Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've finally finished breeding up all the shinies I wanted in Ultra Sun and Moon and I'm about to get my breeding game on in sword and shield. Out of curiosity is naughty a good nature to give a dragapult? I'm seeing a lot of modest/timid sets but it's attack isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Flopsy posted:

I've finally finished breeding up all the shinies I wanted in Ultra Sun and Moon and I'm about to get my breeding game on in sword and shield. Out of curiosity is naughty a good nature to give a dragapult? I'm seeing a lot of modest/timid sets but it's attack isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Its physical move pool isn't as good as its special(it only gets Phantom Force as a physical ghost move). And a Speed boosting nature is better no matter what because you don't want stuff outspeeding it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there a good site that explains some of the basic concepts and strategies doubles? I've found bits and pieces here and there, but a lot of what I've seen hasn't been updated in years (so I'm not sure how mechanics/viable pokemon have changed) or have articles that go into huge depth about advanced mechanics but don't have much info on the fundamentals.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Is there a good site that explains some of the basic concepts and strategies doubles? I've found bits and pieces here and there, but a lot of what I've seen hasn't been updated in years (so I'm not sure how mechanics/viable pokemon have changed) or have articles that go into huge depth about advanced mechanics but don't have much info on the fundamentals.

https://pikalytics.com/pokedex/

Wolfe glicke and Aaron zheng youtube channels are good.

Nugget Bridge used to be the vgc equivalent of the smogon forums but I think it's dead now so the smogon vgc forums are fine

When I'm home ill look at my bookmarks and post the guides I have there

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Raid event has switched to gigantamax Eevee.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Generation III content got released today in the continuing series of leaks.

I'm not seeing people finding anything exciting on the beta/unused pokemon front, but there's actually quite a few PDF files from Emerald development showing what they want events to look like in MSPaint.

https://twitter.com/eclipse_tt/status/1262458741036855298

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'd like to reiterate I loving hate when people give hacked mons stupid loving names especially when not nicknaming them leaves them open to being given name you want. Mercifully I already have a shiny eevee and don't give a drat about gigantmaxing one.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading the X*Y arc of Pokemon Adventures over the last week or so and it is so, so good.

I love that they utilise the three other friends by having the five kids actually travelling together, I love that they flimsily try to include the fact that character customisation was introduced in these games by having Y be like "I bought all these new clothes for us to use as disguises while we're on the run!" even though she's immediately shot down by the others, I love that even though the adults are still completely oblivious to Lysandre being the Most Obvious Villain in the World the kids figure it out as soon as they meet him and the giant dork Sycamore has to be like "I was such a giant idiot dork, you guys!," I love that Zygarde is actually being tied into the plot by having Blue show up and be like "oh yeah, when something like this happened in Hoenn there was a third legendary that acted as a negating force, so I've come to investigate that" and then it showing up instead of it just sitting there in Pokemon Village or whatever the go was in the games

and I love just all the cute little Pokemon action and details you get in these comics that I'd kind of forgotten about

i've got six chapters left so I guess it might foul it up in the ending but this has been really good and made me feel a lot more fondly about gen 6 (where my previous feelings were basically "yeah, this was fine" and then basically moving on not long after finishing the story).

also got me feeling the obligatory "bring back things like Mega Absol as actual evolutions, Game Freak." i need my Fabsol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

also got me feeling the obligatory "bring back things like Mega Absol as actual evolutions, Game Freak." i need my Fabsol

:hmmyes:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Homora Gaykemi posted:

What this would mean re: Eviolite/held items for the evos though... :stonklol:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

What this would mean re: Eviolite/held items for the evos though... :stonklol:

obviously some of them would have to be cut (mostly the ones that would wind up as fourth stages) and you'd have to rebalance others, but there's no reason a bunch of them couldn't be reincorporated in as actual Pokemon if they never plan on bringing Mega Evolution back

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Really wish Mega Absol pumped its +100 stat boost into its paper-thin defenses, because it still evaporates if anything so much as breathes within six regions of it

Would've been interesting in they made all the Gen IV evos (Roserade, Tangrowth, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Togekiss, Electivire, Magmortar, Rhyperior, etc) into Mega Evolutions

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 20, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Same reason they gave it to Audino and Slowbro

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

obviously some of them would have to be cut (mostly the ones that would wind up as fourth stages) and you'd have to rebalance others, but there's no reason a bunch of them couldn't be reincorporated in as actual Pokemon if they never plan on bringing Mega Evolution back

There is, and that reason is Game Freak.

It's very seldom they'll do things like that which retcon what a Pokemon is categorized. That is to say, there won't be a day when Munchlax isn't a baby Pokemon, or Zorua suddenly is. Case in point: Nidoran.

There are now at least two Pokemon (Meowstic and Indeedee) whose gender differences are functionally identical to those displayed by the male and female Nidorans: different appearances, different movesets, and now with the latter of my examples, different stats. By all logic, Nidoran should really only be one Pokemon.

Yet they likely won't ever collapse or otherwise alter segments of the National Pokedex. This is why, despite regional listings and Pokedexes, you won't ever see Pichu as Pokemon No. 25 in the National order. They tried it in Gold and Silver with "Old/New Pokedex" orders, but it didn't take.

Back around to the point, they've spent a lot of time building up the branding of Mega Pokemon as their own thing. Mega Stones as a mechanic are inextricably bound to the Mega Evolution, like we see in Pokemon Let's Go where you still need the right rock to make your Pokemon go super. To make them into regular evolutions would invalidate all the money they've put into the lore and branding of Megas. And just look at how they put out an entire video celebrating the return of them in Sun and Moon!

Plus they've got them in their back pocket as a thing to joyously announce the return of, like the day-night cycle. If they do a remake in Sinnoh, for instance, they have an easy point of entry in the lore to have the Megas return. After all, Professor Rowan is really into evolution.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Plus the anime and all the spinoffs still use Megas as Megas. Its part of pokemon, not just the rpgs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Pokemon professors talk about the Nidorans, do they say it like "Nidoran the Boy" or "Nidoran the Girl" when clarifying which one they're talking about?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nidoran Venus, and Nidoran Mars.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i've got six chapters left so I guess it might foul it up in the ending but this has been really good and made me feel a lot more fondly about gen 6 (where my previous feelings were basically "yeah, this was fine" and then basically moving on not long after finishing the story).

It doesn't. XY is a great arc from the beginning to the end. It's one of my favourites, behind RS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still think mega evolution as a unique mechanic is a lot more fun that just giving things new evolutions, due to the item trade off and one per team restriction. Especially since the majority of mega evolutions look like [monster]-Plus, rather than another step in that mons evolutionary line.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I still think mega evolution as a unique mechanic is a lot more fun that just giving things new evolutions, due to the item trade off and one per team restriction. Especially since the majority of mega evolutions look like [monster]-Plus, rather than another step in that mons evolutionary line.

I for one don't want mega-salamence or mega-metagross to be able to hold a choice band/scarf

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

Also as much as we all rightfully poo poo talk mega-lucario/gross and the mega/primal legendaries, the majority of megas went to mostly middling pokemon and made them actually interesting and usable, which G/DMax don't really do since they're just Z-Moves with +HP attached to them and Z-Moves were just there to gently caress up walls/stall basically.

Megas and Z moves worked pretty well together, you got 1 of each per team, they cost item slots which can be huge, and they couldn't be on the same pokemon so you couud do some actual team design and strategizing around them or even use the weirder gimmick z moves instead of the pure power ones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On the other hand, it would make me very happy to know that I'll be able to make good use of Mawile whenever it shows up.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
AHHHH it's Blaine!! I guess I probably could've guessed that he'd show up here since you can catch that Pokemon in the cave in Pokemon Village, I just wasn't really thinking about it I guess.

The Golden Gael posted:

Back around to the point, they've spent a lot of time building up the branding of Mega Pokemon as their own thing. Mega Stones as a mechanic are inextricably bound to the Mega Evolution, like we see in Pokemon Let's Go where you still need the right rock to make your Pokemon go super. To make them into regular evolutions would invalidate all the money they've put into the lore and branding of Megas. And just look at how they put out an entire video celebrating the return of them in Sun and Moon!

Plus they've got them in their back pocket as a thing to joyously announce the return of, like the day-night cycle. If they do a remake in Sinnoh, for instance, they have an easy point of entry in the lore to have the Megas return. After all, Professor Rowan is really into evolution.

Fair enough point. It's not even that I particularly dislike Mega Evolution, I enjoyed it enough as a mechanic when I played through the gen 6 campaign and it's used well in this Pokemon Adventure comics, it's just that with it abandoned in the current games I really miss my Fabsol and feel like Pokemon like Pinsir, Heracross, Mawile, and Sableye deserve evolutions and their Mega designs are already most of the way there and would just need rejiggering for balance to work as real Pokemon.

You're right that they'll keep it in their back pocket to be like "look what we're bringing back!!" though.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't. XY is a great arc from the beginning to the end. It's one of my favourites, behind RS.

Yeah, I've just finished it now. What a heckin' good Pokemon story.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also as much as we all rightfully poo poo talk mega-lucario/gross and the mega/primal legendaries, the majority of megas went to mostly middling pokemon and made them actually interesting and usable, which G/DMax don't really do since they're just Z-Moves with +HP attached to them and Z-Moves were just there to gently caress up walls/stall basically.

Megas and Z moves worked pretty well together, you got 1 of each per team, they cost item slots which can be huge, and they couldn't be on the same pokemon so you couud do some actual team design and strategizing around them or even use the weirder gimmick z moves instead of the pure power ones.

I don't agree with respect to Gigantamax. I think that even if you drop Dynamaxing, these transformations often give Pokemon interesting attributes on top of buffing ones that haven't always been the best. Coalossal, Butterfree, Lapras, and Pikachu all become quite competitive with their respective forms thanks to the HP boost and the exclusive move.

quote:

Fair enough point. It's not even that I particularly dislike Mega Evolution, I enjoyed it enough as a mechanic when I played through the gen 6 campaign and it's used well in this Pokemon Adventure comics, it's just that with it abandoned in the current games I really miss my Fabsol and feel like Pokemon like Pinsir, Heracross, Mawile, and Sableye deserve evolutions and their Mega designs are already most of the way there and would just need rejiggering for balance to work as real Pokemon.
One of the things I make a point of doing when replaying USUM is getting the Key Stone and Battle Tree stones before doing Episode RR, because it just makes it that much more climatic. At some point I'll have to use an Alakazam so I can just skip the Tree detour.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 21, 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Better yet we could just never see Megas again because they're ugly as sin and I hate the whole "Super Saiyan" gimmick that they've used for three generations in a row now with slightly different flavoring.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
powering up for one final attack is very anime, actually, and pokemon is very anime

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should use a good anime trope for once, like schrodingers meowth.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Better yet we could just never see Megas again because they're ugly as sin and I hate the whole "Super Saiyan" gimmick that they've used for three generations in a row now with slightly different flavoring.

Not all of them you killjoy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They should bring back elemental gems too.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

They should bring back elemental gems too.

Still funny to me that Acrobatics+Flying Gem was strong enough to get the whole lot nerfed and made unobtainable all at the same time the gen right after.
Anyways, they should be brought back but unnerfed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Acrobatics+Flying Gem was basically a z-move, wasn't it? You need a specific hold item that has no other purpose, it's just one type, hits like an absolute truck.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Acrobatics+Flying Gem was basically a z-move, wasn't it? You need a specific hold item that has no other purpose, it's just one type, hits like an absolute truck.

Yeah but talon flame was the bird of choice and that meant even after the priority 180 BP acro you still got priority 120bp acro afterwards.

This was pre nerf gale wings

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah but talon flame was the bird of choice and that meant even after the priority 180 BP acro you still got priority 120bp acro afterwards.

This was pre nerf gale wings

Acrobatics+Flying gem was Gen 5, Talonflame was too late for that. But what could have been...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm enjoying SoulSilver, but man the level swings. Going from the trainers and grass pokemon outside still being in the teens but then you go into the gym and the 'mons are in the mid 30s.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rick posted:

I'm enjoying SoulSilver, but man the level swings. Going from the trainers and grass pokemon outside still being in the teens but then you go into the gym and the 'mons are in the mid 30s.

Wait till you get to Kanto, where the wild Pokemon are around the levels they were at in RBY (so Level 2 on Route 1 for instance) but even the Bug Catchers are all Endgame level..

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I admit I'm also not a fan of the power-up gimmicks of the last three gens; Z-Moves are my favourite of the three but I don't like how they basically served the exact same purpose as Gems, but with flashier animations.

It just always felt weird to me to have one-time powerup Items for specific types, remove them and make Fairy Gem completely unobtainable, and then make an incredibly similar replacement that feels the same put trying to grab style points.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

One issue with mega evolutions is that since they can't increase HP they make everything even more rocket tag and the defensive ones can't do that much. Comparatively, Dynamaxing *only* increases HP and gives access to better moves, so it works as more of a survival tactic. Mega Evolutions with a limited time of activation would be interesting to see how they balance out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Yeah, I've just finished it now. What a heckin' good Pokemon story.

Glad to hear that! Loved the manga back in the day, but back in the day it was :files: all the way and it became impossible to follow when Black and White started. I really should buy the past decade of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rick posted:

Good way to play SS is to use one consistent team throughout the game. Everything levels fairly balanced without having to grind, and it’s great to look at the pictures taken along your journey.