Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

before the oil Norway was just trash, better to be thrown away

This is a myth. A myth we seem very eager to believe in Norway. Norway was actually doing pretty drat well and was pretty prosperous long before we got the oil. Without the oil thigns would be different for sure, but likely we would have been in much the same situation as Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and other such countries are (which is very similar to Norway), we just wouldn't have been as turbo-charged (though much of that turbo-charging has gone into savings and investments rather than being directly spent), and our national economy likely would be more diversified.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the strength of the oil lobby in this country becomes readily apparent whenever someone suggests that maybe we should start funding other things as well

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
If the Corona crisis breaks the EU we might get to try Kalmarunionen 2.0.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Swede spotted.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

If you're worried about sweden having too much power we can split sweden in two, Svealand and Götaland. That would make everyone happy even us Swedes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah. That's a very Swedish way of thinking about it as well.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Drawing arbitrary lines on a map is a time honered tradion and honestly I can't see it go wrong this time.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo sweden should annex southeastern norway up to and including akershus (oppland amd hedmark debatable) and give skåne back to denmark

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Whoops, looks like SSI was bad at math.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

note that this is driven pretty much entirely by resentment against oslo as a phenomenon and a desire to see their eternal inferiority neurosis actualised in a real way

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hønefoss as new capital.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oslo as capital of Scandinavia. We have the best kebab places drat it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

No. Drammen has the best kebabs in Norway. Oslo definitely has the highest number of decent to good ones (because you know, size), but the best kebabs are in Drammen. Bergen somehow is just loving terrible, I've pretty much never eaten a good kebab in Bergen. At least not in the city center, honorable mentions go to Daniel Rullekebab in Laksevåg and Nirvana Kebab in Sandviken, but those are very much an exception from the norm (and Nirvana's kebabs are a bit atypical for both Norway and Bergen, so it's a bit different). Anyway Oslo is good, but Drammen is the best if it's kebabs you're after. And practically every kebab shop you can find wherever you drat please in eastern Norway is better than about 90% of what exists in Bergen. Seriously what the gently caress is up with that?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 19, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

No. Drammen has the best kebabs in Norway. Oslo definitely has the highest number of decent to good ones (because you know, size), but the best kebabs are in Drammen. Bergen somehow is just loving terrible, I've pretty much never eaten a good kebab in Bergen. At least not in the city center, honorable mentions go to Daniel Rullekebab in Laksevåg and Nirvana Kebab in Sandvike, but those are very much an exception from the norm (and Nirvana's kebabs are a bit atypical for both Norway and Bergen, so it's a bit different). Anyway Oslo is good, but Drammen is the best if it's kebabs you're after. And practically every kebab shop you can find wherever you drat please in eastern Norway is better than about 90% of what exists in Bergen. Seriously what the gently caress is up with that?

i'm convinced that it's because central bergen is so dense and kebabs are mostly drunk people food so the main driver of demand has been price for a while. this, imo, is why the best ones have been out of the main thoroughfares, as you identify

it has been getting better recently though, more german-style places have been popping up

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Randarkman posted:

No. Drammen has the best kebabs in Norway. Oslo definitely has the highest number of decent to good ones (because you know, size), but the best kebabs are in Drammen. Bergen somehow is just loving terrible, I've pretty much never eaten a good kebab in Bergen. At least not in the city center, honorable mentions go to Daniel Rullekebab in Laksevåg and Nirvana Kebab in Sandviken, but those are very much an exception from the norm (and Nirvana's kebabs are a bit atypical for both Norway and Bergen, so it's a bit different). Anyway Oslo is good, but Drammen is the best if it's kebabs you're after. And practically every kebab shop you can find wherever you drat please in eastern Norway is better than about 90% of what exists in Bergen. Seriously what the gently caress is up with that?

I'll be honest here and just say that I've never had a REALLY good schwarma, kebab or shish taouk in Norway. I haven't had any in Sweden and only one in Denmark though. Hell, I've never had magically good pizza in Norway either.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also oslo as the capitol of a real country would be horrifying, we'd end up invading east timor out of some bizarre appropriation of great power politics

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

gently caress now I really want a kebab.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the latter-day norwegian political elite is honestly one of the most pathetic ones in existence

it's not that they're especially bad at their jobs, it's that they don't seem to understand that they're involved in real politics at all. they're attempting to emulate a bunch of guys who attempt to emulate the West Wing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

abske_fides posted:

I'll be honest here and just say that I've never had a REALLY good schwarma, kebab or shish taouk in Norway. I haven't had any in Sweden and only one in Denmark though. Hell, I've never had magically good pizza in Norway either.

Had a great loving kebab in Tromsø. Was even sober for it a couple of times and goddamn, it was still loving perfect.

Magically good pizza in Norway is Superhero Pizza in Trondheim. The taco pulled pork cheddar mozzarella red onion avocado aioli and salsa is loving incredible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

abske_fides posted:

Well. I can give you two recommendations for Drammen at least. Well kind of two and-a-half. The first is Snappy's Kebab, there's really two of these one on the Bragernes side (the side with the brewery) and one on the Strømso side (the side with the train station) of the river, I've historically preferred the Bragernes one. It's very much a fast food style döner in a pita (you order that in Drammen, not rullekebab, that said the kebab plate is also really good and you get a pita on the side anyway), nothing really fancy about it, doesn't try to wow you with ingredients or anything, the secret's in the sauce (the hot sauce can be really hot, but it seems to vary a bit from time to time) and the fact that it's actual döner kebab, like this

and not just minced meat in a drawer (the Bergen experience). Decently enough priced as well.

EDIT: https://www.nrk.no/vestland/kjorte-14-timer-for-a-spise-kebab-1.6150165

Other recommendation is a restaurant called Capapdocia right by the train station. As you might have guessed they serve Turkish food, and it's a proper restaurant, not just a fast food place (not to disparage fast food, as there's a time and place for that), but they do takeway and they've got kebabs and they're good (and about the same price as most fast food kebabs) and different from the typical fast food kebab, and like most Turkish food it's not spicy. You'll also often get some tea while you're waiting for your food, typically unprompted in my experience (though keep in mind this is Turkish tea, so it's like 95% sugar).

There are also those who swear by Galaxy, which is closer to Bragernes square IIRC. But I can't really quite recall what they're like as I never go there. Also most of the people who swear by Galaxy buy rullekebabs, the heathens.

e: Also, not Drammen and not kebabs. But this is the best burger place in the country. '
https://www.dn.no/mat/mat/handel/okonomi/texburger-selger-1000-hamburgere-om-dagen/2-1-643239
Also interesting in that it really is nothing fancy in terms of ingredients. You can get a burger, with or without cheese, and fries or no fries. That's kind of it. And they use a pretty good coleslaw and dressing. I mean there's lots of places around that have interesting and often tasty burgers with various ingredients, but they're still outclassed by Texburger in the end.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 19, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Whoops, looks like SSI was bad at math.

No, they just included infections which happened abroad when estimating reproduction rate (smittetryk). This made them overshoot the "domestic" reproduction rate.

Doesn't Olso have an airport in a stupid location with frequent weather bad enough to cancel flights? That would be a silly place to put the capital. Let's put the capital on Anholt, and expand the island.

PederP fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 19, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PederP posted:

Doesn't Olso have an airport in a stupid location with frequent weather bad enough to cancel flights? That would be a silly place to put the capital. Let's put the capital on Anholt, and expand the island.

I don't think so? Gardermoen is like 30 minutes from Oslo and there really isn't much in the way of crazy mountains or fjords in south eastern Norway, so the geographical conditions are mostly what you'd find in Oslo I'd think.

I had a look at the wiki page though and... huh.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1988, a majority of the government chose Hurum as their preferred location, and Minister of Transport Kjell Borgen withdrew from his position. In 1989, new weather surveys from Hurum showed unfavorable conditions. There were large protests from meteorologists and pilots who stated that the surveys were manipulated. Two government committees were appointed, and both concluded that there were no irregularities in the surveys.

Since Hurum could no longer be used, the government again recommended Gardermoen as the location. [ ... ]

The choice of Gardermoen has spurred controversy, also after the matter was settled in parliament. In 1994, Engineer Jan Fredrik Wiborg, who claimed that falsified weather reports had been made, died after falling from a hotel window in Copenhagen. Circumstances about his death were never fully cleared up and documents about the weather case disappeared.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's an NRK Brennpunkt documentary about that case. I can't recap it because I was only half paying attention to it when it aired but it was a weird death.
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/brennpunkt/1999/FFAD12006999

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

This is a myth. A myth we seem very eager to believe in Norway. Norway was actually doing pretty drat well and was pretty prosperous long before we got the oil. Without the oil thigns would be different for sure, but likely we would have been in much the same situation as Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and other such countries are (which is very similar to Norway), we just wouldn't have been as turbo-charged (though much of that turbo-charging has gone into savings and investments rather than being directly spent), and our national economy likely would be more diversified.

My in-laws used to go on vacation to Norway in the 70-80s cause it was much cheaper than going on vacation in Sweden.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Oslo's kebab quality has gone downhill in recent years, starting around the time Torggata was gentrified. We lost some good places back then, like Marino, with it's marinated cubes of lamb, home-baked pita and pakistani-influenced sauces. Worse yet, the lack of competition seems to be affecting the ones who survived. Mediterranean Grill's meat is fried to a crisp and extremely dry these days, the pita is standard frozen, there's no marinade to speak of and the sauce has gotten tamer. Istanbul and Balkan are OK, but sort of a pain to get to, not really worth it. The Corner was a hidden treasure with Swedish kebab, but closed after a divorce.

Please, if anyone has a lead on good kebab let me know!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

OsloChristiania as capital of Scandinavia. We have the best kebab places drat it.

Back to the proper name

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Back to the proper name

That's stupid.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to reiterate, oslo having to manage a real country would have completely horrific results, do not do it

there would be pogroms within a decade

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

That's stupid.

Stupider than putting the capital of Scandinavia in Norway? lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Stupider than putting the capital of Scandinavia in Norway? lol

Scandinavia isn't a country.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

No, they just included infections which happened abroad when estimating reproduction rate (smittetryk). This made them overshoot the "domestic" reproduction rate.

Exactly, bad at math.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Put the capital in Gothenburg and we’ll piss of the right people imo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fox Cunning posted:

Put the capital in Gothenburg and we’ll piss of the right people imo.
Hökensås is the only sensible solution. Equidistant from all current capitals, and plenty of room to build a capital from scratch. Gothenburg is the most sensible location if you absolutely have to have a large town as a base though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

Scandinavia isn't a country.

Try reading this page again, maybe? You apparently missed some posts

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hökensås is the only sensible solution. Equidistant from all current capitals, and plenty of room to build a capital from scratch. Gothenburg is the most sensible location if you absolutely have to have a large town as a base though.

imo we should build the capital of scandinavia on some bizarre island somewhere

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Gotland is a pretty bizarre island.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comes the hour, comes the island: Bornholm.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

Pepparholm is just perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted: