Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You just aren't hip enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Even the stars are ill at ease.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I guess it struck a nerve.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yellow mustard is bad

I wish I liked it but it loving reeks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

It's an alman* pizza. So asparagus, potato, boiled ham.

* "Alman (Turkish Alman "Deutscher") is a term used in German-speaking countries to describe German citizens without an obvious migration background. The term is also used to make fun of a person who lives according to German clichés"

How would being a non-native german have a negative effect on your skills at making pizza, a not famously german food?

If anything it'd probably help.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Probably a regional thing - while I have heard the term before, I never knew what it meant. In Sachsen-Anhalt, it's not a commonly used word.

Oh, not in Sachsen-Anhalt, no. It's a Thüringen expression.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I mean I've seen worse Strong Bad fan art.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

How would being a non-native german have a negative effect on your skills at making pizza, a not famously german food?

The point is that it's a pizza of German stereotypes. The Turks would probably put Döner meat on it instead and sell it to Germans and become filthy rich.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Aha! I knew it had to exist:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Antigravitas posted:

One of our local takeaways does similar

Really good value to share because a single slice is filling enough. Sadly don't have any pictures

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"Donner meat" sounds like meat fashioned after a Donnerbalken and absolutely not the kind of thing I'd want to eat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Döner kebab meat mate, maybe you call it something different like gyro or shawarma.

Helith has a new favorite as of 11:36 on May 18, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Donner meat, in the authentic Donner Party Style.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antigravitas posted:

I would definitely eat this

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Antigravitas posted:

Ah, the beginner version. Here's the pro version:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

"Donner meat" sounds like meat fashioned after a Donnerbalken and absolutely not the kind of thing I'd want to eat.

It's the stuff that lives on the big spinny metal thing in the pizza shop. Sort of... vaguely peppered and with only small amounts of bone chippings in it.

I think it's mostly made of dogs and labias.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Döner is the best mystery meat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not entirely sure it's meat, certainly mysterious though.

E: Also I googled "donnerbalken" and it's just pictures of soldiers with their arses hanging out? Is it soldier rear end meat?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Who's ready for breakfast?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ptpS9hB68/?igshid=zmyasvn433p3

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gschmidl posted:

As someone living in a German speaking country, I have never heard of this.
You have to read more taz then.

Antigravitas posted:

The point is that it's a pizza of German stereotypes. The Turks would probably put Döner meat on it instead and sell it to Germans and become filthy rich.
Every döner kebab place I know also has pizza on the menu. Not just döner pizza, a whole selection of basic toppings. Conversely, pizza places have cottoned on to putting döner meat on pizza long ago even if they don't sell döner.

There's also a whole class of restaurants that all have roughly the same "foreign food" menu of dishes from wildly different cuisines. Döner, pizza, pasta, fried noodles and curries, all on one 200 item foldout menu that you find in your mailbox.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not entirely sure it's meat, certainly mysterious though.

E: Also I googled "donnerbalken" and it's just pictures of soldiers with their arses hanging out? Is it soldier rear end meat?

A "Donnerbalken" is the log you hang your rear end off of to take a (thunderous) dump.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You have to read more taz then.

I was annoyingly pedantically implying that it's very much a Germany thing, not a "German-speaking countries" thing, as few people in Austria would want to be called a German by any word.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always sort of wondered that about the Greek diners in the Northeast, where they have these enormous menus with like 100 laminated pages and every single item has a numeric code like BF1003-A because there's just so god drat many things. What is it like being a chef in a place like that, and some customer is like "Mmm okay I think I'll haaaaaaave ... T581, the Thai Curry Wrap" or whatever, and they have to switch from grilling burgers and flipping pancakes to stew up some curry. I would have thought having a small, finite menu was basically a matter of survival for a restaurant, but these places have made an art form out of "we make literally anything, it might not be the best anything you've ever had but by God we will not ever say no"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate it when you can't tell what the toppings are. They should make it more clear.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

What is it like being a chef in a place like that, and some customer is like "Mmm okay I think I'll haaaaaaave ... T581, the Thai Curry Wrap" or whatever, and they have to switch from grilling burgers and flipping pancakes to stew up some curry.

The longer the menu is, the more likely it is that everything is frozen and just heated up on demand. If you're VERY lucky it was made on site before being frozen, but it's normally just all from one of those big industrial factory that also makes ready meals for supermarkets.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, the bigger the menu, the worse the food generally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Bloop posted:

Yellow mustard is bad

I wish I liked it but it loving reeks

I'm out of actual mustard and making do with some yellow I picked up for cheap for a cookout you know what

It really is bad

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The yellow mustard is only good with ketchup, relish, lots of onions and hot sauce. On its own it sort of sucks.

I remember in my teens I ate a lot of yellow mustard sandwiches because bread and mustard were all I had in the house to eat. My family wasn't big on breakfast unless it was the weekend and lol at getting a lunch, it was a fend for yourself thing. Dinner was a family meal but the rest of the time, lol good luck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yellow mustard is a tasty mustard flavored vinegar
that's also somewhat gelled so that makes it nice for cold cut sandwiches where an oil and vinegar dressing will just run away.

I am a hot dog hipster and take mine with one line of stone ground mustard on one side and one line of Sriracha on the other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I was a kid I ate so much yellow mustard — on its own, just squeezing a big pool of it on my plate and eating it with my fork — that my dad had to repeatedly admonish me that "Mustard is a cONdiment, you put it ON things"

e: now that I am responsible adult I ... still do that

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, you are posting in the right thread at least.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just had some of this chocolate:

Yes, that says algae / caramel / pineapple. There's juuuust a hint of the algae, it's really good.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I would eat that because it has fiddleheads and avocados in it, two of my favorite things in the world. Bad presentation, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We have a diner near me that has a HUGE menu, but upon close inspection it's almost all clever re-arrangements of the same base ingredients with a name suggesting Greekiness or Tex-Mexitude

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Brawnfire posted:

We have a diner near me that has a HUGE menu, but upon close inspection it's almost all clever re-arrangements of the same base ingredients with a name suggesting Greekiness or Tex-Mexitude

That's how most Mexican places do it

3 different sizes of tortillas triples your menu size with tacos, enchiladas, and burritos

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Glumslinger posted:

That's how most Mexican places do it

3 different sizes of tortillas triples your menu size with tacos, enchiladas, and burritos

I miss Mexican restaurants :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Iron Crowned posted:

I miss Mexican restaurants :(

They're probably still doing take out, I've been picking up Mexican about once a week

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

mexican food has the lowest cost margin of anything i can think of outside of pasta. that $14.95 burrito plate of two huge burritos, rice and beans probably cost less than 75 cents to assemble

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Glumslinger posted:

They're probably still doing take out, I've been picking up Mexican about once a week

True, but that's not the same as sitting down at a questionably decorated table, packing away 3 frozen strawberry margaritas, and devouring bottomless chips and salsa while you wait for a chicken chimichanga all while mariachi music plays over the speaker system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

This is like the live action version of editing from that terrible reddit chili cooking comic thing.

https://twitter.com/maneatsdragon/status/1257172551639367682?s=20