Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Escalations are cool

Except when they involve sticky pistols or bullshit like breaching charge accident kills, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oops, hosed up the ET by going to delete the videos afterwards. Silent shot from across the room, the guards instantly went into combat mode all through the castle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wolfsheim posted:

Escalations are cool

Except when they involve sticky pistols or bullshit like breaching charge accident kills, anyway

drop a gargoyle on this one woman

no you can't reload a save if she walks 3 inches out of range

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So this is finally on sale when I'm paying attention...

If I haven't played the game at all I want Hitman GOTY and Hitman 2, yeah? What's in the "gold edition" of Hitman 2? is it worth the $12 extra from the standard edition or is it just a bunch of side stuff? Sorry, I know this dumbfuck question has probably been asked a hundred times.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Gold gets you both the expansion levels, which are very good.

Edit: it also gets you special assignments for some of the base maps which are interesting but comically brief :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 19, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

WarEternal posted:

If I haven't played the game at all I want Hitman GOTY and Hitman 2, yeah? What's in the "gold edition" of Hitman 2? is it worth the $12 extra from the standard edition or is it just a bunch of side stuff? Sorry, I know this dumbfuck question has probably been asked a hundred times.

Incase you don't know as well, once you have both 1 & 2 only load up 2. It'll detect the previous game and load the remastered levels the sequel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Pilchenstein posted:

That escalation is the most perfect example of why 5 level escalations were poo poo. Hopefully they cut them down to zero levels for Hitman 3 because I don't care how little dev time they take to implement, it'd be much better spent on literally anything else :v:

The real problem with both escalations (and the reason level 4 of this one is so much worse than level 5) is that there's one objective at the very end of the process that's much higher risk than all the others, and the prep involved for it is extensive. At this point the rest of the tasks involved are easy- it's just the sticky hatchet kill/escape and the golf ball that are ruining my day. The timed runs, the lasers, the mines, none of those are remotely as miserable.

I can knock out almost everyone in the cave, but the explosion drops my frames and sends the body somewhere unpredictable everytime. I'm going to try to do the golfball kill immediately after the hack, just to speed up my attempts. I have a new sequence of actions that reliably isolates that target- seikering him as he picks up a found gun means he goes and drops it off, then becomes sick- sending him to the porta-potty area for what will hopefully be an easy isolated takedown.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 19, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played the Bahadur Dexterity (A Gilded Cage) and the Somsak Equation (Club 27) escalations today and both were cases were the fifth stage essentially was "play the fourth stage again". Although in the case of the Marrakech one that is because of our lord and savior the Electrophone coming into our lives.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

WarEternal posted:

Gold edition includes Hitman 2’s season pass. Haven Island is worth $12 alone so I recommend it, but you can always pick it up later.

No worries on the questions, Hitman 2’s purchase structure is complicated and dumb as a holdover from its Square Enix days, let alone the fact that a product can even have a “purchase structure” nowadays.

What platform are you playing on? If you’re on PC, Steam will start downloading the Hitman 2016 levels as Hitman 2 DLC once you launch and quit the game for the first time - no need to ever install 2016. If you’re on Xbox or PlayStation, you need to install 2016, go to the Store tab, redeem the “GOTY Legacy Pack” from there (for free,) and then once that downloads you can use them in Hitman 2 and uninstall 2016.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pirate Jet posted:

Hitman 2’s purchase structure is complicated and dumb as a holdover from its Square Enix days
The purchase structure is complicated and dumb because Warner published the game - IOI management bought the company back from Square Enix a full year and a half before Hitman 2 came out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
God, I so badly want a more detailed escalation creator mode.

Edit: finally nailed Eccleston Illumination level 4. By coining the golf ball guard to the right spot before seikering him, he pathed up toward Silvio's study staircase. Thish gave me the chance to knock him out and drag him into the stairwell, where I golf'd him. In there, no one even heard the explosion! With that, the rest was cake.

On the other hand, I got spotted through the scenery in an entirely new way in Arthrin Occultation. Still progress is progress- and surely there's no more worse escalations remaining for me once these are done!

edit: I knew if I whinged enough on the forums I'd finally clear these! Level 5 of Eccleston Illumination was trivial after level 4, and for Arthrin Occultation I just had to both not gently caress anything up and not be screwed by the general bugginess of Bangkok (Bangkok is so goddamn buggy). That just leaves the (relatively painless) fortuneteller challenges, and all of Hitman 1 is clear, and I can start finishing off Hitman 2. Then, uh...sniper mode. And I still need some ghost mode stuff.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 20, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

The purchase structure is complicated and dumb because Warner published the game - IOI management bought the company back from Square Enix a full year and a half before Hitman 2 came out.

I know. I’m referring to the fact that Hitman 2 was in development before Square sold the company, and integrates elements of 2016 which was published by Square, hence “as a holdover.”

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

I’d love a level where the targets “Elite Guard” is all female - you’d be completely incapable of getting a disguise and infiltrating as one.

That completely removes the unique core gameplay mechanic of social stealth. If you also make the elite guards latex fetish assassins you've faithfully replicated the failings of Absolution.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 27, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No? You can still have social stealth everywhere else, and it would obviously have to offer optional paths where you can eg. infiltrate but it takes more disguise changes or blending in more.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I think the last DLC level had an interesting hint of an idea: a level that changes the further into you get, where the storm gets really bad for your last kill. This had no GAMEPLAY effect as far as I know, but it's a neat idea.

I think that's a missing piece of the Hitman social stealth formula that could make H3 interesting. Not just learning pathing and routes and such, but also discovering how doing X causes Y to change later, making planning hits more interesting. Like, if you accident kill The Evil CEO, the Evil Banker goes somewhere else harder to get to than if you just vanish the CEO, but that's a lot harder or something.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

mary had a little clam posted:

I think the last DLC level had an interesting hint of an idea: a level that changes the further into you get, where the storm gets really bad for your last kill. This had no GAMEPLAY effect as far as I know, but it's a neat idea.

I think that's a missing piece of the Hitman social stealth formula that could make H3 interesting. Not just learning pathing and routes and such, but also discovering how doing X causes Y to change later, making planning hits more interesting. Like, if you accident kill The Evil CEO, the Evil Banker goes somewhere else harder to get to than if you just vanish the CEO, but that's a lot harder or something.

I mean, these games did already have an element of that, it was just not always overtly obvious what was going to happen or why, and it was frequently only a very small part of the big picture of a level. The Sapienza plane escape comes to mind, but in most places that sort of behavior occurs it was minor adjustments to routing or guard density, and if you wanted to you could just wait a couple of minutes until the underlying routines reasserted themselves. I think you're right that it does sometimes make the world feel too videogamey and inelastic, and it would be interesting to see if they could improve upon it. However it also seems like it would be tricky because making content that's highly nuanced but also obvious and rewarding to figure out sounds like a big development challenge for marginal payoff, in that there's probably still going to be loads of the playerbase who never interact with it.

I will say simply that the storm itself was a cool setpiece idea with a lot of wasted opportunity. Limiting or altering patrols, actively interfering with sight and sound, I like that it's a part of the level but it's an idea with so much additional potential.

Sorry, just woke up, that may be too many words for basically 'hell yeah agreed'

Also, ha, it occurs to me the sniper missions have a lot of goofy interactions like that, but...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Paris changes significantly after the fashion show ends, as does Miami at least somewhat after the race. The problem is that there isn't a good way to set up contracts to require changing the map in those ways. It'd have been super cool if the Haven storm led NPCs to seek shelter, and then if Contracts Mode had let us start a map off in a toggled state; after show/race/storm/etc., start with Strandberg already evacuated to Zaydan's compound, start with Black and Akram already meeting, whatever.

Edit: Also letting old ET layouts be used for Contracts Mode. Some of them have very different guard placement or trespassing rules, like the church graveyard being off limits for The Prince. Would be a compromise for repayable ETs: You can't officially replay them, but you can toggle the map state to their layout and make them a target and replay that way. Or add objectives for hard mode remixes (killing ETs with shotguns and hiding bodies would be insane for some of them).

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 21, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Because misery loves company and I hate myself, I played the Eccleston Illumination again.

gently caress that explosive golfball. At one point the stars aligned and I managed to drag the golfball target from the science lab roof without getting spotted with zero pacifications. But I didn't drag the body all the way up the stairs to Silvio's workshop, and the explosion made the body ragdoll right over the edge. Queue another hour of the pacify nearly everybody approach.

In hindsight it’s obvious to make him the second person puking, so he goes upstairs. But I don’t really feel like trying that now.

Maybe in half a year or so!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 22, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Because misery loves company and I hate myself, I played the Eccleston Illumination again.

gently caress that explosive golfball. At one point the stars aligned and I managed to drag the golfball target from the science lab roof without getting spotted with zero pacifications. But I didn't drag the body all the way up the stairs to Silvio's workshop, and the explosion made the body ragdoll right over the edge. Queue another hour of the pacify nearly everybody approach.

In hindsight it’s obvious to make him the second person puking, so he goes upstairs. But I don’t really feel like trying that now.

Maybe in half a year or so!

:allears: now do arthrin

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

:allears: now do arthrin

I was initially going to write something about every level of it, but it’s all about that final level, isn’t it? I just got there after a half hour of SAing the levels and just seeing it made me decide to stop and have dinner first.

Thus far it has been alright, although I imagine it’s a lot trickier without the pukegun and the electrophone. The fourth level got a bit finicky, but distracting the couple with a briefcase and the nearby gardener with a dropped pistol did the trick.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 22, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry Discendo Vox, I won't be able to share in the misery for this one.

It helps that I previously did the other escalation for Club 27, where the guy walking from Jordan's birthday party is one of the targets. I also made a contract at one point where you need to deal with the guy sweeping the basement, so I knew who goes there and where they drop the body bags. So I gave a lethal injection to the tourist, picked up an item in the garden shed, dropped the phone for the guard and then just started to knock out people in the basement who I knew would be trouble when I run by with the axe. But the time I got ready to take on the guard, our friend from the birthday party arrived and I ended up using him as a distraction for the guard while I grabbed the axe. That turned out to be rather close, I think a second later and he would been woken up.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 22, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:sigh: I was lying earlier, I still need to SA level 5.

alas.

edit: not anymore hahahahahaha, gently caress you ioi never again

Just took two more tries, running the tourist target under higher risk from the start to remove that as a failure point. Also nabbed another featured contract SA, only two more of those to go- and I know Nakar's doctor remix one will be one of them! This remix theme's actually pretty fun!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 23, 2020

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Been playing this since release and I just now figured out in Whittle Creek that if you shoot the laptop in the room across from the weapons room (follow the cable on the ground) it disables the alarm on the weapon case.

My silent murder sprees rejoice

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Been playing this since release and I just now figured out in Whittle Creek that if you shoot the laptop in the room across from the weapons room (follow the cable on the ground) it disables the alarm on the weapon case.

My silent murder sprees rejoice

whaaaat

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For the first time ever, while playing Landslide, I didn't disguise myself as Brauvomo and do the meeting the lethal way. This time I waited and.... the guards do find him. There is an entire voice acted meeting between him and the target. You can stand around in his office and listen to him freak out over the target threatening to kill him. The attention to detail in this is just.... whoa.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Protip for anyone doing the fortune teller challenges: An emetic bomb in a suitcase next to the fortune teller will send him straight to his old shop for an easy knockout- infinitely faster than waiting for him to wander the market.

edit: is there a compilation of the lines targets speak when they're cornered anywhere? Do any of the targets have unique behaviors like Renard's ocean death in the intro? I happened into some really interesting speeches by Rangan and Shah.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 25, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don’t know, but I remember Maya Pervati acting really tough when I had a gun pointed at her.

And it took me months to realize she has an prosthetic arm.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Mierenneuker posted:

And it took me months to realize she has an prosthetic arm.
Duh, she's a pirate :yarr:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lil’ Flashy returns

https://mobile.twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1266036224206217221

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You can really, really screw with the Kashmirian by helping him perform both his hits...then scooting down to the Maelstrom's room and icing him before the assassin arrives. Dude has unique lines for first getting mad that the Maelstrom is standing him up, then getting increasingly paranoid as he tries to flee the city, realizing something has gone terribly wrong.

Also he's psychotic and has been killing random people he's interacted with. There's a reason the game says he left the US after a serial killer investigation, not a series of hits.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

He also has a line for if he sees his rifle has mysteriously vanished. That makes him run towards the bus stop and there he'll say something about the Maelstrom playing cat and mouse with him, and that he was in over his head. The rest of his lines there were the same when I brought paint to the painter, but didn't calibrate the scope on the sniper rifle. Once the painting has finished, he'll just walk away from the chawl and sulk. He won't return to his room and wait for the opportunity on Shah.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 31, 2020

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

You can really, really screw with the Kashmirian by helping him perform both his hits...then scooting down to the Maelstrom's room and icing him before the assassin arrives. Dude has unique lines for first getting mad that the Maelstrom is standing him up, then getting increasingly paranoid as he tries to flee the city, realizing something has gone terribly wrong.

Also he's psychotic and has been killing random people he's interacted with. There's a reason the game says he left the US after a serial killer investigation, not a series of hits.

Mierenneuker posted:

He also has a line for if he sees his rifle has mysteriously vanished. That makes him run towards the bus stop and there he'll say something about the Maelstrom playing cat and mouse with him, and that he was in over his head. The rest of his lines there were the same when I brought paint to the painter, but didn't calibrate the scope on the sniper rifle. Once the painting has finished, he'll just walk away from the chawl and sulk. He won't return to his room and wait for the opportunity on Shah.

Oh boy I hope there's youtube of this so I don't have to set it up myself

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

Oh boy I hope there's youtube of this so I don't have to set it up myself

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahhaha

god i wish this game were more popular so it could be better documented, there's a ton of spoken dialogue in hitman 2's levels that isn't subtitled and I can barely hear it so it's a giant pain to try to hear it all

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Luckily there are angels who have uploaded bits and pieces of dialogue that most people probably missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiCZ0B7soY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn9YtUVDt3o&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vICVMF3hl4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETnaDdxT3u4
(The guy in the parking garage of Miami also makes random phone calls. I ran past him a dozen times for the Flamingo suit escalation. It's pretty much a different voice actor every time too.)

There is also the mailman in Whittleton Creek. If you approach him in the first minute of the map, he'll have a conversation with a local called Trevor. He has a multitude of lines about the package he's holding for Batty.
- This one is ticking. I guess he is into clockwork or something?
- It feels like there is something alive in there (and then a line how postal regulations don't allow that).
- I think it's the collector's edition of that video game he keeps talking about.
- It's from something called "The Mysterious Cheese Company". I guess that would explain the smell.
- I didn't know he had relatives in Columbia, but it says right here. "To uncle James, from Hector". Smells like coffee to me.

I got that final line the very first time I overheard that conversation, so I didn't know it was supposed to be a joke. Of course, the more you play Whittleton Creek, the more legitimate creepy things you discover about it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 31, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Playing Haven Island again, and every time I go into the server room, I get annoyed you can’t just break the glass and flood it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I get annoyed that there's not an easter egg with those giant windows and a kraken or colossal shark

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

I get annoyed that there's not an easter egg with those giant windows and a kraken or colossal shark
Maybe you just haven't found it yet :v:

Also, if we're posting best voice lines someone should dig out the "looks like BM" one again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I recorded and subtitled this one myself a couple of years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-IH0kgAeu0
There's still a couple of words I can't quite catch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

I always catch the beginning of that conversation, and assumed it was husband and wife having an argument about something because she sounds younger than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dabir posted:

:stare: that went so much further than I ever thought from the initial lines I heard in passing.