Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can also remember the thread not being 100% sold on the assassination change when it was announced, due to them being such a core gameplay element. Suddenly having to wait instead of simply having to amass gold wasn't universally loved. Most skeptics quickly came around, but it still shows that the old system was far from unplayable bad. So yes, CK2 changed a lot, but it was still fine at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I can also remember the thread not being 100% sold on the assassination change when it was announced, due to them being such a core gameplay element. Suddenly having to wait instead of simply having to amass gold wasn't universally loved. Most skeptics quickly came around, but it still shows that the old system was far from unplayable bad. So yes, CK2 changed a lot, but it was still fine at release.

Yeah the outcry about it being removed was why the old instant assassination for money was added back in as a game rule.

Although I do remember one of the funny things about that style of assassination is that people would sometimes use it as a way of committing suicide, because when you use one on a target and it fails, they will retaliate automatically. So you'd just spam a bunch against the Pope or someone with a shitload of money and would be basically guaranteed to die.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

New nomad ruler challenge is something. The ruler is absolutely terrible. Martial of 0, no good attributes, bad traits, everyone hates him. How did this guy make it to his mid thirties on the steppe like this.

I don't even know what to do. Haven't unpaused. I guess I'll try to beat up the nomads next to me with a slightly smaller army for the prestige and when I probably lose that fight, restart and try something else.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Coolguye posted:

what sort of consequences are you concerned about? the empire of brittania probably won't have your custom kingdom as de jure if that's what you're asking, though since it isn't created yet it may inherit it based upon the counties it expects to be part of its de jure versus the kingdom titles - i'm actually not clear on how this works.

however, even if it turns out the custom kingdom's not part of the empire's de jure, in practice this is unlikely to matter unless you pass the custom king title off to an AI that doesn't like you. in which case it's possible you'll see an independence faction arise.

Yeah mostly surrounding title claims, etc. Realise it is pretty niche, but just curious. Thanks.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Stickarts posted:

Follow-up: Are you aware of any game mechanic consequences of this little niche problem I should be aware of, aside from what I’m currently experiencing?

you could maybe get troop and tax penalties for any demesne counties that are technically in another kingdom (?)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

catlord posted:

Ah, I vaguely remember that screen. I don't remember interacting with it much, for whatever reason. Probably never having the money, I seem to remember upgrading stuff in CK1 was wildly expensive, or maybe I was just ridiculously poor. What was neat about the buildings?

That's the screen. Also SLIDERS.

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.3976 - here you can see buildings. There are a lot of simple "improve income" buildings but at least it's not just a line of money buildings. Maybe there aren't really interesting choices when you sort it out but I see something like "Grand palace: improve noble loyalty, decrease big demesne penalty" and I see some potential for complex economy instead of just defences 3 tax 4 cavalry 2.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Best Friends posted:

New nomad ruler challenge is something. The ruler is absolutely terrible. Martial of 0, no good attributes, bad traits, everyone hates him. How did this guy make it to his mid thirties on the steppe like this.

I don't even know what to do. Haven't unpaused. I guess I'll try to beat up the nomads next to me with a slightly smaller army for the prestige and when I probably lose that fight, restart and try something else.

Funny thing about nomads is that your stats and traits pretty much don't matter. Martial of 0 means nothing because martial only modifies your levy total and you don't have levies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The reason most of your vassals hate you in the nomad challenge is simply because of the lack of prestige. Join the warrior lodge, wait for a 'raid this place' mission, and get enough prestige that everyone likes you again in one siege.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Great advice, thank you both!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.3976 - here you can see buildings. There are a lot of simple "improve income" buildings but at least it's not just a line of money buildings. Maybe there aren't really interesting choices when you sort it out but I see something like "Grand palace: improve noble loyalty, decrease big demesne penalty" and I see some potential for complex economy instead of just defences 3 tax 4 cavalry 2.

Yes, the building system is one of the weak areas of CK2. Let's see if they do better in CK3. At least the special landmarks have more interesting effects.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a CK3 thread yet?

Having just got in to CK2 and enjoyed it, I'm considering getting CK3 at/near launch but I'm also wary of jumping down the Paradox DLC rabbit hole. I'll probably end up waiting it out to see where Goonpinion shakes out on the launch version.

I'm going to get it at launch, but I'm not sure how much fun I'm going to have. What we've seen of CK3 is a much-needed refinement of the base gameplay elements, and it has better graphics and everything, but I hope to god they're collecting detailed feedback from playtesters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ilitarist posted:

That's the screen. Also SLIDERS.

Ah, thanks, it's kinda coming back to me now. I do think I remember that being one of the few things that some people had an issue with in the move from 1 to 2, but at the same time... the Grand Palace is just a Noble Opinion boost and a slight increase in Max Demense Size, in CK2 terms. CK2 included a number of ways to get those little boosts through laws and technologies and traits and abilities, so I'm not surprised they'd simplify down the buildings. I see where you're coming from, but CK2 decided that those things should be based on your character and tech rather than construction, which is a decision I understand, especially as they move the game more to a role-playing style than the original "grand strategy meets The Sims" of the original (I don't know if that's controversial now, it's the description I was introduced to the game with in a very old abandoned LP of CK1 from these very forums).

If a 5 Stewardship/ 8 Diplomacy/20 Martial Viking dude conquers a territory with a Grand Palace, should they necessarily get those bonuses? While CK2 is rather weak in the area of buildings, it seems to me to have also been a specific choice in separating out character abilities and county abilities. Yeah, if said Viking conquers a decently developed county he can make use of the training grounds and shipyards and marketplaces, but should they get more loyal vassals and better control of their new lands because they sat their rear end in a nice castle?

Also, gently caress, I don't miss the sliders.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zero One posted:

Your original argument was that CK2 was not good at launch. I can't imagine anyone would argue that it's current state is unchanged from launch. But launch was still a good game.

It was a perfectly fine meal that patches and DLCs kept adding to over the years like appetizers, side dishes, and deserts. Everyone who played at launch had a great dinner and had little to complain about while everyone who kept playing saw even more to enjoy as the years went on. Of course if you look back now you'd say it was a very basic game but we can only do that with hindsight. There was no feeling of things being missing (except playable Muslims!).

Also you are really obsessed with the assassination change for some reason. It was fine for what it was until it changed to a Plot (as part of the expanded plot system) in the second major patch which was just 2 months after release.

Ok, we’ve gotten to the point where folks are doing the forums superstar trick of “read the first sentence of a post and try to take it in the light that makes the other person look like a dishonest lunatic” so I’m gonna bow out. If you’d like to go reread what I’ve said, including the post you bloody quoted where I talked about a couple different topics in the place just as you call me “obsessed” with one topic, I’m happy to continue the conversation. But if you’re gonna pull this crap I have way better things to do.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

catlord posted:

Ah, thanks, it's kinda coming back to me now. I do think I remember that being one of the few things that some people had an issue with in the move from 1 to 2, but at the same time... the Grand Palace is just a Noble Opinion boost and a slight increase in Max Demense Size, in CK2 terms. CK2 included a number of ways to get those little boosts through laws and technologies and traits and abilities, so I'm not surprised they'd simplify down the buildings. I see where you're coming from, but CK2 decided that those things should be based on your character and tech rather than construction, which is a decision I understand, especially as they move the game more to a role-playing style than the original "grand strategy meets The Sims" of the original (I don't know if that's controversial now, it's the description I was introduced to the game with in a very old abandoned LP of CK1 from these very forums).

If a 5 Stewardship/ 8 Diplomacy/20 Martial Viking dude conquers a territory with a Grand Palace, should they necessarily get those bonuses? While CK2 is rather weak in the area of buildings, it seems to me to have also been a specific choice in separating out character abilities and county abilities. Yeah, if said Viking conquers a decently developed county he can make use of the training grounds and shipyards and marketplaces, but should they get more loyal vassals and better control of their new lands because they sat their rear end in a nice castle?

Also, gently caress, I don't miss the sliders.

The point is buildings now are kinda sliders. You had provinces with varied population and loyalty of classes as well as complex set of buildings. Few buildings did just one thing. That makes for more interesting choices as this Grand Palace might be built for different reasons. And some of the buildings hade trade-offs, like moneylenders produce incone but hurt piety. In CK2 baronies are all the same and within few years you can turn any city into Venice or something. That building you build is kinda like a slider that always make some specific stat better.

Of course I'm not saying CK2 needs something like that. It was a conscious decision to move focus to provinces. Good province is the one with many baronies and you might want a lot of castles there. It doesn't really matter what specifically you build, just throw money at the holding and it gets better. Intrtnal economy is primitive but it's by design. Maybe it's better than CK1 which still tried to do everything EU did and so it had stuff like stability.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are there any recent games that uses sliders for any sort of abstraction? I never liked them, and am pretty glad to see that game design has moved past them as a whole.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Galactic Civilizations 3 doesn't just have sliders, it has 2D plane like color picker.

And Endless Space 2 has something similar but only in relatively insignificant places.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been having some issues with my game and hopefully someone here can shed some light on it.

I was going through the formation of the HRE, heir was first in line to inherit it, etc etc etc. But I had a strange problem where randomly my heir would switch from my eldest son to my second eldest, then a short time later switch back. This wasn't a big deal until I had it happen and then immediately died, leaving my now brother in charge of the HRE and me as a lovely weak younger brother.

Is this a common thing, and is there a way to prevent it? I would have reloaded but I was playing ironman and things were going great so...

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

you could maybe get troop and tax penalties for any demesne counties that are technically in another kingdom (?)

Considering my home duchy is Essex, I will dig into this! Thanks.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

I was going through the formation of the HRE, heir was first in line to inherit it, etc etc etc. But I had a strange problem where randomly my heir would switch from my eldest son to my second eldest, then a short time later switch back. This wasn't a big deal until I had it happen and then immediately died, leaving my now brother in charge of the HRE and me as a lovely weak younger brother.

HRE has an elective succession system, you can see who votes who in the Laws screen. Depending on who you play your own kingdom/duchy can have elective succession too but different people vote. Or maybe you have gavelkind and the highest title always goes to your oldest son but HRE electors like your other son more.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been having some issues with my game and hopefully someone here can shed some light on it.

Is this a common thing, and is there a way to prevent it? I would have reloaded but I was playing ironman and things were going great so...

you had some kind of electoral succession and the electors, probably just one person, kept changing their mind about who the heir should be. possibly someone was being bribed. if it happens again, look to see if one heir has like 7 supporters and the other 6, or some equally close margin. then just carpet bomb all the electors who support your undesired heir and persuade them to change their minds

this is one of the downsides of electoral systems. some of them, like eldership, can get a bit froggy because if the elders hate you, they will specifically NOT vote for the person you nominate as heir, meaning sometimes you reverse psychology them by being "oh, wow, i would love it if weak idiot son took the throne" so the elders say in unison "no, we cannot let you have your way, we will all nominate the strong genius son to spite you"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

luxury handset posted:

you had some kind of electoral succession and the electors, probably just one person, kept changing their mind about who the heir should be. possibly someone was being bribed. if it happens again, look to see if one heir has like 7 supporters and the other 6, or some equally close margin. then just carpet bomb all the electors who support your undesired heir and persuade them to change their minds

this is one of the downsides of electoral systems. some of them, like eldership, can get a bit froggy because if the elders hate you, they will specifically NOT vote for the person you nominate as heir, meaning sometimes you reverse psychology them by being "oh, wow, i would love it if weak idiot son took the throne" so the elders say in unison "no, we cannot let you have your way, we will all nominate the strong genius son to spite you"

That's the weird thing, it happened even though I had five votes for my heir and only one vote each for the others. The guy was a solid lock, which was the problem when I suddenly died and they inherited like they were supposed to, except they weren't my heir anymore.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tried the Game of Thrones mod yet again as Robb. Made pretty quick work of Joffrey by beelining for King's Landing and sieging it while he was busy fighting Stannis. Also the Watch asked me for help, so I sent them Jaime Lannister. Tee hee. Promptly made off with Joffrey's head, Cersei is in prison. Tyrion got captured in a fight, then I let him go in exchange for joining my court. Guy's got really good stats.

Unfortunately it seems you can't take the Iron Throne for yourself as Robb, kicking Joffrey off means either handing it to Stannis or Tywin. I guess of those, it's Stannis in a walk.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Tried the Game of Thrones mod yet again as Robb. Made pretty quick work of Joffrey by beelining for King's Landing and sieging it while he was busy fighting Stannis. Also the Watch asked me for help, so I sent them Jaime Lannister. Tee hee. Promptly made off with Joffrey's head, Cersei is in prison. Tyrion got captured in a fight, then I let him go in exchange for joining my court. Guy's got really good stats.

Unfortunately it seems you can't take the Iron Throne for yourself as Robb, kicking Joffrey off means either handing it to Stannis or Tywin. I guess of those, it's Stannis in a walk.
i played a game the other day as well. i wanted to see how robust a littlefinger espionage strategy could be. not very robust it turns out--although you can kidnap sansa fairly easily. what can you do with her once you have her? marry her as far as i can tell. i'm still not sure what else littlefinger had planned. the war of kings went very strangely however. daenerys' initial invasion fails miserably. stannis wins the iron throne. but everyone hates stannis. fair enough. except aegon targaryan--son of elia martell--is still alive somehow? danny finds aegon, marries him, and they are swept onto the throne by an enormous domestic revolt.

Zane fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 18, 2020

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Zane posted:

except aegon targaryan--son of elia martell--is still alive somehow?

The TV show diverges from the books the further on it goes. It looks like the mod follows the books?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Weavered posted:

The TV show diverges from the books the further on it goes. It looks like the mod follows the books?

The mod does follow the books. In the books, since it's been nine years since the last one came out, it's still not confirmed whether that is the real Aegon or an imposter. The mod splits the difference: if he wins his war for the Throne, on his own or with Daenerys's help, he's legitimate; if he's beaten back, he's an imposter and becomes just "Aegon of Essos."

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Why is it that I can pick up Stellaris as a newbie and roll right along, but CKII just stops me in my tracks :cry: I just can't get the mechanics of this game for some reason.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

a mysterious cloak posted:

Why is it that I can pick up Stellaris as a newbie and roll right along, but CKII just stops me in my tracks :cry: I just can't get the mechanics of this game for some reason.

What are you struggling with in particular?

In general, my biggest advice for new players is to start low and go slow. Taking a county ruler with no vassals gives you ample time to just play around with the UI, and more importantly it makes it so that there is basically no time pressure. Doing nothing for years on end just to roll in gold is perfectly fine. You generally only get in trouble when you want to expand, but that is something for a few steps down the line. Figure out what systems do what and why, then move on to bigger things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CK2 tends to involve a lot of finagling for excuses to do things. You have to hunt for claims to make war upon those who share your religion, you have to connive excuses to depose your subordinates without getting an opinion penalty, you have to search for the right marriage to get good alliances. It can be frustrating to get a handle over, but it feels nice once you get a hang of things.

That's one of the reasons why a lot of people prefer playing pagans, because they have mechanics that often allow them to make war more arbitrarily. You also can just play nearby some people who don't share your religion so you can always have a handy excuse for a holy war. Ireland is good for learning to play the game when you don't know how anything works, but Spain can give you a faster-paced, more exciting start. Kill your religious rivals, kill your brothers, unite the peninsula.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, ck2 is unorthodox as a 4x because you're highly discouraged from rapid, relentless expansion and you have to pay a ton of attention to interpersonal relationships between characters. there's really no other game out there which ties your hands as a player with having to give a poo poo about the count of dickton's hog farm problems, or preventing you from conquering territory because it would be Impolite to do so. like in stellaris you're never going to be prevented from expanding because you're currently an obese goonlord who is too sad to get out of bed

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I don't think there's anything specific I'm struggling with - it may be a detail about how to get troops on to and off of a ship (thanks tutorial, for the 50th time), to some of the mechanics of the feudal system.

I didn't have much going on at work today so I booted up the tutorial (again), got to the invasion of Canaris and got irritated because I didn't have enough ships to move the armies around and couldn't figure it out. Everything up to that point had been fine.

I've also tried the Ireland(?) scenario that has been posted before but still ran into the same issues.

I do seem to recall starting a game from scratch, and kept the thing going for about 100 years, so maybe I just need to do that and not worry about blowing up the kingdom.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ships can hold 100 people per ship, so a stack of 25 ships can hold up to 2500 troops. You have to manually merge together fleets in order to get the numbers to properly count; if you that stack of 25 ships was instead a stack of 17 and a stack of 8, you could still hold a combined 2500 troops, but they'd have to be in a stack of 1700 and a stack of 800 in order to fit properly. Other than that, you just need to move the boats into the water near a shoreline the troops are in and then have the troops walk onto the boat.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It's important to note that to merge any units they need to all be simultaneously selected. To do that, click and drag to form a box that encompasses all of them. Maybe that's really obvious, but I probably put ~100 hours into the game before I learned that. Before CK2, the Civilization series had been the only 4X strategy games I'd played so selecting multiple things in that manner was not apparent to me. I guess I didn't think at the time that it would play by RTS rules in that regard.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

luxury handset posted:

some of them, like eldership, can get a bit froggy because if the elders hate you, they will specifically NOT vote for the person you nominate as heir, meaning sometimes you reverse psychology them by being "oh, wow, i would love it if weak idiot son took the throne" so the elders say in unison "no, we cannot let you have your way, we will all nominate the strong genius son to spite you"

Wow, I can't believe that CK2 is that historically accurate!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary on cultures and cultural innovations

And innovations are in fact replacement of technologies, it seems

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sounds a lot more advanced than the CK2 "set it and forget it" tech system.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I started playing CK2 again after not playing for a year or two. Is there something I can do to keep nations from blobbing for eternity with no internal strife? Some setting at game start or a mod? I have never seen either of the two big muslim empires in the standard start fall apart. Usually the only thing that has a chance to hold them back is the Byzantines, but they always have constant civil wars which result in them being picked apart piece by piece. Multiple times now the HRE has eaten most of France and gone on to conquer North Africa.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary on cultures and cultural innovations

And innovations are in fact replacement of technologies, it seems

Firefox really doesn't like that page. I opened it in a new tab, read a little bit and then went to the bathroom. When I came back my PC was chugging, so I checked the task manager and Firefox was up to ~10GB of ram usage. Closing the tab fixed it, but drat.

Tried opening it again, and the tab almost instantly consumes 1GB of RAM and increases by about 75-100MB per second.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Played about couple of hours, figured out that sieges are expensive, made my council actually do stuff...

...and had my devoted, peaceful wife start a rebellion and try to take a county for herself. She's now in prison and may be plotting to kill me? :stare:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

a mysterious cloak posted:

Played about couple of hours, figured out that sieges are expensive, made my council actually do stuff...

...and had my devoted, peaceful wife start a rebellion and try to take a county for herself. She's now in prison and may be plotting to kill me? :stare:

does she have any titles for herself alread?, and she definitely has some claims to titles she wants

watch out for people with the Ambitious trait. it's a great trait for you to have, less so for vassals. ambitious people will swing for the fences when it comes to trying to start poo poo. keep an extremely close eye on people who are ambitious, deceitful, and have a high intrigue score, they will not hesitate to murder. like absolutely never land any rando in your court who is ambitious unless you can completely guarantee their loyalty at all times. on the other hand, Content people make excellent vassals to just hold down counties without complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Ethiser posted:

I started playing CK2 again after not playing for a year or two. Is there something I can do to keep nations from blobbing for eternity with no internal strife? Some setting at game start or a mod? I have never seen either of the two big muslim empires in the standard start fall apart. Usually the only thing that has a chance to hold them back is the Byzantines, but they always have constant civil wars which result in them being picked apart piece by piece. Multiple times now the HRE has eaten most of France and gone on to conquer North Africa.

I use the Twilight of Empires mod to try and hold empires back but it only slows them a tiny bit, and only works on empire tier titles.