Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shonen jump aint great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kind of weird to think that the original run of Dragon Ball isn't that long compared to other long running shonen now.

Though that may partially be because I remember binging through it incredibly fast a few years ago so it felt shorter than it actually was.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 17, 2020

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Kind of weird to think that the original run of Dragon Ball isn't that long compared to other long running shonen now.

Though that may partially be because I remember binging through it incredibly fast a few years ago so it felt shorter than it actually was.

by the time Dragon Ball (the manga, so OG Dragon Ball and DBZ) had run as long as MHA has at this point, Frieza had entered his final form

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Roth posted:

No, it really isn't that long. Inuyasha got a lot of poo poo for being bloated when it was a mere 167 episodes. Naruto and Bleach both had more filler episodes than the entire run of Inuyasha or the original Dragon Ball.

Everybody knows about how absurdly stretched out DBZ was but the original DB was paced extremely well. It's also a much better anime.

EDIT:

Also while I'm far from an anime expert, it seems like shounen has undergoen some changes.

I first noticed it with Fairy Tail but it's even more obvious in MHA. Fights are so much shorter. No more Rock Lee vs. Gaara where any fight worth anything had to at least be three episodes. This held true even for card anime like Yu-Gi-Oh.

Also it feels like ever since Naruto shounen casts have ballooned in size. A lot of the older shounen from the 80s or early 2000s starred one main character and their small cast of friends and enemies. With the old Holy Shounen Trinity and onward though, you have dozens of charaters you have to keep track of and which the fandom adores. It helped in Naruto because I hated the character of Naruto and so when the plot suddenly started giving focus to Rock Lee and otehrs, it meant I could love the series even while not really caring for the MC. This is how I felt ten years ago anyway, not a Naruto fan anymore.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 18, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm talking about the manga specifically.

Manga Dragon Ball is a bit over 500 chapters, and probably less than half of One Piece's final chaoter count.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's a common structure to long-running series where the main character never has a personal arc. They're a flat character and it's the characters around them that have positive (or negative) arcs and resolutions. Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Maka, Guts... These characters change but they never resolve. That's why Gohan failed to be the protagonist. He had an arc with resolution. The DBZ Kai Abridged joke is almost too apt: "You peaked." There is no new challenge possible with Gohan because his internal conflict is gone. A flat arc'd main character acts as an anchor and pivot point for other characters in the series. Some works understand this (Toriyama in particular, even his villains have arcs that pivot on Goku) while others definitely 100% don't (Bleach. Mostly Bleach.)

This is probably what lends to a work feeling like it's supposed to end or not. A good western example is Sherlock Holmes, who is in a ton of stories with no personal stake but usually gets ruined by modern writers needing to give him an arc of some sort. The worst parts of House are when it's about House.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also it feels like ever since Naruto shounen casts have ballooned in size. A lot of the older shounen from the 80s or early 2000s starred one main character and their small cast of friends and enemies. With the old Holy Shounen Trinity and onward though, you have dozens of charaters you have to keep track of and which the fandom adores. It helped in Naruto because I hated the character of Naruto and so when the plot suddenly started giving focus to Rock Lee and otehrs, it meant I could love the series even while not really caring for the MC. This is how I felt ten years ago anyway, not a Naruto fan anymore.

Naruto is a pivot character. You care about the others because the story is temporarily about them, Naruto is just a semi-dumb narrative glue for stuff.

I would figure cast bloat happens because every character that comes in is acting as a pivot for the main character, twisting to the reverse of what Toriyama clearly does. You have to have an endless string of stepping stones to keep one character moving, versus having one character anchoring many stories.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 18, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

sasuke is the best part of naruto

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ranzear posted:

There's a common structure to long-running series where the main character never has a personal arc. They're a flat character and it's the characters around them that have positive (or negative) arcs and resolutions. Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Maka, Guts... These characters change but they never resolve.

It's so weird because despite being a sillyass parody Gintama has better dramatic character arcs than most other long-running manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

Moview@tch starting in less than 10!

The Prince of Tennis

at https://cytu.be/r/kotori

Starting at
5:00 pm PDT/8:00 EDT/ on Sunday!

Also for future reference for any newcomers for any google drive videos, cytube requires a userscript, using either tampermonkey or greasemonkey depending on your browser, so if you wanna set that up beforehand, just click here https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

No, it really isn't that long. Inuyasha got a lot of poo poo for being bloated when it was a mere 167 episodes. Naruto and Bleach both had more filler episodes than the entire run of Inuyasha or the original Dragon Ball.

Everybody knows about how absurdly stretched out DBZ was but the original DB was paced extremely well. It's also a much better anime.

yeah i haven't watched much of either but i remember DB being "the good anime" and dbz being a stretched out hell. also, inuyasha had filler, but a good bit of that filler were episodes where kagome went home, and then inuyasha followed her and they did dumb superpowers bullshit around the modern world and that owned a lot imo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

Movie gonna be delayed a bit as I fix things, but we still got stuff to watch while i'm fixing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Truga posted:

yeah i haven't watched much of either but i remember DB being "the good anime" and dbz being a stretched out hell. also, inuyasha had filler, but a good bit of that filler were episodes where kagome went home, and then inuyasha followed her and they did dumb superpowers bullshit around the modern world and that owned a lot imo.

To be fair, even the Inuyasha manga had a few arcs that could probably be described as filler and the whole thing could have been at least 100 chapters shorter than it actually was. That said, I still have a bit of a soft spot for the series and am cautiously looking forward to the upcoming anime sequel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like I'm becoming a crazy old woman anytime someone describes episodes as filler that aren't episodes made purely to stop the anime from overtaking the manga.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just look at how MHA is being handled as anime. Normally it'd probably be ongoing with maybe an episode or 2 break, but instead the series is getting a cour or 2 cour break to allow the production to breathe and make sure the show is better paced with the manga

Probably the era of ongoing Shonen Jump anime will end once One Piece ends and we'll see a switch to what MHA or even Neverland is doing or they'll try and mimic Rider/Sentai and maybe change the core cast/setting after a full run to keep things fresh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roth posted:

I feel like I'm becoming a crazy old woman anytime someone describes episodes as filler that aren't episodes made purely to stop the anime from overtaking the manga.

I'm getting flashbacks to when Stardust Crusaders was airing and anime-only people were having a hard time dealing with the transition to the series becoming more fight of the week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when Stardust Crusaders was airing and anime-only people were having a hard time dealing with the transition to the series becoming more fight of the week.

There was a weird period after Parts 1 + 2 got their anime where it felt like everyone was suddenly pushing back against stands in favor of hamon, and praising Part 2 as the peak of Jojo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

To be fair, even the Inuyasha manga had a few arcs that could probably be described as filler and the whole thing could have been at least 100 chapters shorter than it actually was. That said, I still have a bit of a soft spot for the series and am cautiously looking forward to the upcoming anime sequel.

yeah the inuyasha manga went pretty dire for a bit, it was the first thing i dropped due to lack of interest rather than lack of time i think. was pretty glad when the final i don't know how many chapters were then crammed into 26 eps in the final season.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Probably the era of ongoing Shonen Jump anime will end once One Piece ends and we'll see a switch to what MHA or even Neverland is doing or they'll try and mimic Rider/Sentai and maybe change the core cast/setting after a full run to keep things fresh

yeah and it'll be better for it. i still love the one piece anime, because i listen to it while doing other things and the fact that it's gotten so dragged out i'm watching a fan cut version is stupid as hell. i know people roll eyes over filler episodes, but i prefer filler eps i can skip to whatever OP is doing. just going on break is even better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Truga posted:

There was n episode where, after Inuyasha learned Adamant Barrage, either Kagome or her brother was like 'hey! You can magically make giant chunks of diamond appear! Do that for us and make us rich!"

Of course it didn't work but at least they had the idea.

Roth posted:

Nah, people have been doing that forever. I used to be a Pokemon anime fan and was confused when people kept calling every episode of the anime "filler."

Also I'm so used to watching only long runners that when I found out the highly praised Madoka Magica is only 12 episodes, that kinda put me off. How can you even sink your teeth into something that short? And yet the way everyone went on about it a few years ago I figured it must be a brilliant masterpiece.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its exactly as long as it needs to be

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
when you barely manage to finish watching anything even just 12 episodes can feel like a lot

also there is something to be said for a tightly-crafted story that uses all the space it has allotted without feeling either bloated or too short

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I'm so used to watching only long runners that when I found out the highly praised Madoka Magica is only 12 episodes, that kinda put me off. How can you even sink your teeth into something that short? And yet the way everyone went on about it a few years ago I figured it must be a brilliant masterpiece.
Twelve episodes is 240 minutes, or four hours. You can fit a lot into four hours.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't say MHA is the new norm, there are still longrunning shonen jump anime that have to take diversions so they don't overtake their source material. there's some process by which this stuff gets decided, though it could just be as simple as MHA/Neverland etc are handed to studios that don't do that sort of thing vs Black Clover and Boruto being at Pierrot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i wouldn't say MHA is the new norm, there are still longrunning shonen jump anime that have to take diversions so they don't overtake their source material. there's some process by which this stuff gets decided, though it could just be as simple as MHA/Neverland etc are handed to studios that don't do that sort of thing vs Black Clover and Boruto being at Pierrot

To be fair in Boruto’s case the manga is only released monthly so they really had no choice but to pad things out with their own material (it’s the same problem the 90’s Sailor Moon anime was faced with).

Though in this case the anime is overall the better product in my opinion (in fact, large amounts of filler aside I actually feel the same way about the original Naruto/Shippuden anime as well)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

For comparison, Madoka Magica is the length of Citizen Kane twice. There's not five billion characters and fifteen arcs, but there's five very well-defined characters and one arc that gives the entire cast something to do. That's more than a lot of 500 episode shonen manage.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my probation was unjust

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

my probation was unjust

lol no you earned that one

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol no you earned that one

Welcome back! :toot:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

my probation was unjust

welcome back comrade

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

check out this meme i found

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yes!!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

Welcome back! :toot:

came to check the touhou thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Julias was talking about me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

my probation was unjust
you used the wrong dbz meme

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

lorv

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

You would never understand why I did it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

This one seems pretty neat!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I could easily beat you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm sorry, but being put off from watching something for being "too short" outside of a money-value context is making my head hurt.