Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Schwza posted:

This is simple: We make an even better eagle arrow, consult our newly formed star charting guild, locate the bloodfish in Kitron using astral navigation, and let loose the eagle arrow. Enkidel style drone strike.

Smh should have voted for wings so we can do a Predator impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Z the IVth posted:

Smh should have voted for wings so we can do a Predator impression.

I brought it up SO MANY TIMES

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I’m sitting here randomly getting salty years later about Diog rubbing in our faces about how we could have saved Kitron if Damuzi has chosen according to the chances melachim picked out of the strings of the fates.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if he had been at the gate instead of the palace I think that would have made the biggest difference. We already had the sword and a lifetime of unbending insane dedication.

We also lacked the blood. Who knows.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’m pretty sure Damuzi and Kitron were hosed from the get go. It was just a matter of what vantage point we had for the slaughter. Since it was something of a recursive experience the outcome was known but how we experienced it was the trip all along.

If I’m right, the storytelling prowess of it is admirable as gently caress. Like this whole thread should be archived and taught as a shining example of how to tell a permutating and evolving story. It’s truly a treasure.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m pretty sure Damuzi and Kitron were hosed from the get go. It was just a matter of what vantage point we had for the slaughter. Since it was something of a recursive experience the outcome was known but how we experienced it was the trip all along.

If I’m right, the storytelling prowess of it is admirable as gently caress. Like this whole thread should be archived and taught as a shining example of how to tell a permutating and evolving story. It’s truly a treasure.

Tomorrow I’ll go hunting around page 350 out of 700 of Diog posts for the quote where he says we couldn’t convince the wall captain to shoot at the red glowing enemy mcguffin they used to capture the dominion from outside the palace walls, and that if we’d been on the front lines we might have been able to shatter it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Diog never said we could have saved Kitron, he did one of his cryptic little "hrm perhaps"es to goon speculation that maybe Damuzi's sword had an ever so slightly weird presence because actually there was a quadruple secret melachim enchantment on it tailored for the exact situation we found ourselves in or some bullshit. That's not why Damuzi's sword was ever so slightly weird, Kitron was basically always doomed and was just a matter of seeing how much the fish would have to pay for it, even if we'd convinced Colonel Maitri (I think?) to chuck it at the blood orb it would've just done whatever a normal metal sword does when it hits a blood orb.

The sword was ever so slightly weird because it was an object of near-worship for decades, just like Bagar's Shafts banner. Sometimes humanity just loses battles and there isn't some secret perfect combo to win, in fact most of the ones we fight we seem to lose. Welcome to a war of annihilation against vastly powerful demons.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 18, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crazycryodude posted:

Diog never said we could have saved Kitron, he did one of his cryptic little "hrm perhaps"es to goon speculation that maybe Damuzi's sword had an ever so slightly weird presence because actually there was a quadruple secret melachim enchantment on it tailored for the exact situation we found ourselves in or some bullshit. That's not why Damuzi's sword was ever so slightly weird, Kitron was basically always doomed and was just a matter of seeing how much the fish would have to pay for it, even if we'd convinced Colonel Maitri (I think?) to chuck it at the blood orb it would've just done whatever a normal metal sword does when it hits a blood orb.
To quote Diog:

"... Probably."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I like to think this thread runs on xcom rules of probability.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

20% of the time, it hits every time

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

With the good winds anything is possible, even if it's .0001%

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I almost always assume that quips like that from Diog aren't fully true, it seems like too much of a peek behind the curtain for Diog's OpSec to be comfortable with. Some minor details get shared, yeah, like the swamp south of Gebeb, but I think for major plot points like the destruction of Kitron that's probably too far.

Probably.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Yeah I'm with those that feel the whole point of the exteriors was to give us a peek at the fall of one of the doomed cities.

If you want to get truly :tinfoil: you could argue it may have been triggered not by Diogs desire to tell a new story, but by someone or something wanting to increase our empathy for those cities falling or about to fall.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

We can cannonically alter probability fields in game, sometimes without respect to time. Don't let the easy answers diog has lead you to hide the truth :tinfoil:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines posted:

G. You have seen many strange and odd things while away and want to discusses them with your father. Uriah insisted that you speak with your father before making any deal with whoever is in the “Great City” of Badad and wanted to come with you, though he didn’t demand to come, he only insisted you speak with him about it first. Bring Uriah. You won’t just talk to your father about Badad, it is simply one of many things to discuss.

Next stop, Zepath! Time to talk with your father about your long and eventful trip!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

Next stop, Zepath! Time to talk with your father about your long and eventful trip!

Finally! Praise El!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Diogines posted:

This will, in no way, end up as a massive clusterfuck forever dividing the dumb squirrels in the Og suit over something stupid

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Slaan posted:

This will, in no way, end up as a massive clusterfuck forever dividing the dumb squirrels in the Og suit over something stupid

Honestly, I'm expecting us to show him the sample platter of rare SuperGems and being all pleased with ourselves for "discovering" their existence, only for Tudiya to be all "Look, I was going to wait another 50 years to tell you about these, but since you know about them already..."

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
In an ideal world we'd have some way to spin Badad that wouldn't make Tudiya immediately forbid our ever interacting with them again. That would probably involve not bringing Uriah. But in this world Tudiya is going to get Uriah's story sooner or later anyway, so we might as well give the whole story upfront now and get it over with.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Theglavwen posted:

In an ideal world we'd have some way to spin Badad that wouldn't make Tudiya immediately forbid our ever interacting with them again. That would probably involve not bringing Uriah. But in this world Tudiya is going to get Uriah's story sooner or later anyway, so we might as well give the whole story upfront now and get it over with.

When I say "discovered", I meant in the sense that we didn't know there was more than one type of Special Stone before, but now we do know that there is more than just Bluestone.
Not trying to lie about HOW we found out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Theglavwen posted:

I give decent odds he knows something's fucky about Badad already, between the archives and secret king knowledge and his own adventuring days I wouldn't be surprised if he was familiar with the situation already. Maybe not the fact that they're apparently non-mammalian (or at least non-primatal) aliens with advanced technology, but the fact that they're hyper-isolationist and in the middle of an impassable salt flat. The fact that we got through and struck a trade deal will hopefully be impressive.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Slaan posted:

Mods, new thread title plz

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Calling it now, this is where the game ends and Tudiya kills us for our heretical ways

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

alpaca diseases posted:

Mods, new thread title plz

Paradise Lost: Choose Your Own Massive Divisive Cluster gently caress

Has a nice ring to it, honestly

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
All I'm saying is that if we choose HUNGER there will be no more stupid thread fights because the decisions will always boil down to entree or dessert first. No matter what, everyone wins gets eaten eventually! The harmony of HUNGER is a glorious thing

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Yeah, there's never been a stupid fight over food before.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, there's never been a stupid fight over food before.

Is that my cue to start explaining why sharp cheddar with sweet apple pie is way better than sweet ice cream with sweet apple pie again?

sharp/sweet is better than sweet/sweet and yall know it

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Thems fighting words, and I even like sharp cheesed

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Slaan posted:

All I'm saying is that if we choose HUNGER there will be no more stupid thread fights because the decisions will always boil down to entree or dessert first. No matter what, everyone wins gets eaten eventually! The harmony of HUNGER is a glorious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAVzOeejhg

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Man we didn't even vote to give our super-sleuth dog a fighting chance to find the minerals before they get taken away from us?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I did

I voted for mineral dispatch team

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

FoxTerrier posted:

Is that my cue to start explaining why sharp cheddar with sweet apple pie is way better than sweet ice cream with sweet apple pie again?

Sharp Cheddar goes well with a fresh apple to begin with , so that's not surprising. Do you prefer to add it into the mix, shred it on as you plate it?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

It was prudent to wait for Tudiya’s word on the matter (or others really) before we give aliens radioactive material.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Man we didn't even vote to give our super-sleuth dog a fighting chance to find the minerals before they get taken away from us?

:siren:get Snarls to smell and memorize all the stones before we see dad:siren:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FoxTerrier posted:

Sriracha on apple pie.

Vv pie is a pasta, or more specifically shrimp.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 19, 2020

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

FoxTerrier posted:

A pie is just a sandwich, and cheese is an acceptable sandwich filling

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Diogines posted:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Amok and Amos’ cousin, Agog

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Blasphemaster posted:

Sharp Cheddar goes well with a fresh apple to begin with , so that's not surprising. Do you prefer to add it into the mix, shred it on as you plate it?

You put a slice/slab on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Generally I find that apple pie goes in the garbage.