Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Of course he doesn't see any depression. No one can afford to go to the doctor to get a diagnosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

maybe it really doesn't spread outdoors for whatever reason and its all about either places with heavy exertion (meatpacking, gyms, choir) or recirculated air where you're sitting for a while (buses, trains, restaurants, bars)

i don't really get how it spread at funerals so easily but not at beaches - were wakes happening afterwards? if so that could be where it spread, not at the quiet funeral home for a fairly short service

it has a more difficult time spreading outdoors, but the beaches themselves aren't the problem it's the concession stands, bathrooms, gas stations, yadda yadda where people congregate and the uv rayz can't nuke the virus before it gets to a host

also there's a 2 week lead time on roni so you're not going to see cases increase (because testing is a joke) until june and you're not going to see deaths (because deaths are being deliberately suppressed) until mid june

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Schnorkles posted:

god coronavirus is depressing

i hope everyone is having a good weekend

reasonably well considering i'm dealing with c-ptsd, chronic pain & migraines

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Very excited for when the roni reckoning never actually happens for CHUDS and we just go another year with a 9/11 a day which is the tolerable level of deaths for us to get haircuts.

To bask in the glory of all the told you so tweets and the crushing trump caliphate victory.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

dalgona coffee goes brrrrrr

I tried this assuming it would be some meme crap but I've now been making them daily. Bought a bunch of decaf instant so that I don't get too messed up on caffeine

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Thoguh posted:

Not in the US but other countries that are doing proper contact tracing are providing good info on how outbreaks spread.

Which is why I'm stunned by people who want to crowd in to bars and restaurants since that's exactly the kind of environment that is perfect for this thing.

We currently have an outbreak here which centres around a driver who made deliveries to multiple McDonald's stores, which isn't something you would generally think involves prolonged close contact. Now 12 stores are closed, 12 staff have tested positive, and hundreds of staff have been told to self-isolate.

That's not happening in my state but I did read the other day that my state has 2000 people assigned to contact tracing.

Lolie has issued a correction as of 03:19 on May 18, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

I tried this assuming it would be some meme crap but I've now been making them daily. Bought a bunch of decaf instant so that I don't get too messed up on caffeine

It's still a lot of sugar though. So much sugar.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/kharyp/status/1262074477921198082

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1261899521916837894

quote:

A pregnant woman traveling through India by foot interrupted her journey to give birth and then kept walking for another 160 kilometers (99 miles) with her newborn baby.

The woman, whose identity is unknown by CNN, was walking with her husband and their four other children from the city of Nashik, in Maharashtra, to the town of Satna in the adjoining state of Madhya Pradesh.

Somewhere along the trip, the woman stopped and gave birth to a baby girl. A few days later, she was stopped by Kavita Kanesh, an official at a checkpoint in Madhya Pradesh.

I've never had that much of a will to live in my entire life, maybe that's a problem

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

drink Greek / Turkish coffee. frappe is fine and good but but the boiled stuff is wonderful. get a briki or a ibrik. make sure to get lightly roasted very finely ground.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

drink w/e caffeine slop you want. theres no need to fancy up a dose of stimulants

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

it has a more difficult time spreading outdoors, but the beaches themselves aren't the problem it's the concession stands, bathrooms, gas stations, yadda yadda where people congregate and the uv rayz can't nuke the virus before it gets to a host

also there's a 2 week lead time on roni so you're not going to see cases increase (because testing is a joke) until june and you're not going to see deaths (because deaths are being deliberately suppressed) until mid june

It's all the food/bars/enclosed places for sure. I had a great beach outing on what turned out to be the day before everything got shut down in Puerto Rico, on March 14th or so. As always we were plenty spread out and no issues, no human contact. The enclosed food stand, however, was brimming with people who were all swarming the counter. Half of the group was American tourists desperately trying to max their last days of vacation while nervously/confusedly talking about this "Coronavirus" thing. I was going to grab a couple beers to go but bailed at the teeming mass of contagion. I did see manage to see one fat sunburned guy picking up an order of *12* pineapples full of pińa coladas. In retrospect, everyone shouting their orders and screaming to talk over the din of the blenders would make it a super spreader zone. Out on the sand was no issue.

I really wanna go to that beach again :( they're still ticketing/arresting people all over the island for setting foot on any beach.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

A Democrat as president.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1261516669341532161

hes still got it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
still remember this legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/dineshdsouza/status/966068560178098176

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lolie posted:

We currently have an outbreak here which centres around a driver who made deliveries to multiple McDonald's stores, which isn't something you would generally think involves prolonged close contact. Now 12 stores are closed, 12 staff have tested positive, and hundreds of staff have been told to self-isolate.

We're going to be playing whack-a-mole for a long time, most of the world will be, except in the USA where contact tracing is all part of the liberal agenda.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Zil posted:

What the gently caress would it take to get to another depression in his eyes?

Someone who isn't him taking the blame.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What conclusion are we supposed to draw from that image

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm still curious to see how this shakes out in india. It sounds like the facist gov over there has made trump look competent. Helps that the country isn't majority roni friendly comorbidities with obesity hypertension diabetes etc.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sliami posted:

If you lick them

a basketball player licking a microphone likely saved hundreds of thousands of lives just so far.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

drink Greek / Turkish coffee. frappe is fine and good but but the boiled stuff is wonderful. get a briki or a ibrik. make sure to get lightly roasted very finely ground.

no

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was feeling rotten over the weekend because I was bored, but that kind of brightened my day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol is that colonel sanders?

daimyo sandasu

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

seriously though is this a corpse or a francis bacon painting

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thesaurus posted:

Covid is good actually.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm still curious to see how this shakes out in india. It sounds like the facist gov over there has made trump look competent. Helps that the country isn't majority roni friendly comorbidities with obesity hypertension diabetes etc.

I guess we'll find out how much air pollution is a comorbidity

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SardonicTyrant posted:

I was feeling rotten over the weekend because I was bored, but that kind of brightened my day.

Yeah, it's nice to see a facebook smooth brain run face first into reality.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's a photoshop

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Can you make Dalgona coffee into mug cake?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think that the numbers in general are accurate (or at least consistent across our collection period), but I think C-SPAM in general has made some estimation errors mostly around:

- effect lag
- areas of highest transmission risk.

In general we had the right idea of a rebound, but we underestimated time lag of adding and removing interventions and we believed that opening outdoor areas like beaches and parks would have much more of an impact than they actually did.

on the other hand there are a lot of states with large urban populations that have a large number of cases but improbably low CFR way out of line with pretty much the rest of the world
- TX 2.7%
- TN 1.7%
- FL 4.3% (this is not as blatant as it was, but we know for sure they're tampering with their death numbers)
- GA 4.2% (also cooking their books, they've been caught in "mistakes" several times now)
- VA 3.3%
- NC 3.6%
- CA 4.0% (pretty sure CA gets a pass due to simply doing a whole lot more testing than all other states except NY)

I realize there's a lot of factors that go into CFR, notably who is tested - testing has been heavily weighted towards people showing symptoms, so a higher CFR than IFR seems reasonable to me, but the lowest CFR reporters are also among the lowest in testing per capita (TX is near the bottom) so dsgahsdgh hail satan praise baal

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thesaurus posted:

*inarticulate primal scream that is also somehow racist*

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the dude dancing cleaning the cart after she got stopped by the manager is pretty great

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

drink w/e caffeine slop you want. theres no need to fancy up a dose of stimulants

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thesaurus posted:

It's been heavily edited

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

it's a photo manip
https://twitter.com/Kevin_A_Reilly/status/1261518951755874304

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

yes

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lol has anyone figured out how to keep COVID19 alive in a super soaker yet?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

doesn't even look that much different really. the felon is trying to imply that LA's health officer looks like the cryptkeeper and this somehow invalidates her advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Rah! posted:

lots of hugging at funerals, and sitting around next to other people, often inside

also i wonder if tears can spread the roni lol

https://www.forbes.com/sites/farahq...t/#379eeb2c7bb6

quote:

...no traces of SARS-CoV-2 in 64 tear samples from 17 COVID-19 patients in Singapore, pointing to a low risk of viral spread through our eyes (i.e. ocular transmission). Since then, new case reports and studies have emerged, reporting various eye-related symptoms in patients with COVID-19, but with many caveats.

“[These] results are early. There’s still a lot to learn about the coronavirus and its behavior in the eye,” says Thomas Steinemann, an ophthalmologist and spokesperson for the American Academy of Ophthalmology. “We welcome, obviously, more recent studies, but [..] there isn’t a lot of information out there, and the numbers of people that are [enrolled] in these studies are pretty low. We’re talking about a virus that has infected millions, and we’re talking about studies that have a dozen people here [and] one or two in a case report there.”

but

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/covid-19-found-to-be-spread-through-eyes-and-is-100-times-more-infectious-than-sars

quote:

As a respiratory infection, The SARS-CoV-2 virus is primarily contracted via droplets suspended in aerosols or from viral debris emitted from a cough, sneeze, or speech.

This pathogen has proven to be particularly transmittable however, in large part because avenues of infection are not limited to the mechanisms listed above. Coronavirus fomites remain active on some surfaces for days at a time, its incubation requirements are relatively forgiving and a new study published in bioRxiv and affiliated with the Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine has revealed that the pathogen can even be transmitted through the eyes. Even worse, SARS-Cov-2, which causes the COVID-19 infection, is almost100 times more effective at infecting the eye as well as airways than SARS.

I'm going to start wearing goggles even if they do nothing