Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
"All of me" is simultaneously one of the coolest and most ridiculous moments in the series and for that the Pantagruel will always have a special place in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

the purpose of this section is to characterise the antagonists and give them screentime. that's it.

I mean that's fair and I appreciated what it gave me, but I still agree with the initial criticism that it felt a little orthogonal to actions taken so far. I still love Steel 2 so consider it more me going "yeah, but" after the fact.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's also something really special to me about Rean getting sucked into a conversation with Bleublanc for way too long, (hours?!) listening to his wild stories about his old crimes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, and Bleublanc even saying "looks like I even stole your attention" was such a perfect line.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mcburn had just finished explaining about how some humans had non-human bits mixed in, and how he and rean were similar. but then came that line, which means he is in fact not human rather than a hybrid like rean. what else can q: "how much of you is non-human" a: "all of me" even mean? was he bullshitting to sound cool?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McBurn would never do that!!!!

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

dmboogie posted:

it felt like a scene that should have been tailor made to let Estelle stand strong on her own for once but nope, gotta give Joshua the spotlight back.

What? Most of SC leading up to that point is all about Estelle learning to stand strong on her own. And immediately after it comes the famous beach scene. Plus, it's kind of absurd to expect Estelle to stand up against all of Ouroboros on her own. Even Joshua technically couldn't do it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it makes sense for Rean and the antagonists to get along on the Pantagruel. Heck, most of them don't even want to be there. Like, none of the named antagonists have even the slightest bit of loyalty to the Noble Alliance, they're either part of Ouroboros who are planning ???, or part of Crow's group whose goal was just to kill Osborne and now that that's over they're only hanging around because it's the path of least resistance. They have nothing against Rean, and Rean has nothing against them, and that makes sense to me. Arguably that's the whole point of the civil war storyline: just because you're on different sides doesn't mean you hate the other guys. In fact, often you wish you weren't fighting them?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Idkbutlike2 posted:

What? Most of SC leading up to that point is all about Estelle learning to stand strong on her own. And immediately after it comes the famous beach scene. Plus, it's kind of absurd to expect Estelle to stand up against all of Ouroboros on her own. Even Joshua technically couldn't do it.

the thing is that Joshua doesn't show up to save her from all of Ouroboros, or even just Loewe. He shows up to save her from four generic mooks and Gilbert. Yes I understand that SC is supposed to be leading up to Estelle standing up on her own, but I don't think it sells it very well, especially because mechanically, Estelle is awful and remains awful throughout the rest of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Estelle is the one who saves Joshua, though

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like the beach scene but i don't like estelle not being able to beat up the comedy recurring miniboss on her own and things like the latter were a lot more common in sky

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not being able to actually beat bosses is just par for the course at this point

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

I think it makes sense for Rean and the antagonists to get along on the Pantagruel. Heck, most of them don't even want to be there. Like, none of the named antagonists have even the slightest bit of loyalty to the Noble Alliance, they're either part of Ouroboros who are planning ???, or part of Crow's group whose goal was just to kill Osborne and now that that's over they're only hanging around because it's the path of least resistance. They have nothing against Rean, and Rean has nothing against them, and that makes sense to me. Arguably that's the whole point of the civil war storyline: just because you're on different sides doesn't mean you hate the other guys. In fact, often you wish you weren't fighting them?

I absolutely agree with this. The only person I really feel that Rean has a legit reason to hate is Crow. And it does bother me that he kinda gets let off for everything because of his backstory, but oh well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh maybe this just a difference of expectations. like to me trails is just a shonen manga with better worldbuilding than average. i have the same expectations of trails that i do of like, bleach.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

They have nothing against Rean, and Rean has nothing against them, and that makes sense to me.

What do you mean he has nothing against them? At the very least, he's got a bone to pick with the ILF, who tried to kill him and his classmates on multiple occasions, committed multiple terrorist attacks during Class VII's field studies, kidnapped Princess Alfin and Elise back in Heimdallr, and helped storm the Thors campus in CS1's ending. And then there's the Noble Alliance in general kidnapping Elise again and threatening to attack Ymir if Rean didn't come with them. This isn't some peaceful, diplomatic outreach on the NA's part. They're totally coercing Rean in this situation and he should be pretty pissed about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've seen Naruto, forgiving multiple war crimes is frankly amateur hour

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mcburn had just finished explaining about how some humans had non-human bits mixed in, and how he and rean were similar. but then came that line, which means he is in fact not human rather than a hybrid like rean. what else can q: "how much of you is non-human" a: "all of me" even mean? was he bullshitting to sound cool?

i don't care, it was exactly what i wanted to hear from someone named mcburn

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rean knows Ouroboros is run by a mix of cuckoolanders and edgelords who at any given time can decide that their plan was for their plan to fail, so his plan is to get as friendly as he can with them so they make more of their plan's fail so he can get everyone out as safely as possible. He also successfully recruits several of them to his side in the process.

Rean's a drat good headhunter for his Woman's NBA team he plans to make with the Stahlritter and Altina and Vita.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

MythosDragon posted:

Rean knows Ouroboros is run by a mix of cuckoolanders and edgelords who at any given time can decide that their plan was for their plan to fail, so his plan is to get as friendly as he can with them so they make more of their plan's fail so he can get everyone out as safely as possible. He also successfully recruits several of them to his side in the process.

I'd take playable Bleublanc in a heartbeat. Duvalie can come too but only if she brings her babysitters or McBurn along.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
(Major Ao spoilers)I knew that Grimwood was going to be one of the collaborators thanks to CS3 but I was not prepared for his reveal to be such an insane own on Dieter. God, I feel bad for the guy which I was not expecting at all. He literally did the :negative: pose during the reveal. Also got a hearty chuckle out of Kilika saying that Dieter being a good businessman did not translate into being a good politician.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
ALRIGHT. I finished Trails in the Sky 3 last night. I definitely enjoyed the story bites to flesh out characters and the world.
I think I will try and play the Crossbell games before ColdSteel 2. Is this the guide people used to buy em?

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

ALRIGHT. I finished Trails in the Sky 3 last night. I definitely enjoyed the story bites to flesh out characters and the world.
I think I will try and play the Crossbell games before ColdSteel 2. Is this the guide people used to buy em?

Yeah, Zero can be bought on DLSite legally. You're poo poo out of luck for the PC version of Ao, though. IIRC that one is China only and impossible to legally purchase outside of it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well that's great. Does Zero end on a cliffhanger or is it alright to play just that without hating your life haha?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It does not end on a cliffhanger. There's unresolved questions, but it's not the punch in the tits that Sky1 or Steel1 do.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Well that's great. Does Zero end on a cliffhanger or is it alright to play just that without hating your life haha?

I mean, if you're super anti-piracy, just purchase a console version of the game officially and then get the PC port via less-than-scrupulous means. You won't have to go through too many hoops to get the latter to work.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
all of this cs3 talk isn’t making me want to go back and finish it, even though I probably should.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Overbite posted:

all of this cs3 talk isn’t making me want to go back and finish it, even though I probably should.

CS3 gave us Juna and I'm genuinely grateful for that. The new class altogether is pretty darn good, I'd say.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Overbite posted:

It's still probably the best new JRPG I've played since Cold Steel 2, and I don't know how far I'd have to go back to find a non-Trails JRPG I'd prefer over it. Do not mistake me being harsh on it as a lack of caring about it as an overall JRPG experience.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Any criticisms I've made about any of the games pales in comparison to how much fun I do have playing them. You know what they say, you criticise what you love.

I mean I also criticise what I hate but this isn't a thread about myself heyooooooooo

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Me and a friend had a question, whats the final party count in CS 4?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 parties, that is

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hwurmp posted:

5 parties, that is

Allow me to Rephrase, How many characters do you get?

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

BrightWing posted:

The final dungeon gives you 39 characters to work with. 24 of those will form three parties to go through the dungeon FF6-style, and the rest get put into a reserve. Those aren't all the characters you use in the entire game, though. There's like 40-something playable characters in CS4.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

BrightWing posted:

I did the math a while back, and it was like 64. I think It might have been total playable across the series though, like how Towa is only playable in 2.

Edit: I redid the math CS has a total of 46, so I was close and reversed the numbers lol CS4 has 39 of them as mentioned above.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 19, 2020

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
That sounds ridiculous.

CS 4 when

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BrightWing posted:

That sounds ridiculous.

CS 4 when

Fall.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I mean CS3 already had like 25ish so that doesn't surprise me too much. Still somewhat ridiculous though.

Alright, lemme guess who those 39 are. Don't tell me how close I am, it'll be fun to look back later. Note that this contains CS3 spoilers, but I know barely anything about CS4.

Both classes VII is a given, maybe minus Millium, but definitely plus Crow. Assuming no Millium, that's 15 already, 16 with Sara. Then we'll add a nice spread of Sky and Crossbell: Estelle, Joshua, Renne, Tita, Agate, Lloyd, Elie, Tio, Randy, Rixia. That's 26. I suspect we win Sharon and Claire back, so 28. Aurelia is probably in, 29. There's no way Olivert is dead, 30; same for Angelica, 31. ...Eight more, huh. Hm. Well, my pet theory for all of CS3 that never happened but definitely was hinted at near the end was that Duvalie will eventually come to our side, so if we assume all three of those dorks, that's 34. Uuh. Hm. Didn't expect this to be so difficult. Josette, maybe? Patrick? If we add Millium back in and assume that Lechter is also somehow playable again that's 38, so as my final wildcard let's go with... Vita. Sure. Why not.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The worst part about CS4 is that it features previously playable characters without having them be playable, including 3 of my favorite characters smh.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just want a game where Agate and Laura smash things with big swords. Maybe throw in the Vanders to increase the sword to person ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I mean CS3 already had like 25ish so that doesn't surprise me too much. Still somewhat ridiculous though.

Alright, lemme guess who those 39 are. Don't tell me how close I am, it'll be fun to look back later. Note that this contains CS3 spoilers, but I know barely anything about CS4.

Both classes VII is a given, maybe minus Millium, but definitely plus Crow. Assuming no Millium, that's 15 already, 16 with Sara. Then we'll add a nice spread of Sky and Crossbell: Estelle, Joshua, Renne, Tita, Agate, Lloyd, Elie, Tio, Randy, Rixia. That's 26. I suspect we win Sharon and Claire back, so 28. Aurelia is probably in, 29. There's no way Olivert is dead, 30; same for Angelica, 31. ...Eight more, huh. Hm. Well, my pet theory for all of CS3 that never happened but definitely was hinted at near the end was that Duvalie will eventually come to our side, so if we assume all three of those dorks, that's 34. Uuh. Hm. Didn't expect this to be so difficult. Josette, maybe? Patrick? If we add Millium back in and assume that Lechter is also somehow playable again that's 38, so as my final wildcard let's go with... Vita. Sure. Why not.
Toval? And probabaly Thomas and/or Roselia.

MythosDragon posted:

The worst part about CS4 is that it features previously playable characters without having them be playable, including 3 of my favorite characters smh.
Im mad Elise and Alfin were only playable for like 5 minutes each of CS2.