Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

TheParadigm posted:

From what I understand its a classy/pushy thing: your'e discouraged to put it everywhere to the point where its gets annoying, but its acceptable to like, throw it in an op somewhere and let people go there if they want to. The difference being hawking vs unobtrusiveness, I think.

Sure, I don't think people should be spamming it every post but throwing it into the OP of a post or throwing it into a post under extreme circumstances like Elentor went through shouldn't be uncalled for, especially if the poster in question is someone who contributes some level of content to the forums, like Elentor has and continues to do so on an incredibly regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Dash, thank you for your reply. Regardless, I appreciate what happened. I don't know T-Rex, but I'm happy they did what they did - I didn't because I just thought it'd be deleted anyway. I'm infinitely thankful to you T-Rex, for what you did. I hope in the future you folks consider these rules but I trust your judgment. Just know that the help I got from goons was invaluable and I still have no words to describe it. I honestly expected my situation to last for a long time. To say the Patreon support I'm getting is a life-changer would be the understatement of the century.

Anyway, I got back at playing the game today, and recording some content. I do apologize for taking a bit long to getting back on the track, I hope to get back at writing the LP soon. I thank you all for your patience as you've had for a decade now.

I also have a secondary FF7-related project that you might be interested and I'm gonna announce it in maybe a week once it's matured enough. For those in the public LP Discord, I shared some stuff there about it. I think it'll be very exciting, hope so!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 4, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don’t sweat it too much, look out for yourself first (or at least as much as you can). Worst-case... Well, I’ve personally been involved with LPs that went literal years between updates.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

It's not mentioned anywhere in the rules

It's in the subforum rules, though it's true that it also says 'this is a forums-wide rule' and I'm not sure that part is actually written down anywhere. I vaguely remember that rule being brought in so I can believe that's an oversight since the actual rules page hasn't been updated in several years.

e: at least 2015 judging by the mod list

Polsy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 4, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Elentor, I followed the Spirit Armor Sakura Wars LP. You've got a ways to go before you're causing an actual issue.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Onmi posted:

Elentor, I followed the Spirit Armor Sakura Wars LP. You've got a ways to go before you're causing an actual issue.

I remember reading like, the first half of that LP, would you mind giving a summary of what happened?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Elentor posted:

Anyway, I got back at playing the game today, and recording some content. I do apologize for taking a bit long to getting back on the track, I hope to get back at writing the LP soon. I thank you all for your patience as you've had for a decade now.

I also have a secondary FF7-related project that you might be interested and I'm gonna announce it in maybe a week once it's matured enough. For those in the public LP Discord, I shared some stuff there about it. I think it'll be very exciting, hope so!

Glad that things are looking up a bit and you're getting back to playing. I went and reread the first 20 updates of your previous LP of Final Fantasy 7 and I can't wait to see your reaction since it seems like so many of the things you wished for back then came true.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheParadigm posted:

From what I understand its a classy/pushy thing: your'e discouraged to put it everywhere to the point where its gets annoying, but its acceptable to like, throw it in an op somewhere and let people go there if they want to. The difference being hawking vs unobtrusiveness, I think.

Just to quickly address this: Yes, essentially! At least this is how we've run it in LP. It's been like this for a while, before I was mod of LP, and that was largely to deal with what was then a large influx of YouTube LPers dropping in to spam their channels or gimmicks or what-have-you to cash in on that sweet, sweet Something Awful Let's Play Subforum Superstardom! It's not really an issue with our current community, but the rule has stuck. We mostly enforce it when it becomes obtrusive and is clearly an example of xXx420WeedGokuSephinroth69xXx shilling for themselves and their facecam LPs with 80-second long intros.

From the Rules Thread:

Fedule posted:

Rules for posting LPs:
  • Don't shill for donations!

This is actually a forum-wide rule but bears repeating here. It is not against the rules to have a tip jar or a Patreon or whatever - who doesn't, these days? - but don't go plugging it in your thread.

However, if you're streaming for charity (eg, Extra Life) and are encouraging viewers to donate to that instead of to you personally, that's fine by us.

Now even before I was a mod, it's been discouraged to post asking for money on Something Awful in general. It's not codified in the Forums Rules (which are ancient), but it's been treated as common law from what I've seen as a user and now as a mod. Hence, the "forum-wide" wording. There have been enough examples in SA history of goons being scammed out of their money that asking for it is essentially verboten. Even advertising a product has to get run by a mod or risk being gassed. There are exceptions, obviously, such as musicians in NDM posting their albums, but that's always been the case.

Luna Was Here posted:

Can you explain this one, specifically the bolded part? It's not mentioned anywhere in the rules, and there are several notable high traffic threads that feature either direct links to a patreon or some other form of goon made merchandise, such as the kill 6 billion demons thread, the nail thread, or several goon game projects whenever those pop up in Games? Why are Patreons not allowed here when they're seemingly allowed everywhere else?

The rule is frequently relaxed for goon-made merchandise. I can't and won't speak for the subforums I'm unfamiliar with, but I know that often goon games are asked to be advertised.

But to answer the last question: They're not allowed everywhere else, as far as I can tell. Again, exceptions have been set up. I believe there's been a blanket exemption in TG, but I really only get into the nitty-gritty mechanics of this subforum, so I can't speak too much towards the others. Most of my time outside of LP is shitposting. (I know. I do the same thing here).

That said, LPers are creating content and creators should be able be paid for content, yes? The timing of this is funny because the question was raised in the mod forum three weeks ago; we are currently discussing this very issue! Unfortunately, it got shelved to deal with other fires in the forums at large, but these questions are good and remind me to prod that thread.

edit: for broken quote

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 5, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember reading like, the first half of that LP, would you mind giving a summary of what happened?

Spirit Armor got into lawschool, so if you got an update a year, it was lucky.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

Hey Dash, thank you for your reply. Regardless, I appreciate what happened. I don't know T-Rex, but I'm happy they did what they did - I didn't because I just thought it'd be deleted anyway. I'm infinitely thankful to you T-Rex, for what you did. I hope in the future you folks consider these rules but I trust your judgment. Just know that the help I got from goons was invaluable and I still have no words to describe it. I honestly expected my situation to last for a long time. To say the Patreon support I'm getting is a life-changer would be the understatement of the century.

I think T-Rex's posts came from a real good place and I think your cause is just. I've been following the thread so I saw the link go up right away. I decided to look the other way until the damage could be done, so to speak.

I am genuinely glad to hear you are well!

edit: for clarity

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 5, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dash Rendar posted:

That said, LPers are creating content and creators should be able be paid for content, yes? The timing of this is funny because the question was raised in the mod forum three weeks ago; we are currently discussing this very issue! Unfortunately, it got shelved to deal with other fires in the forums at large, but these questions are good and remind me to prod that thread.

Thanks for your response! I'm glad to hear we have a mod team with a heart, and I hope you all can find a middle ground between allowed to link/isn't allowed to shove it down everyone's throats constantly in a way that makes everyone happy.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Onmi posted:

Spirit Armor got into lawschool, so if you got an update a year, it was lucky.

Ah, I think I skimmed what you were replying to and thought there was drama beyond just "long intervals between updates".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks for your response! I'm glad to hear we have a mod team with a heart, and I hope you all can find a middle ground between allowed to link/isn't allowed to shove it down everyone's throats constantly in a way that makes everyone happy.

I think it's fair to let mods use their discretion based on community input. Any hard and fast rule is going to be rules-lawyered by exactly the sort of person who we don't want to have the ability to fundraise here.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Dash Rendar posted:

My two cents (if I'm allowed to give it) is that at the very least a link to the patreon should be allowed in the OP of an LP thread post. I'd argue that if someone was making bonus content for a patreon (such as podcasts, maybe Dev interviews) then they should be allowed to plug it everytime they put out a piece of said bonus content, or at least every few releases of such content, but that's just me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PT6A posted:

I think it's fair to let mods use their discretion based on community input. Any hard and fast rule is going to be rules-lawyered by exactly the sort of person who we don't want to have the ability to fundraise here.

This is a very important point. Trying to do everything by rules gives the advantage to people who are very good at being terrible without ever explicitly breaking the rules.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think just one link to a patreon or whatever in an OP is sufficient to reflect that LP isnt a pseudo-hobby anymore.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Glad you're getting by Elentor, take your time and do what's best for you. As I've been playing through FF7 I had been going back to your original LP, there's so much stuff there that made me think "heh would be fun to bring up that thing she wrote (not least "no remake because we can't have nice things"), so was lovely to see you've started thus up, thanks for all of your efforts over the years. I still use that lovely cg image of the end of the road as my laptop desktop image.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for your kind words. I haven't gotten back to playing it. Still more or less dealing with assorted stuff so I'm really just writing at this point.

With that said someone spoiled me that "I'm gonna have a surprise by the time I get to the end of the road image".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Namtab posted:

I think just one link to a patreon or whatever in an OP is sufficient to reflect that LP isnt a pseudo-hobby anymore.

Yeah playing videogames for the internet, or really just making any content for the internet, is for a lot of people an honest-to-goodness job now. SA being the one place that discourages this also, honestly, kind of disincentivises making content on SA in general.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elentor posted:

Thank you for your kind words. I haven't gotten back to playing it. Still more or less dealing with assorted stuff so I'm really just writing at this point.

With that said someone spoiled me that "I'm gonna have a surprise by the time I get to the end of the road image".
I'm sorry that someone decided to be a jerk and spoil you on the secret of Cloud's hair care techniques.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I seem to remember some mention of Crisis Core or Before Crisis or Core of Cerecore that the president (or maybe it was Rufus) was kidnapped by Avalanche, or someone claiming to be Avalanche, or someone was claiming to be Core. So that's probably referring to that?

It was the *first* cellphone game, Before Crisis where AVALANCE as an actual rebel movement was formed. then it was fleshed out in side material like books and comics. I am also expecting or at least hoping for the Before Crisis turks to show up somewhere in later episodes, since Elena's sister and Tsing's father are apart of the rogues.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Excerpt of something I'm working on. To be released soon(tm).

The leaked video had gone viral.

"ATTACK WHILE ITS TAIL IS UP " the Ex-SOLDIER said. As soon as the man with the gunarm started shooting, the oversized Robot proceeded to systematically murder everyone caught on tape.

"WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU DO?" a young woman with a red banana screamed as their leader lied split in half. "I DUNNO, I'M NOT A REAL SOLDIER. I WAS JUST PHONING IN" the blond guy replied. "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING" he said, shortly before the laser beam cut him to pieces.

In the aftermath, the entirety of AVALANCHE died.
---------------------------
Over the next months, a "fan edit" of the video became popular. It removed all the embarrassing dialogue from the surveillance footage and made things look more professional. The people in the slums were told that the original leaked footage had fake voice-overs by SHINRA, while new Activist cells arose.

"These people should not be flirting mid combat" said Winchestter, leader of SNOWFALL. "This was a high stakes mission, and they're rushing in blind while leaving their primary combatant behind to fight by himself. It's a miracle they didn't all die in the very first room."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I can't wait to discuss how some aspects of this Remake relate to you, specifically, and to this LP, but it's going to be a while before we can. :(

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll catch up, I promise. Currently it's a bit awkward for me to do the playing and recording FF7R pipeline. I don't have access to a PS right now.

In the meanwhile, I don't want there to be a content drought, so I have started a certain something:

Slums of Midgar - A Game for 8 Teams

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 17, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Had to dig this old post out...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Barret speeling his name with only one "t" really bugs me for some reason

Everyone knows Barret's missed a T

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Marmaduke! posted:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Marmaduke! posted:

Nice

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Wow

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Marmaduke! posted:

gently caress

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Marmaduke! posted:

:vince:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Marmaduke! posted:

God :drat:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

I both love and hate this post.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Marmaduke! posted:

oh tjord

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

gently caress

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Namtab posted:

I am momentarily going to interrupt pun appreciation chat, because this is relevant to this thread:

Good news everyone! The discussions in the mod forum have been fruitful and we're going to be trying this out:

Fedule posted:

:ducksiren:Exciting LP Rules Update:ducksiren:

We are trialing a rule change in LP which will create an exemption - a very specific exemption - to the site-wide ban on linking to personal tip-jars, Patreons, etc.

The rule will be this: You are permitted to link your Patreon/Ko-Fi/PayPal/etc once, with a short blurb, in the OP of your LP thread. Don't post it more than once, or at all outside your OP, and don't labour the point after the fact.

This change would align LP's rules with those of other forums in which people posting the fruits of their labour are entitled to collect donations from appreciative readers, in recognition of the fact that LPs take effort to produce and you all are graciously making them available for free.

Many LP posters have Patreons, and everybody knows it. We have long taken the view that we won't object to people plugging this stuff in their work as long as they don't post it on the forums. This has done well enough as a policy, but a number of people have observed that this just serves as a fig leaf that also happens to do nothing for SSLP folks. We've heard these observations, and we're convinced, so we took them to the admin team, and it seems they see the sense in it too. So, we're testing a new policy that will level this field a bit.

As mentioned, this is a trial. That means:

1) We want to hear your thoughts on this. Great idea? Terrible idea? Happy? Astonished?

2) We reserve the right to roll it back if we find that we regret doing it.

We are trusting you when it comes to not crossing the line into shilling. Lots of people abusing that trust is the kind of thing that will cause us to regret this trial. But we hope it won't come to that, because when it comes down to it, we think the work people do for LP is work that people should be able to toss you a buck or two for.

Please click Fedule's quote to the link in the Sandcastle for discussion! Of course if anyone has questions here I'll answer, but I also don't want to distract from the thread's real purpose...

...that Barret pun.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Nice.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dash Rendar posted:

I am momentarily going to interrupt pun appreciation chat, because this is relevant to this thread:

Good news everyone! The discussions in the mod forum have been fruitful and we're going to be trying this out:

Please click Fedule's quote to the link in the Sandcastle for discussion! Of course if anyone has questions here I'll answer, but I also don't want to distract from the thread's real purpose...

...that Barret pun.

Crossposting, sort of, but thank you.

I'm very sad that I have to be on hiatus right now (and because of that I'll refrain from posting the link to my patreon) because I'm still dealing with a bunch of RL stuff and issues. I'll only post it when I manage to scrap back a PS, some equipment and the peace of mind to get back to playing and writing in a way that is satisfactory. Still, I thank everyone who's supporting me for the sake of supporting a fellow human being, as the quarantine mixed with dealing with extreme homophobia right now on a daily is tough and I apologize that I had to mix it with what was otherwise meant to be a light-hearted entertaining thread.

When I say you folks saved me, I mean in the most literal possible way.

I'd like to thank the mods for everything. Things aren't perfect, but I have no idea where I would be right now. Probably back at the slums making FF7 puns to lighten my days.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
My. God.

I was not expecting an LP of this game despite that incredible LP you did of the OG FF7. Already played through the whole thing myself but you already in four updates showed me a few things I actually missed in detail like Cloud's strting at level 6.

Absolutely here for this, I genuinely love how you explain the small details and body language stuff that somehow I miss over. Take as long as you need though, what matters most is that you're safe and okay first. :)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So hiatus is over. I got my stuff back, got my videos, and wrote the next chapters already. All I need to do is some formatting, and I'm hoping to post them this week. I'm really happy with the content - I guess having all this free time gave me ample opportunity to think over what to write.

Again, thank you all for your patience.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

L E T S M O S E Y