Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Any state that doesn't open also has the big problem of what, exactly, is the alternative?

Maryland can't print money and give it to people. Staying closed kneecaps tax revenues, and if the federal government is refusing to help and congress can't (or won't) act, then what's your recourse? Short of printing state coupons and vouchers, no one state (or even group of states) can weather a prolonged stoppage of consumption and economic activity.

This crisis illustrates a lot of failings in America but one of the more under-discussed ones is just how bad federalism is as a concept and how inadequate it is to respond to any sort of national disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Any state that doesn't open also has the big problem of what, exactly, is the alternative?

Maryland can't print money and give it to people. Staying closed kneecaps tax revenues, and if the federal government is refusing to help and congress can't (or won't) act, then what's your recourse? Short of printing state coupons and vouchers, no one state (or even group of states) can weather a prolonged stoppage of consumption and economic activity.

This crisis illustrates a lot of failings in America but one of the more under-discussed ones is just how bad federalism is as a concept and how inadequate it is to respond to any sort of national disaster.

rent freeze and redistributing goods, idk, money isn't real

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

the personal freedom and limited government of nationwide segregation, limitless incarceration and border concentration camps

for a certain class, yes

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
The Rose Bowl is an American outdoor athletic stadium, located in Pasadena, California, a northeast suburb of Los Angeles. At a modern capacity of an all-seated configuration at 92,542,[1] the Rose Bowl is the 16th-largest stadium in the world, the 11th-largest stadium in the United States, and the 10th largest NCAA stadium.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

the personal freedom and limited government of nationwide segregation, limitless incarceration and border concentration camps

none of those things applies to the people that watch cnn

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

snoo posted:

rent freeze and redistributing goods, idk, money isn't real

There are real limits to what a state government can do and declaring a statewide rent moratorium, absent a push from above, is probably one of those things.

You're right, money isn't real and it's all just dumb illusion, but if you (the 'you' in this case being some bumpkin governor) start pulling at the edges of that illusion the entire thing collapses very quickly. I don't think any state is desperate enough yet to really upset things by grabbing masses of power for the governorship.

I'm also still of the opinion that we haven't even seen a first wave peak and this situation is going to have moments of rapid deterioration followed by long periods of relative stability. Which is terrible for Americans and humans in general but is how history is usually made.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/mxadamcom/status/1262773510721527809

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
this guy went through all the effort to make this thing without recognizing how dumb it is

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: :rip:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1262811310464565250?s=20

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Crazyweasel posted:

when it’s all said and done this probably will significantly reduce the ranks of the white middle class imo. lot of downward mobility going on, faster transition to third world type stratification (whole us economy is now built on printing and exporting dollars, we got Dutch disease)

Yup. Thiel, Musk, Kushner, Bannon and the rest of the ghouls will get what they wanted: neo-feudalism with fascist characteristics.

Transforming America into a moronic throwback so these goons can buy an extra yacht and torture an extra bloodboy. Nice one guys.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
could you do this with hydrox??

https://twitter.com/KalhanR/status/1227256236346769408?s=19

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

euphronius posted:

I would happily let you die for my freedom!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1262811507903127557

ah well ok then

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Our governor in Iowa kept insisting that 'she trusts Iowans will do the right thing' despite every piece of evidence ever showing that the only way to get compliance from most people is orders.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Didn’t care for Oreos until some of the new flavors came out. Peanut Butter Oreos kick rear end.

No joke I know someone at work who watches science videos concerning rocketships and stars but he believes 5G signal towers enhance the capabilities of COVID by weakening people’s immune systems.

Cognitive dissonance is wild. Seeing people trust scientists but suddenly grow skeptical around doctors talking about the virus. Trump people would believe Trump controls the weather if some Qanon Quack on Twitter said he could.

David Graeber posted:

The funny thing after I wrote the piece was that there were two levels of response. First were from the science buffs who regularly appeared to scold me that I know nothing about science otherwise I would not ignore all the amazing things that are going on, or were just about to appear. Flying cars have been about to appear for about sixty years now. The other group were the actual scientists, who almost invariably said: yes true! It is impossible to get grants for blue-skies research any more. The system is set up to ensure there are no longer any real breakthroughs.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

"i strongly recommend you kiss my rear end!!!1" i proclaim while inhaling a chili 5-way in between coughing fits

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Our governor in Iowa kept insisting that 'she trusts Iowans will do the right thing' despite every piece of evidence ever showing that the only way to get compliance from most people is orders.

these sorts of statements are pretty plain abdications of responsibility by turning it once again into a matter of american "personal choice" whether you will infect yourself, your family, and hundreds of strangers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I've thought a lot about this in Illinois, which has a ton of fiscal troubles. Local governments rely on high property tax (I believe only new Jersey has higher per capita levies), high sales tax (often highest in the nation) and a low income tax (3% flat, with constitutional amendment to make it progressive and hit high earners on the ballot this fall). It also has one of the worst pension problems in the nation at the state and local level, and doesn't tax pensions as income for revenue. It just got out of a 4 year republican governorship whose solution to budget issues was not having a budget and not paying vendors for years on end.

And to top things off, it's one of the only states in the region fighting opening up.

Several towns already are in de facto receivership by the courts, with courts ordering tax receipts to go to pensions instead of other services. Chicago famously has sold off a lot of assets like parking meters for short term revenue, and issued lots of bonds, and the state has as well. And the world class uni system relies for revenue from foreign students, mostly Chinese, since the state hasn't funded it in decades.

If Trump gets reelected and Illinois does a good job of keeping it pensioners from all dying from covid, the state is going to be utterly, insanely hosed. The CTU just got a sizable contract after a strike, so there's no savings to be had there. Issuing massive amounts of bonds at all levels and praying the income tax bill goes through could help, but if this upcoming depression happens who knows if high earners will even stay.

The reward for being competently governed in a plague is going to be a test case for state bankruptcy. I don't know what else can be done short of sabotaging the southwests dams and aqueducts and use the victory in the water war to drive people back to the world's largest body of fresh water

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 19:54 on May 19, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao hahahah

he just gave up

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Its cool to find out in real time that yes, Hobbes was right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

governor: Do whatever u want idk :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

federalism is fine when the president and senate aren’t run by paleo fascists and capital

yeah so I guess you are right it’s broken

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

governor: Do whatever u want idk :shrug:

I'm looking forward to the spike around June 3rd. If I wasn't forced back to work in the office this week, I'd never leave my house again until at least October.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Chicane_Coyote/status/1262519011310354432

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm looking forward to the spike around June 3rd. If I wasn't forced back to work in the office this week, I'd never leave my house again until at least October.

my boss on a Skype today said basically see you next year

so that’s good

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1262816128453222400?s=20

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

a million metal nerds rolling their eyes saying "Death Angel is not a death metal band"

a million more saying "Dark Angel is better"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

mastershakeman posted:

I've thought a lot about this in Illinois, which has a ton of fiscal troubles. Local governments rely on high property tax (I believe only new Jersey has higher per capita levies), high sales tax (often highest in the nation) and a low income tax (3% flat, with constitutional amendment to make it progressive and hit high earners on the ballot this fall). It also has one of the worst pension problems in the nation at the state and local level, and doesn't tax pensions as income for revenue. It just got out of a 4 year republican governorship whose solution to budget issues was not having a budget and not paying vendors for years on end.

And to top things off, it's one of the only states in the region fighting opening up.

Several towns already are in de facto receivership by the courts, with courts ordering tax receipts to go to pensions instead of other services. Chicago famously has sold off a lot of assets like parking meters for short term revenue, and issued lots of bonds, and the state has as well. And the world class uni system relies for revenue from foreign students, mostly Chinese, since the state hasn't funded it in decades.

If Trump gets reelected and Illinois does a good job of keeping it pensioners from all dying from covid, the state is going to be utterly, insanely hosed. The CTU just got a sizable contract after a strike, so there's no savings to be had there. Issuing massive amounts of bonds at all levels and praying the income tax bill goes through could help, but if this upcoming depression happens who knows if high earners will even stay.

The reward for being competently governed in a plague is going to be a test case for state bankruptcy. I don't know what else can be done short of sabotaging the southwests dams and aqueducts and use the victory in the water war to drive people back to the world's largest body of fresh water

It feels like we're in a weird inbetween here. If say Illinois defaults on its debts, then what? You can't move Chicago or repossess a river. All the buildings and people there will continue to be there.

I'm not an attorney so I don't really see what functionally happens in that case, unless it's just paper changing hands and the Illinois treasurer just turning his pockets inside out and shrugging.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Fredy Perlman and Edward Abbey were Right.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

I read the replies. :rip: is me

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

horny is prohibited

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Egg Moron posted:

a million metal nerds rolling their eyes saying "Death Angel is not a death metal band"

a million more saying "Dark Angel is better"

my dick dont get hard no more since the covid. well, that and satan.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SuzyKhimm/status/1262753832615899137

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

i'm thinking this is the second take, and the first one where he didnt remove the top cookie part is funnier

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

also states will end up printing money before the end of this

50% chance imho

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/coolp1np/status/1262814883982106624

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It feels like we're in a weird inbetween here. If say Illinois defaults on its debts, then what? You can't move Chicago or repossess a river. All the buildings and people there will continue to be there.

I'm not an attorney so I don't really see what functionally happens in that case, unless it's just paper changing hands and the Illinois treasurer just turning his pockets inside out and shrugging.

Loans from the world bank, massive austerity, the end of all public education

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

gotta respect the government for being honest and saying "gently caress it you're on your own"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nooneofconsequence posted:

gotta respect the government for being honest and saying "gently caress it you're on your own"

I know right? I can guarantee that as of an hour ago, many bars and restaurants just opened their doors.