Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

bloops posted:

Any recommendations on a NAS solution? I’d like to move away from separate external hard drives to one unit. I typically use sessions through Capture One, so speed of loading raw files wirelessly is a priority.

If you don't mind things being a little bootleg, you can install Xpenology on an old desktop and fill it with drives. I've had mine running for 4-5 years or so and it's been great. It had gigabit ethernet, so I got a gigabit switch and filled it with drives for a 12TB RAID1 and it's super fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is this the best setup for using a mirrorless as a webcam? Everywhere is sold out of Logitech Brio and 92x webcams so I was noodling using my X-T3 or O-MD E-M10 Mark III Ultimate Extreme Edition 1.0 as a webcam for kicks. But I'd rather not drop $500 for the privilege of showing up the guys who just have really expensive mics with ~*bokeh*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CA1bGmEiM

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Anyone who hasn't watched it, I recommend Mr. Turner. One, it's a pretty good, fairly faithful movie of William Turner's life, and it was one worth watching. Two, the cinematography is phenomenal. Dick Pope did the work there.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Dangerllama posted:

Is this the best setup for using a mirrorless as a webcam? Everywhere is sold out of Logitech Brio and 92x webcams so I was noodling using my X-T3 or O-MD E-M10 Mark III Ultimate Extreme Edition 1.0 as a webcam for kicks. But I'd rather not drop $500 for the privilege of showing up the guys who just have really expensive mics with ~*bokeh*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CA1bGmEiM

I think so. One concern I've heard is thermal management. Since the mirrorless cameras weren't designed for continuous use, the sensor could get much hotter than what it's designed for. This is hearsay, and may well be no concern, but it sounds plausible to me.

Finally, whenever I :wfh:, I only look at myself. I never look at other people, and neither does anybody else. So that guy in your video is peak masturbation. After the novelty wore off, I now use the builtin camera and have no reason to ever look back.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m not sure if this question is within the scope of this thread, but does anyone recall the blog/website guide to street photography where the author was really hammering in that the only thing he deemed acceptable for street was a leica and a certain f-stop? it was interspersed with his own street shots and I think everything was in black/white

I don’t even know if that website exists anymore or if anyone remembers but I do think the link was among the resources in the op of a street photography megathread back in 2008, so I would guess the previous iteration

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A while back, I decided to upgrade my general-purpose kit lens (Nikon 18-55mm) to a new general-purpose lens (Sigma 17-55mm). On some occasions, the Sigma preforms nicely, but I've also run into some situations where it gives me trouble. Two examples are below, both taken on a hike in the Grand Canyon. (Ignore the fact that they're not great photos anyway.)

The problem is those lens-flare spots near the sun and the bright blue spot opposite the sun in the first photo. I don't ever recall having quite this much trouble with sun refraction or dust with my kit lens, even when having the sun in/near frame. It's possible that the canyon is a bit dustier than normal, or I wasn't keeping my lens clean, but I'm still a bit disappointed in this. My other photos, when the sun wasn't close to the frame, turned out fine.

Any tips for avoiding this sort of thing in the future? Do some lens have more trouble with the sun being in/near flame? Or do I just need to make extra sure that my lens is clean? I'd read that the Sigma was a pretty good lens, so I'm a little surprised by this. Any tips or advice?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Afaik, it's a function of lens coatings and keeping the sun out of certain position relative to the lens. Also, some primes are more tolerant to the sun than some zooms.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The sigma 17-50mm does have some flaring when shooting into a bright light source, the purple is probably the normal lens flare, here is the flaring in a video review. The speckling all over is dust. The optical design and coatings determine how badly a lens flares, and scratches and dust on the front element can worsen performance against bright lights (but otherwise won't affect image quality much, like in your other pictures).

Using the hood helps, but on a zoom it might not help much, especially at the longer focal lengths. Shading the lens with something else may help too. Small camera movements can also move the flare around a lot, so composing carefully can help avoid it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Lawson posted:

I think so. One concern I've heard is thermal management. Since the mirrorless cameras weren't designed for continuous use, the sensor could get much hotter than what it's designed for. This is hearsay, and may well be no concern, but it sounds plausible to me.

Finally, whenever I :wfh:, I only look at myself. I never look at other people, and neither does anybody else. So that guy in your video is peak masturbation. After the novelty wore off, I now use the builtin camera and have no reason to ever look back.

My wife had a virtual open house to host yesterday, so I had her set up with my A7III through an Elgato Cam Link 4K.

I had it going through OBS so she could switch from PowerPoint to full-screen camera to PowerPoint with PIP camera, and it worked out well. I did not, however, show her how to turn off OBS after she ended the Facebook Live stream.

When I went to bed that night, I happened to check on it and found out it'd been recording for 9 hours straight. No overheating or issues. I was impressed. I think it helps that it's not recording internally to the camera, but rather just exporting the sensor view through HDMI.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is there a certain type of container that people use for photographing liquids in glass? Even my best drinking glass introduces a significant amount of astigmatism.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Borosilicate glass has significantly better optical qualities than general run of the mill soda glass

We have a bunch of lab grade Pyrex borosilicate 600ml beakers we use as pint glasses in the kitchen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004DGIII8

They are oven, stovetop, microwave safe, crystal clear and don't chip in the dishwasher

Normally they are like $6-7 each but price is high right now, other brands are the same material but less price

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Or are you talking about distortion on the left and right thirds of the glass?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Or are you talking about distortion on the left and right thirds of the glass?

No, those distortions would disappear if a rectangular glass bottle were used (which is what i want to do). I unfortunately don't have a picture of what I am talking about because it was garbage and so I discarded it. But imagine a picture of bubbles in water. Just in front of the focal plane the bokeh balls are elongated along the x direction while behind the focal plane they are elongated in the y direction. I was hoping that I could get a rectangular water container that does not show this behavior.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Shooting through a higher RI medium will inherently induce spherical distortions, though to what extent that matters outside the macro/micro realm I am not sure.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

Shooting through a higher RI medium will inherently induce spherical distortions, though to what extent that matters outside the macro/micro realm I am not sure.

If I can shoot though an ND filter and not get elongated bokeh balls, I should be able to get a vessel with at least one flat glass surface that is of equally high quality.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Glass objects are generally shot using diffused rear light in a black room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NlA7yzFrw

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 19, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Glass objects are generally shot using diffused rear light in a black room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NlA7yzFrw

I am happy to see that I arrived at the same conclusion. But if the glass is of a low quality, the real subject (the liquid inside it) looks off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every drinking glass is going to distort, they aren't manufactured with optical clarity as a goal.

Maybe you could get close with extremely thin glass but this depends on how close to perfect you think you need.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

Every drinking glass is going to distort, they aren't manufactured with optical clarity as a goal.

Maybe you could get close with extremely thin glass but this depends on how close to perfect you think you need.

Just need a Carl Zeiss tumbler.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If the container doesn't need to be in the shot, you could source some optically good sheet glass and make a tank with some silicone or replace a hole in another container with it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

I am happy to see that I arrived at the same conclusion. But if the glass is of a low quality, the real subject (the liquid inside it) looks off.

Your best bet might be a small high quality fish tank and a polarising filter.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I ended up finding an old perfume bottle that seems to fit the bill for now.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've had my Pentax K-50 for slightly longer than 4 years (literally 4 years and 8 days. The warranty expired 8 fuckin' days ago.) And I just pulled it out to snaps some pictures and everything is dark as heck. I did some googling and it looks like this is a common problem with a fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGbyZHPknQ

The comments section indicates that this fix works, but I am not comfortable just doing this without understanding why it works. Can anyone explain what that thing is and how it is malfunctioning? I have an Electrical Engineering background so you don't have to explain like I'm five or anything. A general explanation that would give me a some good words to google would be great.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I couldn't find anything definitive but they said the solenoid/plunger gets locked because the plunger becomes magnetized over time. There are also a number people saying the correct long term solution is to replace the green solenoid with a higher quality one.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

holy wrong thread batman

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is there any photo-app that can invert colors easily? I wan't to get a sense of my negatives without having to do contact-prints all the time.

You can do it in IOS but it's like 5 clicks deep in the settings.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pondex posted:

Is there any photo-app that can invert colors easily? I wan't to get a sense of my negatives without having to do contact-prints all the time.

You can do it in IOS but it's like 5 clicks deep in the settings.
Assuming you’re talking about the iOS invert colors option, you can use the accessibility shortcut to set it up to toggle that on triple click of the home button.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get a quick and dirty fake invert in Lightroom by reversing the slope of the curve.. move the black point the the upper left and the white point to the lower right. It'll have a weird color cast but it's kinda close.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I really need to start printing out my work and hanging it around the house. Frames are expensive so I was thinking that I would just have the prints mounted on 3mm styrene and put some Vinyl Square Bumpers on the back to make it look as if it is floating off the wall. Anyone done this and think it is a good plan?

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 31, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been littering my living room with aluminum prints on half inch standoffs and I think it looks great. It passed the wife test too.

It depends on the look though. Some photos absolutely require a classic dry mounting with a white border. I wouldn't put standoffs on something like that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I've been littering my living room with aluminum prints on half inch standoffs and I think it looks great. It passed the wife test too.

It depends on the look though. Some photos absolutely require a classic dry mounting with a white border. I wouldn't put standoffs on something like that.

Yeah, I alternate glass and aluminum prints.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good link for how to photograph largish art pieces (up to 6 feet or so, both paintings and 3-d). Someone may be willing to pay me to do this, and I'd love to go in with something of a plan.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Anyone have a good link for how to photograph largish art pieces (up to 6 feet or so, both paintings and 3-d). Someone may be willing to pay me to do this, and I'd love to go in with something of a plan.

For paintings, I did this for a client last year - https://www.artworkarchive.com/blog/4-steps-to-photographing-your-art-like-a-professional

Set up two softboxes on either side at a 45 deg angle to hit the painting and light in evenly, camera on tripod in between them. If you don't have softboxes, just get some big pieces of white foam core from a store and shoot the lights off them to make them reflectors.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

For paintings, I did this for a client last year - https://www.artworkarchive.com/blog/4-steps-to-photographing-your-art-like-a-professional

Set up two softboxes on either side at a 45 deg angle to hit the painting and light in evenly, camera on tripod in between them. If you don't have softboxes, just get some big pieces of white foam core from a store and shoot the lights off them to make them reflectors.

Perfect, thanks. I don't have the soft boxes but the sheet trick looks do-able if we don't have a good spot with natural light.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The main trick is to not light the pieces directly, use diffusion or bounce to avoid hotspotting. The specific setup is pretty flexible.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

What is the go-to flash system for Fuji now? I remember a couple years ago, the official Fuji flash didn't even have radio, and needed line of sight for slave units. And there were no yonguo sets for Fuji at the time either. Has that changed?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

polyester concept posted:

What is the go-to flash system for Fuji now? I remember a couple years ago, the official Fuji flash didn't even have radio, and needed line of sight for slave units. And there were no yonguo sets for Fuji at the time either. Has that changed?

Godox. I've got the TT350 speedlite that takes AA batteries (though there's a Lith-Ion version too - the V350?) and the X1T trigger and it works nicely (even if I don't know how to use it properly).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Yeah, it's Godox/Flashpoint. I have the same TT350 that T-Rex mentions and the size is great but its relatively low power is limiting once you start talking about using it with diffusion, at greater distances, etc. I actually have two of them and will sometimes double them up to create a single brighter source.

Robert Hall Photography on Youtube is a good starting point for figuring out the model lineup.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Thirding the Godox recommendation. Been really happy with the AD200's. And their battery tech is stupid good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Godox is great - I have the Flashpoint branding through Adorama and haven't had any problems with my two AD200's. I just need a V1 so I can finally get rid of my 430EX II and it's 4 AA batteries that take 20 hours to charge.