Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Sakurazuka posted:

There are virtually no references to any of the Yakuza games in Judgment

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Correction: there's one direct reference to Y6, but it's in a sidequest and played for laughs.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, Judgement takes place in Kamurocho where the main local yakuza clan is the Tojo, otherwise there’s zero references except one optional sidequest featuring a tertiary character from 6 and oblique reference to Kiryu, but if you’ve not played 6 you might not even realize it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I think a couple of items reference "a legend of Kamurocho" or something like that in their flavour text.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There’s also a reference to an event from late in Y6 but for the most part, Judgment is a totally separate story from the main series.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxr8U23A9mw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm finally playing Judgment now too and holy balls it rips rear end. The fighting feels way better than usual, the detective work is fun, hell I even kinda like the tailing missions

And I'm glad I gave the English track a chance because it's insanely good. I played in Japanese for chapter 1 and then switched and my Japanese isn't great but I think the English one just straight up is better, like a Cowboy Bebop situation. English Tak is def better than Japanese Tak, though his yakuza bro whose name I forget is slightly better in Japanese

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I beat the electronics king at outrun :shepface:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

precision posted:

hell I even kinda like the tailing missions

This will change.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pennfalath posted:

This will change.

Oh lord will it ever

One of two serious blackspots in an otherwise pretty fantastic experience

(The other is gating the final pass for the stupid VR game behind the final, totally impossible unless you have pixel perfect reflexes drone racing challenge)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So they really just made Kiryu better at throwing guys out of the gate than the kid whose entire gimmick is throws and dodgetanking, huh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i don’t think i’ve ever enjoyed a tailing mission, especially because in my experience they usually come up in games like gta where it’s like “you like driving fast and running around going crazy? ok for the next 5–7 minutes you are NOT allowed to do any of that”

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I eventually really ended up liking Saejima (he's friend to the homeless and he rescues cats!) but my god is he just awful at the beginning of Y4.

That Haruka scene is SUPER gross and I feel like the "oh she looks like his sister" only got added after the fact because someone realized what it looked like. Especially because Kiryu is eventually like "yeah I saw that, and that's how I knew you'd been in prison. You looked at her like someone who hasn't seen a woman in a lifetime." And like...ew.

Saejima ends up a joy to play as, but ooh is it terrible

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yakuza gets weird about women sometimes, it’s just something I’ve learned to tolerate, but it is at least believable enough to take that scene at its “intended” value given the absurd hoops they jump through to write Saejima not killing eighteen people, “only” knocking them out with experimental rubber bullets so someone else could ACTUALLY kill them. like gently caress, in that context I can readily believe that this guy who regards the taking of eighteen lives as an unpardonable sin that he has nightmares about every day isn’t a pedo but that that fact was poorly conveyed.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

0: gently caress the catfight arena's cheating turbo button mash bullshit self healing, come back from the dead and beat me on the victory screen cheating bastard bastard bastard AI

gently caress it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheeeaaaatttttttt

there's no benefit to be gained from doing that garbage minigame legitimately

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

How?, the ai can button mash faster than autohotkey

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a trainer which includes a catfight cheat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The whole thing is RNG anyway I don't think button pressing was ever confirmed to do anything in the first place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, as far as i could find there is not a similar cheat for mesuking.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but mesuking also actually works as a game that you can influence by playing it instead of just being a series of RNG cutscenes so the cheating isn't required.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Mesuking also isn't actually rng, every npc enemy has a tell for what kind of move they'll do next.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I just finished the story of Kiwami 2, about 30 hours and 55%ish completion. My third Yakuza game after 0 and Kiwami.

Various opinions, possibly bad ones:

- I've heard YK2 being touted as the best in series along with 0 but I don't think it's as good as 0. Maybe 0 gets extra credit from me for being the first I played but there just seems to be more to 0 and the story in 0 was gripping, whereas there was no point in K2 when I just had to know what happened next.

- The change to the Dragon engine is great, the world looks so much better and booting someone literally halfway down the street is so satisfying. Going back to 0 was a bit of a shock. On the other hand, I miss some of the wilder heat moves you could do with items from 0 and K1, with the possible exception of the pole heat move, Kiryu will most just hit enemies in the face with weapons. What happened to pouring salt into dudes' eyes or making them drink mysterious liquid?

- Side stories are just amazing, as always, the loving adult baby one, just incredible

- It seems like whenever guns are introduced, Yakuza gets eye-rollingly tropey. Guns are really, really good at killing and incapacitating people, but almost every loving character, even when they've been shot 4 or 5 times in the chest, has enough left in them to do one plot-critical thing and it's aggressively dumb. I know it's a classic action movie trope and Yakuza isn't super-serious but it's very, very overused.

- Also seen again, when it was very bad in the double-Kazuki scene, is a case of Takashima, a man shown to give no fucks about killing, holding a gun to Sayama's head and going "this is where you die! No, really, I'm going to shoot you now! I'm pulling the trigger and I am about to shoot y...OH NO I'VE BEEN SHOT!". Like with someone who's been shot not being dead, it works if used sparingly but it just gets silly. Being knocked out in the Yakuza-verse is likely to put you down for longer than a bullet in the heart. Ryuji has his faults but he at least made sure Takashima and Sengoku were properly dead. No wonder he ended up being such a big player.

- The main story was OK, Ryuji was convincing as a villain and the Jingweon were good as an outside threat without having to go "oh, but there's another secret Yakuza faction full of extremely bad dudes" like in previous games. I just don't think there was a storyline as compelling for me as finding out about Nishiki's transformation in K1 or basically anything in 0. It finished strongly apart from a stumbling 15 minutes I went through above. I bought Ryugi as a final boss because he's canonically extremely tough, whereas in 0 there's no reason for Shibusawa the schemer to be tougher than Kuze and Awano other than 'this is a videogame and he's the final boss'. I can't quite take to Sayama for some reason but I loved Kawara, I was getting strong Sagawa vibes from him even though he ended up not being a terrible person.

- I want Yakuza 0-2 with more Kazama, Shimano and Dojima being bad dudes, it's probably because 0 was written long after 1 and 2 but it seems like such a shame that Kazama and Shimano died at the end of 1 after (well, before, I guess) being built up so well in 0.

- Side stuff is fine, dice games, Mahjong, poker etc is all there, really don't think I'll have the patience to get the completion points on those. The golf was a welcome surprise, had some fun getting the sidequest done on that one. Darts is merciless and I can't beat the medium AI opponent. I can't get the hang of Toylets at all, either.

- The Cabaret Club Grand Prix has its own tab in the completion list so it's quite disappointing to see that it's the same game as Majima's cabaret club in 0, down to Kiryu having the same animations. Cabaret Club in 0 had already worn very thin by the time I beat Club Moon so gently caress doing God knows how many rounds to do essentially the same thing but it's a league this time. Majima Construction seems fine, I guess.

Anyway, game is good, I'm going to do some things in Kamoroucho with Haruka and see if there's anything else I can turn up, seeing as there are some 20 side quests I've not even started.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gritting my teeth extremely hard to say that you are... entitled to... your opinions...

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Using heat moves to hit you with a bike for preferring Majima Construction over Cabaret

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'd prefer Cabaret ten times over if I hadn't already done it to death in 0.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I played cabaret in 0 to death and still loved it in K2. If they stuck just that mode onto phones I'd play it endlessly there too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wait for it...

https://twitter.com/EmeraldDemond/status/1262095584179023872?s=09

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
just finished kiwami 1 after polishing off 0, despite looking at a bunch of online content around yakuza i never really got spoiled on any story beats and gently caress me

with all the fleshing out and table setting of relationships in 0 i just kind of assumed reina and nishiki were series mainstays so gently caress me running i was suprised by all of that, shinji to a lesser extent and same for kazama

they did an excellent job in 0 letting you get to know these characters and interact with them. effective fleshing out for series veterans and quite good at subverting your expectations of what will happen with them for newcomers

tho i really think they should have took the dog with them

onto kiwami 2 after i polish off mesuking

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kiwami 2 is a real treat, rightly regarded as one of the series best. Just don’t let the shiny new engine turn you off of the remasters, they’re worth playing too!

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
oh i have all those lined up for after kiwami 2! plenty of time for diving into the series right now

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kouerson posted:

just finished kiwami 1 after polishing off 0, despite looking at a bunch of online content around yakuza i never really got spoiled on any story beats and gently caress me

with all the fleshing out and table setting of relationships in 0 i just kind of assumed reina and nishiki were series mainstays so gently caress me running i was suprised by all of that, shinji to a lesser extent and same for kazama

they did an excellent job in 0 letting you get to know these characters and interact with them. effective fleshing out for series veterans and quite good at subverting your expectations of what will happen with them for newcomers

tho i really think they should have took the dog with them

onto kiwami 2 after i polish off mesuking

This was my experience too, like I think I was spoiled on Nishki’s heel turn but not the massive, massive bloodbath that Kiwami 1 ends up being, including Niskhkiyama himself dying, I just figured he’d go to jail or some poo poo.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Finally finished Judgment just now and I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite Yakuza-team games.

Judgment might've had its plot-doldrums in the middle chapters but overall it was nearly the perfect Yakuza game that could be without Kiryu or Majima being in it. It was the Witcher 3 of Yakuza games in my estimation and I'm sorry I didn't play it at launch but the sting of how bad Fist was led me astray. When's Judgment 2?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Merrill Grinch posted:

Finally finished Judgment just now and I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite Yakuza-team games.

Judgment might've had its plot-doldrums in the middle chapters but overall it was nearly the perfect Yakuza game that could be without Kiryu or Majima being in it. It was the Witcher 3 of Yakuza games in my estimation and I'm sorry I didn't play it at launch but the sting of how bad Fist was led me astray. When's Judgment 2?

If When there is, I want a side job to track down and return a mischievous runaway cat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Judgment is absolutely in the 0/Kiwami 2 tier of games and I’ve said as much since its release. Game is good.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
*Tak’s post mission nod and smile*

(someone emoji that by the way)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
YOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Judgment has my favorite story by a mile but i prefer Yakuza game's side content because Kiryu is a funnier character than Tak.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m genuinely curious who sat down and thought it would be good game design to have the Bomb for Saejima’s last master be stolen if you fail the training. Like goddamn, that’s just a super gently caress you for no reason. Yakuza, you make it really hard to love you sometimes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Judgment is absolutely in the 0/Kiwami 2 tier of games and I’ve said as much since its release. Game is good.

The combat is easily the best in the whole series