Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They should probably just write on the Priest Tooltip - 'When you don't want to ever climb the ladder, you just want to gently caress about with anyone else climbing the ladder'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Quetzadilla posted:

Holy moly I actually beat a resurrection priest, but only by virtue of some lucky togs making me a pseudo resurrection priest. Not sure if it would've been easier or harder if I had Flik. I'm guessing Flik doesn't remove copies from the graveyard though, so they can still be resurrected?

There is no actual graveyard in Hearthstone in generall. Mechanically a minion disappears once hit e dies and resurrection only works because it checks the list of minions that entered that "death" sequence due to that. Reno, on the other hand, does specifically not trigger a death as they vanish, mechanically meaning they go away without triggering the death sequence, thus are exempt from resurrection and similar things. Every single other instance of getting rid of a minion currently available in Standard always ends with a death sequence, including Flik and other shenanigans.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Can Alex give copies of itself? I think that's what just happened to me and it hurt real bad.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Quetzadilla posted:

Can Alex give copies of itself? I think that's what just happened to me and it hurt real bad.

That was specifically patched out back in January. If it actually happened (hovering over the card in the history will show if a card was generated and by what) then that's a bona fide bug.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
people have been discussing making her undiscoverable but I don't think that's happened yet so your opponent may have just gotten lucky

or Warlocks can get multiple Alex with Expired Merchant

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Navaash posted:

That was specifically patched out back in January. If it actually happened (hovering over the card in the history will show if a card was generated and by what) then that's a bona fide bug.

Thanks I'm just a dumbass. Managed to get the replay to work on mobile finally and they used Elise to dupe her earlier.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

people have been discussing making her undiscoverable but I don't think that's happened yet so your opponent may have just gotten lucky

or Warlocks can get multiple Alex with Expired Merchant

Things that discover or generate random dragons can create DQAs but DQA can’t create another copy of herself.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Anyone else messed around with Stealth Rogue much since launch? I've been trying it since the nerfs got announced, though I gather Galakrond rogue doesn't bother with either stealth or secrets in particular right now.

The main issue I have is, as with all rogue decks these days, too many 3 drops.

I also wonder if Galakrond Warrior might be able to come back into vogue with things slowing down a tad.

DH nerfs are unneeded IMO, class isn't even tier 1 now let alone dominating it.

What does tier 1 mean in the context? It seems very highly represented in GM. Do you mean legend ladder? If so, I that's a very interesting point. I think it's generally accepted that developers should balance around the top players within reason. But when legend and tournaments diverge, I have no idea what the right way to do it is.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Welp any dream of making a midrange DH is definitely dead now, if it wasn't before already.

I don't know if that's gonna save Pure Paladin now but it'll be interesting to see how it fares next expansion. The little buffs to the Libram cards could be a good foundation for whatever new class cards they get next.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, they’ve also said that the librams are going to be a one-expansion mechanic, not a yearlong thing like the Lackeys, so Paladins in general are probably going to continue to be screwed unless they go all-in on stupidly good cards for the rest of the year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

yikes! posted:

What does tier 1 mean in the context? It seems very highly represented in GM. Do you mean legend ladder? If so, I that's a very interesting point. I think it's generally accepted that developers should balance around the top players within reason. But when legend and tournaments diverge, I have no idea what the right way to do it is.

Sometimes they nerf cards/archetypes because people are playing them too much. IIRC the original Rogue quest got nerfed like 4 times because people just wouldn't stop playing it even though it had like a 40% win rate. So now that their darling has been played to death maybe Blizz is ready for a more balanced playing meta.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Sometimes they nerf cards/archetypes because people are playing them too much. IIRC the original Rogue quest got nerfed like 4 times because people just wouldn't stop playing it even though it had like a 40% win rate. So now that their darling has been played to death maybe Blizz is ready for a more balanced playing meta.

Wow so all those GMs were incorrectly bringing DH?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

yikes! posted:

Wow so all those GMs were incorrectly bringing DH?

I’m talking about AFTER the nerfs tomorrow.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mayveena posted:

I’m talking about AFTER the nerfs tomorrow.

Alright you quoted my post so I thought it was a response to me. Sorry

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

They nerfed Quest Rogue despite the sub-50 winrate because it effectively completely shut out control decks from the meta (since it led to everyone using decks that were even faster than QR).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shockeh posted:

They should probably just write on the Priest Tooltip - 'When you don't want to ever climb the ladder, you just want to gently caress about with anyone else climbing the ladder'.

:hmmyes:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

yikes! posted:

Tournaments and legend ladder. Warrior is the lone member of Tier 1 at these levels.

This balance patch was aimed for the general playerbase.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Imagine a deck that was basically unbeatable but also nearly impossible to play to that level. Some kind of extreme version of patron or enrage warrior.

What about back when bots could get over 50% winrates playing simple decks? Were those decks OP because they had a really high floor?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
decided I'm gonna dust some legendaries to build myself an actual good Standard deck, which of these would people say are safe to dust? these are what I've got which don't seem to see any play even in Wild

Goru the Mightree (golden)
Lucentbark
Tyrantus
The Marsh Queen
Boommaster Flark
Sir Finley of the Sands
The Glass Knight
Chameleos
Face Collector
Hallazeal the Ascended
High Priestess Jeklik
Blood-Queen Lana'Thel
Hir'eek the Bat
Woecleaver
The Boomship
Nat Pagle
Moroes
Harbinger Celestia
The Beast (golden)
Marin the Fox
Nozdormu
Deathwing Dragonlord (golden)

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

decided I'm gonna dust some legendaries to build myself an actual good Standard deck, which of these would people say are safe to dust? these are what I've got which don't seem to see any play even in Wild

Goru the Mightree (golden)
Lucentbark
Tyrantus
The Marsh Queen
Boommaster Flark
Sir Finley of the Sands
The Glass Knight
Chameleos
Face Collector
Hallazeal the Ascended
High Priestess Jeklik
Blood-Queen Lana'Thel
Hir'eek the Bat
Woecleaver
The Boomship
Nat Pagle
Moroes
Harbinger Celestia
The Beast (golden)
Marin the Fox
Nozdormu
Deathwing Dragonlord (golden)

Marin the Fox is uncraftable so you also can’t dust it unless you spent 3200 dust on the golden version. Other than that I don’t see anything that gets serious play right now, though I’d advise that you might want to at least hang on to cards that are still in Standard in case they end up becoming good sometime later this year.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Face Collector and Jeklik showed up in legit decks once upon a time, but I don’t know if Wild allows that anymore. Marsh Queen is fun to gently caress around with but probably not very good. Tyrantus and Deathwing are cool but they’re also 10 mana do nothing cards. The rest don’t get played even ironically so I wouldn’t feel bad about dusting them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

also there's a balance patch today, highly recommended to wait on crafting until players figure out what's playable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In BG meta news, players have started exploring the possibilities of the 3/1 lizard: Like some Pyramad players are going Turn 1: roll 3 times to find it. Then:

Stay on Tier 1 until you find two golden lizards

Stay on Tier 2 to build up deathrattle buffs

Hyper level to Tier 6 in Top 3 if you need a poison Mackeral

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Bought a pack on a lark, got a gold Ysiel. :toot:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Interesting discussion featuring Firebat regarding zoo warlock in the Grand Masters this past weekend. From Reddit. There's a lot that he said (scroll down) that was very interesting and something for me to learn from. Also addresses yikes questions from earlier in the thread. They were asking if ladder and GM are different and Firebat addressed that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Also what does 'being greedy' mean (in the game of course). Frodan loves to say that and I don't understand exactly what he means.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Trying to get more value out of your cards at the cost of tempo, usually to the point that you lose control of the match.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Like playing a bunch of weenie minions for a final rush on the next turn... when your opponent is about to have the mana to play their common board clear(s). You’re basically gambling on them not having it, since they can completely reverse the course of the match if they do play it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mayveena posted:

Also what does 'being greedy' mean (in the game of course). Frodan loves to say that and I don't understand exactly what he means.
It's supposed to mean playing excessively for value (so a greedy deck would have a high curve, low tempo card draw, etc). People have started recently using it to mean playing into a specific card in the hopes they aren't punished which is really weird, the situation the poster above me described is almost the opposite of greedy as it's conventionally used especially given that good players stop playing around cards when they're behind (greed, more conventionally, would be more like trying to play around everything so that all your cards get maximum value). The word's used in enough different ways now that it's not very useful.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
greed is when your opponent has five minions and you could flamestrike them right now but if you wait one more turn they might play out additional dudes first

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
It mostly seems to be used for high risk, high reward plays done voluntarily rather than because you have to try it or you’ll lose.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Greedy play: Waiting to use a card because you think you can squeeze more value. For example, waiting to play Battle Rage hoping for more cards instad of getting just the 2 you can get right then.
Greedy cards: Slow cards that help with the control matchups at the cost of making the deck worse against everything else. Elysiana is like the poster child for this type of card.
Greedy deck: Deck made mostly of greedy cards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

yook posted:

It mostly seems to be used for high risk, high reward plays done voluntarily rather than because you have to try it or you’ll lose.
You're not wrong that greedy has started being used for what you're saying. I just don't get why.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks!!!! I do that too much and that's one of the reasons I'm not progressing. Gonna try to watch more GM stuff from last weekend as well.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

If you haven't seen it already, Tom Wayland aka MeatiHS posted a quite practical picture guide on how hearthstone turns could or should be structured. Anyone struggling finding an efficient way to play the game and think about turns might find it quite helpful:

These in-turn steps are supposed to all work inside the total 75 seconds you have per round, so basically you are supposed to go through them one by one and execute before the timer goes boom. Then:

IME it's neat to get a feeling for the structure of the thought process you can put into a turn in Hearthstone, it allows you to leave the gut feeling play you usually develop after a while behind and avoid misplays. Also, you get a better feeling of your own deck and whether and how it works if you go through the bits one by one, as if you're playing a deck that cannot find a proper answer to above questions given certain common situations, you might need to improve something to match it with your play style.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you magnetize a golden replicating menace do you get the triple card?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Chernabog posted:

If you magnetize a golden replicating menace do you get the triple card?

Edit: I set out to test it and it does.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man, I'm sad I didn't save Priestesses after the second round of nerfs. Still came away from the patch with 10k dust though.

I'll probably turn a bunch of that back into the cards that I dusted but hey, now I have the choice. :toot:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Legend is the new dad legend. I went from never bothering to hit legend to hitting it while at work. I managed to climb with this fun mess of cards, beating a sea of demon hunters and other non-warriors who did not respect my damage from hand:

### Burn
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Elven Archer
# 2x (1) Leper Gnome
# 2x (1) Plague of Flames
# 2x (1) Sinister Deal
# 2x (1) Soulfire
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) EVIL Cable Rat
# 2x (2) EVIL Genius
# 2x (2) Expired Merchant
# 2x (2) Kobold Sandtrooper
# 2x (2) Nether Breath
# 2x (4) Nightshade Matron
# 2x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Crazed Netherwing
# 1x (5) Dark Pharaoh Tekahn
# 2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan
#
AAECAcn1AgLtBYKlAw6FA5IFzgeNCLSRA4idA/qkA/2kA/OnA52pA+WsA+ysA7W5A7a5AwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Legend is the new dad legend.

Yeah the new system removes a good chunk of the grind that was previously needed and a lot of people have much more free time on their hands these days. A lot of “Dad legend” players like us who had the skill to hit legend but not the time to grind their way there are now finding it much easier due to those overlapping factors.