Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Guh now I need more curry powder. I COULD order from Penzeys, but then I'd need to get like 5 other things for free shipping. When there's one right in town 15 minutes away but closed cuz of Everything. Dangit.
I don’t know the state of your spice cabinet, but I used this recipe to make my own a couple weeks ago. Worked just fine when I made curry roux, but I have a stupidly well stocked spice cabinet due to compulsive spice buying when I shopped pre-covid.

https://favy-jp.com/topics/1290

Resting Lich Face posted:

Curry powder is one of humanity's greatest inventions. Up there with running water and electricity.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
couple of white pizzas tonight

black forest ham, spring onion and garlic:

spinach from our garden, feta, garlic:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

Tried some plating to compensate for my lovely photography.

Chicken saltimbocca with sauteed greens, roasted potatos, and a lemon caper pan sauce.

Plating looks good, I don't know if you're looking for a quick tip on the photo front but the reason the photo looks that way is that the flash is right in line with the lens (on-axis) and is the primary source of light for the photo - if you get your source of light off the axis of the lens (by removing the flash from the hotshoe and remote triggering it from another angle), or use another primary source of light such as from a window in addition to your light there, you get less of those shadows and shiny food kinda thing.

How did it taste?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Re-do on the kimchi fried rice.
It was even better the second time around.
Like holy poo poo good.
Can I have this for every meal?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

VelociBacon posted:

Plating looks good, I don't know if you're looking for a quick tip on the photo front but the reason the photo looks that way is that the flash is right in line with the lens (on-axis) and is the primary source of light for the photo - if you get your source of light off the axis of the lens (by removing the flash from the hotshoe and remote triggering it from another angle), or use another primary source of light such as from a window in addition to your light there, you get less of those shadows and shiny food kinda thing.

How did it taste?

I can't fix much about the pics because my phone is a piece of poo poo: with flash on the lighting sucks but with flash off it just can't seem to focus correctly and takes blurry pictures. I'm choosing the least bad of two bad choices.

It tasted fantastic. I was lazy with the potatoes and really should have put them on a rack instead of on a sheet pan so they'd crisp up more but that's a minor nitpick. This is one of those things I'm gonna make all the time because it's easy and incredibly good for that small amount of effort.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I only have the baking spices there. Cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.
e - oh dang, the store I shop at IS doing curbside though. Nice.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I made chili lime cilantro butter because corn is about to be everywhere in the grocery. Also because my wife buys cilantro every drat time she goes shopping and I don't know what to do with the surplus.

sterster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 14, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Weather's getting cool so it's time for lamb shanks!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

oh poo poo we can post lunch sammies in the dinner thread, somebody let sandwich anarchist know

roast beast, caramelized onions, pickled peppers, arugula, horseradish

:monocle:

Made some fresh tagliatelle with my 2 year old son today, little red sauce with ricotta and zucchini.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

iajanus posted:

Weather's getting cool so it's time for lamb shanks!

yo.

I made some white puttanesca sauce for some pan chicken. Orzo was a shitload of garlic and pecorino. Sprouts are a little of the leftover artichoke heart oil and bits, pancetta, pecorino, galic, onion, s&p

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yo.

I made some white puttanesca sauce for some pan chicken. Orzo was a shitload of garlic and pecorino. Sprouts are a little of the leftover artichoke heart oil and bits, pancetta, pecorino, galic, onion, s&p

Oh hell yeah. Everything about that sounds glorious.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yo.

Now I'm getting hungry......

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made pork and spring onion potstickers from scratch. Folding dough/crimping is a skill I've yet to learn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raikiri posted:

Made pork and spring onion potstickers from scratch. Folding dough/crimping is a skill I've yet to learn.

They're gorgeous.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah those look killer. Hot water dough?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

large hands posted:

Yeah those look killer. Hot water dough?

Yep, 120g flour, 135ml ish hot water with a tsp salt. Kneaded 10 mins, then rested and rolled.

Also wish I had chopsticks, eating them with a fork just looks wrong.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
There's no wrong way to deliver dumplings to your face

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Moongphali bhindi, aka okra with peanuts. More or less this recipe. Very good stuff.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Big pork chop, pan seared with some santa maria seasoning. I should have let it rest more but I have no self control or regrets, best thing I've made this week

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
big plate of kimchi fried rice with prawns and bacon

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I wanted both red and green cabbage, so I bought both, and now I have an ENORMOUS, HUGE, UNBELIEVABLE amount of shredded cabbage in my refrigerator. It fills a 2.5-gallon Hefty freezer bag. If anyone in the Detroit area wants fresh, pre-shredded cabbage, hit me up. Hell, you can have the rest of the dressing I made, too.

If you still have the cabbage, you should kraut it! Massage in some salt (2-3% of total weight of cabbage) til you've got lots of juicy cabbage water (10-15min) then pack it in a jar and press down so the water covers the wilted shreds. Cover and let hang out in a cool place in your house, pressing down on it to release air bubbles whenever you remember. It's done when it's reached your preferred level of sour/stank(~2-4 weeks, less if it's hot). You can add both red and green cabbage, and I also like to add shredded carrot, sliced onion and cumin seeds for a curtido vibe that I eat with tamales/pupusas/arepas/tacos/nachos.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I also made dumps last night (using store bought dump wrappers). I gotta work on my pleats but not bad for my first time.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Small dinner party for the mother-in-law now that we're able to have a couple of people over.

I made crackers for a cheese plate using sour dough discard

We had bao

And the main event: Focaccia, Sweet potato mash with sweet & sour walnuts, 7 hour slow cooked lamb, green salad.

The next night I took some of the leftover lamb and cooked it with a tin of cherry tomatoes. I also had some leftover whole egg pasta dough in the freezer so I made some fettuccini. This was honestly one of the best things I've ever cooked.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Bao look pro, ragu looks great too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Had a hankering for a cheesesteak so I made some hoagie rolls yesterday. The recipe I followed divided the dough into sixths which is why they're so small, but next time I'm going to do quarters. The cheesesteak itself was pretty easy, got my onions, jalapeños, and mushrooms chopped and ready to go, grated some cheese, and sliced some steak as thin as I could manage with a chef's knife. Unfortunately, the only cheese readily available here is blocks of the processed stuff. It doesn't melt nearly as well as "real" American cheese though, it's weird. I grated it to try and get around that issue, but it didn't quite work out the way I wanted. I also topped them with some spare cheese just to get a little more coverage. I have real cheese in my fridge, but you don't use cheddar or parmesan on a cheesesteak. :v: I doubt I'd be able to find provolone.

Not perfect, but everything tasted right and they definitely scratched the itch. Worth the effort.

The fries are seared in a pan and then baked until they're fully cooked and crispy outside. About halfway through I take them out and flip them. Then I just toss them with salt, pepper, and other seasonings and they're good to go. I've settled on this as a easy replacement for dealing with pots of oil and all the crap that goes with deep frying.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Not sure if you need this advice, but you might consider buying a pack of sodium citrate and using Modernist Cuisine’s cheese-sauce approach? It turns most cheese into molten cheese without having to make ‘cheese sauce’.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I don't usually make Italian but working from home has enabled me to experiment more. Plus, I had some extra Parmesan from Thanksgiving that I wanted to get rid of and I wanted some variety after only cooking Chinese food since the quarantine started.

Used this recipe:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe-1914140

With a minor tweak by tempering the pasteurized eggs with the hot pasta water. I was a little worried because I started on the bacon too late while the pasta was cooking and had to drain and cool the pasta while bacon was still cooking. I also misjudged how long I was supposed to cook the garlic. Despite that, it turned out amazing and there is not hint of scrambled eggs.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Not sure if you need this advice, but you might consider buying a pack of sodium citrate and using Modernist Cuisine’s cheese-sauce approach? It turns most cheese into molten cheese without having to make ‘cheese sauce’.

This is what I do for cheesesteaks, I usually just use the pan I cooked the beef in to so it picks up some of the fond and you can adjust the texture to your liking really easily

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

I absolutely love mushrooms, they are my favourite food in the world - and with good reason!

Toasted tomato sourdough, topped with a lovely mix of chestnut, oyster and shiitake mushroom in a creamy sauce with spinach, a little wholegrain mustard and some Blacksticks Blue cheese just to give it that little more oomph... All finished off with some smokey seasoned long oyster mushrooms to bring the whole thing together.

This looks absolutely spot on. Excellent.

horchata posted:

I also made dumps last night (using store bought dump wrappers). I gotta work on my pleats but not bad for my first time.

And these... mmmm.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Yesterday:

Today:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Edward IV posted:

I don't usually make Italian but working from home has enabled me to experiment more. Plus, I had some extra Parmesan from Thanksgiving that I wanted to get rid of and I wanted some variety after only cooking Chinese food since the quarantine started.

Used this recipe:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe-1914140

With a minor tweak by tempering the pasteurized eggs with the hot pasta water. I was a little worried because I started on the bacon too late while the pasta was cooking and had to drain and cool the pasta while bacon was still cooking. I also misjudged how long I was supposed to cook the garlic. Despite that, it turned out amazing and there is not hint of scrambled eggs.

Looks like we went a similar route tonight.

I made an aglio e oglio with a little spinach.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I did a beta test of my tonkotsu ramen with the last of my store bought noodles.
I have a pasta cutter coming this week so I’ll make my noodles then.
The ajitama eggs and chashu were solid. The broth was on point. It was just so, so satisfying.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

I did a beta test of my tonkotsu ramen with the last of my store bought noodles.
I have a pasta cutter coming this week so I’ll make my noodles then.
The ajitama eggs and chashu were solid. The broth was on point. It was just so, so satisfying.

how'd you cook the chashu? I tried sous viding it but it still ended up kinda chewy instead of melt-in-your-mouthy

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

I appreciate the advice, but I'm currently working overseas and if it's not in the local stores I'm out of luck. There's a lot of little things I just can't get and shipping isn't really an option.

I am a short ferry ride away from Singapore though and they've got access to a much broader array of stuff. I also have a cousin there so once things reopen in 2023 I'll be able to ship things to their place to pick up when I visit.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Been a while.

I seem to have made a lot of pasta.

Also, cooking from cookbooks.

One of the last things I did before the shelter in place was go to a St John's Restaurant (Fergus Henderson) pop up in Chicago. There was a salad, a simple one of Roast Tomato, Little Gem and Anchovies. I've been replicating it ever since.

Chicken Breast, Chicken Skin, Green Beans, Roast Tomato, Buttermilk Yogurt and Tarragon Splooge. Mostly a Graham Elliot recipe.

Handmade Bao with Pork and Pineapple, Pickled Green Onions and Chilli Bean Paste.

Pasta in a Kale Sauce with Pickled Beetroot. Kale Sauce is from Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Burger with Inserted Diced Mushrooms and Mushroom Puree on Homemade Crusty Rolls with Fennel Coleslaw, Mushroom Bacon and Blueberry Mostarda and a Rarebit inspired Mushroom Mornay.

Pot Roast Cauliflower with Tomato and Anchovies (April Bloomfield) and Chick Peas.

Succotash Stuffed Pasta with Roast Tomato from Cool Beans by Joe Yonan. One day the book will return to the library.

Butternut Squash and Pork Ragu with Handmade Tagliatelle or whatever the gently caress my pasta maker makes that isn't spaghetti. Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden again.

Chanas Sindhi Style, Kerala, Homemade Chapati.

Sourdough Toast of course, Tonnato (Tuna blended with Mayo), Roast Tomato, Soft Boiled Eggs, Capers, Grilled Corn.

Woven Lasagna stuffed with Homemade Fresh Cheese, Prosciutto, Fresh Spinach Sauce with Peas and Snow Peas. Right off the cover of the latest Food & Wine.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

horchata posted:

how'd you cook the chashu? I tried sous viding it but it still ended up kinda chewy instead of melt-in-your-mouthy

I used this recipe: https://www.justonecookbook.com/homemade-chashu/
Result wasn’t 100% melty in the mouth. But it was tender and tasty.

I also used the left over liquid for the ajitama eggs. Which turned out amazing. Even though I couldn’t get any dark orange hooked eggs, they still had a great flavor.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
beef & broccoli over jasmine rice

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hoisin sauce basted pork chop, broccolini and zucchini pizzas cooked on the barbecue

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Getting in on the broccoli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I basically only eat dinner, and I eat late when the sun is down, and all I really have is my phone with a half busted camera, and I can't really be bothered to white balance anything (is there any photo app for an iPhone... 5 I think, or maybe 4 which works better than the default?) so I feel bad about all my lovely pictures. But at least my food is good:

Aloo methi, aka potatoes with fenugreek leaves. Absolutely delicious.