Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

So I bought this little movie player the size of a deck of cards on Amazon, it had an HDMI port. Even came with a little remote.

I thought about that or a RaspberryPi but people wanted a solution that "just works" and stuck with Win10 and Powerpoint. This is the first company I've worked at that wasn't scraping together money and begging for a larger budget so it's weird to not take the cheap route and put something neat together, and instead just do the quickest way and move onto other stuff.

Edit: Snipe tax

IT HAVE YOU TURNT IT OFF AND ON YET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqRpar4PyE

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

silicone thrills posted:

This is basically what my companys lobby TV is as well. It's hilariously simple and it makes everyone happy.

Wait, you mean this is all my life has been missing all these years?

:smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I carry around a usb of butthole pics to stick in random TV's

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
just remember that you had to collect butthole pics. not sue who comes out ahead here.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nah just use a curation service

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If you want curated buttholes you should turn off your monitor.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol main website in down because dude hosed up dns again. Ignoring it and drinking. Good luck buddy!

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 18, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can edit DNS
But I don't do it
Because it's DNS

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

CollegeCop posted:

What's pissing me off today?

"Known Issue" that 3rd level teams "know" about, but apparently do not plan to do anything about

When we connect to our VPN, there is apparently some back-end encryption going on. While this encryption is being negotiated, Win10 gives the yellow Alert! triangle on the network connection, which shows No Internet Connection when you hover over it. Sometimes it takes a little time to clear. And sometimes, the encryption never completes and the icon never clears.

Which isn't that big of deal because, despite what Windows tells you, you actually do have a network/internet connection. Web pages load, you can access network drives, Skype/Teams work. Almost everything function just fine without that encryption.

Notice I said "almost". The exception? Office - most notable to the end user - Outlook. It simply refuses to connect to the Exchange server if the encryption is not finalized. Office products will also not connect to your Office account, but that is mostly transparent and you can still use them, so users tend to not notice.

The only fix is to wait to open Outlook until the yellow triangle goes away. And if it doesn't clear in 10-15 minutes, disconnecting from vpn and reconnecting in the hopes of getting another server.

We (Desktop) noticed this problem back in July/August, and sent a ticket up to 3rd level - Collaborations and Network Security. In the 8/9 months since, the ticket has not been updated by either team. We have linked literally hundreds of tickets to this one ticket, and get multiple calls on it daily.

The teams obviously are aware of the problem, as evidenced by the occasional ticket that gets escalated to them when, despite our best efforts, we cannot get a user connected to Exchange. Those tickets are rapidly kicked back with the note "Known issue - have user switch vpn connections per ticket #xxxxx".

On a related note, I am tired of listening to users insist that connecting to the vpn "disconnects them from the internet", even after I have demonstrated that they are, indeed, still connected to the internet. "But Windows says No Internet Connection!"

Update on this -

Thanks to input from EORaptor, I sent some information up to the third level teams. The ticket was with Collaborations, because it looked like an issue with Outlook/Office, and they were supposed to be working with the Networking team.

The next day, Collaborations added a note to the ticket that basically said "This is a VPN connection issue. Make sure user has a valid VPN connection and try again."

And then they closed the ticket as Resolved.

Didn't forward to it to Networking to have them follow up on the VPN issue.

Just closed it. Resolved.

Not our problem.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Not my monkey, not my problem"

DEAL WITH IT

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Pissing me off today, finding out that this a Exchange server giving Http 500 errors has not backed up in a week.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re: digital signage, I managed to use the quotes to leverage an increase in the budget and to get the pm to agree to using the local vendor that I wanted to use in the first place but be shot down because “it’s not that hard we should be able to do it ourselves”

In other news: today I disabled a user account that hasn’t been logged into since 2016

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Pissing me off today:

Vendors who need admin rights bugging me for simple poo poo like making a file share. There I revoked your admin access hope it was worth it to get that file share.

I found out we now have 5-6 password management solutions, each section of IT is doing their own thing now since the POS they bought back in 2003 doesn't work well with WFH.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

The Fool posted:

In other news: today I disabled a user account that hasn’t been logged into since 2016

At my previous place, I disabled a user account for a guy that had retired 7 years before I took the job.

He'd also been dead for 3 years.

So I felt pretty confident disabling the account.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A company I previously worked with had a guy retire or whatever and we turned off his account and like 20 things broke.

By the time I left the company 3 years later, his team still wouldn't allow us to turn off his account again because they still hadn't manage to figure out all the systems the dude had tied his account to.

Something similar then happened at another company I ended up at a few years later.

I'm absolutely anal retentive now about how service accounts are set up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

You may not be shocked to find that this sort of "least viable access" mentality is actively resisted in the mod- and admin-level accounts of these united forums of SA.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

A company I previously worked with had a guy retire or whatever and we turned off his account and like 20 things broke.

By the time I left the company 3 years later, his team still wouldn't allow us to turn off his account again because they still hadn't manage to figure out all the systems the dude had tied his account to.

Something similar then happened at another company I ended up at a few years later.

I'm absolutely anal retentive now about how service accounts are set up.
We had a dude like this, and gave it a year before we disabled his accounts, and in that time had managed to cycle out everything.
Though, about 15 months after he left we discovered a domain certificate that had used his email address that we needed to get renewed, so I have his address aliased to mine and probably always will (and whoever gets my job after me probably will, as well). But the overhead on an email alias is minimal.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Brb, gonna go find radiums password in a dump

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

We had a dude like this, and gave it a year before we disabled his accounts, and in that time had managed to cycle out everything.
Though, about 15 months after he left we discovered a domain certificate that had used his email address that we needed to get renewed, so I have his address aliased to mine and probably always will (and whoever gets my job after me probably will, as well). But the overhead on an email alias is minimal.

Alias that to a distribution group called something like 'Certificate Renewals'.

Back at the design studio, guess how I found out that one of the founders was still using his email account after selling the company ?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
One of my small side responsibilities among IT is "management" of the consumer financing thing we offer in our stores. Its something that normally only demands a few minutes of my attention a month.

At 4:15PM Friday, the company that runs the program announced they where completely changing the entire program around. All merchant IDs, existing plans, and website logins would cease to function on Tuesday, May 19th.. To process transactions after that date you would need all new IDs and logins. So a 1 business day notice for a major change.

The email said to call for your new merchant IDs and the information you would need. Except all their phone numbers now went to a "voice mail box is full" message. Literally every single menu option in their phone tree went to the same message.

At 4:00pm today, they announced all the changes have been canceled and all old logins and IDs have been restored.

I hope whatever dumbass decided this was a good idea gets taken out back and shot.. Or at the very least beat-up a little bit.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 18, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shot seems reasonable. Let's not make engineering concessions when we don't need to. :colbert:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I had to escalate a ticket to another team due to not having access to the code base for a piece of software that has a bug and is writing incorrect info to the database that I support. The developers with access managed to bounce the ticket around and sit on it long enough (about 6 months) that the store literally burned down. They sent it back today because the server the software and database sit on is offline.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
DNS update:

Apparently our buddy dns connection died like a month ago, network guy never noticed. Our main dns failed and so there was no failover.

el oh el.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The CEO of the company has been continuing to work off-book on a year-old branch of the app, with changes for a specific very large customer. As if that wasn't bad enough (the main branch has diverged massively), all the new code is thousands of lines of freshman-grade copy/paste, and entirely untested, and we have to clean it all up and integrate it into the main branch.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

The CEO of the company has been continuing to work off-book on a year-old branch of the app, with changes for a specific very large customer. As if that wasn't bad enough (the main branch has diverged massively), all the new code is thousands of lines of freshman-grade copy/paste, and entirely untested, and we have to clean it all up and integrate it into the main branch.

I hope you have copious amounts of alcohol available :v:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My company is in the process of building another store. I have been trying to sort out connectivity.

I found out there is a local outfit that has been running fiber to local businesses.

In doing a bit of research, I found out the owner of the fiber company is ALSO the owner of the local competitor store that our new store is likely to run out of business.

Oops....

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

I hope you have copious amounts of alcohol available :v:

Well, no worries, we have until Friday to fix it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stevewm posted:

My company is in the process of building another store. I have been trying to sort out connectivity.

I found out there is a local outfit that has been running fiber to local businesses.

In doing a bit of research, I found out the owner of the fiber company is ALSO the owner of the local competitor store that our new store is likely to run out of business.

Oops....

Sounds like they're going to need all the business they can get!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Might want to have a backup internet service installed as well

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I actually spoke with them and it appears they can't get fiber to our location anyways. Only 25/5 fixed wireless (bleh, not going there)

So looks like Spectrum it is :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
For some reason that reminds me of when we recently were opening a 2nd store in the same city and the dumb as rocks cable ISP went to our original location and installed a 2nd line and modem, presumably because whoever was doing it stopped reading at the business name, not the address. :downs:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

less than three posted:

For some reason that reminds me of when we recently were opening a 2nd store in the same city and the dumb as rocks cable ISP went to our original location and installed a 2nd line and modem, presumably because whoever was doing it stopped reading at the business name, not the address. :downs:

ATT did something similar to us.

We were opening a sister store focusing on one specific line of product in the same city, about 3 miles away from the existing store.

ATT showed up at the second location, installed the new line as ordered, and then moved the main store's phone number over to it and put the new number on Line 1 at the main store.

It only took them minutes to gently caress it up, but days to fix. They had no explanation how the work order ended up with instructions to swap numbers. We only ordered a new line of service with a new number. The only connection to the main store was matching billing addresses. At least we where able to have the number forwarded until they fixed it.

When we closed that sister store 2 years later, I was afraid they would end up disconnecting services at both locations. They at least managed to successfully cancel the service.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I swear to God if I have to tell my boss that "I don't have permissions to do that in o365" one more time I am going to loving lose my poo poo.
He took away everyone's (well every active admin's) Global Admin permissions, which is good I guess... But he doesn't know how to do poo poo, and hasn't given proper specific permissions to anyone who needs to do stuff. Just hap-hazzardly giving whatever to whomever asks for it when he needs something done.

Meanwhile we still have like 6 service accounts and 2 departed users with Global Admin rights so what in the actual gently caress are you doing dude?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate getting a project that was half-started by someone else a year ago and they don't remember anything about what they did. And then getting pushback on either restarting from scratch, or a vendor who can't just blow the existing setup away.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I swear to God if I have to tell my boss that "I don't have permissions to do that in o365" one more time I am going to loving lose my poo poo.
He took away everyone's (well every active admin's) Global Admin permissions, which is good I guess... But he doesn't know how to do poo poo, and hasn't given proper specific permissions to anyone who needs to do stuff. Just hap-hazzardly giving whatever to whomever asks for it when he needs something done.

Meanwhile we still have like 6 service accounts and 2 departed users with Global Admin rights so what in the actual gently caress are you doing dude?

lol This wasn't anyone in my orgs fault but Autodesk totally changed their whole permissioning model and made our director the global admin and holy poo poo you cant even delegate out alot of tasks. And since hes the "owner" we cant get those powers transferred to anyone else. Now I cant download any new products to build my SCCM installs and I have to walk him through doing it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

stevewm posted:

At least we where able to have the number forwarded until they fixed it.

Steve, I like your posts, but for the love of humanity can you please learn the difference between "where" and "were"?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Whetherman posted:

Steve, I like your posts, but for the love of humanity can you please learn the difference between "where" and "were"?

Listen if a man can't write about wherewolves werever he pleases then what the gently caress was the point of civilization.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stevewhm

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

stevewhm

um actually, it's "stevewhom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Yeah, I've always sucked at that..

See also; there, their, and they're.