue development long after release, as the core game is extremely good and fun but there's less variety than something like Slay the Spire right now.

Still picking it up day 1 though, demo was a lot of fun so I'm sure I'll get at least 20-30 hours out of this even if it doesn't get more content, and likely a lot more.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

btw if anyone wanted to play the demo it seems to have been taken off the store but you can still download it here https://steamdb.info/app/1310440/

lots of balance changes from the demo to the full version already

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cinara posted:

Yea, they have completely different attacks but the visuals have them feeling almost identical. I get they want the angel aesthetic but it's weird how good the rest of the game is visually and how samey the bosses are. I do hope the devs are able to continue development long after release, as the core game is extremely good and fun but there's less variety than something like Slay the Spire right now.

Still picking it up day 1 though, demo was a lot of fun so I'm sure I'll get at least 20-30 hours out of this even if it doesn't get more content, and likely a lot more.

I actually got the sense it *may* have a little more variety than StS in terms of options, at least once you get out of the demo into the full five factions. I guess we'll see. I think it's interesting because you have a lot more flexibility to create "degenerate" combos in terms of duplicating upgraded cards and having many more opportunities to trash your deck than StS allows. I'm not sure if it's *great* or not; I made a pretty good deck and then got CREAMED by the last boss last night but I think there's a lot of potential there and I'm willing to support it at its price. I suspect it's going to do fine.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Monster Train already grabbed me way more than legend of the keeper. The unit upgrade system alone seems like it could enable some crazy bullshit.

Hopefully modding is easy because I can see dumb mods adding a ton of life to the game ala StS

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i appreciate that TOME has added a configurable damage warning so you don't accidentally click twice into something that's tearing your face off and die but what I feel like the game really needs is some kind of warning for when something has turned your sustains off

It doesn't happen very often but it's a huge deal when it does and there is absolutely no indication that it has happened other than the ability icon(which I have usually shunted off to the side because 99% of the time it's just something that I never have to click on or pay attention to) going on cooldown, and failing to notice that generally results in me dying immediately because my character is suddenly incredibly weak. I genuinely think that a huge splash "OH gently caress, YOUR SUSTAINS" warning with accompanying siren wouldn't be overkill for it given its rarity and how much it kills me.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

cock hero flux posted:

OH gently caress, YOUR SUSTAINS

In my experience it usually just comes down to identifying which classes/moves remove sustains and getting in the habit of checking when fighting against that. Brawler enemies are probably the most common for that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I'd like that option too. It happens rarely enough that it takes awhile to start identifying whats doing it to you. I can only think of the dreadfall ghosts and the boss of the nur dungeon where I'm actually prepared for it to happen.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I'd like that option too. It happens rarely enough that it takes awhile to start identifying whats doing it to you. I can only think of the dreadfall ghosts and the boss of the nur dungeon where I'm actually prepared for it to happen.

i'm vaguely aware of the enemy types that always do it but like, every 5 or 6 games I have the Weirdling Beast or some other fixed boss that normally doesn't do it turn off all my sustains out of nowhere and I just die.

I've gotten into the habit of setting all my sustains to auto-use out of combat so that I don't randomly kill myself because I ran into a particularly dexterous tree that Combination Kicked all my sustains off without me noticing and then continued exploring until I got to a boss and got my head caved in, but I still tend to die any time I run into something that can break my sustains and also is dangerous enough to kill me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrManiac posted:

Monster Train already grabbed me way more than legend of the keeper. The unit upgrade system alone seems like it could enable some crazy bullshit.

Hopefully modding is easy because I can see dumb mods adding a ton of life to the game ala StS

I've seen streamers who have the full game. There's zero variation in content apart from the end boss having several different special abilities and the game balance is laughable in its complete absence. There's at least one event that may as well just say "you instantly win the game" if you get it, there's easily assembled one-card combos with ridiculous power, and the designers copied Snecko Eye but decided that the most powerful relic in STS was not in fact good enough so they buffed it.

In short: Monster Train is an extremely well polished turd.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Voxx posted:

In my experience it usually just comes down to identifying which classes/moves remove sustains and getting in the habit of checking when fighting against that. Brawler enemies are probably the most common for that.

Or any source of Silence, if your sustains are magical -- ghosts are the big offender here, and it's why Dreadfell is generally the hardest dungeon in the game for certain caster classes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Demon modestly updated of late to become, as per usual, MoreBetterGood: https://ferretdev.itch.io/demon

quote:

5/17/2020 Update Highlights
A new start up menu has been added, allowing you to change option settings or view the Codex Daemonium without having to enter the main game first.
Several other smaller UI updates, including damage and healing numbers in the message log (can be disabled via an option), remaining durations shown on enchantment icons, and more.
Also includes a few other tweaks and bug fixes.

This build was pretty much entirely about UI upgrades, with a couple of bug fixes as well. Included are durations on enchantment icons, damage and healing values show in message logs, a new startup menu, and some other smaller improvements.

The next build will add floors 27-29 to the Tower: that means new demons and new abilities. :D Until next time, good luck in the Tower!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jedit posted:

I've seen streamers who have the full game. There's zero variation in content apart from the end boss having several different special abilities and the game balance is laughable in its complete absence. There's at least one event that may as well just say "you instantly win the game" if you get it, there's easily assembled one-card combos with ridiculous power, and the designers copied Snecko Eye but decided that the most powerful relic in STS was not in fact good enough so they buffed it.

In short: Monster Train is an extremely well polished turd.

ive seen up to ascension 10 (out of 25) so far and it seems like there are definitely more options and opportunities to completely break the game compared to slay. some mechanics like damage shield and spell weakness are kind of absurd when you stack them up. i imagine at some point in the next 15 ascensions the difficulty will actually catch up to the bullshit you can do.

also ive been watching people who are pretty good at slay and other deckbuilders. im still not that good so i will probably get some more challenge out of it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When's more roguelikes coming to switch dagnabit?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

i'm vaguely aware of the enemy types that always do it but like, every 5 or 6 games I have the Weirdling Beast or some other fixed boss that normally doesn't do it turn off all my sustains out of nowhere and I just die.

I don't have Tome installed at the moment but I remember approaching this problem by making my skill shortcut bar fairly big and the skill icon size fairly small, then displaying cooldowns as numbers. That would give me the space to have all my sustains in one group on the right of the bar - and if something turned them off, they all got a nice big obvious number on them rather than the gradual cooldown indicator that I think is much harder to see.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

post launch monster train update: game is fun

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah I’m loving it. A lot deeper than I gave it credit for.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I wouldn't call it... deep, but it's very satisfying. Definitely feels easier and more broken than StS, but I don't mind how degenerate it invites you to be. Higher covenant ratings will definitely be a challenge and I *also* don't mind having a different feeling than what I get after an hour run in StS only to have the Heart absolutely flatten me.

It's fun - not as smart or tight as StS but I'm not asking it to be.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think covenant 1 adding random stuff to your starting deck is really fun and interesting. sure you can just beeline for removes and waste a bunch of resources getting them out but trying to build around new cards and combos each run is cool.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hell train game is fun, balance is a little wack but it feels like an actual game of its kind rather than many of the soup-y lightweight StS likes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The MP needs some tinkering though. The timer is way too short and should not count down during attack resolutions. My friend and I did a match against eachother and we both timed out on Daedalus lol.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you are just playing with friends you can do a custom match without the timer

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
wrong thread zlmao

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 23, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I thought Legend of Keeper was awful. It felt like it wanted to be Dungeon Maker really really badly but didn't have nearly enough content to actually bother really investing yourself into trying to make combos or caring really hard about synergy. Dungeon Maker you have like fifteen trap room slots and a hundred different kinds of traps and a hundred monsters so you can really get some tryhard builds going. Legend of Keeper felt like it had three builds you could pick between if you wanted synergy, but you could also just pick good units instead of going with lesser units who fit your ice theme because your choices were so limited that the synergy barely existed in the first place.

Cool to hear Monster Train is good, I'll probably check it out

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175360/I_Dracula_Genesis/

This game is now out in Early Access. Anyone have played it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone tell me what multiplayer options Monster Train has?
I'm mostly interested in the game from the perspective of being able to play Slay the Spire-like together with a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone tell me what multiplayer options Monster Train has?
I'm mostly interested in the game from the perspective of being able to play Slay the Spire-like together with a friend.

basically you each play the same seed at the same time and your scores are compared at the end. thats pretty much it. you can have it be in rush mode with a timer or not, add modifiers set ascension level, etc.

you can also generate a seed from any run you do and share it with friends and it will have a leaderboard i think.