Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

coconono posted:

the PC's a crossfit deathcamp. You're not gonna learn how to properly wrestle there. You will however, be jacked as poo poo with hosed up joints.
I wonder if as Regal is telling his son to go to Japan he refuses to make eye-contact and young Regal is like dad, dad look at me. It's ok. Dad what's wrong? Why are you looking down?

"Your knees... They're so beautiful...and unexploded..."

Also apparently his son looks like a young Kenny Omega. That has to be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol the loving nerve of this guy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

According to Alvarez on WOL Drew Gulak's contract ended because he asked for a raise when negotiating a new one and WWE yanked the contract they'd offered him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Carlisle posted:

And you used to get the poo poo beaten out of you by Hugh Morris and Bob Holly but now you probably get the poo poo beaten out of you by two different unsuccessful midcarders

I mean, who would you rather learn from? Someone with the experience of Jushin Liger, or Lacey Evans?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiderdrake posted:

Wouldn't you? Even if your plan is to go to WWE and get the big dollars, even if the performance center wasn't the shittiest part of the already lovely NXT, there's so little chance going through the PC will do your career well. Vince is impressed by people outside his system, once you're in NXT, most people get nothing.

Even forum claimed "blessed" Corbin has 1 belt and piles of lovely feuds.

It all depends on how someone defines their career. Some people view the accolades, others the fame, and others making enough money to leave with your body intact.

Corbin gets TV time every week, works a style that is not hard on his body, and is making main roster money. Do you think he cares about never being a world champion or being in lovely feuds?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
yea, is/was there ever a championship $$$ bonus? ie. you get a bonus for winning/holding a belt? or is it really just bitcoins for wrestlers.

(obviously not including extra t-shirts sales commission if you some how become relevant :haw: )

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm the passed out guy in a hoodie, AND the black guy whose face is just pure anger that he has to listen to this piece of poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

yea, is/was there ever a championship $$$ bonus? ie. you get a bonus for winning/holding a belt? or is it really just bitcoins for wrestlers.

(obviously not including extra t-shirts sales commission if you some how become relevant :haw: )

Champions get to ride first class on flights.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Who was that again, Blue Meanie or something? lol Undertaker stole his air miles. Undertaker Always Bad, Then, Now, Forever

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hirez posted:

I mean, there’s definitely perks. Former WWE Champion Jinder Mahal will likely make a lot more money on the indys than former member of 3MB Jinder would have, for one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Corbin gets TV time every week, works a style that is not hard on his body, and is making main roster money. Do you think he cares about never being a world champion or being in lovely feuds?
Why does "being in lovely feuds" not matter but "is on TV every week" is given as a positive? You imagine being in a stable with Ziggler and another Ziggler is moving a ton of merch? (But yeah, I do actually think Corbin has learned to not give a poo poo and that's why he remains pushed)

And main roster money is a pretty wide range. You think he's making more than Nakamura, Balor or AJ Styles? Because that's the point here: Go through the system and be Corbin at best or go through NJPW and get treated better after having done your art. If you're Regal advising your wrestleson, I think it'd be pretty clear. I'm not saying Corbin is doing all that bad, but that's the ceiling unless you break out with something like the Shield, family connection, 4HW, etc. Even Drew left WWE and built something of himself to come back to NXT.

Plus like I said that's ignoring the fact Regal must be absolutely aware of the fact the performance center and NXT is some kind of ligament exploding crossfit Hell. I've heard Matt Bloom isn't a bad guy either but the injuries are just mind-boggling. How is HHH not keenly aware that injuries weaken your career? Oh because him and HBK have no introspection, right.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm lolin' imagining the next slide being that shot of someone eating a donut out of Gallows' rear end

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It makes sense if you see NXT as a place to store wrestlers and strangle any competition.

It also makes sense that a success elsewhere actually is more respected by Vince than "some 22 year old mark who always dreamed of being in WWE" coming up through the performance center

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perhaps a percentage of people would select baron corbin as their ideal self

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
drat WWE, this thread is like a fire that doesn't stop having coal shoveled into it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Golden Gloves boxer turned Chilli's Bartender cosplay enthusiast. Sounds great to me

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiderdrake posted:

And main roster money is a pretty wide range. You think he's making more than Nakamura, Balor or AJ Styles? Because that's the point here: Go through the system and be Corbin at best or go through NJPW and get treated better after having done your art.

Oh god no, Corbin isn't making AJ Styles money. But I think that Corbin being the ceiling of the performance center is not only reflective of the PC system, but the people that join it. These people that are completely PC made are not the kind of people I see going to NJPW to do their art and then get paid in their later years.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Alexa and Charlotte are the ceiling of the PC.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

World Champion BRAUN anyone?

e: or did he not goto through PC? I thought he went from strongman --> pc --> wwe

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his name was originally braun stowman. i don't know why they made it strowman. probably because

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hirez posted:

e: or did he not goto through PC? I thought he went from strongman --> pc --> wwe

Braun is a PC project

Braun has been exposed and probably wouldn't be champion if the WWE didn't feel like punishing Roman for caring about his health

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cavauro posted:

his name was originally braun stowman. i don't know why they made it strowman. probably because

Wasn't Aron Stevens (or whatever) originally Damien Sandnow and then they changed it to Sandow?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The PC is really good at teaching people how to have exactly one (1) match over and over until the loving sun explodes

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't Aron Stevens (or whatever) originally Damien Sandnow and then they changed it to Sandow?

Funnily enough that guy’s career is just sad, now

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
that ceiling fan is the ceiling of the performance center

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blaise330 posted:

Let that be a lesson to those who like NXT!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Blaise330 posted:

The ceiling fan got a t-shirt, which is better than a lot of people at the PC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

extradite THIS! posted:

Funnily enough that guy’s career is just sad, now

The stuff he's doing in the NWA is far more entertaining than anything happening in the WWE

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Davros1 posted:

The stuff he's doing in the NWA is far more entertaining than anything happening in the WWE

I know, I just wanted to make that joke

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hirez posted:

When people say the ceiling, I don't think we mean top accolade. When you have two World Titles it is very easy to just throw one of the belts on anyone. We had WWE Champion Jinder Mahal... but he wasn't billed as the top star at the time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Astro7x posted:

When people say the ceiling, I don't think we mean top accolade. When you have two World Titles it is very easy to just throw one of the belts on anyone. We had WWE Champion Jinder Mahal... but he wasn't billed as the top star at the time.

Wasn't that at the same time Brock was loving off for months with the Universal title? And they wonder why people don't give a poo poo anymore.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Braun was a PC guy but never appeared on NXT.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Carlisle posted:

he isn't wrong, technically

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

fatherofmustard posted:

Alexa and Charlotte are the ceiling of the PC.

Even then, Charlotte had an extra step up being a legacy of one of the biggest wrestlers in history.

Alexa and like most people said, Braun, are probably the best examples of completely homegrown talent they have.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Charlotte started training under Lodi before going into the PC.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deonna Purrazzo gave some more thoughts in the aftermath of her release on WrestlingInc's podcast https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/05/deonna-purrazzo-calls-wwe-decision-to-ask-talent-to-perform-670444/

Deonna on working during the plague posted:

I never felt unsafe because I felt that this was my job and what I have to do and I'm getting paid for it. There's a lot of people that need a job and aren't getting paid so I'm grateful for that. But on the flip side, I thought it was very presumptuous to be asking people to make that choice – do you wanna work or do you not? To say, 'Oh, it won't be held against you' but we all know how wrestling works and it probably will. It was just a really sticky situation for people to navigate.

Deonna on Zayn and if he got punished for taking them at their word posted:

That's the thing – they tell you it's not gonna be held against you but things like that happen. I think as wrestlers we're bred to not take time off. We're anxious about things like this happening. If I get hurt then the title gets taken off of me. Or if I'm sick then I lose my TV opportunity. Then if I'm off TV for three weeks then I'm off TV for three months. All of these things trickle so you can't really say it doesn't get held against you when missing one week of TV could be detrimental to your career.

Deonna on a union posted:

I think it would definitely be beneficial but I don't know that everyone will be on board. That's one of the things – you need 100 percent of the body to be a part of. I feel like it would be a real struggle to get some of those top guys to agree to anything because they're taken care of. I don't really have an opinion on it because I'm kinda ignorant to all of that. I just feel that as much as we push, you need 100 percent and if you're not gonna have 100 percent, it's never gonna work. The bottom is the bottom and the top is the top and there is a big gap in between. To get those people to reconcile and agree on things, it would be hard.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Taynara Conti interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfJVsZ5Z1fE

Taynara posted:

I need to get better and think about my future and feel that I'm useful. In the last couple of months, I was not feeling that anymore.

I was trying to have conversations, asking for opportunities. I never asked for something big. I never asked for a TakeOver match or title shot. I was in the same spot for a long time, doing 3-4 minute matches to put someone else over and I was not able to show what I was able to do. Give me a 10 minute, 50/50 match, and I can show more about my character and what I do in the ring. A two-minute match, I can't do much. If the match is for someone else, I need to make them look good. At first, okay, that was my time to put people over. It's okay, I don't mind.

But at some point, I was like, 'I have been doing the same thing for a long time. It's time to get better and show them more about me.' I would never do a promo and that was frustrating for me. 'You guys keep saying I'm good and will be a star.' All the feedback was amazing. I pitched like 100 different gimmicks. And they were like, 'No, keep doing what you're doing.' I tried to change my hair, my gimmick, and they were like, 'No, don't change, the opportunity is coming.' The opportunity never came. So, I was not happy.

I asked them, 'What about me?' 'Well, there's people coming with more experience.' In my mind, I was like, 'If you keep signing people with more experience and you don't use me, why sign people that don't come from pro wrestling? Am I wasting my time here?' That was my feeling. I was like, 'What if I go wrestle outside and come back and have experience.' It just wasn't working. It was comfortable to have money every week, but I'm 24, I'm not scared of work. I wasn't happy anymore.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's almost like the international signings were a cynical play at "diversity" while expanding into new markets and they had no intention of actually doing anything with the talent. Weird.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Benne posted:

It's almost like the international signings were a cynical play at "diversity" while expanding into new markets and they had no intention of actually doing anything with the talent. Weird.

But Eric Bischoff was only brought on board to be a scapegoat last year (?), way after they made those signings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I would not have put her on TV at all for several years but that's my own personal preference. What little tape I saw of her, she was not ready to simply walk in front of the camera. A lot of that comes from confidence, which is a real hard thing to explain to some folks.