Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I wish I didn't have to talk to my animal friends 5 times before they got to the interesting stuff.
Yes, it was me hitting rocks. Yes, I took those fossils to Blathers. Yes, I'm the one growing bell trees. I do these things literally every day, stop asking! Or at the very least stop prioritizing those messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

If I block off the entrance to my museum with fencing or other placed items will villagers stop going in there? Or will they magically phase through my blockade when i'm not looking?
Tired of searching for these fools to give them gifts. The museum is like an entire extra island of search area.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

E-flat posted:

Is it okay that I feel secretly a little relieved whenever someone who isn’t me in this thread has a comm error :ohdear: it’s not just me!!

Fwiw I do really like your island! It’s just so clean.

Thanks so much! I try really hard :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo, this is great

https://twitter.com/zoo_huwa/status/1261651384551669761?s=20

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

peepsalot posted:

If I block off the entrance to my museum with fencing or other placed items will villagers stop going in there? Or will they magically phase through my blockade when i'm not looking?
Tired of searching for these fools to give them gifts. The museum is like an entire extra island of search area.

I think they just phase wherever they want. I completely fenced off Ursala's house when I was trying to kick her out and she would still just show up wherever she wanted to.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think they just phase wherever they want. I completely fenced off Ursala's house when I was trying to kick her out and she would still just show up wherever she wanted to.

They definitely do. When I started I had Boomer up at the third elevation and the only way you could get to his house was via ladder. I’ve never seen an animal use a ladder, either, but he would still be in the plaza half the day anyway somehow.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

The Discord authorization thing sounded so scary and impossible; for some reason I was under the impression it'd autojoin me to all the Goon discords and I could not handle the thought. I was mistaken and it was easy and actually painless. Thanks to all who had patience with me!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Geemer posted:

Maybe make the road one tile wider and then put the sidewalk on top of that?

Oh yeah, that might work.

E: Wait... I'd have to leave one blank pixel on every square... Maybe if I make the underlying path out of stone?

E2: Oh, obviously that just gives it a stone texture...

Khanstant posted:

Unfortunately you've explored your options. Personally the border between road and sidewalk wasn't of notice to me, even when looking at it, I just see it as the grass that always grows between infrastructure ground borders IRL anyway.
Paintstakingly recreating road texture won't work since you have a much lower resolution available for patterns. Those patterns also don't interact with the light as much. Plus, the solid patterns without conforming to existing path textures also have that unnaturally soft step sound compared to ones placed path-style.

Actually both have the exact same sound.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 17, 2020

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
My Able’s is selling the smaller, 1,000,000 bell crown if anyone is looking for that. Dodo is closed

Pump Jockey fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 17, 2020

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Hell yeah, got 5 stars. All I did was put a fence around my graveyard and pick up the recipe cards I had out for visitors.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, that might work.

E: Wait... I'd have to leave one blank pixel on every square... Maybe if I make the underlying path out of stone?

E2: Oh, obviously that just gives it a stone texture...

Actually both have the exact same sound.

This person does a really good job with things like sidewalk and such when it comes to colors and shading, maybe have a look at their stuff:

https://twitter.com/yamaji_maya/status/1260846838912913408?s=20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This person does a really good job with things like sidewalk and such when it comes to colors and shading, maybe have a look at their stuff:

That's really impressive! I'll check their stuff out later, my sidewalks could do with some definition. In the meantime, I came up with this custom texture for the asphalt that I'm pretty happy with.

It doesn't stand up to close scrutiny when compared to the natural textures, but under most lighting conditions and without zooming in it does a fair enough job.

Nintendo really needs to like viguple the maximum amount of custom patterns. Or at least let us loving rotate them when we put them down...

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

https://www.twitter.com/gnossymptote/status/1262125530825977856?s=20

i've spent the past few days terraforming the poo poo out of my island, and made a couple land bridge markets, here's one of them!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does going back in time to this morning to buy turnips screw up my nips calculations for the rest of the week?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Opened up for a giveaway and cataloging. Details over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566&pagenumber=1#post504929991

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
For anyone who doesn't know, authing in the Discord is just PMing a bot with your SA username. It gives you a jumble of letters to stuff into your profile somewhere ("about me" works well). Once you've done that and the bot sees it, you're in. It's fairly painless.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Gnossiennes posted:

i've spent the past few days terraforming the poo poo out of my island, and made a couple land bridge markets, here's one of them!

That’s dope. I end up making as much stuff horizontal as possible to accommodate the games fixed camera angle, and find it really difficult to make a vertical presentation work, but you really pulled it off here.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Lurdiak posted:

It doesn't stand up to close scrutiny when compared to the natural textures, but under most lighting conditions and without zooming in it does a fair enough job.

Wait, what? How do you do that high res texture leading to the house?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Silver Falcon posted:

No, there's tons of villagers in this game, like over 400 iirc. It's just confirmation bias. People who don't have interesting villagers just don't post about them.

So I will. My lazy is Hornsby. He's a lovable blue rhino and I love my idiot son.

I've got Sprinkle (Peppy), Angus (Cranky), Flurry (Normal), Jay (Sporty), and Tex (Smug) for my less-interesting villagers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Wait, what? How do you do that high res texture leading to the house?

That's just the dirt path texture showing thru an asphalt tile with a transparent pixel.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gnossiennes posted:

Super awesome!!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, that's impressive

The outdoor shops remind me of the giant department stores in Japan(the kimonos especially, cause, duh)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Does anyone know of a very simple checklist (like, spreadsheet format) for things like furniture and clothing? I like Villager DB but it takes too long to navigate when I just want to be able to see what I have and check off what I get in a glance.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hey I'm going to try this one more time. I'm going AFK - won't even be at home, picking up dinner - but feel free to snag the stuff outside the airport! Lots of recipes and bones and other things. Don't be greedy, just take what you want/need.

Bertha is making a Peach Surprise Box. Yay.

I'm the dude in the 8ball shirt.

F47WM

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Gnossiennes posted:

I love it!

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The forced perspective stairs & levels I see around: surely they're only effective from one angle and look like dogshit if you move the camera around inside?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Lurdiak posted:

That's just the dirt path texture showing thru an asphalt tile with a transparent pixel.
Oh, crazy! I had no idea that a single transparent pixel completely changes how it applies patterns over paths. Also hard to discover since apparently grass has no "texture" in that way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chris Pistols posted:

The forced perspective stairs & levels I see around: surely they're only effective from one angle and look like dogshit if you move the camera around inside?

When put outdoors there is no camera angle change so YMMV

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I only learned yesterday that catchphrase spreading isn't entirely unannounced and random. The explanations for them are hidden in conversations you see between two villagers.

Mac and Gloria had a conversation yesterday that ended with him proclaiming he would start saying "darlin'" to ward off the hiccups. This jock started calling me darlin'.
Today, he spoke to Melba, who he told "mate" is fun to say. He is now an Australian stereotype.

It's still annoying, but at least now it's funny to know the lore.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I told Leonardo he could change his catchphrase when he asked me to. I decided he’d say “turds” because that’s funny.

Everybody on my island says turds now. I’m fine with that.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

A non goon friend time travelled to fix her rock garden and has Nooks buying turnips for 630 . She doesn't mind my sharing but please be nice!

*My Nooks is located to the right of the airport.
*Free items behind Nooks - please take.
*ISO; Valiant Statue or White Floating-Biotope Planter.

Dodo code: Turnip exchange link incoming (will post in private server thread).

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 18, 2020

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Today I had a villager, who I'd already given a custom catchphrase (which spread to half the rest of the villagers of course), ask about a special greeting.
And this is separate from the catchphrase? Do these spread too, or is it really a "secret greeting" that they will only use with me? Also will they say it to visitors?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Maerlyn posted:

A non goon friend time travelled to fix her rock garden and has Nooks buying turnips for 630 . She doesn't mind my sharing but please be nice!

Please tell them "Thank you!" and "Sorry for the goon rush."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Oh, crazy! I had no idea that a single transparent pixel completely changes how it applies patterns over paths. Also hard to discover since apparently grass has no "texture" in that way.

Yeah, it's an interesting feature that the game absolutely does not tell you about.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, this. Hope nobody else already gave them the planter!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

Seconded on both counts.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Good fun fishing with the discord crew, Blathers will be thrilled. One day I will catch a shadow with a fin, but that day is not today.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

*My Nooks is located to the right of the airport.
*Free items behind Nooks - please take.
*ISO; Valiant Statue or White Floating-Biotope Planter.

Dodo code: See here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566

Melicious posted:

Yeah, this. Hope nobody else already gave them the planter!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Seconded on both counts.

McCracAttack posted:

Quadruple Ditto. I left 10% of my earnings, lol.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doing a bit of a poll here to work something out:

Can anybody with Beau, Sherb or Raddle tell me whether, in your experience, they will not shut up about bugs?

So according to the villager lists, all of these villagers are "Lazy", and I used to have Sherb and Raddle at the same time, but I got rid of Raddle because the both of them had the exact same dialogue lines all the time.

Stuff like:

"Sorry, I didn't sleep well, the bugs in my floor kept me up all night!" and

"Thanks! I can't wait to show this to the bugs in my house! Well, at least the ones in my floor, the ones in my walls are being jerks"

"I'm making [DIY recipe]! The bugs in my floor whispered the recipe to me in my sleep!".

However Beau has never once mentioned bugs. Somebody in the discord said that they had heard two people with the same lazy villager saying different things about what they talk about, so maybe it's randomised? Just trying to see if I can confirm this by asking for your experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Doing a bit of a poll here to work something out:

However Beau has never once mentioned bugs. Somebody in the discord said that they had heard two people with the same lazy villager saying different things about what they talk about, so maybe it's randomised? Just trying to see if I can confirm this by asking for your experiences.

I'm pretty sure Beau will eventually say something about bugs. Just as every peppy is a popstar, every smug is an actor, etc.