Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Put Joey Ryan and Jim Cornette in a pit together and leave them there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the dick flip move is sexual assault? If it was wouldn't it be sexual assault on Joey? I guess it could be a metaphorical sexual assault of the power of having a dick and the patriarchy or something but I don't feel like Joey thinks that much? I'm confused.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I guess it depends on whether he's making the opponent touch his dick or the opponent is attacking his dick on their own and he's fighting back, which I would assume varies by instance of the spot

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It doesn’t matter because the spot only works once. And joeys a fuckin dweeb.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If someone was like "The only way you're booked tonight is in a match where you'll be grabbing this guy's dick" I'd realize it was all a waste because I'm not even actually meeting Randy Orton

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Joey is fine

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It may not be as overt but Reddit has to have the most racists per capita on the internet. Sqaured Circle cannot discuss a black wrestler without condescending. So many times there black adults are referred to as "acting like children". Not to mention the constant "I'll say racist poo poo but it's ok because i'm impersonating Vince McMahon" bits they do. I really hate reddit people in general, just that smarmy, white, dude who works in low level IT that thinks they know everything, in their 30s but engaging in nothing but children's entertainment, that constant sense of entitlement people at that site have. I've been a wrestling fan on the internet since like 1998, I have never seen a more annoying community than squared circle.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think the dick flip move is sexual assault? If it was wouldn't it be sexual assault on Joey? I guess it could be a metaphorical sexual assault of the power of having a dick and the patriarchy or something but I don't feel like Joey thinks that much? I'm confused.

You don't find anything at all weird about a man or woman being forced to touch his dick while the crowd chants "touch his dick?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

It may not be as overt but Reddit has to have the most racists per capita on the internet. Sqaured Circle cannot discuss a black wrestler without condescending. So many times there black adults are referred to as "acting like children". Not to mention the constant "I'll say racist poo poo but it's ok because i'm impersonating Vince McMahon" bits they do. I really hate reddit people in general, just that smarmy, white, dude who works in low level IT that thinks they know everything, in their 30s but engaging in nothing but children's entertainment, that constant sense of entitlement people at that site have. I've been a wrestling fan on the internet since like 1998, I have never seen a more annoying community than squared circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eat my fuc is right

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Benne posted:

You don't find anything at all weird about a man or woman being forced to touch his dick while the crowd chants "touch his dick?"

I mean, there's definitely something "weird" about it but I dunno. Like that seems like its verging into the idea that he's "the patriarchy" and the crowd is society pushing people to do something they don't want to do. And I just don't think Joey Ryan is really that deep. And most cases I've seen the opponent is in the heel role grabbing Joey's dick as a cheap move or to prove they're stronger. Mostly I think Joey is just an idiot who wanted to "Hulk Up" with his dick.

Like the bronco buster is sexual assault. The stinkface is... well assault of some kind if not sexual. That popular clip where Jushin Liger stuck his finger in someone's butt and then 8 other people followed suit seems like sexual assault. Austin Aries driving his crotch into Christy Hemme's face is sexual assault. If Joey was driving his crotch into people then yeah, ok, and maybe there's variations of that I haven't seen. But mostly the move's "logic" seems to be that his opponent is the heel trying to get a cheap advantage and his dick turns the tables.

But like... I'm open to hearing that I'm just missing it. I'm legitimately unsure and never even considered that until now and wondering if that's on me or not.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I saw MassRafTer at a Bounce U in Brooklyn recently and all he did was scream racial slurs while trying to suspend himself from a series of scarves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hosed up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Did Ryan also have a move where he'd suplex a woman wrestler by grabbing her breasts?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is a really weird way to go when my point was pretty much "Why do people act like Joey has never done anything ever?" like, he sucks in a lot of ways but was also a founder of PWG. You can not like him, I stopped being much of a fan a few years ago, but he's always going to have an important place in wrestling history.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ive never been on reddit but I couldn't imagine anything worse than the gamefaqs forums I started out on as a kid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

Did Ryan also have a move where he'd suplex a woman wrestler by grabbing her breasts?

I think that was Candice LeRae's counter/complementary move? Or he might have done that to her or Laura James? I'm not sure.

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a really weird way to go when my point was pretty much "Why do people act like Joey has never done anything ever?" like, he sucks in a lot of ways but was also a founder of PWG. You can not like him, I stopped being much of a fan a few years ago, but he's always going to have an important place in wrestling history.

Joey's kind of got the misfortune of still being the last of the PWG founders still active. Bosh and Lost are who knows where. Disco Machine is long gone. Dragon is like an urban legend. Excalibur is a beloved announcer. Joey Ryan's still plugging along successfully giving tons of stuff for people to get mad or annoyed by and forget what he did 20 years ago.

I do agree Joey is probably one of the more impactful and historically significant wrestlers of his generation in the same way Colt Cabana or Christopher Daniels are. But I think those are two other guys who have hung around long enough for some people to get annoyed by (Colt) or see them get old (CD).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 17, 2020

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

No the boobplex was someone else maybe Candice. It would suck being booked against Joey and not wanting to touch his dick like what would you do?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SquaredCircle is loving garbage. They're a very particular brand of Vincel that i think is leagues worse than the typical barely literate Twitter ghoul in Dave's mentions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think that was Candice LeRae's counter/complementary move? Or he might have done that to her or Laura James? I'm not sure.

Joey's kind of got the misfortune of still being the last of the PWG founders still active. Bosh and Lost are who knows where. Disco Machine is long gone. Dragon is like an urban legend. Excalibur is a beloved announcer. Joey Ryan's still plugging along successfully giving tons of stuff for people to get mad or annoyed by and forget what he did 20 years ago.

I do agree Joey is probably one of the more impactful and historically significant wrestlers of his generation in the same way Colt Cabana or Christopher Daniels are. But I think those are two other guys who have hung around long enough for some people to get annoyed by (Colt) or see them get old (CD).

Yeah, and that makes sense. I absolutely understand why people don't like him, he's a skeevy dude who constantly slides back and forth across that line of "sex positive" and "weird creep". There is just a lot of space between the Jim Cornette fan acting like Joey has never done anything ever and the actual reality. I also don't think a Cornette fan takes offense at Joey being a creep. Especially when Joey is defending Becky and telling Jim to pound sand.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 17, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Joey Ryan and Sienna talk about consent during a match: https://youtu.be/HpgQ3NYAFQI

I’ve never heard any of the women who have worked with him say anything negative about him, and that includes women like Ivelisse and Taya who aren’t shy about speaking their minds. He also frequently responds to twitter trolls calling the dick flip stuff gay with “what’s wrong with being gay?”

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, there's definitely something "weird" about it but I dunno. Like that seems like its verging into the idea that he's "the patriarchy" and the crowd is society pushing people to do something they don't want to do. And I just don't think Joey Ryan is really that deep. And most cases I've seen the opponent is in the heel role grabbing Joey's dick as a cheap move or to prove they're stronger. Mostly I think Joey is just an idiot who wanted to "Hulk Up" with his dick.

Joey is the heel a lot of the time but in those cases the face usually accidentally stumbles into it or goes for it as a test of strength. But you’re basically right about the hulk up with his dick part, although it wasn’t even something he came up with. I’m sure most have heard this story, but it was originally a spot Danshoku Dino told him to do to play off the stereotype in Japan that Americans have big dicks. Then the spot went viral and Joey ran with it, not even expecting it to last. He did an interview about it here: https://411mania.com/wrestling/joey-ryan-details-the-origin-of-his-penis-flip-and-how-it-went-viral-talks-treating-it-seriously-in-the-ring/

Joey’s gimmick is questionable in this day and age but I wouldn’t lump him in with a slime like Cornette.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He still a dweeb tho

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

As the person who started by defending Joey, he's a huge dweeb. But that dweeb is involved in some important history.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

He still a dweeb tho

Absolutely

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Above all else there is no question that Joey Ryan is a dweeb.

But wrestling has its fair share of dweebs. Some of my favorite wrestlers are dweebs. Joey Ryan isn't one of them but I don't REALLY think he's a sexual predator or scumbag either. Just a dweeb who doesn't really get that just acknowledging that its "sleazy" won't make it ok with everyone.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1262136380118806529

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, Boobplex is a Joey Ryan move. Candice' preferred genitalia-based suplex was the Ballsplex (or Double Ballsplex when wrestling the Bucks).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This has nothing to do with wrestling but god I hate him so much

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1261809309681217536?s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

no wonder that little poo poo ran PR for a deathcamp.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

flashy_mcflash posted:

someone should explain to ryan that you don't have to fart out a tweet for every single brain synapse you have

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hell yeah, destroy each other

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

That popular clip where Jushin Liger stuck his finger in someone's butt and then 8 other people followed suit seems like sexual assault.

I kinda hate to be, um, anal about this, but this one was Liger sacrificing his butt to Ciampa's oil check spot to save Chuck Taylor's butt and saving the day thanks to previous experience dealing with Japanese schoolchildren.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Joey Ryan is dumb, the dickflip is dumb. Even if he asks every wrestler before doing the move, it's still borderline abuse because there will often be a power imbalance at play. Especially at Bar Wrestling, but in any podunk indy where he's the bigger name. But, when it comes to Joey Ryan vs Jim Cornette, just dick flip cornet into a volcano that guy is the loving worst.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd rather deal with dweebs than racists and rapists. And Joey better be generous with his dickflip money because that volcano is always hungry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's wrestling. You're getting dick and rear end in your face and grabbing it and being grabbed anyway. Like if we're calling the dick flip "borderline assault" then every single gorilla press slam is the same. So is half the poo poo Taguichi does or any other wrestler who has moves that hit you with their rear end.

E: wait till you see where the other guys junk is when you do a powerbomb.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how many times do you think Chris Dickinson has touched another wrestler's crotch? Do you think it bothers him.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's wrestling. You're getting dick and rear end in your face and grabbing it and being grabbed anyway. Like if we're calling the dick flip "borderline assault" then every single gorilla press slam is the same. So is half the poo poo Taguichi does or any other wrestler who has moves that hit you with their rear end.

E: wait till you see where the other guys junk is when you do a powerbomb.

That’s my take on it as well. Don’t see how the dick flip approaches assault more than any other move where there’s dick or rear end contact.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So what degree of sexual assault is either version of the atomic drop? What about Road Dogg's little dance before he does the pump handle slam?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So what degree of sexual assault is either version of the atomic drop? What about Road Dogg's little dance before he does the pump handle slam?

Wow Road Dogg. Just gonna say suck it then do a provocative dance before you punch me. The only way you could be more problematic is by having nasty white guy dreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Road Dogg shoulda punched the guy in the back of the head while he was gyrating. Really go for a 3fer on the Attitude Era bingo sheet