Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
May 17th Cum. Deaths Update

C-SPAM University Model vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
lol that they're successfully shoving all the deaths under the floorboards, somehow

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
all too many states willing to make the mortuaries run on time

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

lol that they're successfully shoving all the deaths under the floorboards, somehow

history will wonder why we were so worried about covid when a mysterious pneumonia pandemic was decimating the populace

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Note that this Sunday is above last Sunday by 15%.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

shovelbum posted:

its killing overwhelmingly dems and nonvoters

give it a month

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I think that the numbers in general are accurate (or at least consistent across our collection period), but I think C-SPAM in general has made some estimation errors mostly around:

- effect lag
- areas of highest transmission risk.

In general we had the right idea of a rebound, but we underestimated time lag of adding and removing interventions and we believed that opening outdoor areas like beaches and parks would have much more of an impact than they actually did.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

facetoucher cat posted:

dalgona coffee goes brrrrrr

My partner loves these things like nothing else and it has tripled her coffee intake. It also cost me a bit of money too because she would hand whisk them for ages and complain the whole time hoping to get me to take over so I bought an electric whisk.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

eric ciaramella posted:

all too many states willing to make the mortuaries run on time

:hai:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think that the numbers in general are accurate (or at least consistent across our collection period), but I think C-SPAM in general has made some estimation errors mostly around:

- effect lag
- areas of highest transmission risk.

In general we had the right idea of a rebound, but we underestimated time lag of adding and removing interventions and we believed that opening outdoor areas like beaches and parks would have much more of an impact than they actually did.

Yeah, pretty much anything outside seems fine as long as you aren't packed in. I wish that there was more info about how much transmission is from surfaces so we'd know how much to care about groceries and such.

This thing is gonna roll through churches, bars, and restaurants as we open back up though. Probably gyms too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Still waiting on the outbreak from. Florida beaches. Surely any day now.

maybe it really doesn't spread outdoors for whatever reason and its all about either places with heavy exertion (meatpacking, gyms, choir) or recirculated air where you're sitting for a while (buses, trains, restaurants, bars)

i don't really get how it spread at funerals so easily but not at beaches - were wakes happening afterwards? if so that could be where it spread, not at the quiet funeral home for a fairly short service

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 02:15 on May 18, 2020

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I went for a hike way in the middle of nowhere the other day and on the drive passed a funeral home. There were people sitting on the porch just chilling in the rocking chairs and others just milling about on the porch, about 10 or 13 people. No masks, no attempts made to socially distance

That's how the outbreak in Albany started

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i guess it's also that NY and NJ, with over half the total US deaths, are over the hump

MA (third in deaths) may be on the other side of the death curve, but our total % infection rate is a lot lower and if we begin to open back up it'll come roaring back

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm going to the hairdresser this arvo, it'll be the only place apart from home and the local supermarket that I've been to in 3 months.
Is the Aussie CovidSafe app working properly on iphones now, does anyone know?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, pretty much anything outside seems fine as long as you aren't packed in. I wish that there was more info about how much transmission is from surfaces so we'd know how much to care about groceries and such.

This thing is gonna roll through churches, bars, and restaurants as we open back up though. Probably gyms too.

Yeah disinfecting groceries is a fuckin chore and I never feel like I get all the nooks and crannies in the poo poo that needs to go in the fridge

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Note that this Sunday is above last Sunday by 15%.
Lol

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

My partner loves these things like nothing else and it has tripled her coffee intake. It also cost me a bit of money too because she would hand whisk them for ages and complain the whole time hoping to get me to take over so I bought an electric whisk.

I started to do this by hand then said, "lmao f that" and moved to the hand blender with whisk attachment. I normally do drip bag pour over coffee or chemex but this is like crack and I'm hooked

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yeah disinfecting groceries is a fuckin chore and I never feel like I get all the nooks and crannies in the poo poo that needs to go in the fridge

I'm still doing this but it is definitely one part of my vigilance I feel wearing down the most. With the abundance of food delivery operations running now, I feel like we should have traced some typhoid mary style outbreaks by now, but none have been reported to my knowledge.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Google Butt posted:

It makes it be like five loving hours of total decontamination time once getting home, I wish we had a clearer answer on surfaces

I'm getting better at it though. Put away everything that doesn't need refrigeration and don't gently caress with it for a few days instead of cleaning. Leave fruit and some vegetables in the bag, just fill the bag with soap water and slosh around instead of washing it by hand. Rinse and dry.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Could you answer this survey about your experience first?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm still doing this but it is definitely one part of my vigilance I feel wearing down the most. With the abundance of food delivery operations running now, I feel like we should have traced some typhoid mary style outbreaks by now, but none have been reported to my knowledge.

if you eliminate people
a) packed together
b) spending large times in groups indoors
you're 99% of the way there but offices gotta office and churches gotta church

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gonna be honest and say this looks fine

Even beaches up here in CT get more crowded than this during a normal summer, and myrtle beach can be a hellish sea of humanity during the really busy parts of the season. If beaches keep capacity low and people stay pretty well apart like they are in this video it's hard to imagine how it's going to be a problem. It's all the tourist trap restaurants and poo poo nearby that are going to cause the real problem.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Trumo's betting it all that they can half-rear end something that looks enough like a vaccine that he can throw a victory over COVID parade for himself right before the election.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

gonna be honest and say this looks fine

Even beaches up here in CT get more crowded than this during a normal summer, and myrtle beach can be a hellish sea of humanity during the really busy parts of the season. If beaches keep capacity low and people stay pretty well apart like they are in this video it's hard to imagine how it's going to be a problem. It's all the tourist trap restaurants and poo poo nearby that are going to cause the real problem.

yeah, they all gotta funnel through somewhere

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

can most people honestly trace who/what they got covid from?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1262189686325276673

quote:

Japan dived into its first recession since 2015, according to official data Monday, with the world's third-largest economy contracting by 0.9 percent in the first quarter as it wrestles with the fallout from the coronavirus.

The drop in gross domestic product followed a 1.9-percent decline in the fourth quarter of 2019 as a tax hike and typhoons hit Japan hard -- even before the pandemic shut down much of the economy.

A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth and some analysts predicted the Japanese economy would suffer worse as the effects of the coronavirus become clear.

"We expect the worst is yet to come, with the state of emergency in Japan and the severity of the pandemic among Western nations continuing to derail the Japanese economy," said Naoya Oshikubo, senior economist at SuMi TRUST.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

What the gently caress would it take to get to another depression in his eyes?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

snoo posted:

Not in the US but other countries that are doing proper contact tracing are providing good info on how outbreaks spread.

Which is why I'm stunned by people who want to crowd in to bars and restaurants since that's exactly the kind of environment that is perfect for this thing.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

snoo posted:

That's the entire point of contact tracing. The US is failing miserably at it, but we can look at studies from places like ROK and China to get a good idea of what is causing outbreaks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the funniest thing is facebooks entire platform is effectively built on creating shadow profiles via contact tracing, but somehow that's too hard for america to do.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zil posted:

What the gently caress would it take to get to another depression in his eyes?
A Democrat as president.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Radirot posted:

lets do another flyover to honor the sacrifices from the first failed flyover.

Too dangerous. No more flying. Build a tunneling machine to Tunnel Underground and thank them for their sacrifice there.

think of it as a parade route for dead people

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still kinda freak out over what if the nba didn’t shutdown when they did. like what would even be a comparable at all event to convince people poo poo was real

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

kater posted:

I still kinda freak out over what if the nba didn’t shutdown when they did. like what would even be a comparable at all event to convince people poo poo was real

we'd be at herd immunity by now tho lmao

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Helith posted:

I'm going to the hairdresser this arvo, it'll be the only place apart from home and the local supermarket that I've been to in 3 months.
Is the Aussie CovidSafe app working properly on iphones now, does anyone know?

As far as I'm aware no one in the govt knows how to use it and while it is working better it's still useless.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's always a worry here when a case isn't able to be traced. Latest outbreak here caused a bunch of McDonalds to shut down due to a asymptomatic delivery driver, so far the symptomatic nursing home nurse who worked for over a week hasn't caused any.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1262171361633542144

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

maybe it really doesn't spread outdoors for whatever reason and its all about either places with heavy exertion (meatpacking, gyms, choir) or recirculated air where you're sitting for a while (buses, trains, restaurants, bars)

i don't really get how it spread at funerals so easily but not at beaches - were wakes happening afterwards? if so that could be where it spread, not at the quiet funeral home for a fairly short service

lots of hugging at funerals, and sitting around next to other people, often inside

also i wonder if tears can spread the roni lol

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

If you lick them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

been mulling over all afternoon if it's worthwhile to take my job at the restaurant. I'm not getting unemployment berniebux so that's not part of the calculus, so it's pretty much "do I want covid?" vs "can I squeeze higher pay and full time hours out of this?"