Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

me: *beats the game*

also me: ... what the hell's a manuscript?

if you still don't know, it's just something that gives one of your characters 10 SP, depending on which one it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some of them are easy to miss but how do you beat the game without ever once talking to Kupo Kid, he has three manuscripts and they're one of only like 6 things that you need medals for. I ended up having wayyyyyy more medals than I needed, and almost bought everything unique the first time you can meet him

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I grinded medals for a bit to get everything unique ASAP, which was... kind of a mistake.

It's definitely part of why I feel kind of mixed on Hard Mode disabling items; while I get that it'd mess with the balance hard (namely being able to throw around Elixirs and Ethers around real easily), it feels like an annoying amount of systems (vending machines, Moogle Medals, treasure chests, even destroyable boxes when they aren't the best thing ever for giving you a mako shard) become... super pointless.

There's definitely worse things in the world (there's probably even worse design decisions in this very game), but it still kinda bugs me a bit.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the item restriction for hard mode is easily overcame by pray and chakra that it's sort of a joke

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Asema posted:

the item restriction for hard mode is easily overcame by pray and chakra that it's sort of a joke

There are some tricky chapters to work with given the MP restriction. Chapter 11 in particular was a tightrope act in trying to kill the first boss quickly (especially when it goes into its'only magic attacks can hurt it' mode) while saving enough MP for the second boss.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey out of curiosity did anyone notice it makes no goddamn sense for Sephiroth to have specially targeted and killed Cloud's mother? Up until the last second Cloud was just a faceless random infantry man to him. I'm thinking he lied his rear end off about it to make Cloud chase him.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Hey out of curiosity did anyone notice it makes no goddamn sense for Sephiroth to have specially targeted and killed Cloud's mother? Up until the last second Cloud was just a faceless random infantry man to him. I'm thinking he lied his rear end off about it to make Cloud chase him.

I don't know that he indicates that he singled her out at the time. I mean clearly she's his most relevant victim in the context and would be the one that he focused on when taunting Cloud, but I don't remember him ever suggesting that she was anything more than just another random townsperson he cut down who happened to be related to someone who later became important to him.

alternatively this sephiroth had time knowledge retroactively throughout his entire life and specifically was as much of a dick about her death as possible as a form of prevenge

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Time shenanigans makes for some great concepts.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

I don't know that he indicates that he singled her out at the time. I mean clearly she's his most relevant victim in the context and would be the one that he focused on when taunting Cloud, but I don't remember him ever suggesting that she was anything more than just another random townsperson he cut down who happened to be related to someone who later became important to him.

alternatively this sephiroth had time knowledge retroactively throughout his entire life and specifically was as much of a dick about her death as possible as a form of prevenge

When they first meet up in the remake he goes into this long shtick about how Cloud's mother begged for his life before he personally cut her down. But she wouldn't of even known Cloud was there considering he refused to show his face because he was embarrassed for being rejected out of the SOLDIER program. He never even took his infantry helmet off until he got into that fight with Sephiroth. So again it seems like he's making poo poo up just to get Cloud proper pissed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having gone through this entire thread and the flare ups of :argh:NOMURAAAAAAAAAAA:argh: every twenty pages about 60 pages in, this one was a big laffo

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1257095013764345856

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flopsy posted:

When they first meet up in the remake he goes into this long shtick about how Cloud's mother begged for his life before he personally cut her down. But she wouldn't of even known Cloud was there considering he refused to show his face because he was embarrassed for being rejected out of the SOLDIER program. He never even took his infantry helmet off until he got into that fight with Sephiroth. So again it seems like he's making poo poo up just to get Cloud proper pissed.

she absolutely knew he was there, there's a whole scene where he goes back to his house in nibelheim and his mom is all like "oh is this a SOLDIER uniform?" and he's like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"

hell if you pay attention to the kalm flashback in the original, knowing already that Cloud is just a grunt, you kind of get the sense that everyone except Tifa knew it was him. like the incidental NPC dialogue has lines like "wait a sec, are you Cloud? Oh, so that's how it is, huh?", which makes a lot more sense in the context of him wearing a helmet and them taking a second to recognize him and his voice, and being unimpressed.

edit: to support this: in the lifestream bit there's a scene where he walks into the town not wearing a helmet(because he took it off on the truck because of motion sickness), then he spots Tifa and runs back off screen to put it on

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 17, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

she absolutely knew he was there, there's a whole scene where he goes back to his house in nibelheim and his mom is all like "oh is this a SOLDIER uniform?" and he's like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"

hell if you pay attention to the kalm flashback in the original, knowing already that Cloud is just a grunt, you kind of get the sense that everyone except Tifa knew it was him. like the incidental NPC dialogue has lines like "wait a sec, are you Cloud? Oh, so that's how it is, huh?", which makes a lot more sense in the context of him wearing a helmet and them taking a second to recognize him and his voice, and being unimpressed.

edit: to support this: in the lifestream bit there's a scene where he walks into the town not wearing a helmet(because he took it off on the truck because of motion sickness), then he spots Tifa and runs back off screen to put it on

Okay. I may be wrong on this one then. Still I just find it odd he would single out Cloud's mother when at that point Cloud hadn't done poo poo to him.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Okay. I may be wrong on this one then. Still I just find it odd he would single out Cloud's mother when at that point Cloud hadn't done poo poo to him.

That's the thing, I don't think he does. He singles her out while he's talking to Cloud, for obvious reasons, but I don't think anything he says implies that he singled her out at the time. He killed her because he killed everyone, and only brings her up later because she's related to the person he's taunting, not because she held special importance then.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sephiroth exaggerating his killing of Cloud's mother to gently caress with Cloud is perfectly in-character for him.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Having gone through this entire thread and the flare ups of :argh:NOMURAAAAAAAAAAA:argh: every twenty pages about 60 pages in, this one was a big laffo

my favorite are those that screamed about Nomura and when the big interview collection came out and they said 1) it'll still be ff7 and 2) nomura pulled the crazy poo poo back from the devs a lot of the posts on twitter/reddit were "the sales were terrible look at them backtracking!" and then promptly shutting up when these interviews happened in March before the release

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

These people have no idea how game development works. There's Nomura, Nojima, and a whole team of developers who had to work together to kill their parents, this sort of thing is never just one person killing peoples parents, sheesh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As much as I was hoping this would be wrapped up quickly, it looks like I'll have to wait AT LEAST 5 or 6 years until Nomura-san kills my parents.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

anakha posted:

Sephiroth exaggerating his killing of Cloud's mother to gently caress with Cloud is perfectly in-character for him.

I like either this or the prevenge idea tbh.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Agents are GO! posted:

These people have no idea how game development works. There's Nomura, Nojima, and a whole team of developers who had to work together to kill their parents, this sort of thing is never just one person killing peoples parents, sheesh.

See that's one thing that I'm curious about, since Nojima is the "screenplay" writer, where Nomura is merely the director. In a film context Nojima would be in charge of the story beats whilst Nomura would just be figuring out how best to visualise it all. But I imagine game director's are slightly more over-arching in that respect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gredgie posted:

See that's one thing that I'm curious about, since Nojima is the "screenplay" writer, where Nomura is merely the director. In a film context Nojima would be in charge of the story beats whilst Nomura would just be figuring out how best to visualise it all. But I imagine game director's are slightly more over-arching in that respect.

Yeah, this is accurate. It's likely that most of the development leads had some input on the story--that's how it was with the original FF7, too--but for the most part it's a collaboration between Nomura and Nojima. They likely collaborated on the overall scenario/events of the plot, and then Nojima led the actual "words on the page" writing.

For reference, in the original FF7, Nomura was part of the story design, too, despite mostly being the character designer for the project. Some of his input was pretty impactful, like how he convinced Kitase not to kill off most of the cast in the end because it would lessen the impact of Aerith's death. I think the idea to have the group chasing Sephiroth as the main plot structure for a large portion of the game was his idea, too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been following this Youtuber in her blind playthrough of the game, and her post-game observations and deductions are pretty close to being on-point for someone who never played the original.

I'd like to think this is a good indicator of how the game works for players whose first experience with FF7 is this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing Hard Mode and I've finally got an MP absorbtion materia. What the heck do I do with this thing so I don't drain my MP, I don't cast magic most of the time.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm playing Hard Mode and I've finally got an MP absorbtion materia. What the heck do I do with this thing so I don't drain my MP, I don't cast magic most of the time.

Does it work with parry? I think HP absorb does, so it might work with MP absorb too. Deadly dodge too as well.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It's fun to do a good old-fashioned double-materia linking like in the OG for crowd control. Like
Fire + Magnify
Fire + MP absorb

I used that to blow through the parking garage part of chapter 16 on Hard without using any MP by spamming Fira during every encounter. But otherwise it's still good for boss fights for dropping nukes on the boss while greatly reducing the cost and extending your MP reserves.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
MP Absorb only works with magic attack materia, so at best you're stemming the tide.

Better way to save MP is use Prayer for healing, slot Elemental in your weapons to hit weaknesses, and only rely on level 1 spells when you need them to stagger.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't know how on earth I'm going to get through the Sector 7 Pillar and both trips through the loving sewers on Hard because those were rage-inducing enough as it is on Normal

Good thing you can do the chapters in whatever order I guess.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know how on earth I'm going to get through the Sector 7 Pillar and both trips through the loving sewers on Hard because those were rage-inducing enough as it is on Normal.

Magnify-Fire

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Oh, right, I was going to add to the above comment that Cloud and Tifa both really should be spending ATB on fighting during boss battles, so it makes a lot of sense to load them up with their magic gear (which often includes 20% mp reduction for attack spells) along with magnify=fire and mp absorb=fire for the incidental battles in hard mode. You can pick whatever element works best for the area and just plow through it, and there are usually enough boxes that you’ll still arrive at the boss with enough mp for a couple of arises or whatnot.

Probably the main exception to this is Chapter 11 (where you probably need all the MP you can spare for the bosses) and Chapter 17 (where you have way too many bosses to waste any MP in the Drum).

Schwartzcough posted:

Time shenanigans makes for some great concepts.

Honestly, this is why I’m happy with how all this is going. Final Fantasy games have always had plenty of tragedy, but ever since FFX, they’ve been really serious. Even FFX plays most of its story beats completely straight, to the point that the goofy minigame has a tragic edge because the main character’s abusive dad was even better at said minigame and a huge dick about that.

FF7R rolls that right back to the 90s anime energy, including some classic foreshadowing-y bits that feel a lot more...Evangelion-ish than recent FF games have been? Unlike the “Blame Nomura” crowd, my assumption here is that the last several FF games have been largely driven by newcomers, all of whom had very ambitious goals that were big departures from the series by design, whereas Nomura has been mired in a hell of his own creation by having to weave his silly shounen story through the Disney juggernaut. Now, the Old Gang Is Back Together, and that’s why this experience feels so...good. (I am perfectly willing to learn I’m wrong about all of this.)

Basically I agree with Omni, but I also basically liked KH3. That said, I like to compare it with FFXV—KH3 is less than the sum of its parts, as a game that has several really lovely set pieces and scenes that feel stitched together with a bunch of Disney games of varying quality, whereas FFXV is more than the sum of its parts, as it manages to be a really interesting, engaging game despite how many of the individual bits of it are just bad.

Suffice it to say, the ending of FF7R delighted me, but I’m someone who still thinks “Time Kompression” was pretty cool (talk about another game that felt like it added up to less than everything in it). It feels like the whole team making this really gets it in a way that I appreciate, up to and including all this nonsense. Hell, we might even go Full Chrono Cross with different dimensions at this point! Anything is possible! Everything is permitted!

rko fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 19, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zack, Cloud, Sephiroth, Crono and Erdrick are all going to have to team up to defeat Perfect Sephiroth

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Zack, Cloud, Sephiroth, Crono and Erdrick are all going to have to team up to defeat Perfect Sephiroth

Don't loving give them ideas you know they read the boards!!

rko posted:

Honestly, this is why I’m happy with how all this is going. Final Fantasy games have always had plenty of tragedy, but ever since FFX, they’ve been really serious. Even FFX plays most of its story beats completely straight, to the point that the goofy minigame has a tragic edge because the main character’s abusive dad was even better at said minigame and a huge dick about that.

FF7R rolls that right back to the 90s anime energy, including some classic foreshadowing-y bits that feel a lot more...Evangelion-ish than recent FF games have been? Unlike the “Blame Nomura” crowd, my assumption here is that the last several FF games have been largely driven by newcomers, all of whom had very ambitious goals that were big departures from the series by design, whereas Nomura has been mired in a hell of his own creation by having to weave his silly shounen story through the Disney juggernaut. Now, the Old Gang Is Back Together, and that’s why this experience feels so...good. (I am perfectly willing to learn I’m wrong about all of this.)

Basically I agree with Omni, but I also basically liked KH3. That said, I like to compare it with FFXV—KH3 is less than the sum of its parts, as a game that has several really lovely set pieces and scenes that feel stitched together with a bunch of Disney games of varying quality, whereas FFXV is more than the sum of its parts, as it manages to be a really interesting, engaging game despite how many of the individual bits of it are just bad.

Suffice it to say, the ending of FF7R delighted me, but I’m someone who still thinks “Time Kompression” was pretty cool (talk about another game that felt like it added up to less than everything in it). It feels like the whole team making this really gets it in a way that I appreciate, up to and including all this nonsense. Hell, we might even go Full Chrono Cross with different dimensions at this point! Anything is possible! Everything is permitted!

Have to agree. I do understand drama and serious plot have their places but it's felt...kinda stifling as of late not gonna lie. This has the kinda 90's anime vibe that feels like coming home to a warm dinner and friends.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

RareAcumen posted:

You're assuming Square doesn't completely and totally hate the idea of every making more Chrono Trigger content.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Beefstew posted:

You're assuming Square doesn't completely and totally hate the idea of every making more Chrono Trigger content.

Well they did trademark the title Chrono Break but nothing ever came of it...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

That was just their plan to smash all existing copies of Trigger and Cross.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

And that was filed in 2001, nearly twenty goddamn years ago.

(and they never actually Trademarked it, since you need to actually start selling a product to get a Trademark, but I digress).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Oh, I didn't know that. It seemed like a contained story so I can't understand why there was never a sequel or anything.

Okay, swap Crono for Ramza Beoulve instead.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've been looking up some serious galaxy brain theorycrafting about what the gently caress is actually going on in this game and so far it's been quite the trip. Is there some kind of consensus on whether the whole time travel Sephiroth and Aerith poo poo makes sense or not, because it's such a major recontextualization that it messes with my head a bit.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cerebral Bore posted:

I've been looking up some serious galaxy brain theorycrafting about what the gently caress is actually going on in this game and so far it's been quite the trip. Is there some kind of consensus on whether the whole time travel Sephiroth and Aerith poo poo makes sense or not, because it's such a major recontextualization that it messes with my head a bit.

Near as I can tell, the answer to that is basically: "Maybe; depends on where they go from here."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Sephiroth seems to have knowledge of the future and is trying to change it(presumably because he loses), which the plot ghosts are trying to prevent. Aerith also has visions of the future but they seem pretty vague so it's hard to say exactly how much she knows. She definitely knows she's going to die though. How this all happened is the big question.

For the ending, defeating the plot ghosts got rid of them in the past too. They apparently caused Zack to die so without them he lived, and it created a new timeline where he's alive. How this will affect the main story is another big question.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Sephiroth seems to have knowledge of the future and is trying to change it, which the plot ghosts are trying to prevent. Aerith also has visions of the future but they seem pretty vague so it's hard to say exactly how much she knows. She definitely knows she's going to die though. How this all happened is the big question right now.

For the ending, defeating the plot ghosts got rid of them in the past too. They apparently caused Zack to die so without them he lived, and it created a new timeline where he's alive. How this will affect the main story is another big question.

Yeah, I get the ending because it's very logical for Sephiroth to want to get rid of the plot ghosts if he knows that he's fated to lose. He's using the party as his catspaws much like he did in the original game to get him what he wants, which would be removing the constraints of fate vs the Black Materia respectively.

This is some galaxy brain stuff, so bear with me for a moment, but where this poo poo really goes off the rails is that if you look at it with the benefit of hindsight then Sephiroth killing Aerith in the original was arguably a major mistake on his part. It's logical why he does it at the moment because from his point of view she's the only actual threat to him, but as it turns out he seemingly only made things worse for himself because now she's in the Lifestream and hence actually in a better position to work against him. This also turns out to be necessary to actually stop Meteor so it has to happen somehow unless things change in some super major way in order to get any kind of good ending.

The only concrete gain he gets is to further motivate Cloud to keep pursuing him, but you'd think that that could have been accomplished through other means. It's not like Cloud would need much motivation to keep up the chase at that point, and in the remake Sephiroth is already much more active in loving with Cloud, maybe because he realizes his mistake and wants to create that motivation by other means.

So assuming that both he and Aerith have the benefit of hindsight it would seem that the actual conflict going forwards would be between Aerith who has to figure out a way to ensure that she dies at the right place and the right time and Sephiroth who should be trying to prevent this, as messed up as that sounds. And the only tools Aerith has at her disposal is the party, so this would imply that the game would have to make the player actively work towards killing off one of the most beloved characters in the game, even if this is never explicitly spelled out.

And who the hell knows how Zack will figure into things. I'm already confused enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, I get the ending because it's very logical for Sephiroth to want to get rid of the plot ghosts if he knows that he's fated to lose. He's using the party as his catspaws much like he did in the original game to get him what he wants, which would be removing the constraints of fate vs the Black Materia respectively.

This is some galaxy brain stuff, so bear with me for a moment, but where this poo poo really goes off the rails is that if you look at it with the benefit of hindsight then Sephiroth killing Aerith in the original was arguably a major mistake on his part. It's logical why he does it at the moment because from his point of view she's the only actual threat to him, but as it turns out he seemingly only made things worse for himself because now she's in the Lifestream and hence actually in a better position to work against him. This also turns out to be necessary to actually stop Meteor so it has to happen somehow unless things change in some super major way in order to get any kind of good ending.

The only concrete gain he gets is to further motivate Cloud to keep pursuing him, but you'd think that that could have been accomplished through other means. It's not like Cloud would need much motivation to keep up the chase at that point, and in the remake Sephiroth is already much more active in loving with Cloud, maybe because he realizes his mistake and wants to create that motivation by other means.

So assuming that both he and Aerith have the benefit of hindsight it would seem that the actual conflict going forwards would be between Aerith who has to figure out a way to ensure that she dies at the right place and the right time and Sephiroth who should be trying to prevent this, as messed up as that sounds. And the only tools Aerith has at her disposal is the party, so this would imply that the game would have to make the player actively work towards killing off one of the most beloved characters in the game, even if this is never explicitly spelled out.

And who the hell knows how Zack will figure into things. I'm already confused enough as it is.

This is what I figure is going on.
They've already fundamentally altered Zack's story by having him live, so gently caress it, just go all out. Make him a villain. Make him out to save Aeris from the party, or go crazy after she bites it.